Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't 22:15 - Mar 28 with 19736 viewsW5R

There was a meeting a few days ago I learnt this evening. OOC is looking highly unlikely so the club have requested to look at the land opposite Diageo..pizza hut, cinema, where Zenith was etc and also in Greenford (Glaxo etc)

Warren Farm looks shaky but the council is still hopeful of something.

"Sauce" Ealing councillors, Ealing MPs, Ealing prospective MPs and the Labour candidate for Mayor of London.

Personally be fine with the Park Royal site..less of sh*t hole than OOC and well, we did use to play there.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:26 - Mar 30 with 3084 viewsNW5Hoop

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:10 - Mar 30 by BasingstokeR

Are the bits about the "threats" QPR's team have made and "how much CG own" from press stories somewhere or somewhere else like from word of mouth?

The press seem to have been pretty consistent with this kind of statment: "The 47 acres owned by Warren make him the largest single land owner of the 380 acre Old Oak Common site."

If your saying Geoff Warren owns more than 47-50+ of the 380 acres; and the club are saying they've "secured strategic land holdings in excess of 100 acres", how many acres do you need for a Stadium? Googling seems to suggest the Emirates site is 17acres (and that has a lot of space around the outside from my one visit there).

They need a colossal amount of acreage because they're not interested in just building a football stadium. Theywant to undertake a massive development with leisure, retail and the inevitable "luxury housing". The football stadium was their Trojan horse — here's the community benefit, planning officers! - and they're not going to want to spend a shedload of money building that without any of the stuff that's going to bring in the real money.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:39 - Mar 30 with 3055 viewsBasingstokeR

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:22 - Mar 30 by Northernr

To be fair 'threats' was a poor choice of words. But Spencer did start off by telling Car Giant he had them "landlocked" i.e. you have to deal with us, you don't have a choice.

50 acres is probably about right. I know what they own, as I've described above, but not the exact acreage of it.

If it was a 380 acre normal brownfield site then, simply, build it somewhere else on the site. It's not a normal site. Railway lines (not little ones, mainlines) would need re-routing, the Canal would need re-routing, lots of the rest of it is contiminated land, the issue with the waste disposal site needing another site as I've described above. It's a hugely complex site. Bits of it will be developed long after the rest of it. Bits of it depend on HS2 getting the go ahead and starting. If it was a s simple as "Car Giant won't deal with us, so we'll build it on another bit of the site" do you think they might have tried that already?

And it's neither press stories nor word of mouth. Tony Mendes invited LFW (and QPR First and a lot of the local journos) down a few months ago as part of his PR push. I spoke to him for more than an hour, toured round the site, heard what he had to say. I decided not to publish an article, and told him I'd be unlikely to publish anything when we first sat down, because it's a QPR site at the end of the day so when it comes down to it LFW's wants the best for the club.

I subsequently, along with LSA, QPR 1st, all the other sites and podcasts etc, went and met Mark Donnelly and heard what the club had to say about it all and what their position was.

And I've formed my view from those meetings and walking round the site. Dangerous to rely on press reports and word of mouth IMO.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Thanks Clive, that's really interesting. Didn't realise CarGiant did that.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:42 - Mar 30 with 3041 viewsCiderwithRsie

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 13:49 - Mar 30 by Northernr

I think some of the recent Car Giant rhetoric has been a bit petty and not reflected well on them. Saying things like "we will never deal with QPR, we will not talk to them" makes it look personal. What if QPR offer the best deal? But overall it's QPR that have made a mess of this.

They rubbed Car Giant up the wrong way sending Anthony Spencer in there to do their bidding. Spencer was involved in the Arsenal Emirates Stadium development, although that was mostly railway land. His attitude with Car Giant from the start was this will happen with you or it will happen without you but it will happen, and he's batted them over the head with how he got the arsenal thing off the ground at every opportunity.

Spencer has told them things like "we've got you landlocked" when in reality all QPR have is agreements with the land owners around Car Giant, and these agreements are little more than 'first look' arrangements. One of the neighbouring properties is a waste disposal unit which, by law, Hammersmith and Fulham Council have to have within the borough, so even if they did agree to sell to QPR we'd have to find an alternative site, within HandF (third smallest borough in the country and one of the most densely populated) for an industrial waste disposal unit - good luck getting that through planning, residents not exactly queuing up to live next door to one of those.

So we rubbed them up the wrong way to start with and I think they've been minded to ignore us since then. It's what happens when you have people like Spencer doing your bidding for you and people like Mark Donnelly and Phil Beard in control. Had Fernandes gone in there himself from the start and spoken to them I think there'd have been a different outcome. We've treated them as an inconvenience to be dealt with, rather than a kingmaker and we've used idle threats from the get go.

I think they've underestimated Car Giant as little more than a used car lot, and underestimated just how much of the land round there Car Giant owns. As for finding somewhere else on the site, I don't see how you can - Car Giant owns more than 50 acres of it, not just the car giant bit., They own all the units to the north and south of Hythe Road. It owns the Gateway Industrial Estate to the west and the units north and south of Salter St.It also owns several of the office blocks west of Scrubbs Lane. Go any further south than this and all you've got is the canal and the Great Western Mainline. Any further north and you've the West Coast mainline. I just don't see where else you could do it there without Car Giant. Get the train in from Ealing Broadway and look to the left, see how closely pressed up the Cargiant Buildings are pressed up to the lines.

They've responded to this by holding these 'consultation' events, which again are likely to annoy the land owners, and seem to do little more than collect statements from QPR fans saying we'd quite like a new stadium. Those events seem a bit weird and desperate to me.

Overall, made a bit of a pig's ear of it.

I don't suppose it entirely helped that about the first thing that happened after the Briatore takeover was that Car Giant was removed from the shirts before the season was even over, apparently because being associated with them was bad for QPR's image, although we'd been bloody glad to have their money when we didn't have a pot to pee in.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:43 - Mar 30 with 3036 viewsNorthernr

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:39 - Mar 30 by BasingstokeR

Thanks Clive, that's really interesting. Didn't realise CarGiant did that.

It resulted in this piece...

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/queens-park-rangers/cargiant_boss_r
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:44 - Mar 30 with 3033 viewsNorthernr

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:42 - Mar 30 by CiderwithRsie

I don't suppose it entirely helped that about the first thing that happened after the Briatore takeover was that Car Giant was removed from the shirts before the season was even over, apparently because being associated with them was bad for QPR's image, although we'd been bloody glad to have their money when we didn't have a pot to pee in.

Car Giant came out of that pretty well - Paladini let them write the contract themselves.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:46 - Mar 30 with 3026 viewsJamie

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 14:09 - Mar 30 by baz_qpr

What is this bullying campaign you speak off?

Car Giant fought tooth and nail against the whole development, until it was passed as inevitable. They asked QPR to buy the land directly off them and find them a new home (which no one was going to do until it was passed) as soon as it was passed they pulled up the drawbridge and decided to make their own plans.

Anyone was invited to put forward plans (they did not have to be the land owner) QPR was one of those.

This is not a political exercise in making Car Giant more rich its a massive urban regen project.

Dont really see what the club has done wrong, they have followed the rules of the process, put forward their plans got land agreements with all the other major land owner apart from CG. They have campaigned as part of the consultation, nothing here is out of the ordinary. CG dont have the given right to do the development because they own part of the decreed land.

Bullying was a poor choice off words on my behalf. I sincerely hope the club is able to develop a new stadium as it is sorely needed, but it is my personal opinion that they have gone about it very poorly indeed.

As said when they released the last glossy video, personally rather than claiming that QPR were the only option, I'd rather they acknowledged CarGiant do exist, are trading very profitably on the land and wish to redevelop it themselves, but point out why QPR are the better option. If they believed in their plans that highly it really shouldnt be difficult.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 17:06 - Mar 30 with 3005 viewsranger08

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 14:09 - Mar 30 by baz_qpr

What is this bullying campaign you speak off?

Car Giant fought tooth and nail against the whole development, until it was passed as inevitable. They asked QPR to buy the land directly off them and find them a new home (which no one was going to do until it was passed) as soon as it was passed they pulled up the drawbridge and decided to make their own plans.

Anyone was invited to put forward plans (they did not have to be the land owner) QPR was one of those.

This is not a political exercise in making Car Giant more rich its a massive urban regen project.

Dont really see what the club has done wrong, they have followed the rules of the process, put forward their plans got land agreements with all the other major land owner apart from CG. They have campaigned as part of the consultation, nothing here is out of the ordinary. CG dont have the given right to do the development because they own part of the decreed land.

Don't really see what the club has done wrong?

How about:

1) Telling everyone it will be built by 2018/2019 (As well as a training ground)
2) Getting a loan of £27m against the stadium to fund it (Clubs financial future at risk)

Surely if the club was serious about the development then they would have bought the land first, instead they're using US (Fans) as public support.

Don't like the emotional blackmail ("We'll have to move out the area otherwise").
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 17:20 - Mar 30 with 2984 viewsSaycey

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 17:06 - Mar 30 by ranger08

Don't really see what the club has done wrong?

How about:

1) Telling everyone it will be built by 2018/2019 (As well as a training ground)
2) Getting a loan of £27m against the stadium to fund it (Clubs financial future at risk)

Surely if the club was serious about the development then they would have bought the land first, instead they're using US (Fans) as public support.

Don't like the emotional blackmail ("We'll have to move out the area otherwise").

Spot on Ranger08.

It's not even club management who are driving this, it is the owners. As evidenced by a third party PR company controlling ALL of the communication about Old Oak. The QPR Press team are quick to point this out when asked - they are carrying out instructions from an agency called Forty Shillings.
Login to get fewer ads

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 18:28 - Mar 30 with 2912 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Clive.

Good to have real info.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 19:40 - Mar 30 with 2835 viewsDeano19766

I think some of the recent Car Giant rhetoric has been a bit petty and not reflected well on them. Saying things like "we will never deal with QPR, we will not talk to them" makes it look personal. What if QPR offer the best deal? But overall it's QPR that have made a mess of this.

They rubbed Car Giant up the wrong way sending Anthony Spencer in there to do their bidding. Spencer was involved in the Arsenal Emirates Stadium development, although that was mostly railway land. His attitude with Car Giant from the start was this will happen with you or it will happen without you but it will happen, and he's batted them over the head with how he got the arsenal thing off the ground at every opportunity.

Spencer has told them things like "we've got you landlocked" when in reality all QPR have is agreements with the land owners around Car Giant, and these agreements are little more than 'first look' arrangements. One of the neighbouring properties is a waste disposal unit which, by law, Hammersmith and Fulham Council have to have within the borough, so even if they did agree to sell to QPR we'd have to find an alternative site, within HandF (third smallest borough in the country and one of the most densely populated) for an industrial waste disposal unit - good luck getting that through planning, residents not exactly queuing up to live next door to one of those.

So we rubbed them up the wrong way to start with and I think they've been minded to ignore us since then. It's what happens when you have people like Spencer doing your bidding for you and people like Mark Donnelly and Phil Beard in control. Had Fernandes gone in there himself from the start and spoken to them I think there'd have been a different outcome. We've treated them as an inconvenience to be dealt with, rather than a kingmaker and we've used idle threats from the get go.

I think they've underestimated Car Giant as little more than a used car lot, and underestimated just how much of the land round there Car Giant owns. As for finding somewhere else on the site, I don't see how you can - Car Giant owns more than 50 acres of it, not just the car giant bit., They own all the units to the north and south of Hythe Road. It owns the Gateway Industrial Estate to the west and the units north and south of Salter St.It also owns several of the office blocks west of Scrubbs Lane. Go any further south than this and all you've got is the canal and the Great Western Mainline. Any further north and you've the West Coast mainline. I just don't see where else you could do it there without Car Giant. Get the train in from Ealing Broadway and look to the left, see how closely pressed up the Cargiant Buildings are pressed up to the lines.

They've responded to this by holding these 'consultation' events, which again are likely to annoy the land owners, and seem to do little more than collect statements from QPR fans saying we'd quite like a new stadium. Those events seem a bit weird and desperate to me.

He doesn't make a pigs ear of too many things our Tone.

Lovely fella to boot
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 19:49]
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 19:57 - Mar 30 with 2815 viewsQPR_Jim

"One of the neighbouring properties is a waste disposal unit which, by law, Hammersmith and Fulham Council have to have within the borough, so even if they did agree to sell to QPR we'd have to find an alternative site, within HandF (third smallest borough in the country and one of the most densely populated) for an industrial waste disposal unit - good luck getting that through planning, residents not exactly queuing up to live next door to one of those."

Is that true? I only ask because I am aware of a waste disposal site near hanger lane which serves three different councils. I don't see why the same couldn't be done for H&F.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 20:19 - Mar 30 with 2787 viewsNorthernr

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 19:57 - Mar 30 by QPR_Jim

"One of the neighbouring properties is a waste disposal unit which, by law, Hammersmith and Fulham Council have to have within the borough, so even if they did agree to sell to QPR we'd have to find an alternative site, within HandF (third smallest borough in the country and one of the most densely populated) for an industrial waste disposal unit - good luck getting that through planning, residents not exactly queuing up to live next door to one of those."

Is that true? I only ask because I am aware of a waste disposal site near hanger lane which serves three different councils. I don't see why the same couldn't be done for H&F.

Personally, no idea, but in the meetings both the club and the car lot seem to believe another site would have to be found for it in the borough. Maybe it's a specialist thing? Honestly don't know.
OOC is possibly OFF but a new stadium isn't on 23:29 - Mar 30 with 2601 viewsLythamR

Someone appears to have made a major mess of this

The club went all Bertie Big Bollocks swaggering around with plans and visions and artists impressions of a 40k stadium rather than first sorting out the key relationship required to move this development forward quickly and effectively.instead they alienated their biggest potential ally

Its basic business sense, you get your ducks in a row quietly and without fuss. the way the club have approached this is akin to amateur hour and one way or another its probably going to prove to be a very costly mistake
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 23:45 - Mar 30 with 2582 viewsPunteR

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 20:19 - Mar 30 by Northernr

Personally, no idea, but in the meetings both the club and the car lot seem to believe another site would have to be found for it in the borough. Maybe it's a specialist thing? Honestly don't know.

In your opinion Clive, do think a working relationship between CG and QPR is retrievable ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 10:42 - Mar 31 with 2441 viewsNorthernr

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 23:45 - Mar 30 by PunteR

In your opinion Clive, do think a working relationship between CG and QPR is retrievable ?

No idea. It's been months since I spoke to either party on it. I'm certainly no expert.
OOC is possibly OFF but a new stadium isn't on 11:23 - Mar 31 with 2407 viewsTacticalR

OOC is possibly OFF but a new stadium isn't on 23:29 - Mar 30 by LythamR

Someone appears to have made a major mess of this

The club went all Bertie Big Bollocks swaggering around with plans and visions and artists impressions of a 40k stadium rather than first sorting out the key relationship required to move this development forward quickly and effectively.instead they alienated their biggest potential ally

Its basic business sense, you get your ducks in a row quietly and without fuss. the way the club have approached this is akin to amateur hour and one way or another its probably going to prove to be a very costly mistake

Fernandes is a man who likes to count his chickens before they are hatched.

Air hostess clique

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 11:36 - Mar 31 with 2386 viewsBostonR

I have been in property development, management and re-investment for over 30yrs and I cannot see where the QPR Board have done anything wrong from a business perspective. This proposed re-generation project is massive and what we cannot see at this time, is what type of long-term business plan or proposed HOT's are being tabled, at what is a very early stage in the process.
If I were TF, I would be looking for the toughest and most experienced negotiator on the "block" and Anthony Spencer has that form. He did after all deliver the whole Arsenal project including the disposal of Highbury. There appears to be a very clear plan to get a stadium on that site and given the enormous financial resources that TF and his partners have, I can see why they are playing hardball. They want a deal and it seems they are very determined to get it - one way or another.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 11:39 - Mar 31 with 2381 viewsW5R

Well, lets see what happens then....
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 12:00 - Mar 31 with 2346 viewshoof_hearted

Frank Warren's cousin Geoff owns Car Giant.

His personal wealth according to the 2013 Times rich list was £220,000,000. A pauper compared to the Mittals, maybe, but they already own the land. And if cousin Frank is anything to go he will be a VERY tough businessman. The Warrens didn't pick up an ex-nationalised business on the cheap. They are fearsome opponents.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 12:03 - Mar 31 with 2344 viewsTheBlob

It all starts appropriately enough on April 1st.
The hybrid HS2 bill is progressing through parliament so I imagine the General Election may have a bearing?

https://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/planning/consultations/park-royal-planning-

Poll: So how was the season for you?

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 15:57 - Mar 31 with 2194 viewswombat

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 12:03 - Mar 31 by TheBlob

It all starts appropriately enough on April 1st.
The hybrid HS2 bill is progressing through parliament so I imagine the General Election may have a bearing?

https://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/planning/consultations/park-royal-planning-

if HS2 happens and its a big if , they have a revised plan for the chilterns to contend with which entails the section going through the chilterns would go underground for around 18 miles, this would add around £700 million to the bill , and delay things even more ,
from somebody on the construction side of things I actually hope it DOSNT HAPPEN biggest waste of money this country has thought of in my lifetime ,
train to birmingham next tuesday 1h10 mins why do i need to get there 15 mins quicker for fecks sake

Poll: which is your favouite foot

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 16:49 - Mar 31 with 2160 viewsterryb

OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 15:57 - Mar 31 by wombat

if HS2 happens and its a big if , they have a revised plan for the chilterns to contend with which entails the section going through the chilterns would go underground for around 18 miles, this would add around £700 million to the bill , and delay things even more ,
from somebody on the construction side of things I actually hope it DOSNT HAPPEN biggest waste of money this country has thought of in my lifetime ,
train to birmingham next tuesday 1h10 mins why do i need to get there 15 mins quicker for fecks sake

I could easily be wrong, but isn't the station for this proposed line situated outside of Birmingham?

Therefore, to reach the city centre would take longer than at present? Is it the equivalent of the M6 toll road competing for traffic with the M6 or would it replace the existing lines?

I moved from The Chilterns in 1974 but I know many p****d off people in the area. It won't effect the election results for those constituencies though!
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 17:02 - Mar 31 with 2143 viewsnadera78

I don't see it happening tbh. Just last week there was another Select Committee report concerning the dubious claims being made by proponents. Add to that the huge number of opponents right along the line from London northwards, in fact the only people on favour of it are politicians and construction companies. Given the likelihood of a hung parliament and all the negotiating that will follow I can see this whole thing being dropped.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 17:57 - Mar 31 with 2101 viewsCiderwithRsie

Wildly off-topic, but the Cheltenham Spa Express is the 11.48 train from Paddington, arriving in Cheltenham (when it's on time) at 14.03 i.e. a scheduled journey time of 2 hours 15 minutes.

In the 1929 the Cheltenham Spa Express had a scheduled journey time of 1 hour 10 minutes. 80 years of progress, High Speed trains and computerised signalling have managed to almost double the journey time compared to what used to be done with steam engines.

So count yourself lucky if HS2 does actually cut journey times.
OOC is OFF but a new stadium isn't on 18:34 - Mar 31 with 2070 viewsJuzzie

"why do i need to get there 15 mins quicker" - same with Heathrow. I hear so much stuff, billions and billions of pounds ("it'll create jobs y'know" - yeah, like I want a fkin 7th runway at the end of my garden) all to save 15 minutes. Really? 15 minutes? That'll be wasted while I'm in the bog.

They, of course, will add it up aggregately and say that it will "save everyone 1.25 million hours a year". The usual bollox of orchestrating a really high number to make it sound amazing. It won't save me 1.25 million hours a year, it'll save me 15 minutes, so stop bull$hitting the 'facts'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024