Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic: Curry 23:37 - Feb 6 with 6993 viewsToast_R

I'm sure a few of you on here like a bit of this, you know, football, few beers a bit peckish, where does the day usually end?

Ok, enlighten me, I've watched the Rugby with a bottle of VAT 69 shared with the brother in law, it's been a fun evening.

Is it just me or has the general standard of Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan restaurant's within say, the last 10 to 15 years gone right down hill?

I just cannot get a hot curry these days. Seriously. Vindaloo used to be a real mission not for the feint hearted. A Madras used to be a decent half hearted challenge, you'd know you had a curry after. A Phaal, well only the insane would attempt. These days's I've been to many restaurants far and near, eating in and taking away. You just cannot get a hot curry anymore, what has gone wrong?

A Phaal 9/10 is these days far less then what a Vindaloo used to be.
What's with the copious amounts of oil too?

I fear the art is dying in the UK and we're silently putting up with crap standards.
A good friend of mine who's a Saffie and lived in Durban,reckons he's noticed it too. Durban has a big Indian population and Curry is a big deal in that city. He said the standards were just as good here when he first emigrated although not many did their favourable bunny chow. Even he's noticed how poor a curry has become here.

Someone direct me in the right place..please.

Off Topic: Curry on 23:40 - Feb 6 with 4781 viewsTheBlob

You had to mention curry didn't you.
I've got to root around the cupboards to see if there's any Bombay Mix lying around now....

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Off Topic: Curry on 23:53 - Feb 6 with 4754 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I just think we have a genuine taste for the food now and all that eating as hot as possible curry is a bit passe.
Off Topic: Curry on 23:55 - Feb 6 with 4751 viewsPunteR

sharhidas. Harmans water,bracknell.
Been the same for the last 15 years at least.. chicken chili masala.chicken jalfrazie.Prawn puri.nice.
Hotwok for chinese.
If there's two things in life i can rely on its these two.
Phaal is just a fetish. pouring hot lava into my mouth is not my idea of food.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2015 1:10]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Off Topic: Curry on 01:07 - Feb 7 with 4703 viewsBklynRanger

I think there might be something to that, Toast.

One way to improve things, which I usually do, is ask for a side of green chillis - meaning the birdeye ones. Don't bother to chop them up, just bite into them while you're eating and drinking. It's possible you (as I have) may get the slowly raised eyebrow of surprised respect because it's a fairly common thing for your Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis.
Off Topic: Curry on 01:15 - Feb 7 with 4697 viewsMonkey_Roots

Desi Tadka on the Hayes/southall border. I don't know about how hot it gets, but the food is authentic, the atmosphere is great, and the people there are welcoming. I've been going there for over 10 years, my young children eat there and it's so far removed from the westernised rubbish you get in 90% of other curry houses. Dancing too (banging Punjabi music).

Korai express in Hayes and one in slough too also really good.

I live in Crowthorne near Camberley, and I travel to these places to get the real flavour of Indian food. Beautiful.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Off Topic: Curry on 07:34 - Feb 7 with 4611 viewsDWQPR

Could it be that as the OP gets older the taste buds get a little more used to the heat and therefore vindaloos and the like just do not seem so hot. Personally I enjoy a curry now for the flavour not the heat, gone are my vindaloo days and I think that there is nothing better than a decent lamb madras with a mushroom bahji side. Sadly my favourite curry house of the last decade changed hands last year and the standards have plummeted. Haven't had a ruby since September and have started to make my own instead.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Off Topic: Curry on 07:44 - Feb 7 with 4599 viewsPommyhoop

Its hard to get a decent curry over here.The locals think they are being very daring if they go for ''buttered chicken''. You know something isn't quite right when you order a vindaloo and you are offered the option of mild , medium or hot. The same go's for a korma.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Off Topic: Curry on 08:29 - Feb 7 with 4535 viewsPommyhoop

Off Topic: Curry on 01:15 - Feb 7 by Monkey_Roots

Desi Tadka on the Hayes/southall border. I don't know about how hot it gets, but the food is authentic, the atmosphere is great, and the people there are welcoming. I've been going there for over 10 years, my young children eat there and it's so far removed from the westernised rubbish you get in 90% of other curry houses. Dancing too (banging Punjabi music).

Korai express in Hayes and one in slough too also really good.

I live in Crowthorne near Camberley, and I travel to these places to get the real flavour of Indian food. Beautiful.

Have you tried Shahi Nan Kebab from top of the bridge? Fast food but a welcome change from Maccy Dee's..

edit Southall Bridge..
[Post edited 7 Feb 2015 8:30]

Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic: Curry on 09:40 - Feb 7 with 4457 viewsLblock

Next time you go for a ruby try ordering a Tarka Dahl.

It's a bit like a chicken dahl... but it's a little otter.

COAT!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Off Topic: Curry on 09:55 - Feb 7 with 4440 viewsPommyhoop

Swerving a little bit off topic.
Have any expats in the Brizzy area tried Chumley Warners Chippy.?
They've recently opened a branch near me and I've had it the last 3 Fridays..
Mate! There was a tear rolling down my cheek when I first bit down into that perfectly battered cod. Then I realised it was a little splash of grease.
Loverly!!!

http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/

Off Topic: Curry on 12:48 - Feb 7 with 4327 viewsbarabajagal

Off Topic: Curry on 09:55 - Feb 7 by Pommyhoop

Swerving a little bit off topic.
Have any expats in the Brizzy area tried Chumley Warners Chippy.?
They've recently opened a branch near me and I've had it the last 3 Fridays..
Mate! There was a tear rolling down my cheek when I first bit down into that perfectly battered cod. Then I realised it was a little splash of grease.
Loverly!!!

http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/

I cannot recommend the Eastern Eye highly enough, their dosas are exceptional. It's the quirkiest Indian around, but the food is second to none and reasonably priced too. Trouble is, it's in London Road, Brighton. So I expect that's as useful to you as a fart in a colander.

A mate of mine would always order a side dish of chopped chilies and garlic, and sprinkle it liberally over his curry, you wouldn't do it on a first date, but it adds plenty of spice and flavour to an average dish.

One further complaint. Why doesn't the average Indian offer ale? Why does it always have to be 660ml of 'authentic Indian lager beer' (Cobra was invented in Fulham in 1989 and is now brewed in Burton-on-Trent) at £6.95 a bottle?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2015 14:04]
Off Topic: Curry on 13:02 - Feb 7 with 4306 viewsToast_R

My taste buds can handle heat a lot better as I've grown older but I mantain this is not the reason for heat less curries becoming more predominant.
Possible reasons...
The restuarants dont want to put off their customers as the majority prefer mild.
The standard of chef is far less then what it used to be
Meals are all about doing it on the cheap, higher output less quality.

There's one great place I can rely on but its a fair way out zo I only go there on special occasions. Chak89 in Mitcham Surrey. Absolute quality and spicy. You know its good when the majority of customers are Asian. Their menu is small but each dish on offer is prepared to the highest of standards. From the outside the building looks like a warehouse on some morbid industrial estate. Once inside it's magic. They also have a big function room perfect for work do's, weddings etc. Had a work do there myself a few years back, thats how I got to know it. Anyone South of the river give it a go.. you wont be disappointed although weekends a booking is advisable.

Live in Molesey so looking for nearer options.
Off Topic: Curry on 13:26 - Feb 7 with 4289 viewsPommyhoop

Off Topic: Curry on 13:02 - Feb 7 by Toast_R

My taste buds can handle heat a lot better as I've grown older but I mantain this is not the reason for heat less curries becoming more predominant.
Possible reasons...
The restuarants dont want to put off their customers as the majority prefer mild.

There's one great place I can rely on but its a fair way out zo I only go there on special occasions. Chak89 in Mitcham Surrey. Absolute quality and spicy. You know its good when the majority of customers are Asian. Their menu is small but each dish on offer is prepared to the highest of standards. From the outside the building looks like a warehouse on some morbid industrial estate. Once inside it's magic. They also have a big function room perfect for work do's, weddings etc. Had a work do there myself a few years back, thats how I got to know it. Anyone South of the river give it a go.. you wont be disappointed although weekends a booking is advisable.

Toast ,have you ever been to or heard of 'Brilliant' in Southall?
Back in the day it was up there with the best in the country and won awards saying as much.
I was called to that area to get the leccy back on.They had a wedding reception on and were desperado.. Needless to say 'Brilliant' was the first back on supply and I had the best ever Indian meal in my life.

Off Topic: Curry on 13:48 - Feb 7 with 4270 viewsHayesender

Talking of decent curries, anyone know of a good curry house in Newcastle for Tuesday?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Off Topic: Curry on 16:20 - Jul 26 with 3571 viewsToast_R

Found an unbelievable one last Friday for anyone down in Saarf London.
Sai Authentic Punjab Cusine - in Raynes Park SW20.

I had a Mutton Laal Maas which was spicy and just superb, they even had a keg of beer brewed by some Micro Brewery in Kent on offer, it wasn't too bad but I went on the King fisher after a pint. You can sit out front on the decking at the moment which in the weather last week, was a touch.

Try it, you'll thank me.
Off Topic: Curry on 16:30 - Jul 26 with 3534 viewsLythamR

Off Topic: Curry on 13:48 - Feb 7 by Hayesender

Talking of decent curries, anyone know of a good curry house in Newcastle for Tuesday?

http://www.localdatasearch.com/newcastle_upon_tyne/city_centre/restaurant_-_indi

Zaiqua Have been here a few times both with the chaps and for a romantic dinner with the Mrs

Lovely food and friendly attentive service both times. its quayside at the bottom of the hill decent menu and probably fairly quiet on a Tuesday
Off Topic: Curry on 16:36 - Jul 26 with 3519 views1MoreBrightonR

Off Topic: Curry on 12:48 - Feb 7 by barabajagal

I cannot recommend the Eastern Eye highly enough, their dosas are exceptional. It's the quirkiest Indian around, but the food is second to none and reasonably priced too. Trouble is, it's in London Road, Brighton. So I expect that's as useful to you as a fart in a colander.

A mate of mine would always order a side dish of chopped chilies and garlic, and sprinkle it liberally over his curry, you wouldn't do it on a first date, but it adds plenty of spice and flavour to an average dish.

One further complaint. Why doesn't the average Indian offer ale? Why does it always have to be 660ml of 'authentic Indian lager beer' (Cobra was invented in Fulham in 1989 and is now brewed in Burton-on-Trent) at £6.95 a bottle?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2015 14:04]

Eastern Eye...the place in Brighton where the waiter scratched his nuts while he was taking our order. classic. good food though!

You need to head to East London....Whitechapel has some great curry spots (Lahore being one of my favourites)...Green St has a few too though most are south indian so not that hot. They are a lot less generic in their flavours too.

The other issue is that i think all our tolerance has just gone up now as we are used to spicy food.
Off Topic: Curry on 16:36 - Jul 26 with 3519 viewslondonscottish

Off Topic: Curry on 23:40 - Feb 6 by TheBlob

You had to mention curry didn't you.
I've got to root around the cupboards to see if there's any Bombay Mix lying around now....

Good idea. I have some left over from the other day. I always have the munchies after cycling nearly 10 miles home. It'll cancel out the exercise but it'll be worth it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Off Topic: Curry on 16:48 - Jul 26 with 3493 viewsBoston

Really enjoyed curry as a kid, particularly a lamb or meat madras. Nowadays I don't care, seem to have swerved back to good old fashioned grub.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 16:51]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Off Topic: Curry on 16:50 - Jul 26 with 3484 viewsBoston

Off Topic: Curry on 13:48 - Feb 7 by Hayesender

Isn't there a 'Curry Mile' in South Shields? Few miles out but on the underground system.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Off Topic: Curry on 17:01 - Jul 26 with 3458 viewsstowmarketrange

Off Topic: Curry on 16:50 - Jul 26 by Boston

Isn't there a 'Curry Mile' in South Shields? Few miles out but on the underground system.

There certainly is.Every other shop is a curry house.Or at least it used to be like that 15 years ago.
You don't see many cats roaming around up there.
Off Topic: Curry on 17:11 - Jul 26 with 3441 viewsA_B_4

Can anyone recommend a decent curry place near LR for pre match?
Off Topic: Curry on 17:14 - Jul 26 with 3435 views1MoreBrightonR

Not super close but a friend took me here recently:
http://potli.co.uk/find.php by Ravencourt Park/Hammersmith. very very good though a little more expensive than the usual curry house.
Off Topic: Curry on 20:02 - Jul 26 with 3266 viewsjohncharles

Monty's in Northfields Avenue. Nepalese and just the mutt's nuts. If you live in West Ealing you'll know it, if you don't you have a wonderful surprise to come.

Strong and stable my arse.

Off Topic: Curry on 20:22 - Jul 26 with 3236 viewsPigbag

Off Topic: Curry on 13:02 - Feb 7 by Toast_R

Possible reasons...

I live in Molesey mate. Best curry house is a ten minute drive in Hsmpton called Monafs. Quite expensive but you get what you pay for, the best curry I've ever had. Every time I've recommended it I've got the same feedback.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024