Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first trip to LR? 12:12 - Feb 28 with 6180 viewsTheBlob

Do you remember it?
Mine was in 1963(Walsall)we were back at home after a short spell at the White City.I'd followed the advice to "turn right past the hot dog stand" into Loftus Road,up past the Ford Zephyr with the flower arrangement in the back window and thence on into Ellerslie.Through the turnstile clutching a pristine programme,Into the gloom behind the stand,up the stairs...
WALLOP.Like being hit in the face by a Turner oil painting.Just stood there for a while taking it all in,the colours,the sounds of pent up emotions,the smell of caramelising onions....I haven't been for a while,maybe the next time will be like the first time - a virgin all over again.
What was yours like?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Your first trip to LR? on 18:49 - Feb 28 with 1621 viewsBucksRanger

After my previous post about seeing QPR v Bournemouth in 1959, I thought I'd look up the rest of their fixtures that season to see if I could recall any others.

I'm not sure I could (perhaps the Shrewsbury game for some reason) but what caught my eye was the number of times QPR played in March and April - 13 in total. There's even an impressive 3 games in 4 days during April .. and modern footballers think they've got it tough.

March 1960
Sat 5 Halifax Town 3-1 Queens Park Rangers
Mon 7 Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Reading
Sat 12 Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Bury
Sat 19 Port Vale 0-0 Queens Park Rangers
Sat 26 Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Southampton
Mon 28 Queens Park Rangers 3-3 Chesterfield

April 1960
Sat 2 Reading 2-0 Queens Park Rangers
Sat 9 Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Shrewsbury Town
Fri 15 Queens Park Rangers 5-0 Bradford City
Sat 16 Brentford 1-1 Queens Park Rangers
Mon 18 Bradford City 3-1 Queens Park Rangers
Sat 23 Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Norwich City
Sat 30 Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Barnsley

May 1960
Wed 4 Wrexham 1-1 Queens Park Rangers
Your first trip to LR? on 18:52 - Feb 28 with 1617 viewskomradkirk

2-2 Luton Town 1980
Your first trip to LR? on 20:18 - Feb 28 with 1559 viewsterryb

I was reasonably old at the age of fifteen when I made my first visit to The Loft.

First home game of the 67-68 season against the Yellow Budgies & I believe we finished that game top of Division Two. We won 2-0 with goals (I think) from Ian Morgan & Mike Keen.
Your first trip to LR? on 20:36 - Feb 28 with 1542 viewshamptonhillhoop

14 January 1978 was mine (just looked up the date) Beat Norwich 2 - 1. I was seven. Don't remember anything about the match to be honest. My dad sat in south
Africa road and just buzzed me over the turnstile. I then had to find a seat. He also used to leave me on the step outside the springbok while he went to the bar upstairs which was adults only. Ah the 70's, a golden age of parenting. I still go with him now
Your first trip to LR? on 21:25 - Feb 28 with 1509 viewsWareRanger

Against Wolves, New Years Eve 1977. Lost 3-1 and I see that the next game's programme describes Rangers' performance that day as rubbish. Needless to say though, I was hooked. Can still remember Don Shanks scoring our goal. Sat in the lower tier in South Africa Road with my Dad and we still sit together in the upper tier in the Loft
Your first trip to LR? on 21:43 - Feb 28 with 1489 viewsqprwpg

April 2004 vs Stockport. But I didn't get into the ground on account of my huge backpack that I couldn't find a place to store at and the bus from Bristol arrived late, so only got there at HT. So technically it was Coventry in Sept later that year. I'm a newbie/JCL compared to most on here.

Twitter: @qprwpg

Your first trip to LR? on 21:55 - Feb 28 with 1486 viewsqueensparker

First one I can remember clearly was beating West Ham 3-0 in 1980, old second division, I was six. West Ham had a good team then Brooking, Bonds, Lampard etc. A very spicy atmosphere and I heard a lot of new words for the first time. For my sins I'd decided I wanted to support West Ham so turned up in a Hammers top. That was soon beaten out of me.

But I know my Dad was bringing me down before that, have a vague memory of a 0-0 with Watford and a few more before that.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 22:05]
Your first trip to LR? on 22:37 - Feb 28 with 1459 viewseccles

Cant remember when or who against. I was about 10 or eleven. It was the days of Stanley, Gerry and Phil in goal.

Can remember the feeling when I first glimpsed the pitch.
I remember the goals (that had a unique style of back support making the net hang down straight at the back, not angled like every other team)
I remember the crowds, the noise was like nothing I'd ever heard.
I remember walking down the concrete steps of the loft towards the pitch trying to find a place where I might actually see bits of the game. Standing so close to the pitch that I could actually hear the players swearing!
I remember the feeling of being with my family of thousands of like-minded souls.
I was home.
I remember the feeling of anticipation. That tingle down the spine that I still feel today as I get the first glimpse of the pitch. Forty years later it still gets me every time.

I know we may have to leave, I understand the finances. I know you should look forward, not back. I just don't want to go.
Login to get fewer ads

Your first trip to LR? on 22:49 - Feb 28 with 1452 viewsPommyhoop

Your first trip to LR? on 22:37 - Feb 28 by eccles

Cant remember when or who against. I was about 10 or eleven. It was the days of Stanley, Gerry and Phil in goal.

Can remember the feeling when I first glimpsed the pitch.
I remember the goals (that had a unique style of back support making the net hang down straight at the back, not angled like every other team)
I remember the crowds, the noise was like nothing I'd ever heard.
I remember walking down the concrete steps of the loft towards the pitch trying to find a place where I might actually see bits of the game. Standing so close to the pitch that I could actually hear the players swearing!
I remember the feeling of being with my family of thousands of like-minded souls.
I was home.
I remember the feeling of anticipation. That tingle down the spine that I still feel today as I get the first glimpse of the pitch. Forty years later it still gets me every time.

I know we may have to leave, I understand the finances. I know you should look forward, not back. I just don't want to go.

That pitch when your line of vision comes above the steps.Unreal..
Even better on a night match. Dirty grey,cold London then BANG, a glistening green oasis..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Your first trip to LR? on 23:09 - Feb 28 with 1435 viewsPunteR

86/87 ,Liverpool. My dad, who doesn't really like footie, took me but went to the wrong end of the stadium ,so i watched the game with my QPR hat n scarf with the scousers,who actually were a good laugh,made sure I could see the game(I was about 9 or 10) and chatted to my dad who obviously wasn't a QPR fan.
After a few beers my dad probably started talking about the Beatles or something.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Your first trip to LR? on 07:50 - Mar 1 with 1391 viewsqprmeath

I'm young compared to most of ye surprisingly. Mine was a 1-1 with Man City 1991, Mike Sheron scored for them, whatever happened to him?
Your first trip to LR? on 07:55 - Mar 1 with 1389 viewsjoolsyp

Not sure what year it was (would love to find out) but it was against Leyton Orient and we lost 2-1 (I think). I was 8. I remember Mick Leach scoring with his trademark celebration and then I remember crying when we lost. Hooked from then on in really ...
Your first trip to LR? on 08:38 - Mar 1 with 1377 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Your first trip to LR? on 07:55 - Mar 1 by joolsyp

Not sure what year it was (would love to find out) but it was against Leyton Orient and we lost 2-1 (I think). I was 8. I remember Mick Leach scoring with his trademark celebration and then I remember crying when we lost. Hooked from then on in really ...

There are a couple 2-1 scores on the list but unlikely to be the game you were at as Leach wouldn't have been playing in either.

My first game was also against Leyton Orient. Oct 1966, we won 4-1. Dad took me as I wasn't old enough to go on a Cub Scout outing with my brother. We sat in the old rusty Ellerslie very close to where I now sit in X Block.

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/head_to_head/queens_park_rangers/vs/leyton_orient/i
Your first trip to LR? on 09:21 - Mar 1 with 1359 viewsstowmarketrange

Your first trip to LR? on 07:55 - Mar 1 by joolsyp

If you were 8 years old,would it be easier to count 8 years from the year you were born and that might tell you what year it was?
Your first trip to LR? on 10:54 - Mar 1 with 1328 viewseccles

Your first trip to LR? on 22:49 - Feb 28 by Pommyhoop

That pitch when your line of vision comes above the steps.Unreal..
Even better on a night match. Dirty grey,cold London then BANG, a glistening green oasis..

that's it exactly. glad i'm not the only one
Your first trip to LR? on 11:26 - Mar 1 with 1214 viewsizlingtonhoop

Your first trip to LR? on 10:54 - Mar 1 by eccles

that's it exactly. glad i'm not the only one

28 th March 1970, six years old. v Bristol City. In my memory we won, looking it up it was 2-2.
Smells of roll-ups and onions, mmmm!
Your first trip to LR? on 11:42 - Mar 1 with 1204 viewsWatfordR

16 September 1972. Home against Forest. Won 3-0 with Stanley making his home debut. I was awestruck. Met him a few times in person and have turned into a starstruck child each time.

Never really had a chance did I.
Your first trip to LR? on 12:44 - Mar 1 with 1184 viewspaulparker

Your first trip to LR? on 15:24 - Feb 28 by Lblock

QPR v Liverpool 85/86 (?) we won 2-1 I think -- sure Leroy Rosenoir scored but dont really remember much apart from being in the paddock and all manner of trouble.
Went with my mates from school and we were tanked up (2 pints each!!) and I just could not believe the atmosphere.... up until then I'd only been to Griffin Park!

Not a lot's changed in 30 odd years - still get tanked up with the same mates but different part of the ground, great atmosphere few and far between and we dont win as many games but i still wouldn't swap it for the world

Was at that game LBlock , the same season we done em in the milk cup
Dogleish really hated us and our plastic pitch
Anyway 1st game for me was 85 vs Watford went with my dad and grandad upper loft
We won 2-0 I think fenwick scored one of them
After that I was hooked and went and got a season ticket the 86 season
Loved going with my dad & grandad and a swift shandy in the Greenford legion after
Started going with my mates in 89 , Its only the last few years I feel gutted I stopped going with my dad & grandad as Essex said I would give anything to have one more match with them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Your first trip to LR? on 13:07 - Mar 1 with 1172 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I was a babe. Couldn't even walk when my Dad brought me first. 4-0 at home to Bolton, in the 71-72 season apparently. Rodney scored two.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your first trip to LR? on 13:09 - Mar 1 with 1172 viewsQPR1882

Been to most of the games mentioned on here after my 1st trip. I can hardly remember the wife's birthday or our anniversary but just the mention of a date,team and score line of a game 30/40 years ago and I can recall the game as if it was yesterday.
Your first trip to LR? on 13:43 - Mar 1 with 1162 viewsTheBlob

Your first trip to LR? on 13:09 - Mar 1 by QPR1882

Been to most of the games mentioned on here after my 1st trip. I can hardly remember the wife's birthday or our anniversary but just the mention of a date,team and score line of a game 30/40 years ago and I can recall the game as if it was yesterday.

God I wish I had a memory like that.I can't recall any of the details of that Walsall game _ I think maybe Brian Bedford and Stuart Leary were playing.I looked up the result and it was 4-1,but that's it.I was probably overwhelmed at the spectacle of all those people and the noise they made.Unbelieveable,and I've liked my entertainment LOUD ever since.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2015 13:44]

Your first trip to LR? on 13:50 - Mar 1 with 1156 viewsDWQPR

Mine was the last home game of the 1971-72 season at home to Carlisle United. Sat in the upper tier of the SAR and remember Dad just pushing me through the turnstiles with him whilst he paid for his ticket. From the upper tier everything seemed so big, the pitch, the terraces and the old Ellerslie Road stand which was to be knocked down that summer. Rangers won 3-0 and playing for Carlisle that afternoon in their number 10 shirt was God himself.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Your first trip to LR? on 13:57 - Mar 1 with 1148 viewsQPR1882

Your first trip to LR? on 13:43 - Mar 1 by TheBlob

God I wish I had a memory like that.I can't recall any of the details of that Walsall game _ I think maybe Brian Bedford and Stuart Leary were playing.I looked up the result and it was 4-1,but that's it.I was probably overwhelmed at the spectacle of all those people and the noise they made.Unbelieveable,and I've liked my entertainment LOUD ever since.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2015 13:44]

It's silly things, like for some reason it always seemed they played Band of Gold by Rita Payne. Every time I hear that song I recall the boys enclosure on a Saturday at 3 o'clock in the 70's. Or monkey nuts and I'm ducking from a bag of them flying across the loft. I guess whe something is a big part of your life for so long memories stay longer.

Still recall the 1st time I walked up the stairs at that Wall game and saw the pitch,it's like a photo burnt in side.
Your first trip to LR? on 14:15 - Mar 1 with 1134 viewsTheBlob

Your first trip to LR? on 13:57 - Mar 1 by QPR1882

It's silly things, like for some reason it always seemed they played Band of Gold by Rita Payne. Every time I hear that song I recall the boys enclosure on a Saturday at 3 o'clock in the 70's. Or monkey nuts and I'm ducking from a bag of them flying across the loft. I guess whe something is a big part of your life for so long memories stay longer.

Still recall the 1st time I walked up the stairs at that Wall game and saw the pitch,it's like a photo burnt in side.

There does seem to be a commonality of experience - up the steps to that window on the world,like a curtain going up at the theatre,and then to find you're almost a part of the entertainment.Standing on the SAR terracing didn't quite have the same impact initially,but it was better than the White City where you had the athletics and dog tracks to contend with - just too big.

Your first trip to LR? on 14:47 - Mar 1 with 1120 viewsHordleHoop

1980 v Birmingham. 1-1. Injury time equaliser by Steve Burke.
Late goals always exciting, my Grandad was going mental!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024