Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Ramsey the job 15:31 - Apr 12 with 26214 viewsGetMeRangers

After todays performance he deserves it
Give Ramsey the job on 18:12 - Apr 15 with 2260 viewsPunteR

Give Ramsey the job on 17:01 - Apr 15 by paulparker

im all for patience mate, and im all for a change at the club
i just dont see Ramsey as this brilliant coach as others are making him out to be

He's a proven good coach PP, just not a proven prem manager or championship manager for that matter. He's been given a chance but results haven't gone his way.
But he's done everything that everybody on here was crying out for.
Not being Redknapp, playing Fer central, playing youth,getting Phillips playing, saying all the right things, showing that he cares for the club,showing enthusiasm.
I dunno , i think for this to work for Ramsey, he's going to need the fans on his side,but as this thread proves ,if he doesn't get results he'll probably be gone.
If its all about results then we might as well go for Sam Allardyce.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2015 19:11]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Give Ramsey the job on 18:57 - Apr 15 with 2217 viewsNorthernr

I'm very torn on this.

I like the way he speaks and conducts himself, I like his attitude to training and how players aren't picked if they don't respect their team mates and take it seriously too - but then they're not traits exclusive to Ramsey, they're good traits a lot of managers have, it's just we've been stuck with fcking Redknapp for two years so it seems like some sort of sorcery.

I like the way we've played the last three games, and how we set up for them tactically, and that we're going for it and trying to win. But I thought we were bloody crap against Everton and absolutely shambolic - both in set up and performance - against Palace. A fortnight ago the idea of giving him the job would have been laughed at, are we making a big a decision here based on three games of which we've won one?

I think he's doing well with what he's got available to him, but it's quite direct and long ball. If we go down and he stays are we consigning ourselves to a season of watching us thump it up to a Kenwyne Jones type in Tuesday night games with Rotherham?

The players seem to speak highly of him and we can see things coming off the training ground (West Brom corner) that never happened before. We can also see players improving (Phillips) which never happened before. But, again, is it just that Redknapp is such a fcking lazy cnt that we're surprised to see these things? Wouldn't other managers also bring this? Players change like the fcking wind, particularly at QPR, the captain in particular. Few bad results next season and jungle drums would be beating again.

I think it's important we get somebody who's in it for QPR, and represents the club well, given the selfish prcks we've had before. But if I was the fan of a club rivalling us next year I'd be quite glad if we kept Ramsey because it looks like one of those that ends with a sacking in October doesn't it?

Overall, can't decide.
Give Ramsey the job on 19:41 - Apr 15 with 2181 viewsGetMeRangers

Give Ramsey the job on 12:46 - Apr 15 by gobbles

What is he doing and saying that is so great? Why can't he be criticised? Why do you feel you are entitled to an opinion, but not me, always jumping in with "you work in the media"? I pay for a season ticket.

The very first post of this thread said give him the job because of the Chelsea performance! You say it is a mistake to judge him on results, but you would seemingly rather he be judged on what he says? I'd rather judge him on his decisions and his results. Let's not forget, for some reason he refused to play Vargas for ages, preferring SWP.

The idea of having a caretaker is so that some time can be taken to evaluate who should be the next man. I want the best person for the job, not just the best guy who happened to be in the building when the job became available.

The reason I used such a succinct post to start this thread, was that the Chelsea performance convinced me that he is the right coach/manager. I have never really ever been sold by results, which is convenient as an Rs supporter, but by the performances.

We have come from a low base. Last season was particularly dire until the very end and perhaps . We were almost unwatchable from an entertainment point of view. Most of the games since CR has taken over, I have really enjoyed the football again, despite the results. All that seems to be happening at the club is a move in the right direction, even if we do get relegated

Yet I know nothing. However, the fact that Sir Les has said that he wanted CR as coach/manager speaks volumes to me. I can also see why he might, too, now.

I wish I was more eloquent and could points my thoughts across as Neil SI has, but he makes the case for CR very well. They chime with mine.

I am certainly not convinced any other manager could have come in and done much better than CR, given the circumstances he faced. I also dont believe that, with him at the helm, we are dead buried yet. Back in January it looked quite possible we might not even win again. We were playing all the top half of the table sides at home and with our away record, it looked hardly likely we would pick up anything away from home.

I will admit my feelings are more of a gut feeling than the well laid out ones of Neil. Time will tell, as they say
Give Ramsey the job on 13:05 - Apr 17 with 2024 viewsfrancisbowles

Late to this thread and having read through eight pages of it, if we continue to be as competitive as we have been in most of the games since he took over, I believe CR has earned the right to build a squad and be in charge next season.

Neil makes most of the points and additionally I look at Ramsey's results and see that, Palace aside, we have been in every game and have only lost by the odd goal. This in spite of the poor squad he inherited, terrible luck with injuries, a moment of stupidity and much tougher home fixtures. Yes, he has made mistakes but they have been making decisions on limited options and for the right reasons, eg giving those that show the right attitude a chance and giving others a chance to get it together.

He and Les have a lot of football experience and, I would imagine, have a lot of contacts and knowledge of players that might be suitable for our rebuilding.

They both have made a start but have been fighting a rear guard action, they need to be given a chance to build the football club that Les was selected to build. The club needs to show stability to get the foundations finished and the future direction started.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:40 - Apr 17 with 1984 viewsPommyhoop

I'm saying wait til the end of the season. If we have continued in same vein as we have been doing under CR then yes I'd be happy with him being the boss.The above post and Neil's superb post says it better than I can but I'd be more than happy with CR at the helm.It's funny but some of the people who are deriding CR's results( I don't actually just mean 'results') and saying he will never make a manager were saying'F'ck it it's all over ,let Redknapp keep the job and let him take the consequences, go down with the ship' That was back in November.Ramsey got the job in January .
Sure interview other people but if Les wants him and things keep slowly improving like they are ,I'm more than happy with CR> Prem or Championship.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Give Ramsey the job on 14:09 - Apr 17 with 1946 viewsPhilmyRs

He’s got the job for the rest of the season, worth revisiting this thread then. Will make for interesting reading.

What I like — Honest, seems well drilled tactically, has given fringe players an opportunity, brought the best out of players like Matt Phillips/Fer, all players seem to be putting in a shift under his stewardship. Seems like a likable guy.

Dislikes — Naïve at times. Nothing wrong involving younger players, when they’re ready. Furlong clearly wasn’t, which he’s all but admitted by putting him back in the under 21s and telling him he needs to develop his game. In my view persevering with Furlong beyond Hull away was a mistake which probably cost us at least a point, probably more.

As much as Phillips has been a success, it was also a poor decision to take him off the right wing where he was playing really well. Hopefully that won't happen again.
Vargas, some people think it was good management by setting clear guidelines and not picking him until he started to show the effort required. Personally I think with such a player, there was the potential to involve him sooner and manage him better, which could have brought us one or two more points. I should stress I don’t know the full extent of what happened between the two so not blaming Ramsey entirely for this one but from the outside looking in we really could have benefited from Vargas.

Ugly Football. For my mind, we’re playing more long balls to the front man than we have at any point in the last 4 years. Against some of the bigger names, I’m not totally against this tactic, there’s no point trying to match Chelsea/Arsenal in a short passing game, but the test is games such as West Ham at home. To win that, you feel we’ll need to do a bit more with the ball than go long all the time. Let’s see how we get on. If we lose to West Ham and to Newcastle whilst continuing with the same direct, long ball approach, questions over Ramsey’s approach would be justified.

At the moment I would summarise Ramsey’s performance in change as ok to good. He has the job till the end of the season, at which point we should take stock and make a fair assessment of how he did. Big few weeks ahead both for us and for Ramsey’s management career.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 14:10]
Give Ramsey the job on 14:21 - Apr 17 with 1925 viewsdaveB

I think it's a little unfair to complain about Furlong coming in, we had injuries at the time and he was the only fit right back for the 3 games he played so Ramsey didn't really have any options.

Also on Vargas I think it's good that Ramsey made a stand, if Vargas or anyone isn't bothering in training why should they be trusted to play.
Give Ramsey the job on 14:47 - Apr 17 with 1899 viewsstrikerace

In his defense, Furlong did play a really good game his first outing. LFW was very excited then. With the injuries I didn't mind it, and I like him working youth into the team. His managing against Villa was excellent, even his peers recognized it. We should easily be 3-5 points higher right now with a little luck, and I believe luck evens out so we will get those points back eventually. I agree to wait until the end of the season, but right now I like him and think he's the right guy.

Throwing a wrinkle into this, if we go down then we will lose a lot of players. At that point we will have to start playing youth, which in my mind is another reason to keep him (along with the fact that getting a top flight manager would be harder).

So I say wait until the end of the season. If we go down definitely. If we stay up I am leaning yes, but lets wait and make sure.
Login to get fewer ads

Give Ramsey the job on 14:49 - Apr 17 with 1896 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The situation reminds me of the old chat up line:

'I might not be the best looking fella in here treacle, but I'm the only one talking to you'
Give Ramsey the job on 14:52 - Apr 17 with 1889 viewsWeaverQPR

Could Rambo build a team with the Austin money if we go down? What does 10-12m buy you in the championship?

@WeavQPR

Give Ramsey the job (n/t) on 14:57 - Apr 17 with 1880 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Give Ramsey the job on 14:52 - Apr 17 by WeaverQPR

Could Rambo build a team with the Austin money if we go down? What does 10-12m buy you in the championship?

[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 14:57]
Give Ramsey the job on 15:17 - Apr 17 with 1860 viewsadhoc_qpr

Give Ramsey the job on 14:52 - Apr 17 by WeaverQPR

Not that much!

Although selling Austin, Phillips, Caulker, Fer should give us a decent transfer kitty, plus the wage bill will be massively slashed by all the out of contract players leaving.

Also we may get a few pennies for Adel, Hoillett, Diakite and any other clowns kicking around the squad.
Give Ramsey the job (n/t) on 15:26 - Apr 17 with 1846 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job (n/t) on 14:57 - Apr 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 17 Apr 2015 14:57]

Bournmouth have got by only spending 3.5 million and that was money they got for Grabban , Ipswich havent spent anything, nor Have Brentford or Boro Really ,
its all down to the managers , the scouting etc which is why we need toget the next appointment spot on
12 million is more than enough

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Give Ramsey the job on 15:28 - Apr 17 with 1843 viewsgobbles

Give Ramsey the job on 14:21 - Apr 17 by daveB

I think it's a little unfair to complain about Furlong coming in, we had injuries at the time and he was the only fit right back for the 3 games he played so Ramsey didn't really have any options.

Also on Vargas I think it's good that Ramsey made a stand, if Vargas or anyone isn't bothering in training why should they be trusted to play.

No he wasn't. He was picked in at least one game when Isla was on the bench
Give Ramsey the job on 15:47 - Apr 17 with 1825 viewsPhilmyRs

Give Ramsey the job on 14:21 - Apr 17 by daveB

Unfair for Hull perhaps, options were limited but Ned/Isla/Henry/Hill were all options for both or one of the Arsenal and Palace games which would have meant Furlong not being risked.

I wasn’t one of those that were really impressed by Furlong in that game though. I thought he looked raw, was talked through the game really well by some of the older players and looked unsure positionally. That said, I also saw potential and hoped to see him a Rangers shirt once he’d had more footballing experience.

To play at a young age in the top flight you really need to either demonstrate exceptional ability and be a ‘natural’, or have gained some experience out on loan. Furlong had neither of these things. I’ve not seen much of Michael Doughty, but the little I have he seems better equipped to play for the first team than Furlong does. For me that is largely down to his loan experiences.

Arsenal and Palace targeted Furlong. Bolaise said as much after the game. We were in the Arsenal game and playing well until Sanchez started drifting wide and targeting the kid. He terrorised him. Likewise Bolaise at Palace. I think both in terms of selecting him for these games and not providing him with sufficient protection when he did was a failing of Ramsey’s management which did cost us.

We won’t see Furlong play again this season unless we get relegated with game(s) to spare. That to me suggests Ramsey too knows he has a lot to learn and was not ready for the premiership.
Give Ramsey the job on 16:07 - Apr 17 with 1809 viewsTheChef

One important thing is that Ramsey sees the job as a step up, he sees it as a privilege to be QPR manager and it's an opportunity for him to make his mark, even with a team that is not of his making and that is staring relegation in the face.

We talk about getting the 'right sort' of player in so why should it not be the same for the manager?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Give Ramsey the job on 16:24 - Apr 17 with 1796 viewsdaveB

Give Ramsey the job on 15:28 - Apr 17 by gobbles

Isla was coming back from injury for that game so wasn't fit enough to start
Give Ramsey the job on 16:45 - Apr 17 with 1776 viewsNorthernr

Give Ramsey the job on 15:28 - Apr 17 by gobbles

Isla was only on the bench because he wanted to play and try and help. He was, and still is, injured. Shouldn't have been involved in those games and certainly wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes. Furlong was the only full back we had fit for 90 minutes and personally I thought he did ok - good at Hull, good for a half against Arsenal, then couldn't handle Sanchez (few can) and then got battered at Palace while carrying an injury himself and being offered no protection from SWP in front of him.
Give Ramsey the job on 17:00 - Apr 17 with 1757 viewsPhilmyRs

Give Ramsey the job on 16:45 - Apr 17 by Northernr

Isla was only on the bench because he wanted to play and try and help. He was, and still is, injured. Shouldn't have been involved in those games and certainly wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes. Furlong was the only full back we had fit for 90 minutes and personally I thought he did ok - good at Hull, good for a half against Arsenal, then couldn't handle Sanchez (few can) and then got battered at Palace while carrying an injury himself and being offered no protection from SWP in front of him.

By full back you mean recognised full back?

Ned could have played right back, Karl Henry could have played right back. Hull, options were limited so you can see the logic but with Sanchez lining up for Arsenal and Bolaise at Palace, surely the Manager should have been thinking who would be most capable of dealing with those threats? Ned would have been best, having done decent jobs on Bale and others in the past, whilst Karl Henry rarely lets anyone down. You can also add that both Ned and Henry have played more league matches at full back than Furlong.

And before anyone says it, yes sometimes square pegs in round holes are better options than kids that have never played a league match in their life.

Did he play that well at Hull? I thought he did okay but was talked through the game really well and positionally looked like he needed guiance. It was his poor touch and rash challenge that ultimately led to the Barton red card lest we forget.
Give Ramsey the job on 17:42 - Apr 17 with 1732 viewsterryb

Give Ramsey the job on 17:00 - Apr 17 by PhilmyRs

By full back you mean recognised full back?

Ned could have played right back, Karl Henry could have played right back. Hull, options were limited so you can see the logic but with Sanchez lining up for Arsenal and Bolaise at Palace, surely the Manager should have been thinking who would be most capable of dealing with those threats? Ned would have been best, having done decent jobs on Bale and others in the past, whilst Karl Henry rarely lets anyone down. You can also add that both Ned and Henry have played more league matches at full back than Furlong.

And before anyone says it, yes sometimes square pegs in round holes are better options than kids that have never played a league match in their life.

Did he play that well at Hull? I thought he did okay but was talked through the game really well and positionally looked like he needed guiance. It was his poor touch and rash challenge that ultimately led to the Barton red card lest we forget.

I'm sorry, but are you sugesting that 'arry was right in not playing any youth players?

A lot of us have spent many a year bemoaning playing people out of position instead of our own home grown. Perhaps you wish that we never gave anyone their debut? I also recall many supporters berating Ned when he has played as a full back.

Did he play well at Hull? YES. Only one answer to that. Barton was not sent off due to a poor touch from Furlong. He was sent off for being an idiot.

I also think you will find that Barton was guilty of a lot more poor touches, awful passes & rash challenges than Furlong was in that game.
Give Ramsey the job on 17:52 - Apr 17 with 1719 viewsPhilmyRs

Give Ramsey the job on 17:42 - Apr 17 by terryb

I'm sorry, but are you sugesting that 'arry was right in not playing any youth players?

A lot of us have spent many a year bemoaning playing people out of position instead of our own home grown. Perhaps you wish that we never gave anyone their debut? I also recall many supporters berating Ned when he has played as a full back.

Did he play well at Hull? YES. Only one answer to that. Barton was not sent off due to a poor touch from Furlong. He was sent off for being an idiot.

I also think you will find that Barton was guilty of a lot more poor touches, awful passes & rash challenges than Furlong was in that game.

Saying that when there are alternatives to a kid that's never played league football in his life you should use them, Is very different to saying don't give youth a chance as you've mistakenly done. In fact I've regularly praised the other youngster Doughty as looking a decent player, mainly because he's played some league football. Furlong has never played league football, he's only ever played sub standard youth games. I want him involved once he's developed a bit more via a loan. Harriman and others are more advanced at this stage in terms of football development than Furlong.
Give Ramsey the job on 23:21 - Apr 17 with 1605 viewsPunteR

Give Ramsey the job on 17:52 - Apr 17 by PhilmyRs

Saying that when there are alternatives to a kid that's never played league football in his life you should use them, Is very different to saying don't give youth a chance as you've mistakenly done. In fact I've regularly praised the other youngster Doughty as looking a decent player, mainly because he's played some league football. Furlong has never played league football, he's only ever played sub standard youth games. I want him involved once he's developed a bit more via a loan. Harriman and others are more advanced at this stage in terms of football development than Furlong.

Its not just about Furlong though,or the fact we didn't really have an alternative. It was a statement of intent, that was partly how I saw it anyway.
Its showing all the youth at QPR that they can make the first team ,to show the rest of the senior squad we really are trying to do the right thing.
I don't think it was a decision Ramsey took lightly.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Give Ramsey the job on 00:01 - Apr 18 with 1587 viewsTrom

I've been been warming to him since he started to use the 3-5-2 formation at times. Ultimately it was was what our summer signings set us up to play. It looks more solid but carries a threat. That you have to put down to coaching
Give Ramsey the job on 11:22 - Apr 20 with 1455 viewsMvpeter

I've warmed to him and I appreciate and agree with most comments about the improvement he's brought.

BUT this is only by doing basic football things. Under Redknapp we had a philosophy geared entirely to improving 'arrys bank balance. No thought was gone into anything else. So when a manager starts motivating, choosing tactics etc etc people are obviously going to respond well to it.

Much of the argument to hire him has been as a comparison to the previous two, this is not good business practice. Hughes was and is successful elsewhere but wasn't here. Is that because of the randomness of football? Possibly partly but mainly it's due to a lack of control. Tony Fernandes and Mike Rigg set about signing the team, which they did very very late which is another important factor and Tony Fernandes set about organising the preseason. Hughes really had very little input in that second season. Then luck was against us during the first half dozens games and it was impossible to turn around.

Harry Redknapp has such a big name that he's known as a fraud throughout football. It's only on some fans forums and in the bought and paid for section of the media that he receives any praise. Within the game it's a blunt 'he's an arsehole' or horror stories about trying to shut down the Bournemouth academy.

This is not an argument against names, it's an argument against woeful business practice and big names.

Ramsey does not have more managerial experience than the two names often bandied around Clement and Warburton.

Ramsey has spent the vast majority of his post playing career as a youth team coach. This is in football but that's about where the comparison ends. First team football management has 50 additional skills and responsibilities to worry about.

Ramsey has extremely limited experience in signing players, building a team, gauging when to take risks to do with injuries, trying to win games (not the priority at all at youth level,) preparing older players etc etc.

Warburtons managed and directed successfully at first team level.

Clement has coached and been basically an apprentice manager for 20 years, started when he 23.

This has been their career path since the early stages. They've trained and studied accordingly. Ramsey has trained and studied to become an effective academy coach and later an academy director. I suspect his effectiveness in this role shows in those positives he has been able to transfer to the first team but the fact remains that this is not a role best suited to his abilities.

I'm also greatly worried about Les and Ramsey having an agenda beyond whats best for QPR but I'll wait for more evidence.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Give Ramsey the job on 11:53 - Apr 20 with 1406 viewsQPR1882

Give Ramsey the job on 15:17 - Apr 17 by adhoc_qpr

Not that much!

Although selling Austin, Phillips, Caulker, Fer should give us a decent transfer kitty, plus the wage bill will be massively slashed by all the out of contract players leaving.

Also we may get a few pennies for Adel, Hoillett, Diakite and any other clowns kicking around the squad.

We are due a tidy sum when Liverpool sell Sterling as well. So we have loads of dosh but can't spend any of it because of a transfer ban ( unless the lawyers have sorted that one ? )
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024