Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you take this for us? 13:32 - Mar 30 with 3558 viewsEastR

This club has just announced a record annual profit of £18.7m for 2013-14, the fourth consecutive financial year they have made money.
The club's debt remains at £129m, which they say is an interest-free loan from the owner.
Their league record for the past 7 years has been:
Season League FA Cup League Cup
2007-08 12th (Premier League) Fourth round Third round
2008-09 18th - relegated (Premier League) Third round Third round
2009-10 1st - promoted (Championship) Fourth round Third round
2010-11 12th (Premier League) Third round Fourth round
2011-12 5th (Premier League) Fourth round Fourth round
2012-13 16th (Premier League) Third round Third round
2013-14 10th (Premier League) Third round Fourth round

Would you take this for us?

I think most people would say they’d settle for this for QPR. But if you wouldn't, why not?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Would you take this for us? on 13:40 - Mar 30 with 3530 viewssimmo

The promotion, the 2011/12 season and strict wage bill aside, I wouldn't want to be Newcastle. Not that I wouldn't take those finishes in the premiership, but I would prefer to get them as a result of trying our best but falling short, rather than intentionally aim for them.

That year they came 5th surprised everyone and was purely down to them being unknown factors and a few tears in the fabric of reality, other than that Ashley deliberately has them winning nothing but always being able to avoid relegation. He wants between 17th and 7th but no more, doesn't want Europe, doesn't want to sign the replacements for the occasional class players he does get (Cabaye), he just wants the TV money and the stadium to sell/advertise his Sports Direct brand.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Would you take this for us? on 14:18 - Mar 30 with 3487 viewsQPR_John

The extra 32000+ they get in attendance for each home games helps
Would you take this for us? on 14:45 - Mar 31 with 3179 viewsTGRRRSSS

One thing I dont' get about the hatred of AShley is how he's basically derided for running a tight ship not paying out of this world (for football ) wages maximising getting profit.
I don't get why he doesn't want better success in cup because that would generate more money not less and his sides should be good enough to have a good Cup Run and stay in PL in my view.
There is untapped potential, but he's also well within FFP should Newcastle go down and would probably have extra cash to get them back pronto.

Compare it to say the Villa situation (more comparable than us) where Lerner is trying to manage the debts and you start to wonder, in some ways at least quite what AShley has done wrong.
He's done no worse than Newcastle owners since the 70s. IE: win nothing. and has got them more stable than they were before when they did well for 2 seasons basically then that was by and large it.
95-2000 aside Newcastle arent doing any worse really than they did then.
Would you take this for us? on 15:39 - Mar 31 with 3136 viewspaulparker

Unlike Fernades, Ashley has learnt his lessons
when he 1st came in as chairman he was a bit like TF they had players on big contracts not giving a rats
Owen,Smith,Duff,Barton,Martins,Xisco
he got rid of an old school manager in fat sam like TF did with Warnock
he also employed duff managers in Shearer, Keegan, Calderwood,Kinnear
he tried to sit with the fans buy them drinks in the pubs , it didnt work , it was never going to work the pally approach & they went down the same as we have ,
also he inherited a huge debt when he took over the club
thats where the simularities end
since then he has been strict with his managers in who they can buy , he wont sign players over 27 , he sells players for the right price , he has set up a good scouting network and always gets a good deal with sponsers ,
yes he is an unlikable bloke who is shady & yes he does do the odd thing now and then but Newcastle wont go down again and they will never be in debt like they were under shepherd & co
lets not forget the last chairman who made a profit was dear old Tricky dicky thompson
and we hated him ,
if we want to be run as a sensible club then TF needs to look how Ashley learnt his lessons and stick to it no matter how rough it gets

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Would you take this for us? on 15:43 - Mar 31 with 3126 viewssimmo

Any profits announced simply offsets the clubs lack of ambition. He intentionally pursues mid table mediocrity. What the fck is appealing about that?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Would you take this for us? on 15:46 - Mar 31 with 3120 viewsNorthernr

Yes you probably would accept that for QPR in our present state. But if QPR was the only team in a football mad city, with the pick of the local youngsters for both talent and support, attracting 50,000 people to games even when they're doing badly, playing in a state of the art mega-stadium with all the hospitality income it provides, with all those shirt sales etc etc you'd probably expect a bit more. Spend any time in Newcastle on a non match day and you realise just how massive that bloody club is and how ingrained in every aspect of their daily lives it is. I went for a coffee in the cafe at the cathedral prior to heading over to Sunderland this year and there's a picture of Kevin Keegan making his debut (against us) on the bloody shelf next to Jesus - not joking. It could be a football super-power in this country, it's all there for them.

Or it could make lots of money for fat Mike and his cheap sht emporium.
Would you take this for us? on 15:53 - Mar 31 with 3109 viewsTacticalR

A model for us all.

Air hostess clique

Would you take this for us? on 16:10 - Mar 31 with 3092 viewspaulparker

Would you take this for us? on 15:46 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Yes you probably would accept that for QPR in our present state. But if QPR was the only team in a football mad city, with the pick of the local youngsters for both talent and support, attracting 50,000 people to games even when they're doing badly, playing in a state of the art mega-stadium with all the hospitality income it provides, with all those shirt sales etc etc you'd probably expect a bit more. Spend any time in Newcastle on a non match day and you realise just how massive that bloody club is and how ingrained in every aspect of their daily lives it is. I went for a coffee in the cafe at the cathedral prior to heading over to Sunderland this year and there's a picture of Kevin Keegan making his debut (against us) on the bloody shelf next to Jesus - not joking. It could be a football super-power in this country, it's all there for them.

thing is Norf they nearly were a super power when the Halls had the club & Keegan was manager , when shepherd took the club they had a few good years (bobby robson) but then fell in the trap of living beyond there needs, the debt was huge
theses days you need a billionaire who wants to spend the dough who doesnt mind spending 50 million on a player , those people are as rare as rocking horse sh1t
it dont matter how big the club is if you dont have a shiekh or a russian bankrolling you your not going to finish in the top four , if you look at Everton they should be a super power even Liverpool are falling behind and selling their best players
end of the day football is a business now and the premier league is the golden goose,
its all about profits to the owners now and not sitting in the royal box for the FAcup final ,as sad as it is it wont ever change

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Would you take this for us? on 16:25 - Mar 31 with 3063 viewsdaveB

Would you take this for us? on 15:53 - Mar 31 by TacticalR

A model for us all.

It all looks good on paper but they have 2 good months a season where they get enough points to stay up and are dreadful the rest of the time. I'm not sure they are a model to follow.

One bad year and they'll be screwed, like most of the teams in that league. Wigan and Charlton were similar well run clubs to aspire to, look at them now
Would you take this for us? on 16:35 - Mar 31 with 3042 viewsTacticalR

Would you take this for us? on 16:25 - Mar 31 by daveB

It all looks good on paper but they have 2 good months a season where they get enough points to stay up and are dreadful the rest of the time. I'm not sure they are a model to follow.

One bad year and they'll be screwed, like most of the teams in that league. Wigan and Charlton were similar well run clubs to aspire to, look at them now

You might have missed the merest hint of irony in my post.

Actually, on the Monday Night Club last night a Newcastle fan asked why go through all the trouble of watching the football? Why not just get the crowd in and applaud Mike Ashley's balance sheet?

Air hostess clique

Would you take this for us? on 12:08 - Apr 1 with 2900 viewsEastR

And a view into an alternative future:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32138946

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Would you take this for us? on 12:17 - Apr 1 with 2890 viewsPinnerPaul

Would you take this for us? on 15:46 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Good points Clive, its all perspective isn't it.

Most clubs would take Arsenal's record over last 15 years but doesn't stop their fans having a moan every year when they realise they are not going to win the PL (again!)
Would you take this for us? on 12:21 - Apr 1 with 2882 viewsNorthernr

Would you take this for us? on 12:17 - Apr 1 by PinnerPaul

Good points Clive, its all perspective isn't it.

Most clubs would take Arsenal's record over last 15 years but doesn't stop their fans having a moan every year when they realise they are not going to win the PL (again!)

And with the champions league money they bank every year, the academy they have, the training facility they have, the money they have in the bank, the stadium, the hospitality, they players they can attract why shouldn't they moan? Finishing fourth every year and winning nothing is pathetic for a club with all that at its disposal. I'd be bloody moaning too at £1,000 for a season ticket.
Would you take this for us? on 12:32 - Apr 1 with 2861 viewsPinnerPaul

Would you take this for us? on 12:21 - Apr 1 by Northernr

And with the champions league money they bank every year, the academy they have, the training facility they have, the money they have in the bank, the stadium, the hospitality, they players they can attract why shouldn't they moan? Finishing fourth every year and winning nothing is pathetic for a club with all that at its disposal. I'd be bloody moaning too at £1,000 for a season ticket.

Take your point, especially regarding the S/t price, but & don't take this the wrong way, I suspect you'll always be "bloody moaning" - its part of being a fan these days!

On a more serious note, I did post on that Stan Bowles thread , how much simpler life was in those days.

Win = happy - now days fans want so much more - including being happy with the "corporate structure" of a club - wasn't even a remote consideration when I grew up watching football!
Would you take this for us? on 12:36 - Apr 1 with 2850 viewspaulparker

They should do a lot better in the cups , but league wise they are not going to finnish above city or Chelsea , and because of the stadium and supposed FFP they have been playing catch up
if they win the FA cup again and finnish in the top 4 then Gooners cant really complain
can they ?

Would you take this for us? on 12:40 - Apr 1 with 2838 viewsBasingstokeR

Arsenals prices are shocking; £1,014 is the cheapest ST at the Emirates.

Their most expensive ST would get me and the two guys I sit with in G block's ST's paid for plus £11 per home game for food/drink between us!
Would you take this for us? on 14:14 - Apr 1 with 2776 viewsPinnerPaul

Would you take this for us? on 12:40 - Apr 1 by BasingstokeR

Arsenals prices are shocking; £1,014 is the cheapest ST at the Emirates.

Their most expensive ST would get me and the two guys I sit with in G block's ST's paid for plus £11 per home game for food/drink between us!

Expensive yes but I think they do include all games inc CL though.
Would you take this for us? on 15:16 - Apr 1 with 2735 viewsadhoc_qpr

Everything Mike Ashley has done is vindicated for me by the existence of that infamous Joe Kinnear press conference! And in fact everything Joe Kinnear said as either Manager or DoF!

Absolutely fantastic stuff
Would you take this for us? on 17:01 - Apr 1 with 2670 viewsNorthernr

Would you take this for us? on 12:36 - Apr 1 by paulparker

They should do a lot better in the cups , but league wise they are not going to finnish above city or Chelsea , and because of the stadium and supposed FFP they have been playing catch up
if they win the FA cup again and finnish in the top 4 then Gooners cant really complain
can they ?

Have I missed some wonderful, sweeping, unplayable Chelsea and Man City teams knocking around this season? Both (as title contenders go) decent and little more than that - as has been shown in the Champions League. There to be shot at, but there's no incentive to do any shooting - third or fourth is fine. Like I say, if I was paying £1,000 a year for that I'd be cross.

If Chelsea and Manchester City had spent their billion pounds apiece on some unplayable side then fine, but they haven't, as Burnley have shown.
Would you take this for us? on 19:07 - Apr 1 with 2592 viewspaulparker

Would you take this for us? on 17:01 - Apr 1 by Northernr

Have I missed some wonderful, sweeping, unplayable Chelsea and Man City teams knocking around this season? Both (as title contenders go) decent and little more than that - as has been shown in the Champions League. There to be shot at, but there's no incentive to do any shooting - third or fourth is fine. Like I say, if I was paying £1,000 a year for that I'd be cross.

If Chelsea and Manchester City had spent their billion pounds apiece on some unplayable side then fine, but they haven't, as Burnley have shown.

Both clubs have Billionaires bank rolling them , they can pay anything for any player
Who's gonna touch them certaintly not Arsenal , not Liverpool it will take Man Utd another couple of years to get back to where they were and that's even after spunking hundreds of millions on a couple of players , as for Spurs forget them
I do agree that both Chelsea & City are bang average but that just shows how bad the premier league is
As for paying a grand a year In season tickets that's just what's the premier is about, greed
If one fan doesn't renew there are plenty of tourists or Jonny come lackeys who will

Would you take this for us? on 19:57 - Apr 1 with 2560 viewsderbyhoop

Arsenal have virtually paid off the Emirates, so should be in a position to buy the better players from here on. Whether Wenger will buy the right players is an open question. Both Spurs and Liverpool have plans to expand their current capacities. Liverpool have already begun work and Spurs reached an agreement with the one business that was in the way (and suffered a totally unconnected arson attack recently) earlier today.

So, in years to come we may get a more competitive PL. But still only 6 clubs.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Would you take this for us? on 11:21 - Apr 4 with 2424 viewsJonDoeman

It Is What It Is !!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024