Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths 16:16 - May 22 with 3278 viewsGloucs_R

Karl or anyone else that follows Scottish football....

How good is Leigh Griffiths and what price would he be sold at and has Gary Hooper been unlucky at Norwich or is he just not very good? He has a 1 in 3 record at Norwich still.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 16:33 - May 22 with 3231 viewskarl

I would love Leigh Griffiths at Loftus Road but just not sure how it would pan out on a personal level for him. He's got 4 kids by 3 different mothers (definitely 2 but I'm pretty sure it's 3) and when he was at Wolves he just didn't seem to settle and was homesick being the reason he was on loan at Hibs despite having scored quite regularly for Wolves. Had access issues with his kids and it all seems settled now he's living in Scotland again, he's a big Hibs fan and still goes to every game he can with his mates so I'm really not sure he actually would want a move?
He was signed by Celtic for a reported £1m and that is being quoted as the price Leeds will pay for him but why Celtic would sell for that I'm not sure as he has found good form for them and scored a lot in the last few weeks of the season, they wouldn't replace him for the same money I'm sure of that.
I am 100% biased but he's an old school footballer who's just off the terraces and having a ball, loved him at Hibs and really hope he goes on to have a Scotland career now, my kids absolutely love him as there hasn't been many Hibs heroes for them to have recently.
Hooper is a steady player although i don't think one up front suits him but I do rate him and he should get goals at our level but would he be cheap? I doubt it tbh
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 16:38 - May 22 with 3214 viewstheQPRking

How about Scott Allan? He seems a gifted centre mid, I know he had a brief spell down south before, he looked class when you turned Rangers over at home 4 nil earlier this season....

Mike
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 16:54 - May 22 with 3168 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What ever happens to Ranger's John Fleck? Was the next best thing a few years ago????
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 17:28 - May 22 with 3098 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 16:54 - May 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

What ever happens to Ranger's John Fleck? Was the next best thing a few years ago????

John Fleck was at Coventry and being quite ordinary I think. Never get good value for money from Old Firm as their odd youth product is over hyped and way over priced as a result.
Mike, Allan is mentioned a couple of times on the P45 thread. Personally if Hibs go up I hope he stays at Easter Road and develops there but if Hibs fail with the playoffs I would love him at QPR and the Championship would be a good level for him to build on, has been playing really well and imo has a Gazza style of ghosting past opposition midfield, lovely to watch when he's in full flow, wouldn't want him to spend another season in Scotlands 2nd Tier much as it would be to Hibs benefit
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 21:23 - May 22 with 2883 viewskomradkirk

It just wouldnt be a transfer window without a rejection from Hooper.
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 02:44 - May 23 with 2743 viewsFredManRave

Karl, would you recommend Goodwillie?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 05:09 - May 23 with 2719 viewsexiled_dictator

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 02:44 - May 23 by FredManRave

and the winner for most ambiguous question of the week goes to ......

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 05:24 - May 23 with 2714 viewsJAPRANGERS

just ask Holloway..........
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 08:13 - May 23 with 2651 viewskarl

Haha.
No I don't rate him very highly tbh. He's strong but lacks a touch of pace and isn't regular enough goalscorer, has been in and out of Aberdeen squad this season. There aren't many strikers that stand out atm so Leigh Griffiths does look like a good option especially if £1m is a correct fee.
Antony Stokes from Celtic is trouble and wouldn't go near him, did well on the pitch for Hibs and most of the time for Celtic but always involved in some Irish republican trouble of some kind it seems, been mentioned in a court trial this week about being asked if his dad could supply guns for an attempted killing in Glasgow!
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 09:30 - May 23 with 2612 views00calben

Leigh Griffiths couldn't be further from the 'right sort'.

Scott Allan is a good player, was very surprised he ended up at Hibs last season. Far too good for them.
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 11:41 - May 23 with 2529 viewsganjR

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 08:13 - May 23 by karl

Haha.
No I don't rate him very highly tbh. He's strong but lacks a touch of pace and isn't regular enough goalscorer, has been in and out of Aberdeen squad this season. There aren't many strikers that stand out atm so Leigh Griffiths does look like a good option especially if £1m is a correct fee.
Antony Stokes from Celtic is trouble and wouldn't go near him, did well on the pitch for Hibs and most of the time for Celtic but always involved in some Irish republican trouble of some kind it seems, been mentioned in a court trial this week about being asked if his dad could supply guns for an attempted killing in Glasgow!

Here's a left field choice, but I'd love a look at Lee Erwin of Motherwell.
Out of contract and has impressed me at 'Well and Arbroath (on loan) before that.
Would love Griffiths down here, but makes sense that he would want to stay up in Scotland.
Stokes, I wouldn't want thanks.
Ciftci may be on the move this summer and would cost, what £2.5m?
Hearts must have a good player or 2.... Wilson is out of contract and Walker looked ok against us, but I choose not to watch their matches, so fck knows. Zeefiuk looks like another Nade..... '10 men couldnae carry Nade, 10 men and a forklift truck, couldnae carry Nade'
:D
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:06 - May 25 with 2343 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 09:30 - May 23 by 00calben

Leigh Griffiths couldn't be further from the 'right sort'.

Scott Allan is a good player, was very surprised he ended up at Hibs last season. Far too good for them.

Strange to say a player is too good for a club?
His career had stalled and he found a club willing to work around him, he has diabetes and i think i'm right in saying that he has credited Allan Stubbs as the first manager to fully understand his illness and work a specific fitness and diet regime for him. Perhaps Hibs have been good for him?
I do see why people will say Griffiths has been a 'bad lad' but in a football sense i don't think he has ever given a manager problems with attitude or effort when not 1st pick for the team, in that sense i think he is the right sort tbh.
If i remember right i think you're also a Hearts fan (no problem with that) so possibly biased view against Hibs and Griffiths?
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:25 - May 25 with 2300 viewskarl

Just home and reading Hibs website it turns out Scott Allan actually gave a talk to 100 kids on how to handle diabetes tonight at Easter Road, sounds like he is part of the club atm.
Hibs turned down a bid from his first club Dundee Utd in the January window (don't know his view on it)but not sure how they would view a bid iro £500k with 12 months left on contract.
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 18:12 - May 26 with 2206 views00calben

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:06 - May 25 by karl

Strange to say a player is too good for a club?
His career had stalled and he found a club willing to work around him, he has diabetes and i think i'm right in saying that he has credited Allan Stubbs as the first manager to fully understand his illness and work a specific fitness and diet regime for him. Perhaps Hibs have been good for him?
I do see why people will say Griffiths has been a 'bad lad' but in a football sense i don't think he has ever given a manager problems with attitude or effort when not 1st pick for the team, in that sense i think he is the right sort tbh.
If i remember right i think you're also a Hearts fan (no problem with that) so possibly biased view against Hibs and Griffiths?

I meant that Scott Allan is too good for the Scottish Championship rather than Hibs in specifically. Thought that at the time of the transfer and the way the season went only enhanced my views. Can't deny Hibs have been good for him, I just think he would have excelled at any Club in Scottish football, including Celtic IMO.

Can't deny that Griffiths gives 100% on the pitch (and has been a success on the pitch in Scottish football), but I've heard a few pretty nasty stories about him and wouldn't want him at QPR. Don't think it would ever happen anyway, I think from his time at Wolves he'd rather stay in Scotland...

Perhaps there is a bias due to Hearts, but am trying not to be...
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 21:51 - May 26 with 2148 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 18:12 - May 26 by 00calben

I meant that Scott Allan is too good for the Scottish Championship rather than Hibs in specifically. Thought that at the time of the transfer and the way the season went only enhanced my views. Can't deny Hibs have been good for him, I just think he would have excelled at any Club in Scottish football, including Celtic IMO.

Can't deny that Griffiths gives 100% on the pitch (and has been a success on the pitch in Scottish football), but I've heard a few pretty nasty stories about him and wouldn't want him at QPR. Don't think it would ever happen anyway, I think from his time at Wolves he'd rather stay in Scotland...

Perhaps there is a bias due to Hearts, but am trying not to be...

I think we're not too far off on agreeing about Griffiths, i know i'm biased towards him and can't see a move to London working either.
Scott Allan staying at Hibs is still a possibilty apparently, of course can be a club positioning itself to get as big a fee as possible, it will be a long summer of ifs and maybes
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:05 - May 26 with 2116 viewspaulparker

I've always rated James Forrest but he seems to have gone backwards , a player who can play left or right wing and a match winner on his day
Also surprised to Tom watt ended up at charlton ,he was another who I thought would go on to bigger things
I know Karl & Ganj may disagree as they have better knowledge but I wouldn't mind seeing them 2 cone to Rangers

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:59 - May 26 with 2070 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:05 - May 26 by paulparker

I've always rated James Forrest but he seems to have gone backwards , a player who can play left or right wing and a match winner on his day
Also surprised to Tom watt ended up at charlton ,he was another who I thought would go on to bigger things
I know Karl & Ganj may disagree as they have better knowledge but I wouldn't mind seeing them 2 cone to Rangers

James Forrest chosen ahead of Phillips for Scotland means Strachan agrees with you that he is good?
Has been very injury prone but on his day is exactly as you say PP, just never seems to put a run of games together.
Tony Watt was put out on loan by Lennon due to an attitude problem and he had a lot of problems in Belgium for the same reason, manager saying he was over weight and not leading the right lifestyle. Having watched him solely on the Football League show he has looked lean and scoring goals for Charlton, don't think his skill has been questioned. There was paper talk that he would be in with a chance of a call up to the latest Scotland squad but in the end Griffiths got the nod.
Wouldnt be against either player if fit and motivated, fwiw i imagine Forrest would be too expensive a gamble but not sure of his contract status
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 07:37 - May 27 with 2016 viewspaulparker

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:59 - May 26 by karl

James Forrest chosen ahead of Phillips for Scotland means Strachan agrees with you that he is good?
Has been very injury prone but on his day is exactly as you say PP, just never seems to put a run of games together.
Tony Watt was put out on loan by Lennon due to an attitude problem and he had a lot of problems in Belgium for the same reason, manager saying he was over weight and not leading the right lifestyle. Having watched him solely on the Football League show he has looked lean and scoring goals for Charlton, don't think his skill has been questioned. There was paper talk that he would be in with a chance of a call up to the latest Scotland squad but in the end Griffiths got the nod.
Wouldnt be against either player if fit and motivated, fwiw i imagine Forrest would be too expensive a gamble but not sure of his contract status

Cheers Karl , Sounds as if Watt is Scotland's answer to Francis Jeffers, and could end up with a few clubs , shame as I thought he would go on to big things
I think I read somewhere Forrest has a year left at Celtic

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 09:16 - May 27 with 1969 viewskarl

Had to happen, papers are reporting that Glasgow Rangers have Scott Allan as their number 1 target, £500k. Always get a good news story before a big game but I can't see them paying a big fee when they are surviving on director loans atm (£1.5m this week) but getting promoted and season tickets selling well may change that.
Scott Allan would be worth double that fee to a Championship club imo.
Also being reported that Stubbs is attracting Sheff Utd along with Mark Warburton, Nigel Adkinsand Phil Parkinson but I can't see Warburton going there especially since his assistant Davie Weir was sacked by them before Nigel Clough got the job?
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 21:20 - Jun 10 with 1879 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 11:41 - May 23 by ganjR

Out of contract and has impressed me at 'Well and Arbroath (on loan) before that.
Would love Griffiths down here, but makes sense that he would want to stay up in Scotland.
Hearts must have a good player or 2.... Wilson is out of contract and Walker looked ok against us, but I choose not to watch their matches, so fck knows. Zeefiuk looks like another Nade..... '10 men couldnae carry Nade, 10 men and a forklift truck, couldnae carry Nade'

Lee Erwin signed for Leeds today so we'll see how that goes Ganj?
Out of contract so a development fee to pay as he turned down a new deal.
He's very raw but there is something about this lad, as Ganj said.
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 21:24 - Jun 10 with 1871 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 11:41 - May 23 by ganjR

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:36 - Jun 10 with 1711 viewsonlyrinmoray

The one good thing about signing players from Scotland is that they are cheap, but not good quality. I live up here but the only players who Ive been impressed with are Adam Rooney and Shaleum Logan of Aberdeen
Rooney did pretty well for Swindon and Birmingham when down south He has repeated his Caley form by scoring loads last season for Aberdeen so he would be definitely worth a punt
Logan is ex Man City and I hear Bolton are interested, a good prospect by all accounts who had a good season at Aberdeen

Reality is the SPL is Div One standard though with the exception of Celtic Im sorry to say I hate the Old Firm
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:45 - Jun 10 with 1692 viewsganjR

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 21:24 - Jun 10 by karl

Easy mate, hope you're good.
Yeah saw that, Leeds are a big club, but a nut house at the mo isn't it?
I would've loved him here, raw but has real quality... As you said 'he's got something about him'
I was reading up this thread about Forrest and Watt. Never got it with Forrest, he is a bit like McGeady for me. Over rated by Celtic supporters and press. Not saying that they are rubbish, they're good players, but maybe not worth the hype that they seem to receive.
I agree on everything you said about Watt, love to have him here, would be a risk.
Didn't he sign for Charlton permanently or on loan from Standard Liege?
It's interesting to see that quite a few Scottish league players are getting looked at.
Ciftci, who like Watt, would be great but a big risk.
Souttar, I haven't seen enough of recently, he always made mistakes when I had watched him, but he's still young. Seems to get linked to big clubs every year!
Rooney, I take what you say as true, haven't seen that much of him. Know Dons love Pawlett and they got McGinn and Hayes (who I rate).
Allan would be a very good signing for QPR, I just hope he doesn't sign for the other Rangers.
I'd like to see us try and get Hendrie, the LB on loan from West Ham. With a new manager coming in and Creswell being POTY, he could get experience here and we get good competition for Yun.
Danny Wilson is out of contract isn't he?
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:55 - Jun 10 with 1672 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:36 - Jun 10 by onlyrinmoray

The one good thing about signing players from Scotland is that they are cheap, but not good quality. I live up here but the only players who Ive been impressed with are Adam Rooney and Shaleum Logan of Aberdeen
Rooney did pretty well for Swindon and Birmingham when down south He has repeated his Caley form by scoring loads last season for Aberdeen so he would be definitely worth a punt
Logan is ex Man City and I hear Bolton are interested, a good prospect by all accounts who had a good season at Aberdeen

Reality is the SPL is Div One standard though with the exception of Celtic Im sorry to say I hate the Old Firm

They're cheap when you buy them and are prepared to develop them Moray, try and get someone ready for a high standard and you're paying millions atm.
I actually wouldn't take a chance on Rooney as I thought he never really took his opportunity at Birmingham and Swindon, he just doesn't have that spark for me. Very good for both Inverness and Aberdeen so I'm not knocking him just my opinion about the leagues, English Championship is power and pace (stamina for a long season too). Fwiw I think the top Scottish teams would compete in the Championship but I know many will never agree with that.
Btw if Orkney can beat Halkirk (a team in Caithness) then they are drawn to play Inverness in the North of Scotland cup, which they qualified for by coming 2nd in the North Reserve League (Highland League 2 effectively) heady days!
Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 23:09 - Jun 10 with 1635 viewskarl

Gary Hooper and Leigh Griffiths on 22:45 - Jun 10 by ganjR

Easy mate, hope you're good.
Yeah saw that, Leeds are a big club, but a nut house at the mo isn't it?
I would've loved him here, raw but has real quality... As you said 'he's got something about him'
I was reading up this thread about Forrest and Watt. Never got it with Forrest, he is a bit like McGeady for me. Over rated by Celtic supporters and press. Not saying that they are rubbish, they're good players, but maybe not worth the hype that they seem to receive.
I agree on everything you said about Watt, love to have him here, would be a risk.
Didn't he sign for Charlton permanently or on loan from Standard Liege?
It's interesting to see that quite a few Scottish league players are getting looked at.
Ciftci, who like Watt, would be great but a big risk.
Souttar, I haven't seen enough of recently, he always made mistakes when I had watched him, but he's still young. Seems to get linked to big clubs every year!
Rooney, I take what you say as true, haven't seen that much of him. Know Dons love Pawlett and they got McGinn and Hayes (who I rate).
Allan would be a very good signing for QPR, I just hope he doesn't sign for the other Rangers.
I'd like to see us try and get Hendrie, the LB on loan from West Ham. With a new manager coming in and Creswell being POTY, he could get experience here and we get good competition for Yun.
Danny Wilson is out of contract isn't he?

Yeah great Ganj, cheers.
Danny Wilson has a clause allowing him to leave Hearts which he has asked to exercise and it's accepted he has left them, still no word as to who he is joining so there is a decent centre back if only for back up?
As far as i can remember Watt was only on loan on Belgium (2 clubs but I can't remember?) possibly available as a free agent?
Whenever James Forrest has a couple of games he can really look the business, although lacking an end product most of the time, then he seems to disappear for 5-6 weeks injured again so if nothing else that makes me not want to bother with him. If he rips apart the Irish on Saturday I'll tactfully edit this post!
Souttar, as you say he always makes mistakes but haven't seen enough to make proper judgement. Good shout on Hendre for a loan signing but I wouldn't mind seeing what the new poster ABR has to say about Jason Naismith at St Mirren, I thought he was good prospect season 13/14 but he was very quiet in the tv games I watched this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024