Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... 11:57 - Jan 30 with 1701 viewsDiscodroids

..and Kevin Nolan on £70,OOO Per week.

Churchill Remembrance day 30/1/15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31041370

"let it end only when each one of us lies choking in his own blood upon the ground."..
[Post edited 30 Jan 2015 16:20]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 15:41 - Jan 30 with 1606 viewsheadhoops

I have nothing to offer you but excuses, lame excuses, no blood, no sweat, no tears and no points. We will fight them at the Bush we will be surrender monkeys away from home.

I know which leader I would like to take me into battle.....

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 15:56 - Jan 30 with 1582 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Great man.

They missed out Battle of Omdurman, The Boer War and his WW1 trench service pffffff.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:04 - Jan 30 with 1565 viewsSpiritofGregory

Forever RIP.

His father was a patron of QPR.
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:15 - Jan 30 with 1553 viewspaulparker

You will never see a PM with a send off like that in our lifetime again

a Great man indeed and an inspiration to millions through this country's darkest hours

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:22 - Jan 30 with 1539 viewsdaveB

My Grandad worked in the war rooms with him, when the declaration of the end of the war was done it was given to my Grandad to make photocopies for the Amercians and Russians. My Grandad spotted the date had been altered in ink from 7th May to 8th May 1945, and, with asked Winston Churchill if he would prefer the crossing out on the page photographically removed. Churchill replied “The Americans wanted the war to end on one date and the Russians wanted it to end on another, but I got my way, May 8th!” And thus the correction duly remained upon the historic document.
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:32 - Jan 30 with 1524 viewspaulparker

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:22 - Jan 30 by daveB

My Grandad worked in the war rooms with him, when the declaration of the end of the war was done it was given to my Grandad to make photocopies for the Amercians and Russians. My Grandad spotted the date had been altered in ink from 7th May to 8th May 1945, and, with asked Winston Churchill if he would prefer the crossing out on the page photographically removed. Churchill replied “The Americans wanted the war to end on one date and the Russians wanted it to end on another, but I got my way, May 8th!” And thus the correction duly remained upon the historic document.

Good story that Dave, I bet your Granddad had a few tales
considering the bloke had depression and managed to drink like a fish he was some leader ,
still puzzling how he lost the general election in 1945

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:36 - Jan 30 with 1519 viewsdaveB

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:32 - Jan 30 by paulparker

considering the bloke had depression and managed to drink like a fish he was some leader ,

He does, article on my grandad here, apologies for the shameless link

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/10/28/tony-jack-trumans-brewery-chauffeur/

Of all the stories I've been told, Churchill was genuinely awe inspiring, Ian Holloway like for a nation
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:42 - Jan 30 with 1509 viewsDiscodroids

cheers dave

thank fu ck for that, i thought when i put this thread up 4 hours ago it was going to get less posts than deirdre barlow turning up her toes.

for those interested there was a very good drama /documentry on itv a few days ago @churchill 1oo days that saved britain' still on catch up.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2015 16:43]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:50 - Jan 30 with 1492 viewspaulparker

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:42 - Jan 30 by Discodroids

cheers dave

thank fu ck for that, i thought when i put this thread up 4 hours ago it was going to get less posts than deirdre barlow turning up her toes.

for those interested there was a very good drama /documentry on itv a few days ago @churchill 1oo days that saved britain' still on catch up.

There was a great one last year Disco think on BBC 3 on how Churchill didn't want to invade France so early on in the war but instead go through Africa, Libya, Italy , malta and try to defeat the Germans that way
it was only under intense pressure from the yanks that made him commit to D Day
worth a look as it might be on BBC player

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 17:05 - Jan 30 with 1466 viewsdaveB

The show the other night about his funeral was really moving, worth seeing on iplayer if you get the chance
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 17:18 - Jan 30 with 1455 viewsSpiritofGregory

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:42 - Jan 30 by Discodroids

cheers dave

I'll be catching up on all of them.

Such a difference to the politicians of today.
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 17:18 - Jan 30 with 1453 viewsrobith

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:32 - Jan 30 by paulparker

It isn't really that puzzling. He thought he was going to walk it so barely tried. People wanted victory to mean something - vast swathes of the country lived in abject poverty. Attlee offered people something they wanted. Also, the Tories had been mired in muck throughout the 20s and 30s, they had a very poor image.

Finally, people found Churchill's comments about Labour bringing in their own gestapo in tremendously bad taste and soured his public image right before the election
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 19:21 - Jan 30 with 1403 viewsHollowayRanger

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 17:18 - Jan 30 by robith

It isn't really that puzzling. He thought he was going to walk it so barely tried. People wanted victory to mean something - vast swathes of the country lived in abject poverty. Attlee offered people something they wanted. Also, the Tories had been mired in muck throughout the 20s and 30s, they had a very poor image.

Finally, people found Churchill's comments about Labour bringing in their own gestapo in tremendously bad taste and soured his public image right before the election

says even more that he won it back off labour in 1951 aged 77

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 20:04 - Jan 30 with 1379 viewsLblock

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 16:36 - Jan 30 by daveB

He does, article on my grandad here, apologies for the shameless link

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/10/28/tony-jack-trumans-brewery-chauffeur/

Of all the stories I've been told, Churchill was genuinely awe inspiring, Ian Holloway like for a nation

Dave that was cracking reading -- thanks for that.

You Sir, should be as proud as a peacock for that. Stirs my heart so it does that this broken country was once so great and filled with great men like your Grandad.

I still think you are a fool for supporting Saga Chops but I'd buy you a large glass of Haig Club (no ice) and a cigar any day to listen to stories handed down.

Salutes.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 23:38 - Jan 30 with 1335 viewsCiderwithRsie

cheers dave

If you prefer radio there's a good edition of "Great Lives" on him, recently repeated on R4Extra, probably still on Listen Again.

When he came back from failing to persuade the French to stay in the war, his ADC said not to get down as we could still win: Churchill told him that within a year they would both be dead. Note, there was no question of surrendering, he fully expected to literally go down fighting. A week or so later he gave his "Finest Hour" speech.

I always thought he gave that speech after the Battle of Britain, because it sounds appropriate, but he gave it beforehand - it wasn't congratulatory, it was saying "This is what we are going to have to do." Coming from a guy who thought it would probably involve his own death.

"Fight them on the beaches" is remembered as a great speech, but if you read it carefully it's actually a clear and factual statement of how the battle could be fought and won - it's not just a rallying cry, it's a plan. [And most analysts reckon it would have worked too, if Hitler had ever invaded.]
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 00:11 - Jan 31 with 1316 viewsJigsore

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 19:21 - Jan 30 by HollowayRanger

says even more that he won it back off labour in 1951 aged 77

that the economic upturn came a few months too late for Labour to be credited for it?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 00:31 - Jan 31 with 1305 viewsHollowayRanger

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 00:11 - Jan 31 by Jigsore

that the economic upturn came a few months too late for Labour to be credited for it?

economic upturn Labour

in the same sentence!!!!!!!

all before my time

Churchill right man to lead nation during war but not the peace afterwards read somewhere Churchill dealt with all the war affairsof govenment and left his deputy attlee to run the home affairs front so when war ended people choosed attlee as he was more in touch with their needs and rightly so

amazing life made loads of mistakes but spotted the evil of hitler and the Nazis long before most and saw though stalin and his iron curtain

my favourite touch was his wreath for king George
At the King's funeral, attached to the Government's wreath was a card on which Churchill had written - 'For Valour'.
George was never meant to be king least of all during its darkest hour the stress of it all aged him and killed him before his time

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 08:32 - Jan 31 with 1240 viewsdaveB

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 20:04 - Jan 30 by Lblock

Dave that was cracking reading -- thanks for that.

You Sir, should be as proud as a peacock for that. Stirs my heart so it does that this broken country was once so great and filled with great men like your Grandad.

I still think you are a fool for supporting Saga Chops but I'd buy you a large glass of Haig Club (no ice) and a cigar any day to listen to stories handed down.

Salutes.

in my defence I don't really support Redknapp, if what the club are saying about developing players etc is true then it's time to change it now and get in a manager who will do that, sadly what they say and do is very different so whilst they continue to act like lunatics with one more signing the answer to everything then Redknapp is perfect for that kind of club
I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 08:54 - Jan 31 with 1230 viewsDiscodroids

I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears..... on 23:38 - Jan 30 by CiderwithRsie

If you prefer radio there's a good edition of "Great Lives" on him, recently repeated on R4Extra, probably still on Listen Again.

When he came back from failing to persuade the French to stay in the war, his ADC said not to get down as we could still win: Churchill told him that within a year they would both be dead. Note, there was no question of surrendering, he fully expected to literally go down fighting. A week or so later he gave his "Finest Hour" speech.

I always thought he gave that speech after the Battle of Britain, because it sounds appropriate, but he gave it beforehand - it wasn't congratulatory, it was saying "This is what we are going to have to do." Coming from a guy who thought it would probably involve his own death.

"Fight them on the beaches" is remembered as a great speech, but if you read it carefully it's actually a clear and factual statement of how the battle could be fought and won - it's not just a rallying cry, it's a plan. [And most analysts reckon it would have worked too, if Hitler had ever invaded.]

cheers cider, will catch up with that.

the more i learn about this great , great man , the more i am in awe of him.

there was also a drama documentry with the magnificent brendan gleeson playing churchill, ' into the storm', which is also very good, as is the BBC 'Dunkirk' dramatisation.

the german grenade scene at 38 mins followed by churchill addressing his cabinet should be noted.

im currently reading loads of material on the occupation of the channel islands, which fascinates me. so close to home.

it brings me great joy to see people make petty, snide political comments about him, for thats the very reason so many gave their lives , freedom of speech and from tyranny .

quite, quite wonderful.

gives me a glow that not even fkn nick clegg on ready breck directing operations in the battle of britain war room could muster.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2015 9:19]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024