Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tube Strike Saturday 09:52 - Mar 2 with 5317 viewsrichranger

The RMT have called a tube strike starting at 9.30pm on Saturday - because a driver was sacked for turning up for work drunk.

Now this is what I call taking the piss!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31691324
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:27 - Mar 2 with 1808 viewssmegma

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:23 - Mar 2 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Not sure that's a tongue in cheek question or a genuine one?

Of course you can wear glasses to drive a tube, exactly the same as any transport. But you have to carry a spare pair in case of loss or damage.

And it's 43 days leave for Train Operator but if you take off Bank Holidays as most others get but tube staff don't, somewhere around 34 (can't be arsed to count them), better than most jobs but not hugely over the top compared to other professions.

Im getting an extra day off this year for doing 25 years !!! So only 53 days off for me (boooo!)
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:35 - Mar 2 with 1798 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:27 - Mar 2 by smegma

Im getting an extra day off this year for doing 25 years !!! So only 53 days off for me (boooo!)

You and me both. Just to clarify to the board, station staff get 52 days leave +1 extra for over 25 years service. Before you all shoot me down, if you fancy some of it there is currently an advert for part time vacancies for night tube starting in September. Friday and Saturday nights, 15 hours, free travel for 2. Salary just short of 13k. Gotta start somewhere.

Look for Customer Service Assistant Night Tube. Page 3 on link below or indeed a full time position for same role on the same link and page.

https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/external/moresearch.ftl?lang=en
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 23:41]
Tube Strike Saturday on 00:04 - Mar 3 with 1780 viewsSnipper

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:18 - Mar 2 by smegma

No idea, first ive ever heard of that. There are two tube tube drivers who post on here and some other staff who may know.

I know that a few years ago you wasn't allowed to wear varivocal or bifocal lenses when driving a train. I don't think that's the case anymore.

As for the driver who failed a breath test, he wasn't blind drunk or even a little drunk when he booked on for duty that day. He had a breath test and the reading given was that he had 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath. That incidentally is the exact same limit for drink driving. He also gave a urine sample, which is normally tested for drugs, he passed that.
The upshot is that the man suffers from type 2 diabetes, which can give an incorrect reading with a handheld testing device. He asked for the urine test sample off LUL, so it could be tested privately to help clear him, but LUL had already destroyed the sample. LUL were in breach of their own procedures by destroying the sample. The RMT Union are defending this driver as LUL didn't follow their own procedures. There is an Employment Tribunal soon and the RMT has asked LUL to abide by the Employment Tribunal result. They have refused to do so.
My personal view is that the union should've waited for the ET result before deciding to ballot their driver members.
If you are pulled over and breathalysed by the police and are over the limit, you are given a second test back at the police station. If you are still over the limit, only then are you charged. The test this driver failed wouldn't stand up in a court of law. This driver has 29 years with LUL. Is it fair that he should lose his livelihood when LUL haven't followed their own procedures? If the company are that confident that the driver was over the limit, why won't they take the RMT's offer of abiding by the Emplyment Tribunal?

You can't believe everything you see or hear in the media.
Tube Strike Saturday on 00:22 - Mar 3 with 1773 viewsHollowayRanger

union just looking after one of its own

at londons expense

thought things would have got better by now

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Tube Strike Saturday on 00:23 - Mar 3 with 1773 viewssmegma

"You can't believe everything you see or hear in the media " by Snipper.

Or on here. I saw the Transport Commisioner Peter Hendy was forced by the RMT into an apology having said live on TV& Radio that the driver was drunk.
Tube Strike Saturday on 00:30 - Mar 3 with 1770 viewsSnipper

Tube Strike Saturday on 00:23 - Mar 3 by smegma

"You can't believe everything you see or hear in the media " by Snipper.

Or on here. I saw the Transport Commisioner Peter Hendy was forced by the RMT into an apology having said live on TV& Radio that the driver was drunk.

Peter Hendy is an arrogant tosspot who drinks alcohol on expenses. He did indeed say that the driver was drunk on duty. He wasn't. The embarrassing interview Steve Headly gave on LBC with Nick Ferrari didn't do us any favours, but NIck Ferrari's question was about the driver being drunk. He wasn't.
Tube Strike Saturday on 05:16 - Mar 3 with 1738 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:35 - Mar 2 by Sudbury_Hill_R

You and me both. Just to clarify to the board, station staff get 52 days leave +1 extra for over 25 years service. Before you all shoot me down, if you fancy some of it there is currently an advert for part time vacancies for night tube starting in September. Friday and Saturday nights, 15 hours, free travel for 2. Salary just short of 13k. Gotta start somewhere.

Look for Customer Service Assistant Night Tube. Page 3 on link below or indeed a full time position for same role on the same link and page.

https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/external/moresearch.ftl?lang=en
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 23:41]

Smegma / Subury.

Did a DMT report him or was it a random test?

On my way to my ET now.
Tube Strike Saturday on 10:28 - Mar 3 with 1669 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike Saturday on 05:16 - Mar 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Smegma / Subury.

Did a DMT report him or was it a random test?

On my way to my ET now.

Not sure on that one as I haven't delved into it and I'm not privy to the gossip or rumour as I work on a different line. I will ask the question this afternoon.
Login to get fewer ads

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:35 - Mar 3 with 1664 viewsSnipper

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:28 - Mar 3 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Not sure on that one as I haven't delved into it and I'm not privy to the gossip or rumour as I work on a different line. I will ask the question this afternoon.

It was a random visit to test a number of drivers. There are rumours that it was targeted and used the random bit as a ruse.
I'm not totally defending the bloke by the way, they haven't followed their own procedures. If I did something wrong while driving a train, they would throw the book at me while quoting procedures. Management always contravene procedures when it suits them.
Tube Strike Saturday on 15:32 - Mar 3 with 1596 viewsJuzzie

IMO for any proposal all abstainers should be classed as a 'NO' vote. This way, if you don't agree with any proposal put forward you actually don't have to vote. It's just the 'YES' people that need to vote.
Tube Strike Saturday on 15:54 - Mar 3 with 1569 viewsTearsofrage

In law, silence generally betokens consent. On that basis all abstainers would count as a positive vote. Not endorsing this view wholeheartedly , but it's pretty widely recognised. The issue here would seem to be far less clear than the media have relished reporting - but why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to bash the unions?
Tube Strike Saturday on 16:19 - Mar 3 with 1553 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tube Strike Saturday on 15:54 - Mar 3 by Tearsofrage

In law, silence generally betokens consent. On that basis all abstainers would count as a positive vote. Not endorsing this view wholeheartedly , but it's pretty widely recognised. The issue here would seem to be far less clear than the media have relished reporting - but why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to bash the unions?

I think one of the main issues I have with such strikes is that the unions often fail to state their case clearly to the public at large. Lots of their strikes people would support if only they were better at communicating. When they do 'strike' why are workers not at tube stations leafletting and explaining? Even if workers all agreed to do an hour each you could cover that. I understand in this case there are legal reasons that muddy the waters, but we only have one side of the story (plus 'the truth' from Snipper, which may or may not be the full truth - we can't know that) to go on. so what else are we supposed to do? It's also a bit of envy I think. I'm a contract worker with almost no rights. I can get treated like absolute sh!t and no one will walk out in support of me, but the industry I'm in can't inconvenience millions of people at the drop of a hat, either. With great power etc...

Bare bones.

Tube Strike Saturday on 08:35 - Mar 4 with 1486 viewssmegma

Tube Strike Saturday on 16:19 - Mar 3 by Antti_Heinola

I think one of the main issues I have with such strikes is that the unions often fail to state their case clearly to the public at large. Lots of their strikes people would support if only they were better at communicating. When they do 'strike' why are workers not at tube stations leafletting and explaining? Even if workers all agreed to do an hour each you could cover that. I understand in this case there are legal reasons that muddy the waters, but we only have one side of the story (plus 'the truth' from Snipper, which may or may not be the full truth - we can't know that) to go on. so what else are we supposed to do? It's also a bit of envy I think. I'm a contract worker with almost no rights. I can get treated like absolute sh!t and no one will walk out in support of me, but the industry I'm in can't inconvenience millions of people at the drop of a hat, either. With great power etc...

Totally agree about the lack of communication by the RMT. As snipper mentioned Stephen Hedleys rant live on LBC set the drivers case back somewhat. In fact I'd go as far to say that Hedley is an embarrassment to his members.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2015 8:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024