Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. 21:13 - Mar 28 with 2433 viewsPommyhoop

Todays final should be a cracker hopefully and I will be rooting for the Kiwis.
It got me thinking about Tebbit's famous 'cricket test' for immigrants. I definitely fail the test whenever the Motherland play my new nation( not only cricket could be archery ,swimming or tiddleywinks).
I found this link about Tebbits 'cricket test ' and the storm it caused back then..
http://barrettsonthisday.anorak.co.uk/uncategorized/1814/tebbit-proposes-cricket
At the end of the piece there is a funny letter from a reader to the Telegraph..
Letter to the Daily Telegraph

Sir, The fuss over Norman Tebbit’s so-called ‘cricket test’ put me in mind of a simple method of testing the allegiance of foreigners. My old school, Hadleigh’s, had its share of exotic creatures even in the 1920s, and all boys were put through a ‘cricket test’ that left no room for doubt. One by one, we stood in front of the wicket with our hands behind our backs while the First XI bowlers sent down their fastest deliveries, aimed just below the waist. No protective boxes were allowed, and any boy who stood firm was ‘in’. Colour didn’t come into it.

Cedric Lawton

Esher, Surrey

Made me smile anyway..
Come on you Kiwis .!!!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:17 - Mar 28 with 2424 viewsstowmarketrange

I don't think the Aussies need something else to boast about,so come on the Kiwis.
There's only one thing worse than a losing Aussie and that's a winning one.
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:29 - Mar 28 with 2411 viewsKiwi76

I'm already battling the nerves & 6hrs to go!
NZ have played great and hope we can play to that level in final.
Have my Air Vettori shirt on - rip off of Air Jordan after his QF catch on boundary.
C'mon the Black Caps!!
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:47 - Mar 28 with 2394 viewsPommyhoop

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:17 - Mar 28 by stowmarketrange

I don't think the Aussies need something else to boast about,so come on the Kiwis.
There's only one thing worse than a losing Aussie and that's a winning one.

You Sir are correct.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,I give you Marto of Triple M

My fellow R's who reside in and around Brisbane will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:49 - Mar 28 with 2387 viewsizlingtonhoop

I presume you know what 'rooting' means over there?
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:51 - Mar 28 with 2381 viewsPommyhoop

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:49 - Mar 28 by izlingtonhoop

8 years over here and that one still f'cks me up.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:54 - Mar 28 with 2370 viewsizlingtonhoop

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:51 - Mar 28 by Pommyhoop

8 years over here and that one still f'cks me up.

Australian pals I've known over here could never get on a Routemaster without snickering...
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 22:00 - Mar 28 with 2365 viewseasthertsr

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:54 - Mar 28 by izlingtonhoop

Australian pals I've known over here could never get on a Routemaster without snickering...

Used to play cricket with a kiwi who always came to the ground in a T-shirt that said I support New Zealand and whoever Australia are playing! Fingers crossed for the Black Caps!
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 00:50 - Mar 29 with 2306 viewsozranger

Yup, and I am all for the Kiwis as well.. born in Wellington, a city's team that will also be, while on the other side of the ditch, trying to thump it to the Bling (Sydney FC for those who do not know). Got a Nix jersey for a birthday present yesterday. Its a great time to be a Wellingtonian (Canes also running hot) and let's just hope that the Black Caps can make us proud!

Re: the boofhead from Queensland.. there is no one worse than him.
Login to get fewer ads

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 02:26 - Mar 29 with 2291 viewsFredManRave

What time is k.o. and any suggested links...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:05 - Mar 29 with 2278 viewsPommyhoop

1.30pm our time
4.30 am London time.
Where are you again Fred? Brazil??

Sorry mate ,can't help with the link but there is sure to be a few because it is on both Fox and channel 9

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:11 - Mar 29 with 2271 viewsFredManRave

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:05 - Mar 29 by Pommyhoop

1.30pm our time
4.30 am London time.
Where are you again Fred? Brazil??

Sorry mate ,can't help with the link but there is sure to be a few because it is on both Fox and channel 9

I'm in Argentina mate so that's a 1:30am k.o. for me plus I can't find any links anyway so I'll just have to read about it tomorrow...

I've got the Power.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:13 - Mar 29 with 2269 viewsPunteR

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 21:49 - Mar 28 by izlingtonhoop

what does rooting mean over there?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:26 - Mar 29 with 2261 viewsPommyhoop

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:13 - Mar 29 by PunteR

what does rooting mean over there?

For real Punter?
Here's the urban dic def. for you.
Saves me changing letters to get through swear filter..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=root&defid=19741

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:37 - Mar 29 with 2251 viewsPunteR

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:26 - Mar 29 by Pommyhoop

For real Punter?
Here's the urban dic def. for you.
Saves me changing letters to get through swear filter..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=root&defid=19741

learn something new every day.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:40 - Mar 29 with 2249 viewsFredManRave

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 03:37 - Mar 29 by PunteR

learn something new every day.

Too rooting right.

I've got the Power.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 04:39 - Mar 29 with 2230 viewsstowmarketrange

Not a good start.
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 04:40 - Mar 29 with 2229 viewsPommyhoop

Awesome first over by Starc. .Ball swinging all over the place and got McCullum for nought..

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 04:49 - Mar 29 with 2223 viewsBrisbaneR

Love living in Brisbane and Oz in general, but when it comes to sport I'll always support whoever is playing against the Aussies.
Played RL with a lot of Aussie &Kiwi blokes and you could tell them apart, other than the accent, by if they were overly confident or more humble. Yank/Canadian like contrast.
A sweeping generalisation of course, but enough to have me backing the Black Caps...
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 04:58 - Mar 29 with 2214 viewsstowmarketrange

A whole nation of Mike Deans and Nigel Pearsons with a sprinkling of Mourinhos for good measure.
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 05:19 - Mar 29 with 2202 viewsFredManRave

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 04:58 - Mar 29 by stowmarketrange

A whole nation of Mike Deans and Nigel Pearsons with a sprinkling of Mourinhos for good measure.

They're not all bad;

[Post edited 29 Mar 2015 5:41]

I've got the Power.

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 05:31 - Mar 29 with 2190 viewsstowmarketrange

Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 05:19 - Mar 29 by FredManRave

They're not all bad;

[Post edited 29 Mar 2015 5:41]

There are always exceptions.
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 05:32 - Mar 29 with 2189 viewsKiwi76

Saving our worst for final - flaming bollix!!!
My wife's over at game & copping it.
Shame but this is a pants down walloping....
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 05:49 - Mar 29 with 2174 viewsozexile

They need these 2 to bat for the next 20 overs.
Today's cricket WC final and Norman Tebbit. on 08:50 - Mar 29 with 2117 viewsCanadaRanger

Kiwis are going to have to bowl like Botham used to if there are to win this one...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024