Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT Joy Division BBC4 22:28 - Feb 27 with 8384 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Anyone see this tonight. Great stuff.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:31 - Feb 27 with 6902 viewsRs_Holy

Gotta love BBC4.... they do make some brilliant music documentaries
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 11:37]
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:34 - Feb 27 with 6893 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:31 - Feb 27 by Rs_Holy

It does. Some really interesting stuff. JD were one of my favourite bands though so this is particularly good.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:55 - Feb 27 with 6870 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Yep just finished watching it slightly delayed on playback. Always forget just how much I used to like the early Joy Division stuff. I mean, I still really like it, I just never listen to it anymore!

Whilst that documentary featured some of the most Manc accents ever committed to tape ("it were dead arrrrrrrrteh!") the line that stood out the most for me in the whole thing was actually Johnny Rotten at the near mythical Sex Pistols Free Trade Hall gig in 1975:

"Where do you all come from?"
"Manchester!"
"F@ck that..."

👍
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 23:29 - Feb 27 with 6844 viewsizlingtonhoop

so good
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 23:32 - Feb 27 with 6840 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Some cracking tunes in this Synth Britannia programme that's on at the moment as well...
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 23:50 - Feb 27 with 6819 viewsnorthampton_hoop

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 23:32 - Feb 27 by PlumsteadQPR

Some cracking tunes in this Synth Britannia programme that's on at the moment as well...

Ditto guitar heros on now.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 00:04 - Feb 28 with 6811 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:55 - Feb 27 by PlumsteadQPR

Yep just finished watching it slightly delayed on playback. Always forget just how much I used to like the early Joy Division stuff. I mean, I still really like it, I just never listen to it anymore!

Whilst that documentary featured some of the most Manc accents ever committed to tape ("it were dead arrrrrrrrteh!") the line that stood out the most for me in the whole thing was actually Johnny Rotten at the near mythical Sex Pistols Free Trade Hall gig in 1975:

"Where do you all come from?"
"Manchester!"
"F@ck that..."

👍

I still listen to it sometimes. Those two albums have and always will be in my all time top ten. Brilliant, brilliant music.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 01:42 - Feb 28 with 6771 viewsSonofNorfolt

Musical taste eh?
Awful is me being polite.
I'm not picking a fight, and expecting justification of why they are good.
In fact please have a vote amongst yourselves about which song of theirs I should include on the next coach playlist. ( I'll probably turn it down though)
Login to get fewer ads

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 04:22 - Feb 28 with 6752 viewssmegma

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 01:42 - Feb 28 by SonofNorfolt

Musical taste eh?
In fact please have a vote amongst yourselves about which song of theirs I should include on the next coach playlist. ( I'll probably turn it down though)

Transmission.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 08:20 - Feb 28 with 6710 viewsRamseyR

Musical taste eh?

She's Lost Control
Dead Souls
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 08:37 - Feb 28 with 6692 viewsDiscodroids

bbc 4 has being doing some great stuff for years on a friday night.

dont care if its 'joy division', 'Fleetwood mac' or 'johns children', love all the stories and find it all facsinating.

i remember seeing kit lambert on a 'WHO 'night many years ago ...telling a story of how he had 2 bowls of pharmecuticals on his desk at work one for uppers one for downers and how would take the pills according to who was on the other end of the phone, usually doing both , before going off to the scotch of st james with the yardbirds for an orgy of some description.

beats 'celebrity big brother' and 'escape to the fkn country'

and 'atmosphere' by joy division , imo, is beautiful.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 08:44 - Feb 28 with 6693 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Saw it was on last night, but had visitors, so will have to catch up on it later.

Loved JD though. Thought that they'd turned themselves into good musicians and that Curtis's songwriting might take them into very interesting places. Then came news of his death. Still remember hearing it in school and being shellshocked.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 09:01 - Feb 28 with 6680 viewsMrSheen

I was crazy about them as a 16-year-old, but I find them impossible to listen to now. In a way, I wish I'd never heard of them, because they encouraged my teenage tendency to be gloomy and introverted (and shabby!). If I'd been able to admit that I really liked Earth, Wind & Fire and other more cheerful stuff I might have been happier, and got more girls.

Dead Souls is far and away their best, by the way, New Dawn Fades in second. Tells you everything you need to know about them.

By the way, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when Richard Kirk of Cabaret Voltaire claimed on Synth Britannia that his music had inspired the 1981 riots. And I was a fan.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 9:05]
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 09:06 - Mar 1 with 6526 viewssmegma

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 09:01 - Feb 28 by MrSheen

I was crazy about them as a 16-year-old, but I find them impossible to listen to now. In a way, I wish I'd never heard of them, because they encouraged my teenage tendency to be gloomy and introverted (and shabby!). If I'd been able to admit that I really liked Earth, Wind & Fire and other more cheerful stuff I might have been happier, and got more girls.

Dead Souls is far and away their best, by the way, New Dawn Fades in second. Tells you everything you need to know about them.

By the way, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when Richard Kirk of Cabaret Voltaire claimed on Synth Britannia that his music had inspired the 1981 riots. And I was a fan.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 9:05]

Richard Kirk has always talked b0ll0cks and I was also a huge fan until they went all disco jumping on a bandwagon. I used to laugh when he said " I've been making this music for about 10 years" . In 1976. Yeah of course you were Richard. So before the Velvets you were influenced by the Velvets !!
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 10:04 - Mar 1 with 6497 viewsMonahoop

Interesting programme on a band I wasn't that fond of at first, but steadily grew on me and I think I appreciate them more now than I did back then. Never liked the reincarnated New Order.

As Disco said, BBC 4 has churned out some great music documentaries. I find myself watching programmes on bands and genres I wouldn't normally bat an eyelid or ear lobe to ie country music [American] or documentaries on the likes of Bert Bacharach and find I quite enjoy them. Think I'll draw the line on Boy George next week though.

On a side note, anyone watching Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the South programme on BBC2 on Saturday evenings? Good stuff.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 12:13 - Mar 1 with 6445 viewsFDC

Only discovered them at uni, long after the event. Was really into them for a bit. This tune still kills me

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 12:30 - Mar 1 with 6438 viewsFDC

And for the coach this should get everyone in the mood

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 16:43 - Mar 1 with 6362 viewsqprxtc

Joy Division: overrated, dreary, depressing, grey Mancunian bo!!ocks.

Paul Yongs version of Love Will Tear Us Apart is a cracker though.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 19:50 - Mar 1 with 6303 viewsqueensparker

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 22:31 - Feb 27 by Rs_Holy

The BBC's head of music TV Mark Cooper is a big Rangers fan btw, season ticket holder in the Ellerslie and a top bloke
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:08 - Mar 1 with 6293 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Musical taste eh?

As you are so open-minded about it, I will pass on the opportunity thanks.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:11 - Mar 1 with 6285 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 16:43 - Mar 1 by qprxtc

Presumably tongue in cheek.
Music is all about taste so I tend to avoid slagging other peoples tastes off.
Paul Young though! Jeez.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:21 - Mar 1 with 6271 viewsOutWestR

Croydon, on an unrelated note, how did you get on with Syro?

I wasn't too keen the first couple of listens, but played it again last night and really liked it. Nothing revolutionary on it, but really well made I thought.
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:34 - Mar 1 with 6255 viewsPommyhoop

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 16:43 - Mar 1 by qprxtc

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:38 - Mar 1 with 6250 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:21 - Mar 1 by OutWestR

Croydon, on an unrelated note, how did you get on with Syro?

I wasn't too keen the first couple of listens, but played it again last night and really liked it. Nothing revolutionary on it, but really well made I thought.

Yes I like it mate.
Are you aware of what he has done on Soundcloud though?

This is him:-

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001
OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:43 - Mar 1 with 6243 viewsOutWestR

OT Joy Division BBC4 on 20:38 - Mar 1 by CroydonCaptJack

Yes I like it mate.
Are you aware of what he has done on Soundcloud though?

This is him:-

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001

No I wasn't, thanks for that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024