Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new Shaun Custis 14:05 - Dec 22 with 5259 viewsRJ7

Barney Ronay's prejudiced review on Saturdays's game.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/20/qpr-west-bromwich-albion-premier

‘If Queens Park Rangers do stay in the premier league — and even after this slightly ragged 3-2 victory that is a substantial if’

‘More a collection of disparate, slightly baffled individuals fulfilling the fixture list’

‘Richard Dunne twice lost his man, turning and twisting with all the gossamer grace of a fully laden municipal dustcart’.

Provocatively poor journalism. He'll inevitably soon be appearing on the dire Sunday morning MOTD muppet show.

The new Shaun Custis on 14:07 - Dec 22 with 4246 viewsTheBlob

And people on here dug me out for posting a why I hate the Guardian thread.
See what I mean now ya bums.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 14:07]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The new Shaun Custis on 14:11 - Dec 22 with 4224 viewsKonk

To give it some context:

"Before kick-off this match had the feeling of a slightly premature relegation pre-eliminator, a tribute to QPR’s determination to play like a team with one hand tied behind its back. So far this season Rangers have the home form of a top-six team and the away record of something that doesn’t really resemble a team at all, more a collection of disparate, slightly baffled individuals fulfilling the fixture list."

I couldn't see much to get the hump about in that piece. It's hardly a foregone conclusion that you'll stay-up and your away form's been shocking.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The new Shaun Custis on 14:14 - Dec 22 with 4201 viewsTheBlob

What was the score again?

The new Shaun Custis on 14:17 - Dec 22 with 4188 viewsJamie

The new Shaun Custis on 14:11 - Dec 22 by Konk

To give it some context:

"Before kick-off this match had the feeling of a slightly premature relegation pre-eliminator, a tribute to QPR’s determination to play like a team with one hand tied behind its back. So far this season Rangers have the home form of a top-six team and the away record of something that doesn’t really resemble a team at all, more a collection of disparate, slightly baffled individuals fulfilling the fixture list."

I couldn't see much to get the hump about in that piece. It's hardly a foregone conclusion that you'll stay-up and your away form's been shocking.

Do you mind, we are burning a witch in here.
The new Shaun Custis on 14:25 - Dec 22 with 4152 viewsDevonWhite

Christ we're a precious lot sometimes. There was nothing wrong with that match report, which complimented our home form as well as justifiably slating our away record.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 14:27]
The new Shaun Custis on 14:55 - Dec 22 with 4068 viewsrsonist

Absurd thread. Can only laugh really.
The new Shaun Custis on 15:02 - Dec 22 with 4035 viewskensalriser

An eminently reasonable report.

We give the team, various individuals and the manager considerably worse here on a daily basis.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The new Shaun Custis on 15:08 - Dec 22 with 4013 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I like Ronay, he's light-hearted and not too precious. Plus, he's right.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

The new Shaun Custis on 15:16 - Dec 22 with 3988 views1MoreBrightonR

I read that report out loud to my dad after the game and we both started laughing....not because its bad, because it's such a funny and accurate description of us and i'm not trying to be negative! Great game, really entertaining and loved the comeback....but that doesnt mean he was wrong.

In context if you read the whole thing, i dont think it is nearly as nasty as the OP makes out.
The new Shaun Custis on 15:27 - Dec 22 with 3966 viewsEalingRanger

Ronay is the best football writer in the country. It's not saying much, but it is true. Nothing wrong with that report in the slightest.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 15:27]
The new Shaun Custis on 15:42 - Dec 22 with 3925 viewsrobith

I like Ronay.

The way people on here go after press members who say negative stuff about us is reminiscent of Man Utd fans FFS. I mean we all watch us - we're pretty terrible. Don't get the overreaction to anyone pointing out perfectly valid criticisms of our team
The new Shaun Custis on 15:44 - Dec 22 with 3919 viewsdavman

The new Shaun Custis on 15:27 - Dec 22 by EalingRanger

Ronay is the best football writer in the country. It's not saying much, but it is true. Nothing wrong with that report in the slightest.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2014 15:27]

No he's not, Clive Whittingham is.

So there.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The new Shaun Custis on 15:51 - Dec 22 with 3894 viewsrobith

The new Shaun Custis on 14:11 - Dec 22 by Konk

To give it some context:

Reminding me of my history finals - any first hand source that had a ... in it, just point out that the evidence and been curated and thus not to be implicitly trusted and watch the marks roll in
The new Shaun Custis on 15:56 - Dec 22 with 3860 viewstraininvain

I think Ronay's a total bell end but can't see much wrong with that report.
The new Shaun Custis on 16:34 - Dec 22 with 3761 viewsrsonist

I've appreciated Ronay in the past for not resorting to tired old football journo cliches but these last few years it's all gone too far with the self-indulgent convoluted whimsy.

Still, the idea of him as prejudiced provocateur is too funny. You really could not find anyone who cared less.
The new Shaun Custis on 16:36 - Dec 22 with 3752 viewsTheBlob

And if that report had appeared in The Mail?

The new Shaun Custis on 16:39 - Dec 22 with 3743 viewsrsonist

The new Shaun Custis on 16:36 - Dec 22 by TheBlob

And if that report had appeared in The Mail?

It wouldn't make the content any less true.
The new Shaun Custis on 16:56 - Dec 22 with 3671 viewsTheBlob

The new Shaun Custis on 16:39 - Dec 22 by rsonist

It wouldn't make the content any less true.

Of course it would and you know it.

The new Shaun Custis on 17:37 - Dec 22 with 3577 viewsRJ7

The comments on Richard Dunne were tabloid gibberish. Was there any recognition of the teams mental strength to turn the match around? Of course not, just a description of a 'ragged' victory. Followed by a mention that it's likely we'll get relegated.

A great way to bring someone down from a euphoric high less than 15 minutes after the game's conclusion.

Comments on here i.e. 'we're pretty terrible' is overstepping it a little.

We've 13 from the last 15 at home and played (prior to Sat pm) 8 of the top 10 teams away. Burnley & Leicester are also pointless on their travels against these teams.

Best football writer in the country? Seriously..
The new Shaun Custis on 18:52 - Dec 22 with 3479 viewsDevonWhite

The new Shaun Custis on 17:37 - Dec 22 by RJ7

The comments on Richard Dunne were tabloid gibberish. Was there any recognition of the teams mental strength to turn the match around? Of course not, just a description of a 'ragged' victory. Followed by a mention that it's likely we'll get relegated.

A great way to bring someone down from a euphoric high less than 15 minutes after the game's conclusion.

Comments on here i.e. 'we're pretty terrible' is overstepping it a little.

We've 13 from the last 15 at home and played (prior to Sat pm) 8 of the top 10 teams away. Burnley & Leicester are also pointless on their travels against these teams.

Best football writer in the country? Seriously..

Did you actually read it?

"Was there any recognition of the teams mental strength to turn to match around?"

Yes.

"QPR showed spirit to hit back almost immediately. James Morrison pulled back Leroy Fer at a corner as the Rangers man went to poke a loose ball goalwards, a good spot through a crowd of players by the referee Craig Pawson. Austin blasted the penalty kick past Ben Foster."

If you're this offended by a balanced and innocuous match report I dread to think of your blood pressure when you read the genuinely poor football journalism.
The new Shaun Custis on 19:12 - Dec 22 with 3444 viewsBeauRanger

Reasonable & amusing article IMO...
The new Shaun Custis on 20:12 - Dec 22 with 3333 viewskensalriser

As we've been out of the bottom three twice all season and could be back there after the next game, it seems fair to say that our staying up is a substantial if. You need to grow some thicker skin.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The new Shaun Custis on 20:42 - Dec 22 with 3276 viewsShotKneesHoop

If someone like any of us had written this match match report and posted it on LFW, we would have said "fair and honest comment - a bit of humour, but lacking in the irony and wit that Northern chugs out"

The bloke is still right - "a big if to stay up" but the team spirit is making up for a lot of shortcomings.

Can't see much wrong with his report, at least it sounds like the bloke turned up to watch the game. Most match reports are written from Shearer's analysis on MOTD, for example "he should have went and scored"

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

The new Shaun Custis on 00:13 - Dec 23 with 3157 viewssmegma

The new Shaun Custis on 19:12 - Dec 22 by BeauRanger

Reasonable & amusing article IMO...

With plenty of praise and constructive criticism in equal measure. What journalism is about surely ?
The new Shaun Custis on 11:19 - Dec 23 with 3022 viewsAntti_Heinola

nothing wrong with this report. even those three comments singled out by the OP are totally fair enough. We've played all our easier games at home now, bar Palace, and our away form is dreadful. Of course it's a big 'if' we stay up.
Personally thought Dunne had a poorish game by his own recent high standards - the second goal in particular was pretty ordinary defending from him.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024