Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 21:40 - Dec 17 with 10381 viewssaxbend

I realise the year's not over yet, and I'll probably make one or two more trips to the cinema before the end of 2014, but I've seen pretty much every film I have been anticipating so I am more or less settled on the best and worst of the year.

My top ten are as follows:

10. Muppets Most Wanted
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Calvary
7. Edge of Tomorrow
6. Gone Girl
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
3. The Lego Movie
2. Haider
1. Nightcrawler

Honorable mentions to:
Before I Go To Sleep (I don't want to lazily write it off as forgettable but I only remember that I enjoyed it at the time, and not very much more).
Interstellar (flawed but excellent nonetheless and a massive improvement on the highly over rated 2001: A Space Odyssey which is carried by one or two scenes with HAL and has little more than that to offer).
Starred Up (entertaining and well made, but gritty and unambitious).
St Vincent (I saw it last weekend and laughed a lot).
X-Men Days of Future Past. (Nothing like as bad as I thought it would be and an excellent way to do a handover from an old cast to a new cast in a film series. Take note, Star Trek Generations.)

I see a lot of films, but I'm usually pretty good at avoiding the bad ones altogether. I did see one or two on a whim that turned out to be rubbish, and some others that should have been good but just weren't.

They include:
The Nut Job (just a really sub-par animated film that was neither funny nor interesting)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (really badly written and such a poor follow up to the previous one- though it seems most people dismissed the first one as ordinary but loved this)
Amazing Spiderman 2. (Ruined by bad storytelling, bad dialogue and weak characters. Basically the writers droppped the ball.)
Postman Pat (How did they manage to get Postman Pat wrong???)
Godzilla ( despite being fine with the slow buildup, I struggled to stay awake during the eventual climactic action seens. Just a reall dull film all round).

I'm not including 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club (both excellent) or the absolutely awful The Wolf of Wall Street as many people consider them to be 2013 films.
Over to you.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 21:59 - Dec 17 with 6214 viewsloftboy

I reckon the best will be dumb and dumber 2, the worst has to be the Harry hill movie.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:14 - Dec 17 with 6196 viewsBromleyHoop

Really enjoyed Gravity.
Worst film - inbetweeners 2. Apart from one scene it was shockingly badly written. So disappointing.
Best old film I'd seen this Year for the first time - Seppuku. Japanese Samurai film from 1962. Slow but absolutely brilliant.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:19 - Dec 17 with 6182 viewsKerryE

Best - The Imitation Game
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:33 - Dec 17 with 6144 viewsTheBlob

Worst Interstellar.shocking science and totally predictable.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:36 - Dec 17 with 6144 viewsWanderR

Nightcrawler and The Guest get my nod for best flicks of the year.

Current location: OX10

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:40 - Dec 17 with 6138 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1. Boyhood
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Two Days, One Night

Calvary was good, too.
Yet to see Nightcrawler.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:48 - Dec 17 with 6126 viewsTrance_Trousers

Predestination

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:51 - Dec 17 with 6116 viewsMarc

The Equalizer
Login to get fewer ads

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 23:39 - Dec 17 with 6068 viewsToast_R

Fury for me, can't wait for the Blu Ray release and whacking it up on my new Yamaha 7.1 system. Spine chilling hearing those shells whizzing through the cinema.

Worst, I'd go for Guardians of the Galaxy. Total total dross. How crap like that gets commissioned is beyond me.

Not a movie but the current series of Homeland is f*cking sensational viewing.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2014 23:40]
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 00:16 - Dec 18 with 6028 viewsPeterHucker

The Possibilities are Endless (documentary about musician Edwyn Collins & his recovery from 2 strokes)
Locke (not sure if that was 2013 or 2014?)
The Babadook
not seen final part of Hobbit yet but I'm sure that's going to be good (if you like that sort of thing which I do)
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:11 - Dec 18 with 5995 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 00:16 - Dec 18 by PeterHucker

The Possibilities are Endless (documentary about musician Edwyn Collins & his recovery from 2 strokes)
The Babadook
not seen final part of Hobbit yet but I'm sure that's going to be good (if you like that sort of thing which I do)

Please give a look at Blue Ruin and Predestination.

Blue Ruin in particular, I expect this to get some sort of mention at the Oscars.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:16 - Dec 18 with 5993 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Worst films? The Amazing Spiderman 2, dreadful!
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 08:17 - Dec 18 with 5891 viewsMarc

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:16 - Dec 18 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Worst films? The Amazing Spiderman 2, dreadful!

TMNT was pretty bad as well.

Was a fan of the show as a youngster and feel they could have done much better with it.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:06 - Dec 18 with 5841 viewsdaveB

I only get to see kids films at the cinema usually so best two for me were lego Movie and Paddington.

I do like the look of Gone Girl though but will wait for it to come on Sky
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:48 - Dec 18 with 5810 viewsboobishabang

St. Vincent had me in tears, is a good one to watch. The Maze runner isnt a bad film and me and the wife both enjoyed Stonehurst Asylum and Maleficent.

Marvellous is a top top film that was shown straight on TV, great performance by Toby Jones as Neil Baldwin.

TMNT was utter dog, loved the original film as a kid, so disapointed with this re-make.
As above so Below was also a poor-strange film.

Jury out on Predestination, great idea and cleverly fimed, just messes with the mind a bit too much!
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 11:56]
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:53 - Dec 18 with 5803 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watched Under the Skin last night. Well made, but completely unengaging.

Johansson has no been in two of my most over-rated films ever - Lost in Translation being the other.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:50 - Dec 18 with 5756 viewsHantsR

Boyhood and Gone Girl were the best I saw at the cinema. I didn't rave about Pride as some folks did - was also a bit disappointed with Northern Soul.

As another poster mentioned, Marvellous with Toby Jones as Neil Baldwin was just superb.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 12:04 - Dec 18 with 5732 viewsDiscodroids

easy for me.. jonathen glazers 'under the skin'.

saw ben wheatleys 'kill list' and 'a field in england' for the first time this year.

magic....with some mushrooms thrown in.

any rom com makes me ill.

as for on the box...'true detective' was imperious....those cut out people from lone star beer cans..

the child killing white trash hick with the james mason accent was off the charts
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 12:11]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 12:05 - Dec 18 with 5728 viewsDiscodroids

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 00:16 - Dec 18 by PeterHucker

The Babadook

will look out for that edwin collins one.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 12:12 - Dec 18 with 5709 viewsPommyhoop

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:11 - Dec 18 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Please give a look at Blue Ruin and Predestination.

Blue Ruin in particular, I expect this to get some sort of mention at the Oscars.

I've had Blue Ruin on my Foxtel for a few weeks I recorded it off the Worlds Movies channel on a whim.TBH I was just about to delete it to make some space but watched it after seeing this post.
Cheers DU Jour.
Mad film..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 12:35 - Dec 18 with 5674 viewsMarc

Managed to get hold of a copy of that Nightcrawler the other day. Excellent quality but has a massive watermark along the bottom of the screen throughout the whole film. As you can imagine that put me off watching it.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 13:54 - Dec 18 with 5615 viewsheadhoops

best by miles - I've seen it 35 times and every time I still have to be taken to A&E to have my sides sewn back up.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 14:42 - Dec 18 with 5575 viewsrobith

Best - close run thing between Lego Movie and '71 which was absolutely brilliant but seemed to get no hype whatsoever.

As has been mentioned already Amazing Spider Man 2 was utterly appalling
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 15:01 - Dec 18 with 5564 viewsmacclesfieldman

I'm a cinema anorak with an unlimited card, 93 cinema movies so far this year.
My Top 4 are: Pride, Philomena, Jersey Boys & The Judge. Honourable mentions to: Out of the Furnace, Saving Mr Banks & The Salvation. The worst is a toss up between Get on Up & Jump St 22.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 15:25 - Dec 18 with 5534 viewsShotKneesHoop

Nothing will ever beat the ultimate blockbuster to end all blockbusters :- "The Four Year Plan" = starring the Poisoned Gnome and The Tango Tw@t.

It had it all, - celebs, humour, farce, fashion, politics, legal issues, pantomime, music hall, drama, crime, and even a bit of sport bunged in at the end.

The only film I've watched and laughed all the way through ........ and cried ever since.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024