Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal 22:46 - Dec 26 with 1323 viewsAntti_Heinola

Well that was fun, wasn't it? Classic Rangers this season to follow up a bit of hope with a bit of despair...

1. Traore. I've never been as negative about Traore as some fans, nor as positive as others - I thought he was woefully underused for much of last season when other options clearly weren't working and we were crying out for his pace, but he's also had torrid periods with us. Today, while there were some meagre mitigating circumstances (more of which below), he was pretty rank. You can forgive anyone for being outplayed by the super Sanchez, but the challenge for the penalty was reckless and, frankly, thick, given the circumstances. He was also culpable for leaving Sanchez free for the first goal (although he wasn't the only one) and even when he did canter forward I think he must have lost it 9 times out of 10 (not that he was ever really given much of an option for a pass, mind). One to forget for him. And I think that means the end of the road for him while Clint can walk.

2. Tactics. And yet. Traore was up against Sanchez and had absolutely no protection - not from the midfielders in front of him or from Caulker on the left side of defence - the gap between them was huge. For the first goal, while Traore's lack of an attempt to mark Sanchez was deplorable, Caulker was drawn too far infield to follow Giroud, meaning Ferdinand was marking no one but space, playing too deep because of his comedic lack of pace, and doing very little. While Traore was individually culpable, the defence as a whole had no real cohesion or understanding, with no one really sure quite how to play their role, with the exception of Isla who I thought was a rare plus point - and so with three centre backs and Giroud standing on the D, we still managed to leave Sanchez unmarked. And while 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 are the systems that the majority of our players fit into best, you have to question why we would play with three CBs against Arsenal - a team who notoriously do not really play with any 'proper' strikers: Giroud lays quite deep and Sanchez and Welbeck attack from wide and deep too. So who, exactly, were the three CBs supposed to be marking? Why did we need so many of them at the expense of exposing our flanks so disastrously? And why defend so deep? And to make matters worse we have our classic slow midfield for away games that couldn't start a counter attack if they had access to motorbikes.

3. Hoilett. Christ. I like him, I do - but I ran out of patience today. Like so many of our players except Austin and to some extent Vargas, who can at least cross a ball occasionally, his crossing and shooting is simply abysmal. Abysmal. Two crosses in particular tonight were so woeful, so appalling, so embarrassing, despite all the time he had to play them in and on one occasion after doing terrifically well to get into a great position, that I'd almost have preferred SWP on the pitch. Almost. Just absolutely dire.

4. The Penalty Decisions. Theirs was obviously a pen. The later challenge by Onuoha was just about ok. I think ours was soft - it looked like he got a toe to the ball and Hoilett went down easily. But Atkinson owes us one - at least. The Zamora one... probably a pen. But we're clutching at straws a bit if we're saying that cost us the draw. I still think Zamora should have scored there - he didn't, for me, show enough strength or desire to get to it.

5. The Midfield. Alluded to it above, but christ our midfield is poverty-stricken. I've had a go at Redknapp for picking Vargas and Fer wide, but maybe I'm being harsh - all the other options just look dreadful. Henry never touched the ball - it was a shock when he was subbed because I had totally forgotten he was there. Krancjar showed yet again why he is an effective sub but pretty harmless as a starter - Ian Darke went on and on about his shooting - the great Krancjar myth, really, because three goals in 16 months tells a very different story. Mutch made a couple of good passes but was lost once more and did nothing to suggest he should be starting games. Hoilett I've covered. Fer was almost anonymous when he came on. I almost yearned for our Joey. We keep banging on about strikers, but our midfield, partially due to injuries admittedly, is our weakest area in my opinion. Very little pace, very little penetration, not really much good at protecting the defence. The favourite comment for experts at the moment about Austin is to say he needs Zamora up front. Well, he wouldn't, except for the fact that our football, specifically our midfield play, is so one-dimensional - if we can't boot it on to Zamora's head or body and get Vargas and Austin to feed on the pathetic scraps, we've got very little else - put simply, no striker on earth can win the ball, hold it up, tee it up for himself, and score too, which is what we ask Austin to do when Zamora isn't playing - and then it's seized upon as a weakness of Austin's! How about we actually pass him the football properly or stick a half decent cross in the box every once in a while, because that fking boy will nut them in if we do!

6. BT Sport. First game I've seen on BT. Awful. Martin Keown is a joke as a summariser, showing an almost total lack of research on QPR - or even his own bloody team. Nice of BT to load the commentary with Arsenal boys, too, and give us... Jenas. Gee, thanks. The direction was appalling too - showing the Giroud headbutt over and over again saying 'let's have another look' and then just showing the same incident from the same angle about six or seven times, twice at the expense of what was happening in real time. He headbutted him. That's it. What else are you showing? And then that ridiculous extra picture in picture box they throw up that takes up about a quarter of the screen for the last 2 mins - 'yeah, we know this is a really exciting ending and QPR might get a dramatic late equaliser any second if only Hoilett could cross a ball, but what is Wenger doing on the bench? Sitting there! Look! He's sitting there! Now he's standing! Wow.' How fking fascinating. It's a good job Sanchez didn't come out to accept his MOTM award too, because if he had I swear Stubbsy would have noshed him off rather than talk to him. Quite like Jake, but other than that, a big thumbs down.

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 23:53 - Dec 26 with 1213 viewsCiderwithRsie

No 5. Hmm. Well argued, and frightening now you put it like that. And you haven't even mentioned SWP! Plenty of squad numbers, not enough of them good enough.

Austin definitely doesn't need Zamora up front, he needs ANYONE who can give him the ball in the penalty area. Someone to play Beardsley to his Lineker would be perfect. It ought to be Vargas or Fer but we need Vargas wide and Fer is Fer. Zamora just happens to be the only option we have.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 01:38 - Dec 27 with 1110 viewsPunteR

Is it a bit too knee jerk to suggest we need Taraabt back?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 05:21 - Dec 27 with 1059 viewsbarabajagal

First rate knee jerks. I would like to add six of my own, right in the lederhosen area for Holiett, Traore, Ferdinand, Kranjcar, and Redknapp respectively. I know that's only five, but Traore gets two for good measure.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2014 5:41]
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 09:59 - Dec 27 with 948 viewsTheBlob

5.How many times did we work their keeper yesterday when we had a man advantage?The midfield completely lacked the nous to exploit a defence that had more gaps than a Barrett Homes door frame.Were they all pissed?The lack of pace and urgency was criminal.Vargas was dispirited,seems to have been infected with the general malaise,Hoillett is just a waste of skin.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 10:11 - Dec 27 with 925 viewsDiscodroids

My dear annti,

if i may add my own personal highlight as i sat there in my pants with a bottle of tyskie and fishing cocktail sausages from my belly button using jo's cotton buds.

watching our very own tigana (mutch), alain giresse (henry), michelle platini (niko) of liquid football, Flowing together like water and becoming indistinguishable from each other , such was their unison , in the ebb and flow of the dimensional string or the 'midfield' as it is more commonly known in these troubled times

a flash of enlightenment flew across my mind and i was reminded of the wise hindu proverb , "INFINITE DIVERSITY , IN INFINITE COMBINATIONS, SYMBOLZING THE ELEMENTS THAT CREATE TRUTH AND BEAUTY" ,

When karl henry produced a sublime ball straight into touch like shane long going for a 40 : 20 in rugby league, with the nearest QPR players some 2000 miles away, in deep space.

A thing of beauty indeed.A standard bearer for our great game, so ingrained in our culture, that i think it should never be allowed to be forgotten.

just like hans petre traores bobby moore esq 1970 sliding tackle on pele, when he cleaned out sanchez like newham council clearing out cockney pearly kings and queens from the east end.

with extreme prejudice.

I believe like all the great pharaohs( gods and kings), our Karl Henry Ra should be mummified then buried with that pass under a ton of fuc king bricks, for prosperity and for future generations to remember , somewhere in the deep desert, along with other bygone treasures such as the god of hedonistic pleasures and orgies Niko kranjr Ra, and the Ancient god of pelvic dust, and stasis Bobby Zamo(Ra) , To fuc king well keep him company

traore can be buried round the back of icelands with full freegan honours with his treasures, the iceland party piece chinese platter and a concubine of his choosing.hopefully his fkn agent who has managed to hawk his wares around the leagues like the black death.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2014 10:19]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 10:33 - Dec 27 with 895 viewsCHUBBS

Anti you got no.5 off to a tee mate.
Our defence is good enough(i mean our real defence minus Ferdinand/Traore etc), imo though we have the worst midfield bar none in this division.
When you actually dissect our midfield you'll find a bunch of upper/middle and lower championship players at best,at fcukin best.
That midfield out there yesterday were a complete embarrassment demonstrating the sort of qualities that will send us straight back down.
I like Niko,but he's way too slow for the Premier league and should never start a game where we have more mobile options available.
Carl Henry has been our best central midfielder since Stoke at home which in itself speaks volumes.
Barton has been terrible recently yet has fans clamoring for his return.
We need a couple of decent pacy midfielders + a decent striker in this window or we're sailing straight back to the championship.
I know it was Arsenal yesterday but they had loads of players out and should have been out of sight by half time.
Once our luck at home deserts us we could really struggle.
This window will make or break our season.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 10:38 - Dec 27 with 877 viewsBasingstokeR

I think NOT signing Defoe is an imperative for this window.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 10:49 - Dec 27 with 858 viewsDiscodroids

inspirational stuff from the bench last night also jordan (sick boy)and bond(renton) looking like two skag heads (drowning on the bench )waiting for the all night boots to open in picadilly for their perscription methadone .

http://sabadoalas9.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/mark_sick-boy.jpg?w=550

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 11:47 - Dec 27 with 821 viewsterryb

Antti,

I think that knee was working overtime last night & what can I say about diso's contribution?

Number five was so accurate & yet none of the "professionals" can see it. Or else they won't say it as that would mean they were being critical of their mate Harry.

I'm sure that I'm alone with this, but I thought the boy Rio had a reasonable game yesterday. In fact, I thought the back three were fairly solid, but as the next five were playing as deep as the Arsenal Giroud, we were unable to move forward.

This is not down to formation. It is our attitude of mind that states a point will be a bonus.

Traore was culpable for the penalty & the first goal but his bigest fault was that he didn't attempt to go forward. Was this down to him, or was he following the instructions issued by our managerial staff?

Welcome back to the Karl Henry we all thought we had signed. It has been hard to believe that you were capable of performing at the level you have reached this season. Can I now put this dowm to one of nature's blips? And, all this abuse of Jordan Mutch. That was by far his best performance for us!

I thought the last ten minutes was the best comedy to be shown on television over the Christmas period. Three at the back & seven up front. What's more, we won more tackles in the space between these two rows than we had in the previous eighty minutes!

The rest of the population (us poor buggers excluded) must have been in stitches at Junior's delivery. Surely there is a scientist in our ranks that can transfer Lee Cook's ability & brain into the body of one of our three wide men?
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Arsenal on 12:30 - Dec 27 with 792 viewsdaveB

I thought the Hoilett one was a penalty, he clearly kicks him in the shin, Hoilett made the most of it but it was a penalty
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024