Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? 12:36 - Mar 6 with 2022 viewsrunningman75

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/commuters-face-scrum-at-oxford-circus-stat

This is just one minor incident at Oxford Circus but after going to friends in East London the other night the population seems to have increased drastically in around the last 10 years. I am sure the census underestimates the London population and it is no good having an economy based around London if there is inadequate housing, transport, education and health facilities for the population of London.

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 12:41 - Mar 6 with 2007 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I'm sure I'll get pelters for this but here goes:

London can afford to a rise in population as long as the big boys pay their tax, which a lot don't. This unpaid tax would easily pay for hospitals / tube infrastructure etc and we'd all be relatively ok.
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 12:44 - Mar 6 with 2000 viewssimmo

That happens every day, not to that extent, but there isn't always a borken down train at rush hour. The Crossrail issue doesn't help either, but that's a temporary issue until TCR re-opens. The cost vs service provided is bullshit though, they make the commute more difficult and uncomfortable by removing alternative services but still raise the price.

The increase in population will happen regardless, hence why even if it is a ballache that's ruining some of my favourite parts of London, the Crossrail is needed.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 12:54 - Mar 6 with 1962 viewsClive_Anderson

It seems like there's around double the amount of people in London compared to when I was a kid. I don't think the census is very accurate, I've never even received one let alone filled one in.

The utilities and supermarkets estimated there were around 75 million people in Britain around a decade ago and I imagine a lot of the population increase is concentrated in the South East.

They need to make other cities more attractive for business rather than let London suck the life out of the rest of the country (and half of Europe).
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:03 - Mar 6 with 1929 viewsDiscodroids

as long as we build a house every 7 minutes and we build an elysium type space station for hard working middle aged QPR supporting probation officers to live on , funded by those naughty bankers, im as happy as a sandboy.

the uk is the most densely populated country in europe having just overtaken holland, why stop there ???lets go all out and conquer the world and make dhaka look like the australian outback.

there no finer sight in the known cosmos than shanty town sheds full of latvians dancing the night away on the old purple tin , springing up in the back gardens of waltham forest tower hamlets and newham provided by those most generous of Pakastani landlords.

Adding the population of nottingham every year to these fair isle should be welcomed, in fact , there should be a law where your first born daughter should be made available to our exotic cousins for breeding purposes, a kind of Eritrean joy division, if you will.

anyone who doesnt welcome the glorious sight of romanians squatting in the girls guide hut while roasting pike in the front garden dressed in just their pants at the bottom of your road in north chingford , should report their findings to MP'S who live in islington or hackney rising where they are 'polling' their young hairless electorate on a daily basis .

the cnts.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 13:34]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:09 - Mar 6 with 1922 viewsNov77

And before anyone says 'it's the daily mail', this story was just on the bbc news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2776156/Shanty-town-UK-Inside-squatter-c

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:18 - Mar 6 with 1887 viewsTheBlob

Why this manic rush every day to get into an office just(maybe)to press a few square centimeters of flesh when you can achieve most business over the internet?London should redefine and reinvent itself as a financial and leisure centre.The street system was set out a thousand years ago and it ain't efficient.More tube trains?Expensive and the water table may rise.
Dan Dare had a monorail network.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:30 - Mar 6 with 1846 viewsDiscodroids

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:09 - Mar 6 by Nov77

And before anyone says 'it's the daily mail', this story was just on the bbc news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2776156/Shanty-town-UK-Inside-squatter-c

drives me insane, councils are pathetic at prosecuting these saw dust cesar 'landlords'.

they simply dont give a fk its worth the risk .

some side streets in walthemstow look like judge dread mega city one, without the charm.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:30 - Mar 6 with 1853 viewsrobith

Two problems at play

- Infrastructure decisions are made based on the needs of the most affluent instead of the actual needs of the city - north London is ridiculously over serviced in terms of tube, overground and rail services. Some friends have moved to South East London from North due to cost and have compared the transport there more akin to a provincial town

- everyone piles everything into London as the centre of everything instead of spreading it across the country. Don't get me wrong, it's a place I'm so glad to have called home my whole life and as a capital it will have extra weight, that's natural. But recently as I increasingly become unable to afford staying in my home city my partner and I have considered moving elsewhere. Except we can't, because my industry basically doesn't exist in the rest of the country, it's focused almost entirely in Soho, Fitzrovia and Holborn, despite my clients being from all over
Login to get fewer ads

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:34 - Mar 6 with 1832 viewsGloucs_R

Already seeing a number of businesses relocate to Brum and Manchester due to the cost of living in London. Also seeing a lot of downsizing of business premises in London for people to either work from home or head out of the city to new locations.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:37 - Mar 6 with 1827 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:30 - Mar 6 by robith

Two problems at play

- Infrastructure decisions are made based on the needs of the most affluent instead of the actual needs of the city - north London is ridiculously over serviced in terms of tube, overground and rail services. Some friends have moved to South East London from North due to cost and have compared the transport there more akin to a provincial town

- everyone piles everything into London as the centre of everything instead of spreading it across the country. Don't get me wrong, it's a place I'm so glad to have called home my whole life and as a capital it will have extra weight, that's natural. But recently as I increasingly become unable to afford staying in my home city my partner and I have considered moving elsewhere. Except we can't, because my industry basically doesn't exist in the rest of the country, it's focused almost entirely in Soho, Fitzrovia and Holborn, despite my clients being from all over

I have some boring underground trivia for you.

South London never got a major tube network because it was a different sort of clay to North London and was impossible to drill at the time.

Since technology has moved on the Northern Line and Bakerloo line are being extended well into south London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/northern-line

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tube/bakerloo-extension?cid=bakerloo-extension
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:54 - Mar 6 with 1792 viewsrobith

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:37 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

I have some boring underground trivia for you.

South London never got a major tube network because it was a different sort of clay to North London and was impossible to drill at the time.

Since technology has moved on the Northern Line and Bakerloo line are being extended well into south London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/northern-line

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tube/bakerloo-extension?cid=bakerloo-extension

I'm well aware, I wrote a dissertation on the social history of the underground, and while the attitude has been changing the facts are that the progress of the underground system after initial ideas of social equity is that it has been to serve affluent - the met line used to have a dinner lounge for theatre goers!

That Northern Line extension has come under a lot of criticism for not extending far enough and just serving new pockets of affluence and premier developments. We're all paying to service the transport links to new private developments

Also the clay thing is a bit of a misnomer - the real reason was in the early days of the underground it was driven by rail magnates and the overland services out of south east london were pretty good so they saw no reason to bothering trying to compete. Capital always wins out. However 125 years later and south east London is still mostly reliant on those same services
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:55 - Mar 6 with 1791 viewsderbyhoop

Having been born in West London but lived away for nearly 40 years I;m now looking as an outsider.
There does seem a significant drift of commerce and industry to London, from other parts of the country - to the detriment of both. With London's population growing again, after years of decline, there is severe pressure on housing and transport. We're not building enough houses - anywhere!
Possible solutions are
a) businesses relocating outside of London (unlikely to happen in a big enough way)
b) a greater reliance on home-working, which many managers do not feel comfortable about. If I cannot see what he/she is doing, how can I know if they are doing anything. They may spend 90% of their time on Football Message Boards.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:11 - Mar 6 with 1758 viewsKonk

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:30 - Mar 6 by Discodroids

drives me insane, councils are pathetic at prosecuting these saw dust cesar 'landlords'.

they simply dont give a fk its worth the risk .

some side streets in walthemstow look like judge dread mega city one, without the charm.

My local council have major issues with houses being illegally converted and it’s become a real problem in some wards. The problem is, these landlords own dozens/hundreds of places in some cases, and with all the legal obstructions, it can take 3-4 years to prosecute them, by which point they’ve made a ridiculous sum of money through letting their places out. Plus, because of the cuts, planning enforcement has been absolutely hammered, so an already hopeless task — enforcement — has been made that much harder. Fewer bodies to deal with a rapidly increasing problem. Landlords know they can get away with taking the pi ss.

If it was up to me, I’d pass a law saying that the owner of any property illegally converted (and I’m not talking about minor tweaks — I’m talking about three bedroom houses converted into three separate flats) would be fined a hefty proportion of the market value of that property, with their own homes being seized if necessary to pay the fines.. The only thing these fu ckers care about is money, so I’d absolutely hammer them.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:16 - Mar 6 with 1738 viewsPommyhoop

Can't be long now till....

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:28 - Mar 6 with 1720 viewsthemodfather

most realise london is too crowded, and the mayors' answer?
reduce staff and close ticket offices on the tube??!....he loves the new york model of ltd staff, mostly armed transit police, but most of their system is 4 track and some elevated, most of the tube is underground.
they have taken guards off the new overground trains, which i thought was great to see guards/ captains back on trains.
we need more homes for key workers and council homes, not just elite housing for the very rich.
buses are crowded, the rush hour lasts 3 hours...look to the massive and some may say dangerous crowding at national rail/london bridge...
alos with so many londoners cutting fire stations was genius again by the mayor. the property the stations sat on is now up for grabs...who knew there were 50+ flats over clerkenwell fire station, all ready to lease/let and all empty for 2 decades!!!
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:34 - Mar 6 with 1714 viewssimmo

Every house or block of flats I see being built in London seems to be student accomodation or luxury flats that cost £1200+ per month for the single bedrooms. I have no proper knowledge on housing, etc other than in its current format I will never be able to buy my own place without a windfall or decades of extreme thriftiness.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:49 - Mar 6 with 1687 viewsJuzzie

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:18 - Mar 6 by TheBlob

Why this manic rush every day to get into an office just(maybe)to press a few square centimeters of flesh when you can achieve most business over the internet?London should redefine and reinvent itself as a financial and leisure centre.The street system was set out a thousand years ago and it ain't efficient.More tube trains?Expensive and the water table may rise.
Dan Dare had a monorail network.

Indeed. We're all crammed into open office space pushing the H&S limits to the edge I'm sure. There are three/four as many of us in the same space as our colleagues in Hannover. But we're leasing a building in West Kensington, they're on the outskirts of the town so our costs are probably ten times theirs.

The BBC have moved to Manchester, others may start following suit.

I wonder how much of this is all linked to property prices and residential/commercial rental values? If companies atrt moving out in large numbers the problem that will then cause is once demand for property drops so do the values and huge numbers of people will go into negative equity, empty office spaces etc and a ghost town will emerge.
This can't happen so they need to ensure property prices remain bouyant and the only way to do this is to keep cramming people in which then has all these massive effects on transportation, schools, hospitals etc.
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:59 - Mar 6 with 1663 viewsrobith

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:54 - Mar 6 by robith

I'm well aware, I wrote a dissertation on the social history of the underground, and while the attitude has been changing the facts are that the progress of the underground system after initial ideas of social equity is that it has been to serve affluent - the met line used to have a dinner lounge for theatre goers!

That Northern Line extension has come under a lot of criticism for not extending far enough and just serving new pockets of affluence and premier developments. We're all paying to service the transport links to new private developments

Also the clay thing is a bit of a misnomer - the real reason was in the early days of the underground it was driven by rail magnates and the overland services out of south east london were pretty good so they saw no reason to bothering trying to compete. Capital always wins out. However 125 years later and south east London is still mostly reliant on those same services

Oh my god, this response makes me sound like a right bell end.

Apologies all
Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 15:24 - Mar 6 with 1612 viewsDiscodroids

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:34 - Mar 6 by simmo

Every house or block of flats I see being built in London seems to be student accomodation or luxury flats that cost £1200+ per month for the single bedrooms. I have no proper knowledge on housing, etc other than in its current format I will never be able to buy my own place without a windfall or decades of extreme thriftiness.

that makes me sad mate. i often think of my boy not having the chance to get his own place. he's 23 and a newly qualified sports teacher.

gawd knows what it will be like for my two youngest now 14 and 12, living with their mum in cinderford near the forest of dean...

they'll have to wait till the old man pops it, and split my leafy discodroid estate in north chingford 3 ways ... which given my history of excess leading to the palace of financial paucity and fuked body organs, shouldnt be to long.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 15:26]

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 17:01 - Mar 6 with 1538 viewslondonscottish

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 14:59 - Mar 6 by robith

Oh my god, this response makes me sound like a right bell end.

Apologies all

I thought it was quite interesting. Bring back the buffet car is what I say. Not for the theatre, just for evening and weekends in general.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 22:45 - Mar 6 with 1389 viewsHollowayRanger

DONT WORRY when the mad allahs release their dirty bomb or worse on central London

we wont have to worry any longer about it being over crowded

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 10:23 - Mar 7 with 1258 viewsTacticalR

The question is always the same: Must the infrastructure be changed to serve the people, or must the people be changed to serve the infrastructure?

Air hostess clique

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 13:26 - Mar 7 with 1182 viewsrunningman75

Infrastructure of London cannot cope with population? on 22:45 - Mar 6 by HollowayRanger

DONT WORRY when the mad allahs release their dirty bomb or worse on central London

we wont have to worry any longer about it being over crowded

Most of the mad mullahs enjoy the benefits of living in a diverse society and do not seem in a hurry to live in the middle East. The London bombings in 2005 affected Muslim areas as the bombers from Yorkshire had no clue about the demographics of London.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024