Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadiums, Then and Now 02:37 - Dec 23 with 6031 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2014/dec/22/football-stadiums

Very enjoyable quiz.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stadiums, Then and Now on 03:23 - Dec 23 with 3186 viewsQPR1882

9/10

Got number 4 wrong, was fooled by the badge on the stadium ( looked like Villas badge so i opted for Villa Park )
Stadiums, Then and Now on 06:35 - Dec 23 with 3144 viewsloftboy

Stadiums, Then and Now on 03:23 - Dec 23 by QPR1882

9/10

Got number 4 wrong, was fooled by the badge on the stadium ( looked like Villas badge so i opted for Villa Park )

9/10 got elland road wrong

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Stadiums, Then and Now on 07:18 - Dec 23 with 3106 viewsenfieldargh

10/10

players are give away

You didnt recognise Eddie Gray?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stadiums, Then and Now on 07:53 - Dec 23 with 3060 viewsheadhoops

9/10 nice to see that some things don't change _ the ref surrounded by man utd players all whinging

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 07:58 - Dec 23 with 3052 viewsToast_R

7/10 for me, really good quiz.

This is the working man's true Heritage really.
Would love to see a proper documentary made about the English football grounds past and present. You think of the amount of hours and cherished moments witnessed by thousands of people over the last 100 years. A lot of ghosts.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 09:11 - Dec 23 with 2978 viewsMrSheen

10/10. Gordon Banks saved me. I guess us and Luton have changed the least. Amazing to see the gentrification in Stoke.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 09:34 - Dec 23 with 2934 viewsBrianMcCarthy

9/10

Same as you. Got 9/10 and messed up on that one.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stadiums, Then and Now on 09:36 - Dec 23 with 2930 viewsTheBlob

10/10

All them people standing.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:13 - Dec 23 with 2891 viewsloftboy

Stadiums, Then and Now on 07:18 - Dec 23 by enfieldargh

10/10

players are give away

You didnt recognise Eddie Gray?

Nope

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:23 - Dec 23 with 2874 viewsBrixtonR

9/10

9/10 Exactly the same for me - a mean trick !

Groundspotter! With those eyes you wouldn't even have needed the orange ball on a snowy afternoon in the 1950s
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:42 - Dec 23 with 2827 viewsqprxtc

Ditto. That Villaalike badge is a git.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:42 - Dec 23 with 2826 viewsRangersw12

9/10 Got St Andrews wrong
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:48 - Dec 23 with 2815 viewsquickpassrotter

Stadiums, Then and Now on 06:35 - Dec 23 by loftboy

9/10 got elland road wrong

9 out of 10 for me. Thought that it was the Villa badge - but was Glasgow Rangers.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 10:50]
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:58 - Dec 23 with 2780 viewsKonk

9/10: Fuc ked-up on Villa Park/Ibrox too — that’ll teach me not to look at the options.

I was looking at Simon Inglis’ brilliant book the other day and feeling awfully nostalgic for a time when every ground was unique and instantly recognisable. Mismatched, idiosyncratic and occasionally weird, but lovely in their own way. I don’t miss open ends when the weather’s sh it, but I do miss turning-up at a new ground and it being utterly individual. Who would swap the seventeen separate stands at the Manor Ground for the three-sided, characterless out of town job Oxford play at now?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:03 - Dec 23 with 2769 viewssimmo

Loftus Road looks exactly the same. It was like this summer but in black and white.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:23 - Dec 23 with 2745 views18StoneOfHoop

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:58 - Dec 23 by Konk

9/10: Fuc ked-up on Villa Park/Ibrox too — that’ll teach me not to look at the options.

I was looking at Simon Inglis’ brilliant book the other day and feeling awfully nostalgic for a time when every ground was unique and instantly recognisable. Mismatched, idiosyncratic and occasionally weird, but lovely in their own way. I don’t miss open ends when the weather’s sh it, but I do miss turning-up at a new ground and it being utterly individual. Who would swap the seventeen separate stands at the Manor Ground for the three-sided, characterless out of town job Oxford play at now?

Konk,Brian and any other LFW football ground lover,check this site out at your extended leisure.
http://homesoffootball.co.uk/gallery/
Stuart Clarke to my mind is the best fan and football ground photographer in the world. Specializes in awesome panoramas of one end to the other. Could spend hours looking at his pics. His 1999 book 'The Homes of Football: the passion of a nation' is tip-top...absolutely first class..has pride of place on my shelves.
Enjoy. Wish he had been taking pics of us on May 24th.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homes-Of-Football-Passion-Nation/dp/0316647985

Ah the perms of yesteryear; Brian Killer Kilcline look-a-like:

Goalkeepers view of the crowd,Man City 2000:

Wigan's old ground 1990:
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 11:55]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:25 - Dec 23 with 2742 viewsAddinall

I agree about the book being brilliant.It even,unwittingly,warned of the fire hazard that became the Bradford City tragedy.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 12:50 - Dec 23 with 2647 viewsBrixtonR

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:25 - Dec 23 by Addinall

I agree about the book being brilliant.It even,unwittingly,warned of the fire hazard that became the Bradford City tragedy.

Me too, got the version printed at the end of 82-83 that mentions us being in the top division the next season. Call Loftus road the most modern ground in the country and a theatre of football !
Stadiums, Then and Now on 13:20 - Dec 23 with 2587 viewsderbyhoop

Same here. The stand in the background looks like the back of the Holte End.
I recognised Loftus Road from the amount of sand they had to put on it to get a surface anywhere near playable.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Stadiums, Then and Now on 13:31 - Dec 23 with 2560 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:23 - Dec 23 by 18StoneOfHoop

Konk,Brian and any other LFW football ground lover,check this site out at your extended leisure.
http://homesoffootball.co.uk/gallery/
Stuart Clarke to my mind is the best fan and football ground photographer in the world. Specializes in awesome panoramas of one end to the other. Could spend hours looking at his pics. His 1999 book 'The Homes of Football: the passion of a nation' is tip-top...absolutely first class..has pride of place on my shelves.
Enjoy. Wish he had been taking pics of us on May 24th.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homes-Of-Football-Passion-Nation/dp/0316647985

Ah the perms of yesteryear; Brian Killer Kilcline look-a-like:

Goalkeepers view of the crowd,Man City 2000:

Wigan's old ground 1990:
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 11:55]

That’s a brilliant book. I’ve always been more interested in crowds, grounds and what a town’s like on match day, than I have in the football itself, so I love books like that.

I’m getting nostalgic for advertising boards advertising local companies in Roman script — where even in the top division, local businesses were trying to flog you sheet metal and carpets rather than trying to market fu ck knows what to people in Hong Kong.

Stadiums, Then and Now on 15:08 - Dec 23 with 2504 viewsMrSheen

Stadiums, Then and Now on 13:31 - Dec 23 by Konk

That’s a brilliant book. I’ve always been more interested in crowds, grounds and what a town’s like on match day, than I have in the football itself, so I love books like that.

I’m getting nostalgic for advertising boards advertising local companies in Roman script — where even in the top division, local businesses were trying to flog you sheet metal and carpets rather than trying to market fu ck knows what to people in Hong Kong.

Griffin Park used to be a temple to ironmongery. Every other board around the ground advertised screws, bolts or other fasteners.

If you feel nostalgic for decrepit grounds, you should try a trip to Odsal in Bradford. This place will be hosting crowds of about 1,500 in the second tier if Rugby League next season.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/resources/images/921238/

[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 15:25]
Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:04 - Dec 23 with 2443 viewsTGRRRSSS

I didnt do very well at all, but find it fascinating how the pictures changed, in many ways saddest was Stoke's ground.

I love ground hopping etc, hoping to have a wonder towards Highbury on Boxing Day, assume its near enough to have a look.

Luton was a giveaway as it says Luton somewhere in picture but otherwise had changed.
What were they thinking of with those box thingies.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:08 - Dec 23 with 2437 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:04 - Dec 23 by TGRRRSSS

I didnt do very well at all, but find it fascinating how the pictures changed, in many ways saddest was Stoke's ground.

I love ground hopping etc, hoping to have a wonder towards Highbury on Boxing Day, assume its near enough to have a look.

Luton was a giveaway as it says Luton somewhere in picture but otherwise had changed.
What were they thinking of with those box thingies.

Highbury is (Jamie Redknapp ahoy) literally a few hundred metres from their new ground.

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:12 - Dec 23 with 2431 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 15:08 - Dec 23 by MrSheen

Griffin Park used to be a temple to ironmongery. Every other board around the ground advertised screws, bolts or other fasteners.

If you feel nostalgic for decrepit grounds, you should try a trip to Odsal in Bradford. This place will be hosting crowds of about 1,500 in the second tier if Rugby League next season.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/resources/images/921238/

[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 15:25]

I get my fix by going to the odd non-league or Scottish lower division ground. Took my wife to Worcester v Gainsborough Trinity a few years ago as we were in Worcester and just faffing about - she couldn't understand why we went straight to the turnstiles when we hadn't been to the ticket office first. Ice cream van parked up behind the goal, a warm tin of Fanta and a hot dog at half-time (she eats hot dogs side on - weird). No-one can say I don't know how to treat a lady. Blinding day out.

I was hoping to see Hibs at Cowdenbeath this year. My mate went and the away end tea hut had a kettle rather than a tea urn. How brilliant is that?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:48 - Dec 23 with 2386 viewsMrSheen

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:12 - Dec 23 by Konk

I get my fix by going to the odd non-league or Scottish lower division ground. Took my wife to Worcester v Gainsborough Trinity a few years ago as we were in Worcester and just faffing about - she couldn't understand why we went straight to the turnstiles when we hadn't been to the ticket office first. Ice cream van parked up behind the goal, a warm tin of Fanta and a hot dog at half-time (she eats hot dogs side on - weird). No-one can say I don't know how to treat a lady. Blinding day out.

I was hoping to see Hibs at Cowdenbeath this year. My mate went and the away end tea hut had a kettle rather than a tea urn. How brilliant is that?

Is Cowdenbeath where the stock cars get bigger crowds than the football?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024