Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are they now.... 12:19 - Apr 24 with 2225 viewsGloucs_R

Some of the youngsters we released:

Tom Hitchcock - MK Dons and Fleetwood this season.
Ángelo Balanta - Bristol Rovers, thats the conference!
Mo Sharif - Bradford then Hemel Hempsted

Anyone else?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Where are they now.... on 12:51 - Apr 24 with 2126 viewsstevec

Shhh. There's people on here who'll be wanting them in the team tomorrow.
Where are they now.... on 12:55 - Apr 24 with 2107 viewsPommyhoop

Where are they now.... on 12:51 - Apr 24 by stevec

Pssst. I'd rather 'H' back. Now he really had an eye for a bargain veteran.Players manager , can't go wrong..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Where are they now.... on 12:59 - Apr 24 with 2083 viewsstevec

Where are they now.... on 12:55 - Apr 24 by Pommyhoop

Pssst. I'd rather 'H' back. Now he really had an eye for a bargain veteran.Players manager , can't go wrong..

Now you're talking my language. Thought I was on me own there for a minute.
Where are they now.... on 13:23 - Apr 24 with 2027 viewsthemodfather

our failure to develop or utilise young players is disgraceful.
our failure to keep the cream of them too is disgraceful ( parrett and sterling come to mind)
Where are they now.... on 13:43 - Apr 24 with 1982 viewsHunterhoop

Where are they now.... on 12:51 - Apr 24 by stevec

This "logic" that "well, look where they've ended up; they clearly weren't good enough for us given they could only get a League 1/2 club...." is utterly stupid.

If WE - the club who brought them through the ranks - don't play them at our level, and let them go, of course they will end up at a lower level. No one else at our level has seen them play at our level (because we never played them) and will make the assumption that we didn't think they were good enough so why should they. Clubs lower down the pyramid have fewer options, less money and will take a punt.

However, this does now mean they weren't or aren't good enough, had they been given the chance at our level. Look at Charlie Austin - let go by Reading as a youth (ie. not given a chance), ended up in non-league....does that mean he wasn't good enough? He ended up in the Prem. There's countless other examples like this.

Ultimately, the club they end up at is down to whether WE thought they were good enough not whether they actually are good enough.

You need to wait for their career to come to a close before we make a call on whether they were good enough. Even then, luck plays a huge role in whether they had the right opportunities.

We'l get some decisions on youngsters right and some wrong. And most won't be good enough.

But, we've spent the last few years not even giving ourselves something to think about or base our decision on. No one who's playing well in the U21s or reserves has been given a fair chance, until CR came along. For a club of our size and revenue that is an utterly ludicrous approach.
Where are they now.... on 13:56 - Apr 24 with 1937 viewsWatford_Ranger

The real shame with Mo Sharif is that we never got the chance to sing some sort of rendition of 'I shot Mo Sharif'.
Where are they now.... on 14:02 - Apr 24 with 1913 viewsShotKneesHoop

Where are they now.... on 13:56 - Apr 24 by Watford_Ranger

The real shame with Mo Sharif is that we never got the chance to sing some sort of rendition of 'I shot Mo Sharif'.

...But I did not shoot the Deputy Dawg (Saggy chops Pinoccio.)

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Where are they now.... on 14:15 - Apr 24 with 1884 viewsderbyhoop

I give you

Giles Coke

Released by us without a senior game, decent career in Championship/L1.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Where are they now.... on 14:37 - Apr 24 with 1836 viewsJonDoeman

Where are they now.... on 14:15 - Apr 24 by derbyhoop

I give you

Giles Coke

Released by us without a senior game, decent career in Championship/L1.

That's not to be sniffed at.

It Is What It Is !!

Where are they now.... on 15:04 - Apr 24 with 1781 viewsPBLOCK

The fact is our Youth system has been pretty awful for a number of years. The last player who really came through and made a decent impact was Langley - as in regular starter decent amount of appearances etc. The problem will be assisted if we were to gain academy status although that is only part of the problem. Taking a few teams out of the equation there aren't many clubs that have a conveyor belt of talent coming through. A large part of this is that managers at pretty much any level in the league system are no more than 5-6 defeats on the spin away from the sack. This means there is often a right here right now policy without looking too much to the future.

I disagree that selling Parrett and Sterling was scandalous. We got about £1 million for Parrett from memory who has subsequently gone on to not do too much (at Stevenage now I think) and Sterling well a club like us will always struggle if a club like Liverpool come knocking. If he does ago we could be in line for a substantial windfall so whilst disappointing I wouldn't say it is scandalous.

The biggest scandal in all of this is the larger clubs hoovering up talent and hoarding them. That lot down the road in their recent U21 cup game vs Man Ciy had something like 8 homegrown players. What's the betting that they make less than 20 1st team appearances for them between them. Probably quite high.

Nothing would please me more than to see someone like Grego -Cox come through and tear it up and I think if Ramsey remains in some capacity we may see a few more get a chance, but whether they are good enough is another story.
Where are they now.... on 15:56 - Apr 24 with 1727 viewsJordanFoster

Truth is the youth setup was criminally under-funded for years, it probably one of the lowest budgets in London - money is now being put into it.

But to think you will see the effect of that this year or next is naive at best, maybe 5-10 years down the line players will begin to come through of a higher level.
Where are they now.... on 17:14 - Apr 24 with 1637 viewsJamie

Big Pat Kanyuka playing in the Thai 2nd division

Josh Parker playing for Red Star Belgrade
Where are they now.... on 10:27 - Apr 25 with 1337 viewsganjR

Where are they now.... on 17:14 - Apr 24 by Jamie

Big Pat Kanyuka playing in the Thai 2nd division

Josh Parker playing for Red Star Belgrade

Dylan Carreiro went to Dundee. Think he was loaned out.
Emmanuel Monthe joined a conference south team, from what I remember.
Where are they now.... on 10:49 - Apr 25 with 1315 viewscaliforniahoop

Life is strange and luck plays more of a part than ability, once you gets run of game in professional football, it's relatively easy to continue playing for one of the 92.

In Hitchcock's case, he was unlucky that HR was the manager in his breakthrough season, HR was never going to play him as it would have stopped him bringing in the four loans he did that January.

As for luck playing a vital part, after Hitchcock scored that goal, if he was given other opportunities, and scored a few more, his confidence would have gone through the roof, and we would have had a natural goal scorer on our hands!

He maybe struggling right now but it would not surprise me to see him make it, a natural finisher!
Where are they now.... on 11:02 - Apr 25 with 1283 viewsHollowayRanger

we need to look at the likes of palace and Southampton who continue to find and play new young players ,as it stands what kid would want to come to QPR when told the last QPR young player to really make a break though here was Richard Langley over 10 years ago

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024