Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackmarket Records has shut down 21:48 - Feb 27 with 8160 viewsqueensparker

One for the Frankie thread aficionados - sad news of a legendary place run by a Ranger:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/02/27/london-record-store-bm-soho-formerly-black-mar

Spent many a happy hour or two in there over the years (and bought a hell of a lot of crap now all shoved in the attic that sounded 'good at the time')
[Post edited 27 Feb 2015 21:52]
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 21:57 - Feb 27 with 7090 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That's a shame. What with vinyl making such a comeback as well
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:04 - Feb 27 with 7072 viewsted_hendrix

I miss vinyl, there was something about buying an LP record getting it home and actually smelling the inside of the record sleeve before actually playing the goddam thing.
Don't suppose anybody knows wtf I'm on about but I do.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:11 - Feb 27 with 7059 viewsW12SG2

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:04 - Feb 27 by ted_hendrix

I miss vinyl, there was something about buying an LP record getting it home and actually smelling the inside of the record sleeve before actually playing the goddam thing.

Still buying it - Sounds of the Universe, just off Berwick Street, by the Blue Posts is my current favourite in London but living in the sticks now it's more often from Davids in Letchworth. My 14 year old son has also got into vinyl. He used to rip the pisss out of my records but then he lost his ipod and saw the light. Keep the faith.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:23 - Feb 27 with 7045 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:11 - Feb 27 by W12SG2

Still buying it - Sounds of the Universe, just off Berwick Street, by the Blue Posts is my current favourite in London but living in the sticks now it's more often from Davids in Letchworth. My 14 year old son has also got into vinyl. He used to rip the pisss out of my records but then he lost his ipod and saw the light. Keep the faith.

Yep. Like most people I stopped actually physically buying music in any form for a good few years in the 2000s and just downloaded everything from iTunes et al. Then I noticed that all my favourite record shops (and HMV, Fopp etc) were closing down so I stopped. For the last 2-3 years now every payday has seen me head to Sounds Of The Universe, Sister Ray and the like to spend £30-£50 on tunes. admittedly generally on CD rather than vinyl but feel like I'm going my bit!

Same as how I haven't bought owt from Amazon for a similar period of time. I try to use Foyles or some other independent store instead. I know it ends up costing a couple of £ more but it's only the price of a pint really and at least I know I'm making my contribution however small to paying a nurse's wages or a binman, teacher, rozzer whatever... Of course I may have just contributed towards a warhead aimed at Libya or the like😡😡
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:28 - Feb 27 with 7038 viewsJuzzie

April 18th - Record Store Day.

A day to promote and encourage people going into traditional stores. Records available for release, mainly vinyl, are only exclusive to these stores, not available online at Amazon etc.

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk

[Post edited 27 Feb 2015 22:30]
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:57 - Feb 27 with 7010 viewstommyg01

That's a shame. Used to deliver post there a few years ago, no shortage of interesting characters about.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2015 23:00]
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 01:47 - Feb 28 with 6931 viewssilky

What a shame Blackmarket Records has shut down. The internet has killed vinyl stores.

Discogs.com is a great website for vinyl lovers but it has taken the fun out of crate digging and finding that gem, as you can just log on and find what your looking for.

Love my records. I have a ton of very obscure early 90's white label pressings.

Even had a few of my own tracks pressed onto vinyl.

http://www.discogs.com/Worldwide-Epidemic-Worldwide-Epidemic-EP/master/391155

Like Ted said. There really is nothing like owning a physical copy of music. Everyone now a days expects music for free.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 01:53 - Feb 28 with 6927 viewsqueensparker

Got plenty of vinyl stacked away over the years, but the period I was really obsessive about music, from about 87-95, means a lot of my favourite mixes/stuff off the radio/nicked copies are all on tape. TAPE.

Now that was a format that didn't really last. I've just got a new (old, sh*t, cheap) motor with a tape player in it, and I'm looking forward to digging out all those old classic tapes. But whether they all still work is another matter...
Login to get fewer ads

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 02:23 - Feb 28 with 6923 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Shame.
Not my music but I've been in the old drum n' bass room downstairs in the 90's twice (to slow for me)

Another small record place gone like Select 'a' disk.

Does anyone remember le Scandal in Berwick street? I used to work for a DJ who played there.

Shit club, good times.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 07:36 - Feb 28 with 6889 viewsLblock

That is tragic news but with the plans they have for that area it's not a surprise
Berwick St was once a brilliant place but slowly market stalls have dissapeared, leases on shop units withheld and pubs and cafes gastro-ised
Cross rail = progress apparently? The destruction of a third of Dean St and some beautiful old buildings is mass vandalism if you ask me (and I make my money in construction)

Hope Nicky Blackmarket comes back stronger from this as stated

Buying vinyl is just a total experience.
From roughing up your cuticles flicking through the racks, to sticking in on the bag, being mega careful on the journey home, opening the shrink wrapping on your jeans and pouring that beautiful fresh smelling slab out of the sleeve With the consideration you'd give to a new born baby; then lifting the stylus on and hearing that thud, crackle and pure tones bursting through your Peavey speakers
Bliss

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 08:23 - Feb 28 with 6857 viewsDiscodroids

only made the odd visit to blackmarket, wasnt my genre of tune, spent most of my time in the original duffer of st george shop next door in the late eighties early nineties.

favourite record shops without shadow of a doubt were the mighty 'PLASTIC FANTASTIC ' in covent garden for all things house, prog and trance , 'TAG' records in soho for all things techno ,,,but without doubt the best shoping 'experiance' could also be had at the legendary 'CHOCIS CHEWNS ' st annes court soho..

a fuc kin travel agent now..

Back in 1998 the Great ginger one was in there malcolm mclaren , cun ted, this is a monday lunchtime were talking about here.

the' bell song' had just been released on ltd promo that day, eventually coming out on the excellent red parrot label

...i bought a copy and as any subservient cu nt would do, and he insisted on defacing it with his 'greatness'.

it reads....'to glenn , may the sun rise in your heart,and set in your soul' malcolm mclaren

needless to say both him and choci were razzed to fu ck and i felt a right brassneck in my lloyds of london brassneck pinstripe.

got a bit carried away with it all, and stenciled the choci chewns logo over my dinning room table and chairs and got a tattoo done.

looks great at 47 years of age.

would they care in the sugar hut?

the record and tape exchanges were good in greenwich ,camden and the west end as well..think there was one in portobello market , for all soul, funk, and indie stuff.
many a bargain to be had , if you could stand flicking through all the shit.and the mrs moaning like a kampuchea whore upon hulking phallus wanting to go shoe shopping while you were trying to find a rare roy aryes track that only came out in belgium on 9" vinyl.

On the net, as someone has mentioned, 'Discogs' is the bible for vinyl lovers .

also 'gemm' and 'Juno' are excellent.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 8:26]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 08:30 - Feb 28 with 6852 viewskingsburyR

Fu(kin shame that. I walked passed that shop every day for 15 years.

As for Chocci Chewns - Zammo from Grange Hill used to work in the key cutting shop next door.
FACT OF THE DAY!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 9:01]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 08:38 - Feb 28 with 6838 viewsDiscodroids

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 08:30 - Feb 28 by kingsburyR

Fu(kin shame that. I walked passed that shop every day for 15 years.

As for Chocci Chewns - Zammo from Grange Hill used to work in the key cutting shop next door.
FACT OF THE DAY!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 9:01]

he did indeed sir!.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 10:02 - Feb 28 with 6802 viewsBrixtonR

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 07:36 - Feb 28 by Lblock

That is tragic news but with the plans they have for that area it's not a surprise
Berwick St was once a brilliant place but slowly market stalls have dissapeared, leases on shop units withheld and pubs and cafes gastro-ised
Cross rail = progress apparently? The destruction of a third of Dean St and some beautiful old buildings is mass vandalism if you ask me (and I make my money in construction)

Hope Nicky Blackmarket comes back stronger from this as stated

Buying vinyl is just a total experience.
From roughing up your cuticles flicking through the racks, to sticking in on the bag, being mega careful on the journey home, opening the shrink wrapping on your jeans and pouring that beautiful fresh smelling slab out of the sleeve With the consideration you'd give to a new born baby; then lifting the stylus on and hearing that thud, crackle and pure tones bursting through your Peavey speakers
Bliss

Gutted to hear this,

Your not wrong about both Vinyl and spot on about Soho mate !
Was a great place to go both clothes shopping and record shopping. My mate always liked Eukutech and Choci's was my favourite but we'd pretty much go in all of them. Late 80's used to go to Swank, Head Over heals, the original Nik Nak, and just on the border John Anthony anyone remember them?

Disco mate similar to you I went in there many a time in my suit & tie (a fckn tie ffs), One time I was in there and Choci and Geezer were playing a record they'd just finished. Geezer done a proper double take as id spoken to him in clubs a few times where I'd normally look somewhat different ;-), The record was Solar Quest Acid Air Raid (remix) and like you I bought it.

In fact in homage to both Blackmarket records and Disco's tattoo I'm going to dig it out and stick it on the 1210
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 10:47 - Feb 28 with 6785 viewsnadera78

That's Dub Vendor f@cked as well then. Shame.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 14:41 - Feb 28 with 6702 viewsbacardiinbrissie

Such a shame as it was a great place
I'm currently paying a fortune for Vynil out here right now. An average albumb is $50-$100 a go. I paid $70 for an early U2 albumb. 12" singles are non existent
Working on getting my records sent ove from UK ATM.

Brought loads from blackmarket, vynilmania and Rayners lane.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 15:10 - Feb 28 with 6686 viewsLblock

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 14:41 - Feb 28 by bacardiinbrissie

Such a shame as it was a great place
I'm currently paying a fortune for Vynil out here right now. An average albumb is $50-$100 a go. I paid $70 for an early U2 albumb. 12" singles are non existent
Working on getting my records sent ove from UK ATM.

Brought loads from blackmarket, vynilmania and Rayners lane.

Vinylmainia.... now you're talking.

I still see Steve from there from time to time; not seen Norman in donkeys though.
What a place that was and a must stop at on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons when the R's weren't drawing me in.

I can never recall the name of the shop in Goldhawk Road I used. Was it Vinyl Lab or Vinyl Frontier? I used to pop in there after games all the time and pick up some hardcore nonsense. The one time I didnt was after a Spurs game but quite a few of the Y Army did looking for the little fella and they smashed the granny out of the gaff. I still see Tony T down the Rangers now and then.

Loving the nostalgia threads on here at the moment!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 15:28 - Feb 28 with 6677 viewspeejaybee

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 10:02 - Feb 28 by BrixtonR

Gutted to hear this,

Your not wrong about both Vinyl and spot on about Soho mate !
Was a great place to go both clothes shopping and record shopping. My mate always liked Eukutech and Choci's was my favourite but we'd pretty much go in all of them. Late 80's used to go to Swank, Head Over heals, the original Nik Nak, and just on the border John Anthony anyone remember them?

Disco mate similar to you I went in there many a time in my suit & tie (a fckn tie ffs), One time I was in there and Choci and Geezer were playing a record they'd just finished. Geezer done a proper double take as id spoken to him in clubs a few times where I'd normally look somewhat different ;-), The record was Solar Quest Acid Air Raid (remix) and like you I bought it.

In fact in homage to both Blackmarket records and Disco's tattoo I'm going to dig it out and stick it on the 1210

Can anyone remember " Sam Arkus" the tailors.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 15:37 - Feb 28 with 6669 viewsW12SG2

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 08:38 - Feb 28 by Discodroids

he did indeed sir!.

Remember the Court Cafe opposite Chocis Chewns - 'so cheap we can't afford to be cheerful'. Proper old school Soho italian place. Turned into some ponced up bar years ago and probably gonna be demolished for cross rail.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 15:47 - Feb 28 with 6661 viewsFDC

Went in to Black Market in 1999 as a wet-behind-the-ears newcomer to dance music and asked if they had some probably awful techno/trance 12". Whoever the guy at the counter was was a right prick and put me off record shops for a bit. I went to HMV instead.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 19:52 - Feb 28 with 6592 viewsBrixtonR

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 15:10 - Feb 28 by Lblock

Vinylmainia.... now you're talking.

I still see Steve from there from time to time; not seen Norman in donkeys though.
What a place that was and a must stop at on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons when the R's weren't drawing me in.

I can never recall the name of the shop in Goldhawk Road I used. Was it Vinyl Lab or Vinyl Frontier? I used to pop in there after games all the time and pick up some hardcore nonsense. The one time I didnt was after a Spurs game but quite a few of the Y Army did looking for the little fella and they smashed the granny out of the gaff. I still see Tony T down the Rangers now and then.

Loving the nostalgia threads on here at the moment!

Ha Ha, loved that shop on Goldhawk Road I remember jumping in there to buy Rock to Beat (Lisa M version) - yeah don't ask - whilst Rangers were having a rather stern discussion with Palace* after the first home game of the season 89-90 (We won 2-0 the Scottish geezer Wright ? scored for us on his debut)

They really were the days of L Block ;-)

Was the spurs game you mention this one ? If the chap on the barrier is who I think it is he's an absolute diamond one of the best people I know at Rangers. I fcking despised Spurs in those days.............that is how a goal should be celebrated !!!! I'm in this, was wearing a wicked green long sleeve Versace Sweatshirt with a gold Versace badge embroidered on the back - back in the day when Versace had a modicum of tastefulness What's scary is how the fck I remember what I was wearing in May 1989 and not what I had for breakfast yesterday ... .......Oh dear

Sorry for digressing its the nostalgia LOL

* Probably discussing the civil liberties implications of the Introduction of electronic tagging to monitor and supervise crime suspects
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 19:56 - Feb 28 with 6586 viewskensalriser

Statement from BM's facebook. Looks like they're planning to be back as soon as they can sort a location. Money is ripping the heart and soul out of London...

"Unfortunately due to contractual dispute over the building that has been home of BM Soho for the past 25 years we have been forced to temporarily close. Our landlord has been certain that our address, will join the massive gentrification of Soho and regrettably we could no longer afford to fight the legal battle to stop that happening anymore. Unlike many businesses that have closed recently, BM Soho BeatControl was performing well, so it is a massive shame to end this way. Fear not though we plan to be back bigger and stronger than ever very soon in central London. Until then we remain open for equipment in Edgware North London and online at bm-soho.com. Thanks to all our loyal customers and friends, cheers for all the support over the years. We will keep you updated here as soon as we have news!"

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 20:06 - Feb 28 with 6578 viewsBlackCrowe

My old (-ish school) soho - was indeed Blackmarket Records, Blue Posts pub, Zilli's and Gino's Barbers. Two of them now gone. Still get my hair cut in Gino's though every month....proper old skool.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Blackmarket Records has shut down on 20:42 - Feb 28 with 6553 viewslongbottom

Very sad to hear this. Anyone on here ever shop in Daddy Kool's (Dean Street) or Contempo (Hanway Street)? Mind, you have to be getting on a bit.
Blackmarket Records has shut down on 22:21 - Feb 28 with 6507 viewsPommyhoop

Ah vinyl.Thems were the days.
Did anyone do what I did and leave a couple of 12 inch's on the dash in the Summer?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024