Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greenford 'mystery' building 21:27 - Jan 26 with 31347 viewsMarc

Travelling through Greenford today I passed by this building:

I've passed it on many occasions but never really given it much thought. For as long as I can remember it has been abandoned, just sitting there. Anyone have any info or background on it? What it might have been used for and when it was built?

The same spot also got me thinking about what used to be where the housing complex with the Lidl shop now is (behind the mystery building in the picture). I had a quick google and found this pic:

I have no recollection of that building (for me, going back to the early 90's). Again, anyone know anything about it?
Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:04 - Jan 26 with 18082 viewsDWQPR

The building on the bottom picture on Ruislip Road going towards Brentside has been there as long as I can remember being nothing more than a non-descript office block. I was born and brought up in Greenford and am now 48. The first building I cannot recall ever seeing, which road is it in? Looks like a church hall of some kind.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:11 - Jan 26 with 18050 viewsMrSheen

Don't know the answer, but can anyone solve the mystery of the building on the Ridgeway in Harrow, just along the tracks from West Harrow station and across the line from West Harrow park? Weirdly pristine, almost always locked but with a large car park, like a church that doesn't want any members. I used to drive past it on my way to my mother's when she was still alive, but I have no reason to go there now to check. Has no label on Google Maps!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&q=258+the+ridgeway+harrow&oe=UTF-8&
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 22:15]
Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:44 - Jan 26 with 17918 viewsMarc

Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:04 - Jan 26 by DWQPR

The building on the bottom picture on Ruislip Road going towards Brentside has been there as long as I can remember being nothing more than a non-descript office block. I was born and brought up in Greenford and am now 48. The first building I cannot recall ever seeing, which road is it in? Looks like a church hall of some kind.

The building in the bottom picture is no longer there, and hasnt been for many years now.

The mystery building is between the river brent and the housing complex that has the Lidl supermarket at ground level of the building. If you kept going a bit further the old Red Lion pub would have been on the left and the market stall to the right.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:56 - Jan 26 with 17889 viewscraftyp

The building on the bottom used to be taylor woodrow ,offices of some sort . The top one I'm not 100% but i believe it has something to do with the electricity board , an old sub station of sorts .
Greenford 'mystery' building on 23:06 - Jan 26 with 17853 viewsbatmanhoop

Mays sweetshop right of the red square has been left vacant for years. Little old lady ran the shop. Think she put two fingers up to anyone moving in.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 23:29 - Jan 26 with 17797 viewsTearsOfaClown

Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:56 - Jan 26 by craftyp

The building on the bottom used to be taylor woodrow ,offices of some sort . The top one I'm not 100% but i believe it has something to do with the electricity board , an old sub station of sorts .

I have seen pumping stations of that design.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 00:23 - Jan 27 with 17731 viewsNortholt_Rs

Where's a road sweeper when you need one?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Greenford 'mystery' building on 00:31 - Jan 27 with 17720 viewssmegma

Greenford Broadway looks like a ghost town
Login to get fewer ads

Greenford 'mystery' building on 00:38 - Jan 27 with 17712 viewsHollowayRanger

got a feeling its to do with trams the top building ..got one like it on Camden road just before it joins Holloway road and that use to be a power house for trams

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:11 - Jan 27 with 17515 viewshamptonhillhoop

Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:44 - Jan 26 by Marc

The building in the bottom picture is no longer there, and hasnt been for many years now.

The mystery building is between the river brent and the housing complex that has the Lidl supermarket at ground level of the building. If you kept going a bit further the old Red Lion pub would have been on the left and the market stall to the right.

Is the red lion gone now? Grew up in Greenford but moved out when I was 18 although parents still lived there until a few years ago. Spent many a Saturday night in there as well as the litten after my shift in tescos, then sainsburys. That bottom picture brings back a lot of memories
Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:17 - Jan 27 with 17494 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I wondered what that building was too.

I thought it was Victorian 'lectriks.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:26 - Jan 27 with 17468 viewsMarc

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:11 - Jan 27 by hamptonhillhoop

Is the red lion gone now? Grew up in Greenford but moved out when I was 18 although parents still lived there until a few years ago. Spent many a Saturday night in there as well as the litten after my shift in tescos, then sainsburys. That bottom picture brings back a lot of memories

Long gone sadly, as is the Litten. Even the Sainsburys opposite the Library is no more.

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:27 - Jan 27 with 17461 viewsPinnerRob

Greenford 'mystery' building on 22:11 - Jan 26 by MrSheen

Don't know the answer, but can anyone solve the mystery of the building on the Ridgeway in Harrow, just along the tracks from West Harrow station and across the line from West Harrow park? Weirdly pristine, almost always locked but with a large car park, like a church that doesn't want any members. I used to drive past it on my way to my mother's when she was still alive, but I have no reason to go there now to check. Has no label on Google Maps!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&q=258+the+ridgeway+harrow&oe=UTF-8&
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 22:15]

I drove in there the other day,being nosey& there was loads of them Mormon or hare chrisna types in there(not sure which) the woman all have long hair& wear head scarves over the top.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:41 - Jan 27 with 17416 viewsMarc

Cheers for shedding light on the bottom picture Crafty. Taylor Woodrow must have been a large part of the community back then with that and their Northolt site.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:45 - Jan 27 with 17406 viewshamptonhillhoop

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:26 - Jan 27 by Marc

Long gone sadly, as is the Litten. Even the Sainsburys opposite the Library is no more.

I knew the litten had gone, and last time I saw sainsburys was some sort of cash and carry. Sad indeed
Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 17362 viewscraftyp

Greenford 'mystery' building on 23:29 - Jan 26 by TearsOfaClown

I have seen pumping stations of that design.

That's a likely solution, it used to flood a lot
around there
Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:15 - Jan 27 with 17359 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Greenford 'mystery' building on 23:06 - Jan 26 by batmanhoop

Mays sweetshop right of the red square has been left vacant for years. Little old lady ran the shop. Think she put two fingers up to anyone moving in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/8359428658/

Memories indeed.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:24 - Jan 27 with 17330 viewsrobith

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:27 - Jan 27 by PinnerRob

I drove in there the other day,being nosey& there was loads of them Mormon or hare chrisna types in there(not sure which) the woman all have long hair& wear head scarves over the top.

Mormons and Hare Krishnas are two odd groups to confuse!

The ladies with headscarves are the Plymouth Brethren
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 9:24]
Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:28 - Jan 27 with 17305 viewsDiscodroids

its mica paris's 'lock up' .

her torture garden of unknown pleasures .

tarpaulin on the floor and an esso parafin heater in the corner.

wooden chair nailed to the floor and a black box wired up to a car battery .

the kang gangs 'closest thing to heaven' filling the musty air.

and bondy in a gimp cage.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 9:29]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:58 - Jan 27 with 17256 viewsDWQPR

Anybody remember King Discs in Greenford, just up from the Red Lion and before the turning where the bus station was. If I remember correctly it was a detached property, cracking little record store, far better than the other alternative which was Woolworths.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:07 - Jan 27 with 17236 viewsHollowayRanger

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:17 - Jan 27 by Metallica_Hoop

I wondered what that building was too.

I thought it was Victorian 'lectriks.

yes that looks like another im sure they were power stations for trams lines,as my dad use to drive one back in the late 50's

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:27 - Jan 27 with 17204 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:58 - Jan 27 by DWQPR

Anybody remember King Discs in Greenford, just up from the Red Lion and before the turning where the bus station was. If I remember correctly it was a detached property, cracking little record store, far better than the other alternative which was Woolworths.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/5820492075/

There you go.

But surely not as good as this one? Sponsors of the music on match days with an honourable mention in the match day programme.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/abaraphobia/6846079275/
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:42]
Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:32 - Jan 27 with 17187 viewsTacticalR

Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:24 - Jan 27 by robith

Mormons and Hare Krishnas are two odd groups to confuse!

The ladies with headscarves are the Plymouth Brethren
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 9:24]

I thought we were the 'Arry Krishnas? I'll get my coat.

Air hostess clique

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:39 - Jan 27 with 17168 viewsMarc

Another picture of the same building

Very easy to spot the Taylor Woodrow sign
Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:40 - Jan 27 with 17161 viewsMarc

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:27 - Jan 27 by Sudbury_Hill_R

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/5820492075/

There you go.

But surely not as good as this one? Sponsors of the music on match days with an honourable mention in the match day programme.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/abaraphobia/6846079275/
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:42]

Some great pictures there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024