Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first trip to LR? 12:12 - Feb 28 with 6136 viewsTheBlob

Do you remember it?
Mine was in 1963(Walsall)we were back at home after a short spell at the White City.I'd followed the advice to "turn right past the hot dog stand" into Loftus Road,up past the Ford Zephyr with the flower arrangement in the back window and thence on into Ellerslie.Through the turnstile clutching a pristine programme,Into the gloom behind the stand,up the stairs...
WALLOP.Like being hit in the face by a Turner oil painting.Just stood there for a while taking it all in,the colours,the sounds of pent up emotions,the smell of caramelising onions....I haven't been for a while,maybe the next time will be like the first time - a virgin all over again.
What was yours like?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Your first trip to LR? on 12:37 - Feb 28 with 3323 viewsAndyB

Boxing Day 1977 home to Derby. I was 8.
Crap 0-0 - and they had two players sent off. Couldn't beat 9 men even with Stanley playing.
Remember the smell of mud - not surprising sat at front of Ellerslie, pitch was basically mud with the odd patch of grass in those days.
Also remember being amused at the swearing from the gnarled old blokes around us. Knew about swearing but had no idea anyone actually used those words in day to day life. I think I grew up a little that day.
I think some of those blokes still go - probably aged about 110-120 now.
Your first trip to LR? on 12:41 - Feb 28 with 3313 viewsDylanP

1973 QPR v Spurs. My Dad sort-of supported Spurs. Stanley, Gerry and the boys were so divine that day. QPR won 3-1 (I think) and I was hooked (some might say poisoned). 40 years later and I am yet to see QPR achieve any major success, but I still live in hope (as does my son, now)

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Your first trip to LR? on 12:57 - Feb 28 with 3289 viewsted_hendrix

1958, older brother took me we were in the loft stood in the corner by what any old timers will recall as the tea hut.
I believe we were playing the Orient and the most lasting memory was believe it or not a punch up broke out near the bloody tea hut during the second half and we had to scarper a bit quick to the corner flag on the South Africa road side.
I've got a few Black and White prints of our beloved ground that I treasure dating back to 1947-1948, 1949-1950 and a picture of Loftus Road c1927.
I seem to recall the Loft being a mish mash of concrete and mud.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Your first trip to LR? on 12:57 - Feb 28 with 3285 viewsPommyhoop

1973. QPR 3 Stoke 3 .I was 8 .
Can't remember a thing (damn you ,strong lager and recreational drugs) but apparently El Tel scored a penalty..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Your first trip to LR? on 13:31 - Feb 28 with 3242 viewsdanehoop

1984 1-1 draw with wet spam. I was in the away end with some spammer mates and a chelshitfan. I felt Unclean.

Never knowingly understood

Your first trip to LR? on 14:03 - Feb 28 with 3214 viewsstowmarketrange

September or October 1970.I can't remember the opposition.I seem to recall either Portsmouth or Fulham.My mums mate had a season ticket in The South Africa stand and I was left on my own in the paddock.I remember the programme was 7d or 10d with the football league review in it.1/3d for kids to get in and 2/6 for adults.
Frank Saul was playing and also Rodney.
I moved to by the tea bar in the loft when I started going on my own.There were a few fights in the loftt during the 70'a when various London teams took over the Loft several times.Especially bad was the 6-1 West Ham game.I think we ended up by corner flag after the 6th goal went in.

I just looked it up and the 24th Oct we beat Portsmouth 2-0 and although Rodney was playing,Frank Saul wasn't.I only wish I hadn't spent my programme money on fruit salads and black jacks.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2015 15:31]
Your first trip to LR? on 14:43 - Feb 28 with 3179 viewsessextaxiboy

1968 V Burnley

I remember walking up to the Loft and hearing "Rodney Rodney" it seemed deafening to me aged 8 . i found a 10 bob note soaked in pee on the floor of the bogs behind the Loft , I dont think the bogs had a roof in those days .
My Dad picked it up in a crisp packet .
There was the boys enclosure then , my Dad and his brothers used to stand just the other side .
For some games we used to get there an hour before kick off , buy a Golden Goal ticket and wait for kick off . My Dad used to rub my feet to keep me warm . Hot Dog from the little cart on the way home .

I was hooked .

Dad died in 1990 . I would give anything for a day at the Rangers with him again .
Your first trip to LR? on 14:47 - Feb 28 with 3174 viewsHantsR

Had become a fan in 1966/7 then in Sept 1967 saw the 1-0 defeat at Palarse (t'was just down the road from me at the time). I was truly hooked and so went to LR in Oct 1967 and enjoyed a fantastic, pulsating atmosphere in a 3-1 win over Millwall.

Went again in November and got drenched watching a 1-0 win v Middlesborough, me and my mate picked up a couple of girsl from Acton whom we lovingly protected from the rain.

The rest is hysteria.
Login to get fewer ads

Your first trip to LR? on 15:09 - Feb 28 with 3154 viewsBucksRanger

It was early in 1959/60 season when I was first taken to Loftus Road. My father and his brothers had already taken me to see Brentford and Fulham but they didn't quite click with me.

Anyway, Alec Stock had just become QPR manager and had signed Brian Bedford from Bournemouth as one of, if not his first, signings.

Went to see QPR play Bournemouth and the R's won 3-0 with Bedford scoring against his old side.

The grass was green, the sun was shining and this strangely named team with strange hooped shirts were playing carefree attacking football. I was hooked from that day onwards.
Your first trip to LR? on 15:10 - Feb 28 with 3152 viewssixnil

31st March 1986!
Rangers 6 Scum 0. Sat in the Ellerslie with my mates and thought bloody hell this is good...
...been brought down to earth a few times since mind you!
It's a special place Loftus Road and I'm not bothered about moving. I sit in the family stand with my lad, not far from where I used to stand when in my teens. The atmosphere can be second to none and I always get a buzz when climbing those steps at the back of the loft.
Your first trip to LR? on 15:24 - Feb 28 with 3125 viewsLblock

QPR v Liverpool 85/86 (?) we won 2-1 I think -- sure Leroy Rosenoir scored but dont really remember much apart from being in the paddock and all manner of trouble.
Went with my mates from school and we were tanked up (2 pints each!!) and I just could not believe the atmosphere.... up until then I'd only been to Griffin Park!

Not a lot's changed in 30 odd years - still get tanked up with the same mates but different part of the ground, great atmosphere few and far between and we dont win as many games but i still wouldn't swap it for the world

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Your first trip to LR? on 15:34 - Feb 28 with 3118 viewsQPR1882

21st October 1967

QPR 3 Millwall 1

Your first trip to LR? on 15:55 - Feb 28 with 3088 viewsBrixtonR

Yeah I was actually quite old even though I started supporting them around Oct 74 it was QPR v Newcastle last game of the season 79-80. We won 2-1 Chris Woods was in goal and I was in the SA road just near the loft. The only time I ever went when the loft had it's old roof, I started going every home game from around Dec 80 but we were in the School end then.
Funnily enough my first ever Rangers game was the week before the Newcastle game a 2-2 draw v Charlton at the Valley
Your first trip to LR? on 16:12 - Feb 28 with 3068 viewsHantsR

Your first trip to LR? on 15:34 - Feb 28 by QPR1882

21st October 1967

QPR 3 Millwall 1

I see we have something in common!
Your first trip to LR? on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 3064 viewsOakR

QPR 5 Newcaslte 5 - it's been downhill ever since!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Your first trip to LR? on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 3064 viewsstowmarketrange

Your first trip to LR? on 15:34 - Feb 28 by QPR1882

21st October 1967

QPR 3 Millwall 1

I see the ko time was 3.15.There were a few game that kicked off at hat time in those days wasn't there?Was it so that the last few fans could leave the pub at closing time and still make the game?
Your first trip to LR? on 16:21 - Feb 28 with 3045 viewsPommyhoop

Your first trip to LR? on 16:16 - Feb 28 by OakR

QPR 5 Newcaslte 5 - it's been downhill ever since!

My Old Man ,God rest him,never let me forget i missed out on that one.
Mates wedding..They only lasted a year and a half .C'nts.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Your first trip to LR? on 16:32 - Feb 28 with 3036 viewsstowmarketrange

Your first trip to LR? on 16:21 - Feb 28 by Pommyhoop

My Old Man ,God rest him,never let me forget i missed out on that one.
Mates wedding..They only lasted a year and a half .C'nts.

My brother decided to get married on 31st October 1979.
The game I missed was QPR 7 Burnley 0.
Lucky it was on motd that night.
I always knew he was marrying a wrongun.How anyone can get married during the football season is beyond me.Every single year you could miss a game because of your Anniversary.
Your first trip to LR? on 17:01 - Feb 28 with 3014 viewsQPR_Jim

I always thought it was a 1-3 loss to Palace in '92, I would have been six then. It's certainly my first memory of going to LR but according to my dad it wasn't my first visit. Can't remember what my actual first game was though, might have been Oldham.

I remember the feeling of disappointment at the palace game, not much else. I should have taken the hint that supporting QPR wasn't going to be easy but I'm glad I didn't.
Your first trip to LR? on 17:31 - Feb 28 with 2978 viewszicoshoops

17th September 1966, old 3rd Division.

QPR 6 (3 in each half) Doncaster Rovers 0.

Stood in the boys enclosure at the front of the Loft.
Fell in love..........Still in love.

Saw the finest player that I've ever seen wear our shirt that day..........Rodney.

We were one of only a few teams in the Football League that kicked off regularly at 3-15pm on a Saturday in those days. ...............Although I've no idea why.

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
Your first trip to LR? on 17:39 - Feb 28 with 2965 viewsMonahoop

11th Oct 1975. QPR 5 Everton 0. Francis bagged a brace. Fantastic team that season. Never bettered.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Your first trip to LR? on 18:16 - Feb 28 with 2930 viewsbrad

never forget,may 1977,qpr v ipswich town,don givens got the winner!1-0 theRs!!
Your first trip to LR? on 18:23 - Feb 28 with 2921 viewsmalcob

Mine was the 5 0 Everton game as well. Also at the West Ham 6 1 , remember loads of them in loft but most went home early, don't recall much trouble.

I'd rather be in P block

Your first trip to LR? on 18:26 - Feb 28 with 2915 viewsstowmarketrange

Your first trip to LR? on 18:23 - Feb 28 by malcob

Mine was the 5 0 Everton game as well. Also at the West Ham 6 1 , remember loads of them in loft but most went home early, don't recall much trouble.

We started off in the middle behind the goal and we went further forward with each goal.We ended up by South Africa rd by full time.
Your first trip to LR? on 18:42 - Feb 28 with 2894 viewsPinnerR

Can't remember the game or result, but dad told me it was 1955-56 season and I was on his shoulders aged 5 (no elf 'n safety then).

QPR obviously went straight into my psyche, and that was it; hooked for life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024