Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Progress 17:45 - Jan 11 with 1781 viewsstuabd

Amazing really from where they were a few seasons back. Now they look genuine champs league contenders.

I don't know the ins and outs of their rise but I imagine the success of their academy was one the contributing factors, plus of course some shrewd managerial appointments, astute signings, and a plan for what they wanted to do.

Good on 'em but it makes our current struggles even more depressing.
Southampton Progress on 17:47 - Jan 11 with 1763 viewsE7Ranger

great performance and defensively excellent. great model. happy for them - always one of the more likeable clubs for me. Put us to shame man. feck I'm on a downer today!
Southampton Progress on 17:49 - Jan 11 with 1761 viewsPey

Remind you Stu they hsd actually less time to assemble a half new team and new manager, just to go about howbad our set up is and we don't seem to have training sessions in every aspect of the game.
Southampton Progress on 17:53 - Jan 11 with 1742 viewsstuabd

I've always liked the Saints as the Dell was a good ground.

Yes, Pey. It shows you how crap Harry's excuses are for his pre-season.
Southampton Progress on 17:59 - Jan 11 with 1718 viewsSpiritofGregory

It's ever since they got rid of Harry and obtained a chairman who has sound football knowledge.
Southampton Progress on 18:02 - Jan 11 with 1707 viewsJamie

Monopoly on the youth from a large chunk of the South + good infrastructure + a clear plan upstairs.

A glaring sight of how poor TFs chairmanship of the club has been.
Southampton Progress on 18:02 - Jan 11 with 1710 viewsAndyB

Just watched that game and they are everything we aren't.
In almost every way possible.
Home-grown players.
Shape and tactics
Basic skills
Fitness
Concentration
Confidence
Belief

I think they will get into Champs League - fully deserved.
And...very good for English football in general as they continue to supply players that get into the national team.
Southampton Progress on 18:05 - Jan 11 with 1688 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Southampton Progress on 17:59 - Jan 11 by SpiritofGregory

It's ever since they got rid of Harry and obtained a chairman who has sound football knowledge.

Sound football knowledge??

Southampton's chairman is an ex-ice hockey player!
Southampton Progress on 18:09 - Jan 11 with 1653 viewsCiderwithRsie

Southampton Progress on 18:05 - Jan 11 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

Sound football knowledge??

Southampton's chairman is an ex-ice hockey player!

You are missing the point, namely that SoG has to insert a dig about our chairman in every post.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Progress on 18:12 - Jan 11 with 1646 viewsstuabd

Southampton Progress on 18:02 - Jan 11 by AndyB

Just watched that game and they are everything we aren't.
In almost every way possible.
Home-grown players.
Shape and tactics
Basic skills
Fitness
Concentration
Confidence
Belief

I think they will get into Champs League - fully deserved.
And...very good for English football in general as they continue to supply players that get into the national team.

What was interesting was how much longer they could keep the ball under pressure than we can. We seem to manage a couples of passes and then Hollywood ball or just hoof.

At this level you can't give the ball away as much as we do.
Southampton Progress on 18:19 - Jan 11 with 1630 viewsAntti_Heinola

A focus on the academy that they started ages ago and have reaped benefits from, and then a series of good managers not only concerned with the short term who could also coach. Like Swansea, a proper, sensible plan, with people in place to build a club properly.

Bare bones.

Southampton Progress on 18:25 - Jan 11 with 1611 viewsCamberleyR

Southampton Progress on 18:12 - Jan 11 by stuabd

What was interesting was how much longer they could keep the ball under pressure than we can. We seem to manage a couples of passes and then Hollywood ball or just hoof.

At this level you can't give the ball away as much as we do.

"At this level you can't give the ball away as much as we do"
QPR are the equivalent of England at major championships.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Southampton Progress on 18:26 - Jan 11 with 1599 views1BobbyHazell

Posted this a couple of months ago, well worth a read for those that missed it if you have any interest in how to build a successful football club.

The contrast to us is a real shame as it highlights just what could have been done with the cash.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/05/southampton-reaping-rewards
Southampton Progress on 02:52 - Jan 12 with 1407 viewsFredManRave

And having to do the inevitable comparison with ourselves the ironic thing is that they sacked Nigel Adkins having just drawn with Chelsea (having been 2-0 down!) and finding them selves 3 points above the relegation places. So that sacking would have been deemed harsh at the time, especially when you take into account the two consecutive promotions achieved by Adkins, but they had a plan and look where it's got them, so far...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Southampton Progress on 07:31 - Jan 12 with 1374 viewsdaveB

They've also spent a lot of money over the last few years but spent it very well
Southampton Progress on 08:12 - Jan 12 with 1350 viewsstuabd

Southampton Progress on 07:31 - Jan 12 by daveB

They've also spent a lot of money over the last few years but spent it very well

Saints and Spurs were the only team to make a profit during the last transfer window. If you look at the last 2 seasons overall they've broken even. Not bad really.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024