Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester 20:53 - Mar 29 with 4266 viewsstuabd

It's an odd one this as it wasn't that long ago that people were lauding them for how they got back into the premiership the right way. OK they had some money, but people were saying that they'd done well to build a good team over a couple of seasons. I read stuff about a decent manager, a system of play, quick, strong players and a balanced squad. Basically the opposite of how we went about things.

They are rock bottom. We keep saying that if we go down, we need to build a team, a style of play, young players, etc. That does make sense, but it I guess even if you do that it can still result in a miserable season.

Then again, maybe Leicester will keep the core of their team and come back a stronger team like WBA did for a few seasons.

Leicester on 07:23 - Mar 30 with 3258 viewsAgedR

You just can't tell.

Look at Wigan, years of carving out a footballing philosophy, stylish, consistently overachieving. Then bang!

Leicester are just as likely to in a relegation scrap next season as they are to be challenging for promotion or facing mid table mediocrity.

As are we (although I fear we will struggle).

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Leicester on 08:46 - Mar 30 with 3189 viewsJonDoeman

I think they'll be well placed to bounce back next season.... unlike us. :-/

It Is What It Is !!

Leicester on 09:10 - Mar 30 with 3155 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Leicester on 08:46 - Mar 30 by JonDoeman

I think they'll be well placed to bounce back next season.... unlike us. :-/

Why??
Leicester on 09:35 - Mar 30 with 3121 viewskensalriser

I said at the start of the season they'd struggle on the basis they had virtually no Premier league quality players.

Turned out the same applied to us...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Leicester on 09:52 - Mar 30 with 3094 viewsdaveB

goes to show that football is chaos.

We've been a shambles for years but still managed two promotions and 3 years in the prem. Next year we'll do things properly and probably end up being relegated again showing there really is no right way to do things.
Leicester on 10:16 - Mar 30 with 3057 viewsPinnerPaul

They are also waiting on FL judgement about them breaking FFP rules
Leicester on 11:00 - Mar 30 with 3005 viewsJonDoeman

Leicester on 09:10 - Mar 30 by CroydonCaptJack

Why??

Cos I think they'll still have the core of that team that pissed the league last time & a manager that knows the division. Whereas we'll have a new team & god knows who our manager will be. I usually reserve the right to be positive about a season before a ball has been kicked, but I can see nothing but turmoil. :-((

It Is What It Is !!

Leicester on 11:03 - Mar 30 with 2997 viewsPinnerPaul

Leicester on 11:00 - Mar 30 by JonDoeman

Cos I think they'll still have the core of that team that pissed the league last time & a manager that knows the division. Whereas we'll have a new team & god knows who our manager will be. I usually reserve the right to be positive about a season before a ball has been kicked, but I can see nothing but turmoil. :-((

Its all guesswork though Jon isn't it?

Last September not many would have thought Derby, Watford and Wigan would be where they are now.
Login to get fewer ads

Leicester on 12:16 - Mar 30 with 2932 viewsJonDoeman

Leicester on 11:03 - Mar 30 by PinnerPaul

Its all guesswork though Jon isn't it?

Last September not many would have thought Derby, Watford and Wigan would be where they are now.

Considering Wigan were my tip to win the thing! I know nothing! ;)

It Is What It Is !!

Leicester on 12:34 - Mar 30 with 2884 viewsTacticalR

Leicester on 09:52 - Mar 30 by daveB

We've been a shambles for years but still managed two promotions and 3 years in the prem. Next year we'll do things properly and probably end up being relegated again showing there really is no right way to do things.

It's particularly chaotic for clubs moving between the Premier League and the Championship. Of course the clubs that dreamed up the Premier League are completely insulated from that chaos.

Air hostess clique

Leicester on 14:21 - Mar 30 with 2773 viewsPinnerPaul

Leicester on 12:16 - Mar 30 by JonDoeman

Considering Wigan were my tip to win the thing! I know nothing! ;)

I'm not being clever - I thought Derby would walk the league.

EVERYONE thought Watford ere heading for L1 after the 4th manager of whatever it was arrived in the autumn!
Leicester on 15:12 - Mar 30 with 2732 viewsNW10Hoop

I've said something similar in other threads. People gush over Burnley who are supposedly doing everything right, yet will probably go down with us with no guarantees that they'll come straight back up.

Yes we have built up a lot of debt, I think the bulk of the damage was done during Mark Hughes' time at the club. I know that the chairman has made some errors and had some bad luck/advice, but I can't bring myself to blame him for bringing in experienced, established Premier League managers and then backing them in the transfer market.

There are some who want a total change of direction for the club even if it means spending years in the lower leagues, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. We're 4 points adrift of some very bad teams. I don't see QPR digging our way out based on recent games, but if we did, we wouldn't be in a terrible position. Another year of TV money and some decent players still on our books who, with decent coaching and a better pre season might make a better fist of things (Green, McCarthy, Yun, Caulker, Ned, Fer, Phillips, and Austin).

We've given some right muppets serious wages over the last few years, SWP and Bosingwa being examples. How about offering that kind of money to Charlie Austin? No matter what league we are in next season try to keep him here to become a club legend instead of warming the bench for another Premiership team, I'd even offer him the captaincy.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 15:26]
Leicester on 15:26 - Mar 30 with 2708 viewsstuabd

Leicester on 15:12 - Mar 30 by NW10Hoop

I've said something similar in other threads. People gush over Burnley who are supposedly doing everything right, yet will probably go down with us with no guarantees that they'll come straight back up.

Yes we have built up a lot of debt, I think the bulk of the damage was done during Mark Hughes' time at the club. I know that the chairman has made some errors and had some bad luck/advice, but I can't bring myself to blame him for bringing in experienced, established Premier League managers and then backing them in the transfer market.

There are some who want a total change of direction for the club even if it means spending years in the lower leagues, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. We're 4 points adrift of some very bad teams. I don't see QPR digging our way out based on recent games, but if we did, we wouldn't be in a terrible position. Another year of TV money and some decent players still on our books who, with decent coaching and a better pre season might make a better fist of things (Green, McCarthy, Yun, Caulker, Ned, Fer, Phillips, and Austin).

We've given some right muppets serious wages over the last few years, SWP and Bosingwa being examples. How about offering that kind of money to Charlie Austin? No matter what league we are in next season try to keep him here to become a club legend instead of warming the bench for another Premiership team, I'd even offer him the captaincy.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 15:26]

Yep, I'd go with offering Charlie a super deal to try and keep him. Maybe they could give me an early release clause if by Christmas we're adrift of the promotion places. Or just a great one year deal where he can go if we don't bounce right back.
Leicester on 16:07 - Mar 30 with 2662 viewsadhoc_qpr

Leicester on 15:26 - Mar 30 by stuabd

Yep, I'd go with offering Charlie a super deal to try and keep him. Maybe they could give me an early release clause if by Christmas we're adrift of the promotion places. Or just a great one year deal where he can go if we don't bounce right back.

No way is Austin wanting to play another year in the Championship having proved he can cut it at prem level.

Soton, Spurs, West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Palace, Newcastle or Everton would all love to have him.

The only question for me is whether we will actually get a good fee for him or sell him off for relative peanuts like £7-8m?

I fear the latter due to his contract only having a year to go and our finances leaving us in a weak negotiating position.

I'd personally try to keep him for the last year of his contract and be willing to lose him for nothing next summer - he got us up single-handedly last time and doesn't seem the type to go on strike.
Leicester on 16:10 - Mar 30 with 2659 viewsdaveB

Austin owes us nothing, not long ago he was being abused from our own fans hence the shut up celebration against Villa at home, he also got a fair bit of stick around last January as well when he had a pop at someone in the R Block after a goal.

He came here to play in the Premier league and would be mad to go back to the championship after how well he has done this season. I'd love him to stay but if we go down he should go.
Leicester on 16:30 - Mar 30 with 2647 viewsNorthernr

The mark of it is what kind of state are they in to bounce straight back? because that's the only way the promoted clubs are going to be able to do this now, the way the money is in the prem and the way it is in the Champ. You're coming from a league where your spending is tightly restricted, into one where the fourth bottom team the previous year will soon be banking in excess of £100m. You're not, as Leicester have found, going to be able to come back into that after a decade away and make a fist of it.

If you can go up, bank the money, buy a few long term signings you don't immediately need to sell on after relegation, go back down, come back, bank the money, buy a few more long term signings, go down, come back then you might have a chance. If you come up, spend all the money, have to sell everything you bought a year later, have to buy a whole new team to get you back, and then repeat then you'll very quickly run your club into the ground.

Whatever happens to Burnley between now and May they're wonderfully placed - the team will lose Ings this summer but that's it, it will stay together. They have banked £30m. They can either stay in the premier league and get another £60m on top of that, or they can go down to the Championship, spend a bit, and potentially come back stronger still.
Leicester on 16:41 - Mar 30 with 2632 viewsdaveB

would agree with Clive if the bottom 3 go down Burnley should be the strongest next season unless they lose Dyche.

Even if Austin is the only one to be sold by us I still wouldn't fancy us in that league next season
Leicester on 16:49 - Mar 30 with 2621 viewsNW10Hoop

Leicester on 16:10 - Mar 30 by daveB

Austin owes us nothing, not long ago he was being abused from our own fans hence the shut up celebration against Villa at home, he also got a fair bit of stick around last January as well when he had a pop at someone in the R Block after a goal.

He came here to play in the Premier league and would be mad to go back to the championship after how well he has done this season. I'd love him to stay but if we go down he should go.

Yeah I agree he owes us nothing. And in the 25 years I've been going to Loftus road, I do think that many have a tendency to get on some players backs a bit too quickly.

The point I was really making before was that a massive clear out of players including ones we'd love to keep, makes the club feel like it's in a constant state of transition. There's a lot of absolutes spoken on these boards about the way the club should be run. Wage caps, young signings only etc. It's another philosophy change that means another few years of upheaval. Why is slowly evolving into a Premier League team through a combination of keeping our best players and making well thought out signings regardless of age not the order of the day? If we keep the players I mentioned before, we'd have as much chance as anyone to get out of the championship next season.... or stay in the Premiership next year if miracles happen between now and the end of the season.
Leicester on 17:06 - Mar 30 with 2594 viewsBAWHoops

Leicester on 16:30 - Mar 30 by Northernr

The mark of it is what kind of state are they in to bounce straight back? because that's the only way the promoted clubs are going to be able to do this now, the way the money is in the prem and the way it is in the Champ. You're coming from a league where your spending is tightly restricted, into one where the fourth bottom team the previous year will soon be banking in excess of £100m. You're not, as Leicester have found, going to be able to come back into that after a decade away and make a fist of it.

If you can go up, bank the money, buy a few long term signings you don't immediately need to sell on after relegation, go back down, come back, bank the money, buy a few more long term signings, go down, come back then you might have a chance. If you come up, spend all the money, have to sell everything you bought a year later, have to buy a whole new team to get you back, and then repeat then you'll very quickly run your club into the ground.

Whatever happens to Burnley between now and May they're wonderfully placed - the team will lose Ings this summer but that's it, it will stay together. They have banked £30m. They can either stay in the premier league and get another £60m on top of that, or they can go down to the Championship, spend a bit, and potentially come back stronger still.

In theory this should work.

But then look at the two teams we came down with in Wigan and Reading. Both have done poorly since whilst we somehow scraped up.
I remember everyone saying that Reading would do really well as they had a good Championship side with a steady manager

There isn't a science to it. I think each individual club does it differently.
Stoke have spent their way to surviving
Swansea have grown organically
Hull have spent as well
Southampton have married a brilliant youth set up with some big money signings
West Ham spent a lot as well
WBA have bounced between the two divisions using the method you mapped out.

All these clubs stuck to their plan though, they didn't abandon ship halfway through. It helps that they are settled clubs, but they are settled because the culture is correct and everyone knows the type of club that they are.

QPR have no culture, no identity. The closest we have is signing over the hill players, but perhaps we should have embraced that. Perhaps we should have targeted an ageing central midfielder like Ray Wilkins to control games and put a limited worker alongside him (Holloway back in the day, but Barton or Henry may have worked. Even Ryan Mason at Spurs)
Perhaps we should have used a wily poacher up top with flying wingers to help them out. Would Kevin Phillips up top supported by Jamie Mackie, Matt Phillips and Hoilett have been so bad? We ended up with Zamora, Cisse and Andy sodding Johnson!

Point is, we abandon any semblance of a plan halfway through and on a whim. The last plan we had was in 2011 when Warnock put together grizzled old pro's and made them use their collective nous to facilitate Adel Tarrabt

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Leicester on 18:10 - Mar 30 with 2534 viewsNorthernr

Leicester on 17:06 - Mar 30 by BAWHoops

In theory this should work.

But then look at the two teams we came down with in Wigan and Reading. Both have done poorly since whilst we somehow scraped up.
I remember everyone saying that Reading would do really well as they had a good Championship side with a steady manager

There isn't a science to it. I think each individual club does it differently.
Stoke have spent their way to surviving
Swansea have grown organically
Hull have spent as well
Southampton have married a brilliant youth set up with some big money signings
West Ham spent a lot as well
WBA have bounced between the two divisions using the method you mapped out.

All these clubs stuck to their plan though, they didn't abandon ship halfway through. It helps that they are settled clubs, but they are settled because the culture is correct and everyone knows the type of club that they are.

QPR have no culture, no identity. The closest we have is signing over the hill players, but perhaps we should have embraced that. Perhaps we should have targeted an ageing central midfielder like Ray Wilkins to control games and put a limited worker alongside him (Holloway back in the day, but Barton or Henry may have worked. Even Ryan Mason at Spurs)
Perhaps we should have used a wily poacher up top with flying wingers to help them out. Would Kevin Phillips up top supported by Jamie Mackie, Matt Phillips and Hoilett have been so bad? We ended up with Zamora, Cisse and Andy sodding Johnson!

Point is, we abandon any semblance of a plan halfway through and on a whim. The last plan we had was in 2011 when Warnock put together grizzled old pro's and made them use their collective nous to facilitate Adel Tarrabt

We came straight back - just, by the skin of our teeth - losing £70m. Reading and Wigan didn't have £70m to lose on it even if they wanted to.
If our board are happy to come up, buy loads of players, go down, sell them all again, lose £70m and come back up every time that's fine. Otherwise it's no kind of plan.

Three teams have to be relegated. All the premier league teams have varyinbg degrees of rich owner now and three still go down. The mark of the well run ones are whether they bounce back, whether they're able to maintain performance level through a change of manager, whether they are able to maintain performance level through the loss of star players, whether they're losing horrendous amounts of money every year.

Burnley spent £5m on players this year and upgraded their training ground. They currently stand a better chance than us of staying up and we spunked another £20-odd million on players and still have the same sht training ground. Our summer will be all about who's leaving and theirs will be about who's coming in. They'll make a profit this season and we'll make yet another loss.

Leicester are interesting. They'll be somewhere in between. Interesting what they do next season.
Leicester on 23:38 - Mar 30 with 2375 viewskensalriser

Burnley will probably lose Boyd as well as Ings if they go down, he's been excellent this season.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Leicester on 23:47 - Mar 30 with 2362 viewsdsr_burnley

Leicester on 18:10 - Mar 30 by Northernr

We came straight back - just, by the skin of our teeth - losing £70m. Reading and Wigan didn't have £70m to lose on it even if they wanted to.
If our board are happy to come up, buy loads of players, go down, sell them all again, lose £70m and come back up every time that's fine. Otherwise it's no kind of plan.

Three teams have to be relegated. All the premier league teams have varyinbg degrees of rich owner now and three still go down. The mark of the well run ones are whether they bounce back, whether they're able to maintain performance level through a change of manager, whether they are able to maintain performance level through the loss of star players, whether they're losing horrendous amounts of money every year.

Burnley spent £5m on players this year and upgraded their training ground. They currently stand a better chance than us of staying up and we spunked another £20-odd million on players and still have the same sht training ground. Our summer will be all about who's leaving and theirs will be about who's coming in. They'll make a profit this season and we'll make yet another loss.

Leicester are interesting. They'll be somewhere in between. Interesting what they do next season.

Not quite all Premier teams have a rich owner. Burnley don't. They put in about £8m or so between them to buy the shares, and made about the same amount in loans (since repaid) when the budget went awry, but that's all they've got.
Leicester on 06:53 - Mar 31 with 2278 viewsWesty75

Leicester on 09:52 - Mar 30 by daveB

I'm increasingly coming round to that point of view as well.
Leicester on 08:38 - Mar 31 with 2222 viewsSpiritofGregory

Leicester on 16:07 - Mar 30 by adhoc_qpr

No way is Austin wanting to play another year in the Championship having proved he can cut it at prem level.

Soton, Spurs, West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Palace, Newcastle or Everton would all love to have him.

The only question for me is whether we will actually get a good fee for him or sell him off for relative peanuts like £7-8m?

I fear the latter due to his contract only having a year to go and our finances leaving us in a weak negotiating position.

I'd personally try to keep him for the last year of his contract and be willing to lose him for nothing next summer - he got us up single-handedly last time and doesn't seem the type to go on strike.

Might as well keep him if other clubs are going to make derisory offers.
Leicester on 14:34 - Mar 31 with 2111 viewsTGRRRSSS

Reading borrowed £16m recently and got fined £30,000 for this as reported in paper today.
So we can assume they were losing alot of money too.

Leicester spent a fortune since Thai takeover and I think are also in it regards the FFP if they go down.

The focus is on us for many justifiable reasons but others like Reading and Leicetser are getting a very easy ride as the whole focus is on us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024