Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wally Downes Jr 11:38 - Jan 27 with 4237 viewsBAWHoops

Just seen this on Twitter.

Don't like to rant and rave, but found this incredibly offensive

The phrase 'Never Forget' isn't some marketing soundbite, it's hugely important.

Deeply upsetting

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Wally Downes Jr on 11:42 - Jan 27 with 4189 viewsRangersw12

Wally Downes jr ‏@WallyDownes_Jr 12m12 minutes ago

@SimonPeach You was JeSuisCharlie last week, Holocaust today. I’m just glad you have so many social media outlets for your grief & despair.

Wally Downes jr ‏@WallyDownes_Jr 10m10 minutes ago

@SimonPeach I’d just be interested to know what you do to fight fascism & intolerance when there isn’t a popular hashtag doing the rounds
Wally Downes Jr on 12:02 - Jan 27 with 4081 viewsdaveB

dear oh dear, he's a bit of a prat sometimes
Wally Downes Jr on 12:09 - Jan 27 with 4042 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Poor form.

And not too clever either. He does now Twitter is public, does he?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Wally Downes Jr on 12:32 - Jan 27 with 3910 viewsthame_hoops

He's better off saying nothing, however, I do find some of the social media outpouring of grievence to be a bit false most of the time, hashtag this and that, but that's their chouse, my Facebook wall was full of hillsborugh stuff by people who have no clue but jump on the hashtag bandwagon.
Wally Downes Jr on 12:38 - Jan 27 with 3863 viewsJamie

Wally Downes Jr on 12:32 - Jan 27 by thame_hoops

He's better off saying nothing, however, I do find some of the social media outpouring of grievence to be a bit false most of the time, hashtag this and that, but that's their chouse, my Facebook wall was full of hillsborugh stuff by people who have no clue but jump on the hashtag bandwagon.

The worst was the cnting ice bucket challenge.

I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of people a) didn't donate to charity, and b) had no idea what it was even backing.

#bantz
#goodcausethoinnit
Wally Downes Jr on 13:46 - Jan 27 with 3611 viewsHunterhoop

Wally Downes Jr on 12:38 - Jan 27 by Jamie

The worst was the cnting ice bucket challenge.

I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of people a) didn't donate to charity, and b) had no idea what it was even backing.

#bantz
#goodcausethoinnit

I'd doubt that.

The Ice Bucket Challenge phenomenon raised millions for MNDA and Macmillan so by definition people must have been donating and it clearly raised awareness, which I can't see is a bad thing.

Public grief for something you have no connection with and doesn't impact your life, I find very strange.

Wally is being a bit of a Wally here, in tweeting this when there's no necessity to, but I do understand where he's coming from. There's an awful lot of people who don't understand the history of the stuff they're grieving nor are linked to it today. I get the whole human empathy angle, but there are hundreds of tragedies happening every year, which don't see every Tom, Dick and Harry on social media hastagging their grief and support for the victims. Why do they select those specific ones? Because they're the ones in the media and others are doing it. #sheep

Charity fundraising, like the ice bucket challenge, is completely different, and whilst undoubtedly narcissistic as a concept, does good.
Wally Downes Jr on 13:51 - Jan 27 with 3577 viewssimmo

It just seems unnecessary from Wally. How do we know this Simon guy hasn't visited Auschwitz? Maybe had a distant family member that is linked to the place? Agreed that some of the hashtags that come out attract those that just jump on the bandwagon but similarly to the Clark Carlisle thing, until you know the full facts it's best not to jump down peoples throats, especially if it's related to such an emotive subject.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Wally Downes Jr on 14:11 - Jan 27 with 3470 viewskropotkin41

Our club is so embarrassing that even dissidents and critics feel the need to stick both feet in their mouths from time to time.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

Wally Downes Jr on 14:15 - Jan 27 with 3445 viewsMaggsinho

Wally Downes Jr on 14:11 - Jan 27 by kropotkin41

Our club is so embarrassing that even dissidents and critics feel the need to stick both feet in their mouths from time to time.

Well, that's the competion for "Shoe horning a dig at the club into a thread that's absolutely nothing to do with it" well and truly won.
Wally Downes Jr on 14:19 - Jan 27 with 3417 viewsJamie

Wally Downes Jr on 13:46 - Jan 27 by Hunterhoop

I'd doubt that.

The Ice Bucket Challenge phenomenon raised millions for MNDA and Macmillan so by definition people must have been donating and it clearly raised awareness, which I can't see is a bad thing.

Public grief for something you have no connection with and doesn't impact your life, I find very strange.

Wally is being a bit of a Wally here, in tweeting this when there's no necessity to, but I do understand where he's coming from. There's an awful lot of people who don't understand the history of the stuff they're grieving nor are linked to it today. I get the whole human empathy angle, but there are hundreds of tragedies happening every year, which don't see every Tom, Dick and Harry on social media hastagging their grief and support for the victims. Why do they select those specific ones? Because they're the ones in the media and others are doing it. #sheep

Charity fundraising, like the ice bucket challenge, is completely different, and whilst undoubtedly narcissistic as a concept, does good.

According to Comres, 1 in 10 participants claim to have donated, so in reality even less than that did...

And in a delightful irony, over 50% surveyed felt that people were only doing the IBC as a means of attention seeking.
Wally Downes Jr on 14:21 - Jan 27 with 3395 viewspaulparker

As with everything these days people have to be seen showing their grief on social media , and people have to be seen as being "controversial " back with their comments
twitter, facebook is not the sort of platform to be discussing events like the Holocaust
its like they are debating Big Brother ,
both come out of this like teenage prats,
whatever happened to people acting with dignity

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Wally Downes Jr on 14:21 - Jan 27 with 3402 viewssix_foot_two

Wally Downes Jr on 14:15 - Jan 27 by Maggsinho

Well, that's the competion for "Shoe horning a dig at the club into a thread that's absolutely nothing to do with it" well and truly won.

I beg to differ,there was one on the Heather Mills thread that takes some beating.
Wally Downes Jr on 14:26 - Jan 27 with 3381 viewsNorthernr

Understand the irritation with grief junky hashtags, but those Tweets smack of taxi home from the pub material - sent a few of those myself in my time.
Wally Downes Jr on 14:27 - Jan 27 with 3366 viewsrobith

Wally Downes Jr on 14:19 - Jan 27 by Jamie

According to Comres, 1 in 10 participants claim to have donated, so in reality even less than that did...

And in a delightful irony, over 50% surveyed felt that people were only doing the IBC as a means of attention seeking.

I fail to see how that's a delightful irony?

Having worked for a chairty and now on their behalf at an agency, people wanting to show off about is a trend they've identified and been looking to expand with for about 6 years now. If someone dfoes something good for a selfish reason does it cease to be good? Personally I don't go in for Kantian ethics myself
Wally Downes Jr on 14:29 - Jan 27 with 3361 viewsrobith

I t*is* Holocaust Memorial Day. It's like having a go at someone for posting about Remembrance Day.

Also he is a total prannet
Wally Downes Jr on 14:29 - Jan 27 with 3360 viewskropotkin41

Wally Downes Jr on 14:15 - Jan 27 by Maggsinho

Is that a competition? Wow!! Fantastic! There are some pretty sh*t threads on this board that I'll be making sure to call in on now so that I can win again.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Wally Downes Jr on 16:29 - Jan 27 with 3141 viewssimmo

Wally Downes Jr on 14:19 - Jan 27 by Jamie

100% of the charities that received donations felt that they couldn't give a fck what peoples motivations were.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Wally Downes Jr on 16:44 - Jan 27 with 3077 viewsJamie

Wally Downes Jr on 16:29 - Jan 27 by simmo

100% of the charities that received donations felt that they couldn't give a fck what peoples motivations were.

And every penny raised is a great success. However the money actually raised is dwarfed by the amount of people following the crowd for #epicbantz.
Wally Downes Jr on 19:38 - Jan 27 with 2740 viewshoopstilidie

Wally Downes Jr on 16:44 - Jan 27 by Jamie

And every penny raised is a great success. However the money actually raised is dwarfed by the amount of people following the crowd for #epicbantz.

Who cares?
It raised both cash and awareness.
People's 'motives' are immaterial.
Odd part of the whole thing to concentrate on.
That said, it's you, so not much of a surprise.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Wally Downes Jr on 19:45 - Jan 27 with 2721 viewsW5R

The dad is a mentalist, clearly the kid is. Shame arseholes are allowed on the QPR podcast
Wally Downes Jr on 19:57 - Jan 27 with 2701 viewsstevec

Well said Wally Downes Jnr.

'For ever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity'. Like we needed telling, you prat.

Sick of those who grandstand their niceness,seeking a pat on the back, a round of applause, with their pointless platitudes, a desperate attempt to alleviate their self esteem issues at best or, more sinister, blatant self promotion on the back of a noble cause.
Wally Downes Jr on 20:11 - Jan 27 with 2651 viewshoopstilidie

Wally Downes Jr on 19:57 - Jan 27 by stevec

'For ever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity'. Like we needed telling, you prat.

Sick of those who grandstand their niceness,seeking a pat on the back, a round of applause, with their pointless platitudes, a desperate attempt to alleviate their self esteem issues at best or, more sinister, blatant self promotion on the back of a noble cause.

We don't "need telling" because people have been kind enough to remind us.
Pretty much like we're being reminded again today.
Why shouldn't people comment on something on it's anniversary or any other time?
If I see you wearing a poppy should I imagine you're doing it to "Grandstand your niceness"? What a shallow individual you must be to have this view on people.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Wally Downes Jr on 20:24 - Jan 27 with 2612 viewsBasingstokeR

That's a bit much in public - why not take it up in private if you have a problem with it?

@WallyDownes_Jr You're a 20 something? "sports reporter" from West London - do you need to cash in more likes & followers with every QPR calamity?
Wally Downes Jr on 01:30 - Jan 28 with 2359 viewsAgedR

Wally Downes Jr on 19:57 - Jan 27 by stevec

I'm not sure a 20 something showing solidarity with holocaust remembrance day is grandstanding niceness.

The further we move away from that fateful day in human history the less people have a connection with those who lived through it. My grandparents were alive during this atrocity, my children's grandparents weren't. This being the case, more and more people will need telling.

I really don't care if it has a hashtag associated with it, if the alternative is the cynicism and nihilism that pervades so much public discourse.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Wally Downes Jr on 01:36 - Jan 28 with 2353 viewsNorthernr

Wally Downes Jr on 19:45 - Jan 27 by W5R

The dad is a mentalist, clearly the kid is. Shame arseholes are allowed on the QPR podcast

Yes damn them, coming over here, stopping the level headed, everyday, common-or-garden, sympathetic, intelligent folk like yourself from podcasting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024