Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's 15:10 - Jan 28 with 19580 viewsOldhamR

Just been reading Marc's thread about Greenford back in the day.

Well it got to to thinking about Express Dairies, they had a shop on Northolt Rd, I think on the corner with Park Lane, anyway outside this shop was a big metal vending machine. To my very best recollection this thing sold all sorts including bread.
My lovely Northern wife refuses to believe that we had such sophisticated items at our disposal, by chance anyone remember said machine or one similar?
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 13:51 - Jan 30 with 5866 viewsbigstevec

Toycraft 70, Sellanbys, Radio Rentals, Woolworths. Now South Harrow is all Sri Lankan Greengrocers and Nandos.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2015 13:53]
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:13 - Jan 30 with 5834 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:46 - Jan 28 by Harbour

Yes Islip Manor Park was great spent many a day there in my youth they had a strict parkee then. Plus the shops under the railway arches at South Harrow Station not to forget the Cinema in SH that used to be opposite where Sainsbury is now....Ceiling caved in during a film showing once...as you say Paul Happy Days...its a bit different now!

Yes, used to go to that cinema.

Remember the sights and smells! of Macfisheries as well - Did Sainsbury replace that?
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:16 - Jan 30 with 5833 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 22:51 - Jan 28 by ShotKneesHoop

Special mention for Sellanby's - the world renowned second hand LP shop in the market under the Piccadilly Line arches.

Made their fortune out of Tears Of A Clown selling my Al Kooper "I Stand Alone" LP to Sellanbys four times in a month only for me to buy it back four times because at that stage it wasn't a UK release and I couldn't get a copy of it anywhere else. Sussed out it the little scrote selling Sellanbys my LP, when the last time I bought it from them, he'd left his doodles on the LP cover.

Sellanby had a terrific range of LP's there, many imports, others fell off lorries from EMI in Hayes.

Anyone else buy music there?

I bought ALL my music there back in the day.

Wonderful yellow and black bags they gave you as well!

None of that "Are you sure you want to kill another polar bear and add to global warming by taking a carrier bag?" nonsense!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:19 - Jan 30 with 5832 viewsMetallica_Hoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:49 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

I'll hijack this thread rather than start a new one!....

I'm a Portobello Road lad (well, Colville Terrace by Ledbury Road to be exact) innit so also have happy memories of my area through the 70's. My mum had a Saturday antique stall up on Goldborne Road on the corner by the TV repair shop.

Portobello Road/Ladbroke Grove/Hamrax motorcycles/Goldborne Road, all a bit grim in places and rough at the edges but a great time to be there.

My old junior school, Colville School, is just to the front and right of this picture and Virgin Records (Vernon Yard) just behind and to the left.

[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 16:51]

I used to go to playcentre in Colville sometimes in the 80's I remember Hamrax.

The Grand Union Centre built in 1986 next to the place where Hamrax was has been demolished and new flats being put up.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:20 - Jan 30 with 5832 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:15 - Jan 29 by ShotKneesHoop

The 140 rarely did Mill Hill to Sarfarra in 75 minutes.

Was the timetable drempt up by Rednobb?

This must be the only fanzine site where time is spent on discussing routes of RTL buses.

Shows what sort of a season we've had.

I WAS enjoying the football free thread!

The 187 used to go to South Harrow as well, but didn't back all the way to Northolt - went off towards Sudbury Town, Alperton etc.

So if you got one home, we had to get off at Petts Hill and walk back home to Ribblesdale Avenue from there

Bored yet?!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:13 - Jan 30 with 5805 viewsHarbour

ah petts hill now your talking the old radio station on the hill plus the joys of the racecourse estate are the green gates still there? ..venturing into Notholt and the Load of Hay with huge bar ( before Harvester came) and of course downstairs at the Plough on the green before it got burnt down... happy days!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:20 - Jan 30 with 5794 viewsTaxidermist

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:13 - Jan 30 by PinnerPaul

Yes, used to go to that cinema.

Remember the sights and smells! of Macfisheries as well - Did Sainsbury replace that?

No Sainsburys went to Corbins Lane end of Northolt Road almost opposite Odeon. Think old Sainsburys became Fads Wallpaper shop. Used to have brilliant greengrocers Ansleys, opposite side of road to Woolworths, fresh fruit and veg sold in brown paper bags. Shopping bags rested on upended orange crates. Used to bring home spare crates to play in/with and then chopped up for firewood.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:37 - Jan 30 with 5783 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:13 - Jan 30 by Harbour

ah petts hill now your talking the old radio station on the hill plus the joys of the racecourse estate are the green gates still there? ..venturing into Notholt and the Load of Hay with huge bar ( before Harvester came) and of course downstairs at the Plough on the green before it got burnt down... happy days!

The Load of Hay was my local.

Used to have a (the same) live band in there - on a Tuesday I think it was.

Fairly decent, but played the same songs every week!

I'm talking late 70s/early 80s
Login to get fewer ads

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:38 - Jan 30 with 5782 viewsballbag

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:49 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

I'll hijack this thread rather than start a new one!....

I'm a Portobello Road lad (well, Colville Terrace by Ledbury Road to be exact) innit so also have happy memories of my area through the 70's. My mum had a Saturday antique stall up on Goldborne Road on the corner by the TV repair shop.

Portobello Road/Ladbroke Grove/Hamrax motorcycles/Goldborne Road, all a bit grim in places and rough at the edges but a great time to be there.

My old junior school, Colville School, is just to the front and right of this picture and Virgin Records (Vernon Yard) just behind and to the left.

[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 16:51]

Went to school in Portobello Road from about 1986-1998. That Spanish school near the Goldborne end which looks (and is) a converted convent.

I have some great memories of the area...on our breaks we used to buy hash off the Moroccans on Golborne by Lisboa Patisserie, smoke it on Portobello Green and then wander off to Rough Trade in a haze.

Still visit the area every now and then as there still remains some semblance of the Galician-Spanish community which used to thrive around there. Go to Galicia restaurant if you fancy seeing some moustachioed old men shouting over a plate of pulpo.

Portobello is still a fcking nightmare on weekends though.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:44 - Jan 30 with 5775 viewshoopstar67

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 20:17 - Jan 29 by brewers_hoop

I have fond childhood memories of South Harrow in the 70s. My Nan & Grandad lived up Parkfield Road and I used to love going into the toy shop there (can’t remember its name but can recall buying an Action Man special operations tent there with my Christmas money). Also loved the indoor market opposite the station.

There was another record shop called Parkes’ on the parade at the bottom end of Northolt Road where I got my first record - David Bowie’s The Laughing Gnome (not quite on a par with Life On Mars and Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide, granted) .

My old man used to drink in The Constellation — or The Con as it was known (now The Star) and said it was like the Wild West in there at weekends, with punches and glasses flying. He later drank in Hennessy’s, where fittingly I suppose, he collapsed a few years ago before he had taken his first sip of the day. His last words to the landlord as he was carted off on a stretcher by the paramedics were: ”Eric, put that Guinness in the fridge — I’ll be back for that later!” — sadly he never was. Any long-term South Harrow residents on here may remember him as ‘Boycey’.

One good story he told me was of some good-looking Asian girl he knew being chatted up by a well-to-do fella up town. “Where are you from,” he asked her. “Saaf Arra” came the reply. “Sarfarra — where’s that?” he inquired — thinking it to be some exotic eastern paradise. “No, Saaaaf Arrra” she screamed — “Near Norffolt!”

Ah the constellation was a great pub back in the early 90's.I lived in parkfield road too so I used to go there every night playing pool. Used to be a party every weekend where the whole pub was invited.Had great memories of watching the 92 world cup there! Great days!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:59 - Jan 30 with 5768 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:44 - Jan 30 by hoopstar67

Ah the constellation was a great pub back in the early 90's.I lived in parkfield road too so I used to go there every night playing pool. Used to be a party every weekend where the whole pub was invited.Had great memories of watching the 92 world cup there! Great days!

"The Con was a great pub?? " FMG. It had even worse beer there than the Timber Carriage.

Best pub in Sarfarra was the original "White Horse" on Roxeth Hill with a decent drop of Benskins and DD in there. And no fights there either. During Xmas 2002 I told the Salvation Army band that was bell ringing Christmas Carols outside "The White Horse" to "Ring till you drop" - they took that as a threat and they moved off after a couple of minutes to "The Timber Carriage" - where I asked them to do the same thing again and they gave up and went home.

It was good to see more and more Hoops fans appearing every every year on the Piccadilly Line from Sarfarra station to Park Royal or Emmahsmiff. When I started watching the R's in 1961, everyone on the tube was going to either Spuds or Arse, so I was the solitary R's fan on the train.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:23 - Jan 30 with 5750 viewshoopstar67

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:59 - Jan 30 by ShotKneesHoop

"The Con was a great pub?? " FMG. It had even worse beer there than the Timber Carriage.

Best pub in Sarfarra was the original "White Horse" on Roxeth Hill with a decent drop of Benskins and DD in there. And no fights there either. During Xmas 2002 I told the Salvation Army band that was bell ringing Christmas Carols outside "The White Horse" to "Ring till you drop" - they took that as a threat and they moved off after a couple of minutes to "The Timber Carriage" - where I asked them to do the same thing again and they gave up and went home.

It was good to see more and more Hoops fans appearing every every year on the Piccadilly Line from Sarfarra station to Park Royal or Emmahsmiff. When I started watching the R's in 1961, everyone on the tube was going to either Spuds or Arse, so I was the solitary R's fan on the train.

Not talking about the beer, talking about the great times had in there and the people, well most of them anyway!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:37 - Jan 30 with 5740 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:23 - Jan 30 by hoopstar67

Not talking about the beer, talking about the great times had in there and the people, well most of them anyway!

Was in there (The Star) last Sunday to meet a few old buddies. Beer is ok now. Trouble is, it's now one of those places whereby blokes in football shirts come in, buy one lemonade or pint, make it last for 2 hours then disappear only to be replaced by another set of blokes in different shirts ready for the next game.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:18 - Jan 30 with 5720 viewsbrewers_hoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 07:52 - Jan 30 by Taxidermist

Toyshop was called Toycraft 70.

That was it! Cheers Taxi. And what a toy shop it was...
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 21:22 - Jan 30 with 5690 viewsHarbour

Yes load of hay was my local too i lived round corner till 82. Hay the plough and the crown were my haunts. The load of hay had an off license next to the pub where you could get party sevens. Cant remember the band in the hay. There was dodgy guys in the basement of the plough
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 10:05 - Jan 31 with 5492 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:20 - Jan 30 by PinnerPaul

I WAS enjoying the football free thread!

The 187 used to go to South Harrow as well, but didn't back all the way to Northolt - went off towards Sudbury Town, Alperton etc.

So if you got one home, we had to get off at Petts Hill and walk back home to Ribblesdale Avenue from there

Bored yet?!

No, can't remember ever using the 187.

Didn't the 187 run from nowhere north middlesex to nowhere south middlesex.

As we lived in no where mid middlesex, no point in doing a magical mystery tour on it.

Sarfarra - never the same place once the gas holder became a Waitrose. (Bit like the ugly duckling)

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 12:34 - Jan 31 with 5472 viewsTaxidermist

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 10:05 - Jan 31 by ShotKneesHoop

As we lived in no where mid middlesex, no point in doing a magical mystery tour on it.

Sarfarra - never the same place once the gas holder became a Waitrose. (Bit like the ugly duckling)

Middlesex - a great County mostly transferred into Greater London in 1965 - the rest to neighbouring counties. Identity lost - downward spiral began.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:06 - Feb 2 with 5409 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:13 - Jan 30 by Harbour

Yes they are Harbour.

Mrs PP lived on that very estate until I dragged her away all those years ago!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:12 - Feb 2 with 5398 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 10:05 - Jan 31 by ShotKneesHoop

South Harrow to Hampstead Heath via Alperton.

My Nan lived off the Whitton Avenue in Sudbury Town so used to use it quite a lot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024