Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maverick Footballers 07:27 - Apr 25 with 6787 viewsdaveB

Well worth having a look ay a new series called Maverick Footballers on ITV4 from the 5th May. Shows loads of old footage of the likes of Bowles, Marsh, Worthington, Gazza, Currie etc.

Trailer for it here

Maverick Footballers on 08:12 - Apr 25 with 5128 viewsPetros

Thanks should be good. They would all be lambasted today for their lack of work rate, unsuitability as role models, flared trousers etc etc.
Maverick Footballers on 08:59 - Apr 25 with 5081 viewspeejaybee

Maverick Footballers on 08:12 - Apr 25 by Petros

Thanks should be good. They would all be lambasted today for their lack of work rate, unsuitability as role models, flared trousers etc etc.

They entertained you more than Linda Lovelace.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Maverick Footballers on 09:08 - Apr 25 with 5073 viewsenfieldargh

Of course we had them on tap at loftus road but when the opposition had one in their ranks I used to pray that he never got the ball.

I remember one game we played at home to Bolton , Frank worthington scored a worldly. think we went one up and lost 1-4.

In the 70s-80s to me it felt that most teams had one bloke in their team who could really hurt you (then other cloggers who would just hurt our players).

Not a maverick persay but a player who made me sh!t myself when he got the ball was Leighton James at burnley. He would always roast our full backs. Shame when he came to us he kept losing his contact lenses on the pitch and was total crap.

Tony currie was beautiful to watch, when we signed him I thought we had signed a new God to follow on from Rodney and Stan.

These Mavericks shone out because all around them was a sea of mud and players like Ron Harris, most of the Leeds team, Dave Mackay, etc...

All the Mavericks they will probably show will be skillfull and with a personality that they could express in their game but none of them had the skill possessed by Adel Taraabt, what a waster he has become.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Maverick Footballers on 10:19 - Apr 25 with 4984 viewsconnell10

Maverick Footballers on 09:08 - Apr 25 by enfieldargh

Of course we had them on tap at loftus road but when the opposition had one in their ranks I used to pray that he never got the ball.

I remember one game we played at home to Bolton , Frank worthington scored a worldly. think we went one up and lost 1-4.

In the 70s-80s to me it felt that most teams had one bloke in their team who could really hurt you (then other cloggers who would just hurt our players).

Not a maverick persay but a player who made me sh!t myself when he got the ball was Leighton James at burnley. He would always roast our full backs. Shame when he came to us he kept losing his contact lenses on the pitch and was total crap.

Tony currie was beautiful to watch, when we signed him I thought we had signed a new God to follow on from Rodney and Stan.

These Mavericks shone out because all around them was a sea of mud and players like Ron Harris, most of the Leeds team, Dave Mackay, etc...

All the Mavericks they will probably show will be skillfull and with a personality that they could express in their game but none of them had the skill possessed by Adel Taraabt, what a waster he has become.

I love maverick footballers. That's why I like Adel so much!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Maverick Footballers on 10:37 - Apr 25 with 4959 viewsessextaxiboy

Sorry cant agree with that .Putting aside my Rangers bias for Marsh and Bowles ,Gazza was a fantastic world class player in the Prem, SPL, Serie A , the Euros and the World Cup . Maverick ? he is a complete loony tune who still only has to blow his nose to get into every paper in the country . His ex wife and kids ride on his name ...Adel if he isnt careful will be finished ..what a waste .
Maverick Footballers on 13:51 - Apr 25 with 4864 viewsNov77

I remember that game against Bolton, worthington raced through and lobbed parkes at the school end. Think we lost 3-1 though.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Maverick Footballers on 14:03 - Apr 25 with 4850 viewsNov77

The trouble is finding footage that everyone hasn't already seen a million times.
every game is filmed now, imagine how many great goals were scored by the likes of Best etc that will never have been seen by anyone other than those who were there.

Marsh scored over a hundred goals for us yet I doubt there are more than 6 or 7 that were filmed.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Maverick Footballers on 10:12 - Apr 26 with 4715 viewsDorse

"This week on ITV4 plus 1 divided by the number you first thought of, episode 72 of 'Maverick Footballers', where we celebrate... erm.... wait a minute, who've we got this week? Karl Ready, it says here, and some photos of a bloke who looks like that one who had the dodgy hair what looked like a pineapple. With the usual talking heads from Rufus bloody Hound and Jamie Theakston. Look, stay tuned. Please. My job's hanging by a thread here and I owe Jimmy the Greek five hundred sovs before Wednesday or he's going to kill my dog'"
[Post edited 26 Apr 2015 10:13]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Maverick Footballers on 10:18 - Apr 26 with 4701 viewsDejR_vu

Maverick Footballers on 08:12 - Apr 25 by Petros

Ours can't even get on the pitch in a game that pretty much relegates us. 21st Century Premier League; best league in the world? Turgid.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Maverick Footballers on 22:37 - Apr 26 with 4579 viewsRfromItaly

Looks very interesting, thanks. I interviewed Marsh for a chapter in a book about football mavericks, which will be published in the US later this year. I'll be fascinated to see what this series contributes to the debates about some great football characters, which I feel we need to get back to at Rangers after taking my family to the game on Saturday - we need a maverick to provide some flair, create & beat players. Maybe Adel will get himself fit & focused for this role in the championship!?

Author of book about Venice, and football articles including personal QPR interviews with Bowles and Marsh. See website: www.dstandish.com

Maverick Footballers on 00:11 - Apr 27 with 4547 viewsTacticalR

@ enfieldargh 'In the 70s-80s to me it felt that most teams had one bloke in their team who could really hurt you (then other cloggers who would just hurt our players).'

That's a good point. Thirty years ago even the average teams used to have one or two exceptional players. Today the hoovering up of talent not only fails to develop talent, but deprives the average teams of talent. In fact, it's developed into a crazy system where people are effectively paid not to develop their talent.

Air hostess clique

Maverick Footballers on 09:12 - Apr 27 with 4470 viewsDiscodroids

a few of my mavericks..

simon stainrod
rick holden..oldham
terry curran..sheff wed
lee trundle..swansea
john robertson..forest
andy ritchie (morton) a player im sure karl could tell us all about.
alan devenshire (west ham)
ricky hill (luton)

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Maverick Footballers on 09:51 - Apr 27 with 4450 viewskarl

Maverick Footballers on 09:12 - Apr 27 by Discodroids

a few of my mavericks..

simon stainrod
rick holden..oldham
terry curran..sheff wed
lee trundle..swansea
john robertson..forest
ricky hill (luton)

Although similar age to many on here (48) I grew up on the Isle of Man and therefore had only small insight into Scottish league football till I moved back to Orkney in 1990.
I do know of Ritchie and his reputation but my maverick from Scottish football was Davie Cooper never seemed to care but was beautiful player. At Hibs we too had Moroccans (Zemmama and Benji) who were brilliant on their day (Benji was going to play for Real...) but were so often unfit, unavailable due to Ramadan or some such and often just didn't seem to care when on the pitch (more Benji than Zemmama) wasted players who were indulged by Tony Mowbray but lost a good career
Maverick Footballers on 10:02 - Apr 27 with 4437 viewsDiscodroids

Maverick Footballers on 09:51 - Apr 27 by karl

Although similar age to many on here (48) I grew up on the Isle of Man and therefore had only small insight into Scottish league football till I moved back to Orkney in 1990.
I do know of Ritchie and his reputation but my maverick from Scottish football was Davie Cooper never seemed to care but was beautiful player. At Hibs we too had Moroccans (Zemmama and Benji) who were brilliant on their day (Benji was going to play for Real...) but were so often unfit, unavailable due to Ramadan or some such and often just didn't seem to care when on the pitch (more Benji than Zemmama) wasted players who were indulged by Tony Mowbray but lost a good career

cooper was a lovely little player, i seem to remember him scoring a famous goal when he dribble the ball around 5 or 6 players ??

taking the maverick show on the road,

hansi muller , midfielder for west germany , stuggart and inter
fernando redondo argentinian,ac milan, r madrid
bernd schuster, west germany real madrid, barcelona
enzo francescoli, uruguay river plate ., marseille,torino
hans krankel, austria, barcelona

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Maverick Footballers on 10:07 - Apr 27 with 4433 viewspaulparker

Maverick Footballers on 09:12 - Apr 27 by Discodroids

a few of my mavericks..

simon stainrod
rick holden..oldham
terry curran..sheff wed
lee trundle..swansea
john robertson..forest
ricky hill (luton)

Always rated Ricky Holden at Oldham, surprised he never got a big move as he used to tear apart teams in Oldhams cup runs in the late eighties

England always seemed to have plenty of talented players but didn't know really what to do with them, anyone with any talent is shunted to the wing, still happens today

Will add to your list
Merton
Le tisser
wegerle
Tony galvin
Adel
McAvennie
Byrne
Darren currie
Kingkladski ( Man City)
Vince Hilare
Laurie Cunningham

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Maverick Footballers on 10:14 - Apr 27 with 4423 viewskarl

Maverick Footballers on 10:07 - Apr 27 by paulparker

Always rated Ricky Holden at Oldham, surprised he never got a big move as he used to tear apart teams in Oldhams cup runs in the late eighties

England always seemed to have plenty of talented players but didn't know really what to do with them, anyone with any talent is shunted to the wing, still happens today

Will add to your list
Merton
Le tisser
wegerle
Tony galvin
Adel
McAvennie
Byrne
Darren currie
Kingkladski ( Man City)
Vince Hilare
Laurie Cunningham

Holden is now a sports physio in the Isle of Man, he became a coach/manager in local football for a while and made huge improvements to the game there.
David Harvey (ex Leeds keeper) moved to Orkney and worked as a postman, he helped push Orkneys alcohol intake to the top of the league
Maverick Footballers on 10:16 - Apr 27 with 4410 viewsDiscodroids

Maverick Footballers on 10:07 - Apr 27 by paulparker

Will add to your list
Merton
Le tisser
wegerle
Tony galvin
Adel
McAvennie
Byrne
Darren currie
Kingkladski ( Man City)
Vince Hilare
Laurie Cunningham

very good list my old mate, forgot about darren currie, i may have to add john moncur to that list also.

Maverick Footballers on 10:21 - Apr 27 with 4403 viewsAitch

Maverick Footballers on 00:11 - Apr 27 by TacticalR

@ enfieldargh 'In the 70s-80s to me it felt that most teams had one bloke in their team who could really hurt you (then other cloggers who would just hurt our players).'

That's a good point. Thirty years ago even the average teams used to have one or two exceptional players. Today the hoovering up of talent not only fails to develop talent, but deprives the average teams of talent. In fact, it's developed into a crazy system where people are effectively paid not to develop their talent.

The youngsters get hoovered up & paid a fortune to never play for the Premiership teams. A lot more than they'd get playing first team football for any teams in the league. It never used to be that way imo which is why you'd see a lot more of the skilful types around the league.

TPFKA Stans_Left_Foot

Maverick Footballers on 10:27 - Apr 27 with 4387 viewspaulparker

Maverick Footballers on 10:16 - Apr 27 by Discodroids

very good list my old mate, forgot about darren currie, i may have to add john moncur to that list also.

Always thought we should have bought him from Barnet but then again I thought the same of Ricky otto when he was at Southend

John moncur was good at Swindon and another player we should have been in for in the early nineties would of been great with Wilkins & Barker

As for Hibs Karl , John Collins was always a player I loved watching another player I would have loved to seen at Rangers

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Maverick Footballers on 10:31 - Apr 27 with 4379 viewskarl

Scottish football always used to produce wingers, some of whom were 'Mavericks' like Jinky Johnston, Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Cooper, Robertson etc and there is a sign that these players may be making a comeback after a dearth in recent years. MacKay-Steven is a good example with Matthew Kennedy, ex Kilmarnock now at Cardiff, and Chris Johnston at Kilmarnock looking good to develop.
The two Kilmarnock boys had a good development under Kenny Shiels, he can be an abrasive character and is without a club atm but I would be interested as to what the NI contingent on here think of his role in the current national sides successes since he was their youth coach for many years?
Currently in a youth role for Scotland and i'm hoping for similar success. As has been alluded to it takes a manager willing to play these flair players before we can enjoy them
Maverick Footballers on 10:31 - Apr 27 with 4378 viewsDiscodroids

anyone remember ian bogie from millwall/newcastle ..he was fkn class, a small chubby little fker who loved a piss up and a good pal of gazza..

saw him a few times at upton park, ran the show when ever he was there .head and shoulders above quality players like ian bishop and stuart slater .

i seem to remember a very skillful watford and newcastle striker called malcom allen who had a rep for gambling and a richard the third .

sure he was kevin keegans first signing at newcastle.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 10:39]

Maverick Footballers on 10:37 - Apr 27 with 4367 viewsDiscodroids

Maverick Footballers on 10:31 - Apr 27 by karl

Scottish football always used to produce wingers, some of whom were 'Mavericks' like Jinky Johnston, Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Cooper, Robertson etc and there is a sign that these players may be making a comeback after a dearth in recent years. MacKay-Steven is a good example with Matthew Kennedy, ex Kilmarnock now at Cardiff, and Chris Johnston at Kilmarnock looking good to develop.
The two Kilmarnock boys had a good development under Kenny Shiels, he can be an abrasive character and is without a club atm but I would be interested as to what the NI contingent on here think of his role in the current national sides successes since he was their youth coach for many years?
Currently in a youth role for Scotland and i'm hoping for similar success. As has been alluded to it takes a manager willing to play these flair players before we can enjoy them

for christ sake karl , get a job as a QPR scout north of the boarder. if you dont im gonna collate your posts and send em to the club! .

raplhie milne was a player in his day for dundee utd wast he mate.

what a side that 80's dundee utd team was..narey, kirkwood, sturrock, bannon, milne, hegarty to name but a few.

i seem to have morphed into ron manager ..marvelous.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 10:40]

Maverick Footballers on 10:46 - Apr 27 with 4353 viewspaulparker

Maverick Footballers on 10:31 - Apr 27 by Discodroids

anyone remember ian bogie from millwall/newcastle ..he was fkn class, a small chubby little fker who loved a piss up and a good pal of gazza..

saw him a few times at upton park, ran the show when ever he was there .head and shoulders above quality players like ian bishop and stuart slater .

i seem to remember a very skillful watford and newcastle striker called malcom allen who had a rep for gambling and a richard the third .

sure he was kevin keegans first signing at newcastle.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 10:39]

Malcolm Allen was the one who missed a last minute penalty against us at St James park
When we won 2-1

Bishop was another player I liked who I thought could of done a job here

As for bogie I recall him , there's a player at middlesborough (Tomlin) who is the same build but who has superb touch & vision , he should of got the championship player of the year this year rather than bamford

Maverick Footballers on 11:02 - Apr 27 with 4332 viewskarl

Maverick Footballers on 10:27 - Apr 27 by paulparker

Always thought we should have bought him from Barnet but then again I thought the same of Ricky otto when he was at Southend

John moncur was good at Swindon and another player we should have been in for in the early nineties would of been great with Wilkins & Barker

As for Hibs Karl , John Collins was always a player I loved watching another player I would have loved to seen at Rangers

Yes Collins was a great player and briefly manager for Hibs. My impression of him was that he was a good footballer who absolutely maximised his ability by being a dedicated athlete, he seemed to improve at every club he went to till retiring.
Legend has it that as Hibs manager at 40 (?) he was beating all the players in fitness tests, possibly why he lost the dressing room but he tried to implement a tough diet and training regime on a group who had enjoyed the relative easy environment that Tony Mowbray had relative success with, I don't think Collins would have had too many mavericks in his team long term
Maverick Footballers on 11:07 - Apr 27 with 4327 viewsDiscodroids

Maverick Footballers on 10:46 - Apr 27 by paulparker

Malcolm Allen was the one who missed a last minute penalty against us at St James park
When we won 2-1

Bishop was another player I liked who I thought could of done a job here

As for bogie I recall him , there's a player at middlesborough (Tomlin) who is the same build but who has superb touch & vision , he should of got the championship player of the year this year rather than bamford

were wasted on here mate !.

time to give bondy and the watchtower door to door salesman their p45's .

my first team selection for liverpool away this weekend would be the Yugolsavia side of the early nineties.. full to cu nt bursting of skilLful mavericks and racial purity war criminals

most of that side played for the serie A giants and were pretty handy in balaclavas and taking out UN flight reconnaissance missions with surface to air missiles.

beats frank worthingtons rather passe efforts of rifiling diana doors knickers and a game of bar skittles with fred trueman before a trip to portman road

that'll do for me mullers.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 11:08]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024