Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retro Gamers Out there? 12:29 - Feb 27 with 21442 viewsToast_R

Remember Elite from the early 80s?
Spent many hours with my brother playing this game.

This revamped version is the stuff wet dreams were made of back then. Sadly with a new born I've no chance of experiencing it, and my PC is too sh*te.

Retro Gamers Out there? on 15:24 - Feb 27 with 3227 viewsPommyhoop

Right ,I'm off to my pit.
I'll leave you this.

Admit it , you are jealous of these superstars..
And a cringingly brilliant little film.
Donkey Kong : A fistful of quarters.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2015 15:31]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Retro Gamers Out there? on 15:42 - Feb 27 with 3214 viewsBklynRanger

That screenshot has filled me with nostalgia, Toast.

Elite was so classy - even the box just seemed to ooze quality! One of my most vivid memories about it was constantly crashing when trying to dock - there'd be this dull crash-thud noise signalling utter catastrophe. Once you were better at it you could get a docking computer that just glided you in while playing the Blue Danube while you sat there with a big smug, spotty grin on your face - the height of fcuking luxury. :)

Classic stuff.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:09 - Feb 27 with 3185 viewsLblock

Retro Gamers Out there? on 15:00 - Feb 27 by paulparker

Talking of Arcade games on summer holidays , anyone remember this ??

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/4

it was the hardest thing ever to get past 2 levels , no way could you dodge the million bullets flying everywhere

oh and Toast you should have invested in one of these, its every young boys summer holiday coin holder

I remember that game and I recall mastering it down on Eastbourne pier on me olly days
That soon disappeared though.

Another one came out sometime after called MACH III which was ground breaking at the time. I recall people saying each machine had a big laser disc in it because it had so much data as it used real flying footage. I found it almost impossible and to me it was just a ploy to keep you pumping coins in as you had to buy extra flying time. It was pretty cool at first but never a classic.

GORF is one I mentioned earlier - found this on utube and that Stephen Hawkins voice talking to you takes me back.

How simple yet brilliant things were. You could become an arcade hero by mastering those games and if you were really good you'd even gather a crowd to watch you break levels!! I remember once at the LT club in Acton someone said to me "here comes the Lunar Lander kid" and I loved it!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:18 - Feb 27 with 3171 viewspaulparker

Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:09 - Feb 27 by Lblock

I remember that game and I recall mastering it down on Eastbourne pier on me olly days

Another one came out sometime after called MACH III which was ground breaking at the time. I recall people saying each machine had a big laser disc in it because it had so much data as it used real flying footage. I found it almost impossible and to me it was just a ploy to keep you pumping coins in as you had to buy extra flying time. It was pretty cool at first but never a classic.

GORF is one I mentioned earlier - found this on utube and that Stephen Hawkins voice talking to you takes me back.

How simple yet brilliant things were. You could become an arcade hero by mastering those games and if you were really good you'd even gather a crowd to watch you break levels!! I remember once at the LT club in Acton someone said to me "here comes the Lunar Lander kid" and I loved it!!!!

It was a sign you made it in life Lblock if you ever got a crowd around you , or even better got to put your initials as one of the high scorers

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:25 - Feb 27 with 3168 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What was the one with the moon buggy that fired forward and up? I kept blowing up in craters.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:53 - Feb 27 with 3148 viewsFredManRave

Then there was Digger, of course and the surprisingly as yet unmentioned utter classic;

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Retro Gamers Out there? on 17:07 - Feb 27 with 3138 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Retro Gamers Out there? on 17:07 - Feb 27 with 3138 viewsFredManRave

Obviously the whole episode is well worth a watch;

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Retro Gamers Out there? on 17:47 - Feb 27 with 3116 viewsheadhoops

Mr Do
dropping things on them crazy aliens

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Retro Gamers Out there? on 18:38 - Feb 27 with 3090 viewsLblock

Christ I've enjoyed this thread -- some proper good memories.

Who'd of thought it? Young 'un memories attached to some 10p slots and analogue blobs moving round a screen and grabbing a joystick.

A sure sign there's no game this week!!!

Retro Gamers Out there? on 19:08 - Feb 27 with 3088 views1BobbyHazell

Retro Gamers Out there? on 16:09 - Feb 27 by Lblock

I f***king loved Gorf, brilliant. God knows how much I spent to get good at it, but as has been said, it was all worth it when I gathered a crowd of older kids around me in the Putney Dayvilles getting to Space Avenger!

Liked Scramble too.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 19:49 - Feb 27 with 3051 viewsHollowayRanger

galaxion
gorf
space invaders
astriods
missile command
sub hunter/deep charge
and track and field

were my favs

but there was this weird one luna orbit where you had to land a luna ak neil Armstrong eagle on the moon

I never got the hang of it it

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Retro Gamers Out there? on 19:57 - Feb 27 with 3047 viewsClive_Anderson

Loved Moon Cresta and Space Invaders, but Asteroids was the best.

That was until Space Harrier and R-Type came out the latter which I still think is the best looking game ever:

I used to work for David Braben who co-wrote Elite and he was quite an odd chap to say the least.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 20:19 - Feb 27 with 3033 viewsLblock

Retro Gamers Out there? on 19:08 - Feb 27 by 1BobbyHazell

I f***king loved Gorf, brilliant. God knows how much I spent to get good at it, but as has been said, it was all worth it when I gathered a crowd of older kids around me in the Putney Dayvilles getting to Space Avenger!

Liked Scramble too.

SCRAMBLE!!!

I was the dogs danglys at that!
The LT club in Acton had it and I used to be able to clock loads of credits in there as it was always deserted on Sundays.

Wicked stuff

Retro Gamers Out there? on 20:35 - Feb 27 with 3032 viewsMatch82

Atari was my first console. Had pacman, as well as Centipede and Joust.

Both horribly addictive.

There are a couple of bars here which are arcade game themed. You go in, play arcade games all night for free. Beers are about twice the normal price, but hours of fun. Spend ages on Track and Field trying to get through all the events!
Retro Gamers Out there? on 20:56 - Feb 27 with 2664 viewsYorkRanger

Loved Space Invaders and Space Invaders 2 (vaguely remember some bonus feature if you deleted all the aliens in a column but from Top to bottom. Also on Space invaders you could count your shots to get a maximum 300 points for the invader that went across the top of the screen (think it was 22 and then 14).

Also loved Galaxian, Defender, Asteroids and Pacman. Spent ages in the Dry Cleaners and Fish and Chip Shop at Tooting Bec on the machines in the very early 80s. Nostalgic thread ....
Retro Gamers Out there? on 21:04 - Feb 27 with 2654 viewsMaggsinho

Retro Gamers Out there? on 15:42 - Feb 27 by BklynRanger

That screenshot has filled me with nostalgia, Toast.

Elite was so classy - even the box just seemed to ooze quality! One of my most vivid memories about it was constantly crashing when trying to dock - there'd be this dull crash-thud noise signalling utter catastrophe. Once you were better at it you could get a docking computer that just glided you in while playing the Blue Danube while you sat there with a big smug, spotty grin on your face - the height of fcuking luxury. :)

Classic stuff.

Yeah, trying to spin the ship and get the right angle to dock was a right pain, the docking computer was always the first thing I bought once I had the credits. But once you got loaded up with more powerful lasers, bigger cargo bay, missiles etc it was awesome.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 21:25 - Feb 27 with 2641 viewsPommyhoop

3 D baby !!
3 f'cking D !

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Retro Gamers Out there? on 21:47 - Feb 27 with 2629 viewsClive_Anderson

Retro Gamers Out there? on 21:25 - Feb 27 by Pommyhoop

3 D baby !!
3 f'cking D !

Remember playing that for three days solid when my parents dragged me to Worthing for the World Bowls Championship as a kid.

Still looks the bollocks now.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 21:49 - Feb 27 with 2629 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Total blast from the past. Uncanny - second time in a week that I've read something about Elite.

There's a book about the creators of Elite coming out (or just come out) so I read this last weekend - fascinating. A different world and yet not all that long ago really.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/oct/18/features.weekend?CMP=share_btn_tw
Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:24 - Feb 27 with 2609 viewsPunteR

Retro Gamers Out there? on 19:57 - Feb 27 by Clive_Anderson

Loved Moon Cresta and Space Invaders, but Asteroids was the best.

That was until Space Harrier and R-Type came out the latter which I still think is the best looking game ever:

I used to work for David Braben who co-wrote Elite and he was quite an odd chap to say the least.

Loved R-Type,one of my all time favourites.
Double Dragon
Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Shinobi

Arcades were brilliant. Great thread.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:43 - Feb 27 with 2592 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:24 - Feb 27 by PunteR

Loved R-Type,one of my all time favourites.
Double Dragon
Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Shinobi

Arcades were brilliant. Great thread.

All fantastic games. Definitely my era!

What was the one that Bomb The Bass wrote Megablast for? (It sampled the soundtrack to Assault On Precinct 13). Probably 1989 - Xenon 2 was it?
Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:47 - Feb 27 with 2591 viewsClive_Anderson

Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:43 - Feb 27 by PlumsteadQPR

All fantastic games. Definitely my era!

What was the one that Bomb The Bass wrote Megablast for? (It sampled the soundtrack to Assault On Precinct 13). Probably 1989 - Xenon 2 was it?

Yep Xenon 2 from the Bitmap Brothers.

Used to love their games, Speedball2, Gods, Chaos Engine, Cadaver nothing like that these days.
Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:50 - Feb 27 with 2587 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Retro Gamers Out there? on 22:47 - Feb 27 by Clive_Anderson

Yep Xenon 2 from the Bitmap Brothers.

Used to love their games, Speedball2, Gods, Chaos Engine, Cadaver nothing like that these days.

Ah man Speedball 2 was an absolute monster of a game! Subtitle of BRUTAL DELUXE if I remember rightly!
Retro Gamers Out there? on 00:34 - Feb 28 with 2557 viewsSimonStainrod

In the mood to dig out me old zx spectrum from loft this weekend now although not sure got any cassette player to load the games. Used to be a real skill getting volume at correct setting in order for load to work as I recall. Also leaving pile of coins on pause button when rudely interrupted for tea. Football manager games lot less complicated back then and some classics like Jetpac, Manic Miner. Daley Thompsons Decathlon was a killer using just fingers on keys for the 400m!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024