Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic: Curry 23:37 - Feb 6 with 6996 viewsToast_R

I'm sure a few of you on here like a bit of this, you know, football, few beers a bit peckish, where does the day usually end?

Ok, enlighten me, I've watched the Rugby with a bottle of VAT 69 shared with the brother in law, it's been a fun evening.

Is it just me or has the general standard of Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan restaurant's within say, the last 10 to 15 years gone right down hill?

I just cannot get a hot curry these days. Seriously. Vindaloo used to be a real mission not for the feint hearted. A Madras used to be a decent half hearted challenge, you'd know you had a curry after. A Phaal, well only the insane would attempt. These days's I've been to many restaurants far and near, eating in and taking away. You just cannot get a hot curry anymore, what has gone wrong?

A Phaal 9/10 is these days far less then what a Vindaloo used to be.
What's with the copious amounts of oil too?

I fear the art is dying in the UK and we're silently putting up with crap standards.
A good friend of mine who's a Saffie and lived in Durban,reckons he's noticed it too. Durban has a big Indian population and Curry is a big deal in that city. He said the standards were just as good here when he first emigrated although not many did their favourable bunny chow. Even he's noticed how poor a curry has become here.

Someone direct me in the right place..please.

Off Topic: Curry on 18:22 - Jul 27 with 1017 viewsaston_hoop

Off Topic: Curry on 16:49 - Jul 27 by Brightonhoop

Depends how high up the mountains you can get Brooklyn, when it's 35 c in the city you can still see snow on the tops of Sierra Nevada. Mad place.

Where abouts are you Aston?

I'm off the mainland in Palma de Mallorca but tend to get over to Andalusia every couple of months for some exploring. Helps that we get 50% discount on flights as island residents

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Off Topic: Curry on 21:00 - Jul 27 with 967 viewsBrightonhoop

Off Topic: Curry on 18:22 - Jul 27 by aston_hoop

I'm off the mainland in Palma de Mallorca but tend to get over to Andalusia every couple of months for some exploring. Helps that we get 50% discount on flights as island residents

Very nice, aston. Yep, 50% off flights would be a blessing, the road are terrible and the trains seem to go backwards.
Off Topic: Curry on 08:36 - Jul 28 with 920 viewspaulparker

Off Topic: Curry on 07:34 - Feb 7 by DWQPR

Could it be that as the OP gets older the taste buds get a little more used to the heat and therefore vindaloos and the like just do not seem so hot. Personally I enjoy a curry now for the flavour not the heat, gone are my vindaloo days and I think that there is nothing better than a decent lamb madras with a mushroom bahji side. Sadly my favourite curry house of the last decade changed hands last year and the standards have plummeted. Haven't had a ruby since September and have started to make my own instead.

Hey DW as you love not far from me where do you go for a ruby or can recommend ?
Me & Mrs P tried the Calcutta Brasserie in Stony the first time we went it was bang on , good flavours very spicy and the sag paneer was top notch , we went a couple of weeks ago taking our daughter and the food was very bland and the sag paneer was lumpy

as for the best well the Samrat in pitshanger was superb when I used to live in Perivale
the curry's there made you sweat all ways full of flavour , someone said Montys which again was a good one, back in the day the owner used to do his banking where I worked so I always got a discount and was well looked after

but the best was a place called the Royal Cottage in Northwood , I thinks its changed hands now, but that was the mutts nuts a very basic interior but the food was to die for and the owner always pulled a decent pint , used to have some really good meals in there

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Off Topic: Curry on 18:27 - Jul 28 with 859 viewswestberksr

Off Topic: Curry on 08:36 - Jul 28 by paulparker

Hey DW as you love not far from me where do you go for a ruby or can recommend ?
Me & Mrs P tried the Calcutta Brasserie in Stony the first time we went it was bang on , good flavours very spicy and the sag paneer was top notch , we went a couple of weeks ago taking our daughter and the food was very bland and the sag paneer was lumpy

as for the best well the Samrat in pitshanger was superb when I used to live in Perivale
the curry's there made you sweat all ways full of flavour , someone said Montys which again was a good one, back in the day the owner used to do his banking where I worked so I always got a discount and was well looked after

but the best was a place called the Royal Cottage in Northwood , I thinks its changed hands now, but that was the mutts nuts a very basic interior but the food was to die for and the owner always pulled a decent pint , used to have some really good meals in there

I've got mates in SS, I'll ask where they use. He's one of us, she's scum ( but a season ticket holder in Upper Loft, so I'll let her off!) You'd like him PP, massive Frankie fan, had Your Love as ringtone when we first met.
Off Topic: Curry on 01:50 - Jul 29 with 807 viewsBoston

Off Topic: Curry on 18:27 - Jul 28 by westberksr

I've got mates in SS, I'll ask where they use. He's one of us, she's scum ( but a season ticket holder in Upper Loft, so I'll let her off!) You'd like him PP, massive Frankie fan, had Your Love as ringtone when we first met.

You've got mates where?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Off Topic: Curry on 08:43 - Jul 29 with 779 viewspaulparker

Off Topic: Curry on 18:27 - Jul 28 by westberksr

Cheers Westberks , he sounds like a decent fella already
I dunno what it is or why but its full of Chelsea fans around here you cant move for the fcukers walking around in there Chelsea tops or when they play on TV

as for the curry houses ive tried a couple but cant settle on a decent one to use religiously

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Off Topic: Curry on 09:05 - Jul 29 with 769 viewsMick_S

I used to know Stony pretty well, as we had friends that owned a pub in Beachampton, on the outskirts of S.S. Never had a curry, but always ate well in the area.
It must have changed considerably, we used to visit 20 odd years ago, but on one of the last occasions we were there, the talk of the town was of a scuffle in a pub - the first one apparently.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Off Topic: Curry on 13:41 - Jul 29 with 725 viewswestberksr

Off Topic: Curry on 08:43 - Jul 29 by paulparker

Cheers Westberks , he sounds like a decent fella already
I dunno what it is or why but its full of Chelsea fans around here you cant move for the fcukers walking around in there Chelsea tops or when they play on TV

as for the curry houses ive tried a couple but cant settle on a decent one to use religiously

Kardamom Lounge is their goto place for consistant food.

Calcutta Lounge is second (he says it looks the part being a converted church, but the food a bit hit & miss)

they drink in the Vaults bar (sorry, meant they live in the vaults bar); if you pop in there ask for Pete or Courtnay; tell them Stuart said to tell her she's Scum.
Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic: Curry on 13:45 - Jul 29 with 717 viewspaulparker

Off Topic: Curry on 13:41 - Jul 29 by westberksr

Kardamom Lounge is their goto place for consistant food.

Calcutta Lounge is second (he says it looks the part being a converted church, but the food a bit hit & miss)

they drink in the Vaults bar (sorry, meant they live in the vaults bar); if you pop in there ask for Pete or Courtnay; tell them Stuart said to tell her she's Scum.

Cheers Westberks , Il give that a go
been in Vaults a few times (funny old boozer ) plenty of old QPR tickets stuck above the bar so that could be your mate , if I see a couple together il give them a shout

Off Topic: Curry on 14:46 - Jul 29 with 676 viewswestberksr

Off Topic: Curry on 13:45 - Jul 29 by paulparker

Cheers Westberks , Il give that a go
been in Vaults a few times (funny old boozer ) plenty of old QPR tickets stuck above the bar so that could be your mate , if I see a couple together il give them a shout

you won't put them together as she is in her twenties and he's fifties (fair play to him); she swears like a Scum fan though; tall & slim, usually wearing Adidas Gazelle or similar.

like you say, odd little boozer but they are a hardcore group of regulars and friendly enough. Never get confused with a gastro pub!

the QPR tickets are indeed his.
Off Topic: Curry on 14:57 - Jul 29 with 670 viewspaulparker

Off Topic: Curry on 14:46 - Jul 29 by westberksr

you won't put them together as she is in her twenties and he's fifties (fair play to him); she swears like a Scum fan though; tall & slim, usually wearing Adidas Gazelle or similar.

like you say, odd little boozer but they are a hardcore group of regulars and friendly enough. Never get confused with a gastro pub!

the QPR tickets are indeed his.

Should be easy to spot then

I actually must give the vaults more of a go as I usually go to the plough just up the road
which always seems to be full of Chelsea fans

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024