Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gallipoli/Armenia 03:16 - Apr 24 with 1879 viewsSonofNorfolt

Today will be remembered as the centenary of Gallipoli. Rightly this will be all over the media.
It is also the date viewed as the start of the Armenian genocide. More than a million murdered by the Turks. Will this be mentioned? Our Govt still doesn't even acknowledge that it took place.
You decide...............
Gallipoli/Armenia on 08:37 - Apr 24 with 1770 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ireland has just this very week also refused to recognise the events as genocide, instead issuing a response sympathising over 'terrible events' etc.

I don't see why Ireland should refuse to do this, and their refusal seems bizarre on the surface, so I can only think that either London or Washington has traded for our services in a diplomatic quid per quo.

Wish I knew more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gallipoli/Armenia on 09:00 - Apr 24 with 1744 viewsozranger

We here in Oz celebrate it on the 25th as that is the day when you Poms sent us Aussies and NZeders to fight in Gallipoli. We call it ANZAC Day (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) Not too sure that the Poms landed a day earlier? Celebrations here will be immense, especially in the major cities and in Canberra.
Gallipoli/Armenia on 09:55 - Apr 24 with 1692 viewsKonk

An Aussie mate lent me A Fortunate Life by Albert Facey. Don’t know if you’ve ever read it, but I thought it was a really interesting read about not just Gallipoli, but life in Australia at the time and Australia’s changing relationship with the UK. Well worth a read.

As for Armenia - I guess the idea's to keep Erdogan and Turkey sweet rather than acknowledge the wrong that was done to Armenia.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Gallipoli/Armenia on 10:40 - Apr 24 with 1657 viewssimmo

My ex's family was from Armenia, she used to go on the march every year - it's ridiculous that they keep denying it, but not a surprise.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Gallipoli/Armenia on 11:59 - Apr 24 with 1585 viewsPommyhoop

ANZAC day is massive over here and it is brilliant.It is drummed into the kids at an early age about the sacrifice those young men gave 100 years ago and it never leaves them.From little pre schoolers on parades and dawn services to young adults on their uni gap years or backpackers who flock to Gallipolli every year .I don't think the PC brigade will ever even bother to try and get it watered down or re written over here.Its far too entrenched and its nice to see.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Gallipoli/Armenia on 12:18 - Apr 24 with 1566 viewsMrSheen

Countries such as France and Switzerland that have recognised the genocide have begun prosecuting "genocide-deniers", both Turks and historians. I imagine a lot of countries don't want to be drawn into that, given the stresses it would cause internationally and internally and the consequences for the courts. Either the system is dragged into communal disputes in the name of delivering justice in the name of people who were killed 100 years and 2,000 miles away or it is discredited for disregarding new laws to avoid prosecuting historians for expressing views that might be controversial but should not be illegal. By the way, I don't agree with prosecuting holocaust deniers.
Gallipoli/Armenia on 12:19 - Apr 24 with 1563 viewsPommyhoop

Gallipoli/Armenia on 11:59 - Apr 24 by Pommyhoop

ANZAC day is massive over here and it is brilliant.It is drummed into the kids at an early age about the sacrifice those young men gave 100 years ago and it never leaves them.From little pre schoolers on parades and dawn services to young adults on their uni gap years or backpackers who flock to Gallipolli every year .I don't think the PC brigade will ever even bother to try and get it watered down or re written over here.Its far too entrenched and its nice to see.

One small point though Some Aussies have to be gently reminded that it wasn't just ANZAC's who were sent over the top to their slaughter by the inept Allied high command at that time. The evil Pommy generals killed far more Pommys than Australians and Kiwis on that disastrous campaign. The French get forgotten too ..They lost untold.
Like a saying of the time said ' Lions led by Donkeys.'

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Gallipoli/Armenia on 12:57 - Apr 24 with 1514 viewsSonofNorfolt

Gallipoli/Armenia on 12:19 - Apr 24 by Pommyhoop

One small point though Some Aussies have to be gently reminded that it wasn't just ANZAC's who were sent over the top to their slaughter by the inept Allied high command at that time. The evil Pommy generals killed far more Pommys than Australians and Kiwis on that disastrous campaign. The French get forgotten too ..They lost untold.

Yep, more than three times more British casualties than Anzacs.
Blame a certain W.Churchill, voted the Greatest Briton ever, Kunt.
Login to get fewer ads

Gallipoli/Armenia on 13:10 - Apr 24 with 1488 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gallipoli/Armenia on 08:37 - Apr 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Ireland has just this very week also refused to recognise the events as genocide, instead issuing a response sympathising over 'terrible events' etc.

I don't see why Ireland should refuse to do this, and their refusal seems bizarre on the surface, so I can only think that either London or Washington has traded for our services in a diplomatic quid per quo.

Wish I knew more.

Is Turkey is a major importer of Guinness, Soda Bread, and Kerigold?
Gallipoli/Armenia on 13:15 - Apr 24 with 1476 viewsSydneyRs

Gallipoli/Armenia on 12:19 - Apr 24 by Pommyhoop

This.

Aussies apparently also invented courage and are the only people to help each other out in a crisis if you believe the media.

Too many see ANZAC day as a big piss up rather than give it the respect it deserves. As for bright yellow fanatics hoodies at the Gallipoli service, words fail me!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2015 13:17]
Gallipoli/Armenia on 13:17 - Apr 24 with 1462 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gallipoli/Armenia on 13:15 - Apr 24 by SydneyRs

This.

Aussies apparently also invented courage and are the only people to help each other out in a crisis if you believe the media.

Too many see ANZAC day as a big piss up rather than give it the respect it deserves. As for bright yellow fanatics hoodies at the Gallipoli service, words fail me!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2015 13:17]

If we are playing tragedy top trumps, didn't Oz lose the highest percentage of its population in the war?
Gallipoli/Armenia on 13:21 - Apr 24 with 1461 viewswillis1980

its pretty disgraceful that this hasnt been declared a genocide officially (japans constant refusal to apologise for war crimes in pretty offkey too). I was watching france24 news this morning the feature in armenia ran for over 30mins and didnt get much coverage over here in comparison. shameful. it might be a combination of trying to keep the turks on side and also not throwing up the whole muslim v christian thing. who knows.
Gallipoli/Armenia on 15:06 - Apr 24 with 1383 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Just to put this into context:

6,000 - 8,000 (mostly men) killed in aftermath of fall of Srebrenica = genocide

Approximately 1 MILLION (men, women, children of all ages) Armenians exterminated by Turks during and after WW1 = terrible events.

Hypocrisy much?
Gallipoli/Armenia on 16:07 - Apr 24 with 1346 viewshoof_hearted

ISIL would love to be able to do something similar.
Gallipoli/Armenia on 19:59 - Apr 24 with 1250 viewsHollowayRanger

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024