Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cramp 06:34 - May 23 with 2228 viewsToast_R

What's that all about?
Been doing a bit of training for the old London to Brighton bike ride end of June.

Keep waking up in the early hours of the morning with f*cking cramp in my legs. Hamstring mostly. Jesus it's f*cking painful when it comes on and it's not easy to stop.

The Mrs isn't impressed by my sudden outbursts, and the cat sleeping at the end of the bed now has to take evasive menouvres to avoid an unfortunate boot.
[Post edited 23 May 2015 6:36]
Cramp on 07:58 - May 23 with 2183 viewsessextaxiboy

Good luck riding up the Beacon .I didnt manage it in 3 attempts .A great cause .
Quinine helps with cramp so drink some tonic water ? ..no gin tho
Cramp on 08:05 - May 23 with 2178 viewsjohann28

Hey,

Not unusual. Do a lot of stretching before and after training like wot the players do, and take in lots of fluids afterwards (some like those sports drinks with glucose, but water does the trick just as well), and keep the muscles warm by, for example, taking a hot shower before bed.

Regards to mrs & cat
Cramp on 08:10 - May 23 with 2168 viewskingsburyR

Another that wishes you luck with the Beacon. Got past half way before I gave up. Its then a long push!!!

More fluids needed to stop cramp!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Cramp on 09:06 - May 23 with 2130 viewsrunningman75

Fluids and potassium rich foods such as bananas/ avocado following training. If I have a long run I often eat bananas, drink coconut water as this contains potassium
Cramp on 09:23 - May 23 with 2111 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

I get cramps like a barstard too - supplement with magnesium tablets, tonic water as already suggested and maybe some salt if you're sweating a lot out. Plenty of fluids and stretches. Cramps are caused by a build up of lactic acid in the muscles. That occurs when you're doing anaerobic exercise and you start getting an oxygen deficit in the muscles, so fill those alveoli up before you start with a series of slow deep breathes and the same afterwards. Stretch before and after as well to allow easier movement of oxygen in the blood to the needy muscles.

If you're really suffering, try Crampex from a pharmacy and you can also buy a magnesium spray to apply directly to the affected muscle areas.
Cramp on 10:40 - May 23 with 2042 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Lots of salt! Take no notice of the 6gm guidelines for daily salt intake, that's for pen pushers who have no concept of sweat and toil.
Cramp on 09:11 - May 24 with 1898 viewsToast_R

Thanks for the advice gents.
Stamina wise I'm ok but the problem I'm having putting in the miles is the saddle strain. Just bought some padded shorts which help but it looks like I'm impersonating the dude from the money supermarket ad...

Been practicing on Richmond Park which has some decent climbs but nothing as long as the Beacon obviously. I'm determined to throw everything at it next month. It's the cold long beers at the end which will be my incentive.

Days like today though Richmond is busy as f@ck. I'll be cycling at my own pace and suddenly get swarmed by a pod of cyclists from a certain club who really are so far up their own arses I'm tempted to Kamikaze the f@ckers.
Cramp on 20:46 - Jun 22 with 1777 viewsToast_R

Cramp on 07:58 - May 23 by essextaxiboy

Good luck riding up the Beacon .I didnt manage it in 3 attempts .A great cause .
Quinine helps with cramp so drink some tonic water ? ..no gin tho

Conquered the lot except the Beacon, I managed about 400 yards and the tank was just empty and I had nothing left. Beacon Hill is one serious bitch. Kudos to all those that did it, a monumental effort especially some guy who's Mountain bike was on what looked like tractor wheels. Serious sh*t.

Saw two fellow R's fans wearing their shirts, gave one a You R's as I rode passed, as you do.

All in all a great day out, next year I'll give it another go.
Login to get fewer ads

Cramp on 20:50 - Jun 22 with 1771 viewsitsbiga

Meds for high blood pressure can cause increase in cramps too if youre on any of that gear?

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Cramp on 21:38 - Jun 22 with 1692 viewsRickyDicky

Cramp on 10:40 - May 23 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Lots of salt! Take no notice of the 6gm guidelines for daily salt intake, that's for pen pushers who have no concept of sweat and toil.

I agree, salt tablets from the chemist, little round things, take with a glass of water before bed.

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Cramp on 22:08 - Jun 22 with 1641 viewsDorse

I tell the missus it's caused by excessive testicular pressure and then look hopefully at her whilst nodding encouragingly.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Cramp on 22:24 - Jun 22 with 1625 viewsSimonJames

Cramp on 22:08 - Jun 22 by Dorse

I tell the missus it's caused by excessive testicular pressure and then look hopefully at her whilst nodding encouragingly.

Yes, I often claim to have ETP... I hope your missus is more gullible/accommodating than mine is.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Cramp on 23:36 - Jun 22 with 1578 viewsFredManRave

Cramp on 22:24 - Jun 22 by SimonJames

Yes, I often claim to have ETP... I hope your missus is more gullible/accommodating than mine is.

There's no point in me trying to convince the Mrs I've got ETP, she knows me too well.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Cramp on 23:56 - Jun 22 with 1566 viewsDorse

Cramp on 22:24 - Jun 22 by SimonJames

She isn't. I reckon they've been on a course or something.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Cramp on 07:24 - Jun 23 with 1512 viewsGuppy22

Well done for completing it, it was my 2nd time this year and managed to get up the beacon as didn't get up it last year, was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Hope you didn't suffer cramp afterwards
Cramp on 10:34 - Jun 23 with 1417 viewsSimonJames

Cramp on 23:56 - Jun 22 by Dorse

She isn't. I reckon they've been on a course or something.

Is it the same course where they develop an obsession for shoes and scatter cushions?

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024