Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tube Strike Saturday 09:52 - Mar 2 with 5333 viewsrichranger

The RMT have called a tube strike starting at 9.30pm on Saturday - because a driver was sacked for turning up for work drunk.

Now this is what I call taking the piss!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31691324
Tube Strike Saturday on 10:04 - Mar 2 with 3551 viewsQPunkR

Bit of a fúcking joke, innit??

QPR - "shit but local"

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:05 - Mar 2 with 3545 viewstoboboly

From that article they really shouldn't be calling a strike over this issue. Luckily at least the game is over by then so people can get away without any issues.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:08 - Mar 2 with 3524 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'm always ready to listen to the RMT when they have genuine grievances, which sometimes they do. But not only does this seem ludicrous, but this:

LU said the number of drivers who had voted to take strike action represented 8% of all drivers.

is an utter nonsense. The law must be changed for strike action. I'm not saying they need 100% of drivers to vote, but there should be a minimum requirement of, say, 50%, and a two-thirds majority to carry it.

Bare bones.

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:14 - Mar 2 with 3508 viewssimmo

Piss take

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:23 - Mar 2 with 3482 viewsdanehoop

Anti,

irrespective of the apparent nonsense with this issue behind this strike action, I disagree whole heartedly with your notions of determining when and who can strike.

It has to be on the basis of the majority of those who vote. If people chose not to vote that is there perogative to do so - the key is ensuring that the process is in place around the vote so that all those eligiable can do so.

Never knowingly understood

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:27 - Mar 2 with 3466 viewsRs_Holy

apparently its a very stressful job!... That's why they get 50 + days holiday a year!
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 23:06]
Tube Strike Saturday on 10:56 - Mar 2 with 3425 viewsnadera78

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:08 - Mar 2 by Antti_Heinola

I'm always ready to listen to the RMT when they have genuine grievances, which sometimes they do. But not only does this seem ludicrous, but this:

LU said the number of drivers who had voted to take strike action represented 8% of all drivers.

is an utter nonsense. The law must be changed for strike action. I'm not saying they need 100% of drivers to vote, but there should be a minimum requirement of, say, 50%, and a two-thirds majority to carry it.

I'll go along with 50% voting for strike action if that also applies to MPs being elected, or salaries for directors of PLCs.
Tube Strike Saturday on 11:04 - Mar 2 with 3403 viewsJonDoeman

Shouldn't be allowed to strike, & hold the city to ransom. Whens them driverless trains coming?

It Is What It Is !!

Login to get fewer ads

Tube Strike Saturday on 12:19 - Mar 2 with 3305 viewsbigstevec

They constantly bleat on about passenger safety but walk out in support of a drunk driver!
Tube Strike Saturday on 12:37 - Mar 2 with 3258 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tube worker here.

There is more to this story than meets the eye so hold back on the abuse.

Also, most RMT drivers will be in work (if the strike goes ahead which I doubt) so there will be minimum disruption but some gaps between trains.

We'll be fine.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 12:37]
Tube Strike Saturday on 13:33 - Mar 2 with 3135 viewstoboboly

Tube Strike Saturday on 12:37 - Mar 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Tube worker here.

There is more to this story than meets the eye so hold back on the abuse.

Also, most RMT drivers will be in work (if the strike goes ahead which I doubt) so there will be minimum disruption but some gaps between trains.

We'll be fine.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 12:37]

Is there any background you can give to shed light on why this is occurring?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Tube Strike Saturday on 13:43 - Mar 2 with 3112 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tube Strike Saturday on 13:33 - Mar 2 by toboboly

Basically, driver failed a alcohol test. Rumours around the place was that he was probably pissed and his immediate manager who checks for these things before anyone sets foot near a train suspected alcohol on his breath and stood him down.

LU (rightly) has a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol at work and sacked him.

However, he is also diabetic and the test method used was susceptible to giving false readings to diabetics. The RMT (the smaller of the two unions drivers join) has claimed that there is no way of knowing for sure wether he was drunk or not. They are going to fight for him because that's their job.

To add fuel to the fire he was also a union activist so the RMT are claiming politics.

The general consensus from staff, including drivers is that strike action is too rash and they will most likely come in.
Tube Strike Saturday on 13:46 - Mar 2 with 3102 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike Saturday on 13:33 - Mar 2 by toboboly

Very basically the RMT are stating that the two failed alcohol tests were flawed as the Train Operator has diabetes. LUL works on a zero tolerance basis for alcohol breath tests. They also do a urine test for drugs, medication etc.

The RMT Assistant General Secretary does not cover himself in any glory in a recent interview on LBC Radio. Have a listen.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/rmt-boss-loses-the-plot-on-lbc-over-tube-strike-104734
Tube Strike Saturday on 14:01 - Mar 2 with 3069 viewssimmo

Tube Strike Saturday on 13:43 - Mar 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Basically, driver failed a alcohol test. Rumours around the place was that he was probably pissed and his immediate manager who checks for these things before anyone sets foot near a train suspected alcohol on his breath and stood him down.

LU (rightly) has a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol at work and sacked him.

However, he is also diabetic and the test method used was susceptible to giving false readings to diabetics. The RMT (the smaller of the two unions drivers join) has claimed that there is no way of knowing for sure wether he was drunk or not. They are going to fight for him because that's their job.

To add fuel to the fire he was also a union activist so the RMT are claiming politics.

The general consensus from staff, including drivers is that strike action is too rash and they will most likely come in.

'London Underground said the man was dismissed for failing two breath tests which were unaffected by the condition.

It said the case had gone through a full disciplinary hearing and appeals process, as well as a separate independent director's review.'

Regardless of the facts in this instance, the continued negative press and frivolous threats to strike are going to do individuals working on the trains no good when it comes to the plans of the mayor and whoever else to phase them out or reduce their numbers. Which seems a shame as I am fundementally in support of organisations that protect the rights of the individual, it just seems the unions are perceived to be as bad as the 'fat cat' corporation members they are supposed to be challenging.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 14:05]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Tube Strike Saturday on 14:08 - Mar 2 with 3043 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tube Strike Saturday on 14:01 - Mar 2 by simmo

'London Underground said the man was dismissed for failing two breath tests which were unaffected by the condition.

It said the case had gone through a full disciplinary hearing and appeals process, as well as a separate independent director's review.'

Regardless of the facts in this instance, the continued negative press and frivolous threats to strike are going to do individuals working on the trains no good when it comes to the plans of the mayor and whoever else to phase them out or reduce their numbers. Which seems a shame as I am fundementally in support of organisations that protect the rights of the individual, it just seems the unions are perceived to be as bad as the 'fat cat' corporation members they are supposed to be challenging.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 14:05]

It is the initial method which leads on to a urine test.

Not defending him or the RMT by the way. The strike was called by a narrow margin on a 42% return of ballots cast. If all the abstainers had put their vote it it would have been massively rejected.

Also there are three main unions in terms of the Underground. One of which has called strike action only once in 82 years.

[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 14:20]
Tube Strike Saturday on 19:49 - Mar 2 with 2857 viewsStanisgod

Tube Strike Saturday on 11:04 - Mar 2 by JonDoeman

Shouldn't be allowed to strike, & hold the city to ransom. Whens them driverless trains coming?

F@ck me, Maggies back from the dead!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Tube Strike Saturday on 19:57 - Mar 2 with 2835 viewsrichranger

Tube Strike Saturday on 13:43 - Mar 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

A friend of mine who works on the tube told me the guy could hardly stand up he was so drunk.

Pointless strike
Tube Strike Saturday on 20:13 - Mar 2 with 2809 viewsWilloW4

Tube Strike Saturday on 19:49 - Mar 2 by Stanisgod

F@ck me, Maggies back from the dead!

Feck me, he's was blind drunk (allegedly)... !! You wanna be on that pricks train?!
Tube Strike Saturday on 22:34 - Mar 2 with 2668 viewsStanisgod

Tube Strike Saturday on 20:13 - Mar 2 by WilloW4

Feck me, he's was blind drunk (allegedly)... !! You wanna be on that pricks train?!

Someone explain please, I'm assuming he's under

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Tube Strike Saturday on 22:53 - Mar 2 with 2645 viewssmegma

Tube Strike Saturday on 10:27 - Mar 2 by Rs_Holy

apparently its a very stressful job!... That's why they get 50 + days holiday a year!
[Post edited 2 Mar 2015 23:06]

Apply for a job then.
Tube Strike Saturday on 22:55 - Mar 2 with 2641 viewssmegma

Tube Strike Saturday on 19:57 - Mar 2 by richranger

A friend of mine who works on the tube told me the guy could hardly stand up he was so drunk.

Pointless strike

Where does your friend work and what job do they do ???
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:08 - Mar 2 with 2619 viewssmegma

As a tube worker and an RMT member I find this strike a bit odd. LU has a more or less zero tolerance on alcohol. The driver has admitted the night before he was due to work he had drunk four pints while watching a world cup football match on tv. He claims he had his last drink some 12 hours before his shift started. LU guidance on the subject says normally you shouldnt drink less than 8 hours before starting work.Thats not 100% certain but based on medical guidance. The driver claims his medical condition diabetes must have affected the alcohol readings. If I was diabetic and knew the condition could possibly affect my job future, i would not have drunk ANYTHING the night before an early shift. It appears that the driver is a union activist, i.e. is an active union member and is well known among the RMT hierarchy. THIS is the main reason I believe the union is backing him. If that was ME, i dont believe the RMT would have backed me as they dont know me and they would say 'its a fair cop'. If I was over the limit I would just have to take it on the chin as would thousands of other staff but because hes mates with those in the know, people are asked to strike on his behalf. And for that reason alone i believe the strike is wrong.
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:10 - Mar 2 with 2616 viewsRs_Holy

Tube Strike Saturday on 22:53 - Mar 2 by smegma

Apply for a job then.

Is it still the case that you can't be a train driver and wear glasses?
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:18 - Mar 2 with 2602 viewssmegma

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:10 - Mar 2 by Rs_Holy

No idea, first ive ever heard of that. There are two tube tube drivers who post on here and some other staff who may know.
Tube Strike Saturday on 23:23 - Mar 2 with 2594 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike Saturday on 23:10 - Mar 2 by Rs_Holy

Not sure that's a tongue in cheek question or a genuine one?

Of course you can wear glasses to drive a tube, exactly the same as any transport. But you have to carry a spare pair in case of loss or damage.

And it's 43 days leave for Train Operator but if you take off Bank Holidays as most others get but tube staff don't, somewhere around 34 (can't be arsed to count them), better than most jobs but not hugely over the top compared to other professions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024