Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formation Next Season 08:43 - May 26 with 1730 viewsGloucs_R

Bit worried when Ramsey came out in an interview and said he doesnt know what formation we will play and it depends on the players we have. If we are rebuilding surely we need to build a team to fit a style we want to play?

Personally I would like to see us play a 4-2-3-1 which can be easily adapted to 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1. We already have a few players who could play in some positions - Henry and potentially Sando as the 2 and Phillips out wide. Cant see Fer being here next season.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Formation Next Season on 10:00 - May 26 with 1654 viewsfakekerby

He said he didn't know what style of play he would deploy until he knew the players at his disposal.

What a f***ing genuis appointment we have made here.

So we're just going to go out and build an entire squad and then decide how to use them, genius, absolute genius.
Formation Next Season on 10:06 - May 26 with 1631 viewsessextaxiboy

Formation Next Season on 10:00 - May 26 by fakekerby

He said he didn't know what style of play he would deploy until he knew the players at his disposal.

What a f***ing genuis appointment we have made here.

So we're just going to go out and build an entire squad and then decide how to use them, genius, absolute genius.

If Leroy Fer stays we would prob play a different way than if he goes . Sometimes the players just are not available especially if you are on a budget . When we missed out on Jarvis in Jan there wasnt just the next left winger on the shelf to sign ..
Formation Next Season on 10:59 - May 26 with 1577 viewsfrancisbowles

Last season we wanted to play three at the back but we didn't/were unable to sign a left footed player to fit that formation. We then went ahead with it with Dunne, Ned or Caulker all looking uncomfortable on the left and not wanting to try Clint as we had already had Rio and/or Dunne who aren't quick.

We also told everyone in advance that we were going to play that way, hence they prepared for it.

Result, shambles! Ramsey quite right not to be divulging anything at present as well as not knowing which players will be brought in for him by Les and others. Anyway we need to have a squad capable of switching formations to suit the circumstances as they arise.
Formation Next Season on 11:13 - May 26 with 1554 viewsTheBlob

4-3-3

1.Les's Plumber

2.Big - Ish seller 6.Corner shop paper boy 5.White Van Man 3.Sat Nav lost

7.Chris's Avon Lady 10.Air Stewardess 4.Indeterminate Gender Gardener

8.Dog Poo Inspector 9.Auntie Edith 11.Stairlift Installer.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Formation Next Season on 11:22 - May 26 with 1527 viewsJamie

How can he know the formation yet when he hasn't sat down with Les, Ruben & the new CEO and worked out who is staying and who is going...
Formation Next Season on 11:32 - May 26 with 1506 viewsDiscodroids

QPR XI for next season under the dynamic Ramsey

..................the geezer that looks like hitler from 'the sparks..........
'
..Kraftwerk #1......................................................................................Kraftwerk#4
.....................................Kraftwerk #2..........Kraftwerk #3................................

.........................the baseball cap bloke in the pet shop boys......................
..David ball from 'soft cell'.....................the black bass player in 'big country'.........
...............................the 2nd drummer in adam & the ants'.......................................

.......................the fat gadge in 'bronski beat'....andrew ridgely...................................

manager chris 'stamp' ramsey. the out of focus bloke on a rock stars t shrt.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Formation Next Season on 11:48 - May 26 with 1478 viewsGloucs_R

Formation Next Season on 11:22 - May 26 by Jamie

How can he know the formation yet when he hasn't sat down with Les, Ruben & the new CEO and worked out who is staying and who is going...

Are you being sarcastic Jamie? Surely they would know that already.

Formation Next Season on 15:21 - May 26 with 1345 viewsJamie

Formation Next Season on 11:48 - May 26 by Gloucs_R

Are you being sarcastic Jamie? Surely they would know that already.

Not being sarcastic at all. Him & Les are sitting down end of this week to finalise which out of contract players are going to be offered new terms. Obviously that will be reliant on who Ruben will fund.

Equally, if Ruben is willing to fund Fer, Phillips, Caulker etc for another season will make a huge difference to Ramseys plans.

Clearly if for example, terms are agreed with Barton for another year, and a few of those named are retained, Ramsey can and may decide to setup differently to having to go on his holidays with Les looking around to see who is available in those areas.
Login to get fewer ads

Formation Next Season on 15:36 - May 26 with 1310 viewsPinnerPaul

Just another thread for knocking Ramsey.

I'll be more worried if he were saying the same thing in 3 months time.

As for original comment, seems eminently sensible to me.

Its not a computer game, click on your 25 players, click on your formation and off you go!
Formation Next Season on 15:45 - May 26 with 1288 viewsGloucs_R

Formation Next Season on 15:36 - May 26 by PinnerPaul

Just another thread for knocking Ramsey.

I'll be more worried if he were saying the same thing in 3 months time.

As for original comment, seems eminently sensible to me.

Its not a computer game, click on your 25 players, click on your formation and off you go!

I didnt mean it as a knocking thread (ohh err missus)...

Formation Next Season on 15:47 - May 26 with 1280 viewsPinnerPaul

Fair enough Gloucs
Formation Next Season on 15:53 - May 26 with 1265 viewsadhoc_qpr

There is plenty of real things to knock Ramsey for without inventing reasons!

Obviously the formation will be determined by the players we get to some extent.

If we keep Charlie Austin because no one offers more than £8m, we should set up the team to feed him chances i.e. quick wingers, a strike partners who compliments his style etc.

But if we don't end up with any strikers approaching Charlies quality, we aren't going to build a team around say Daryl Murphy or Kenwyne Jones.
Formation Next Season on 22:20 - May 26 with 1116 viewsderbyhoop

If we listen to many of the posters on here and only pick from the senior players, we'll be playing 2-2-0.
And then everybody has to be fit.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Formation Next Season on 22:58 - May 26 with 1059 views08olesen

I would like to see him play 433 but if Hoilet is one of those wingers we may as well not bother. That formation relies on wingers and unless you are Barcelona, crossing is a big part of it and he cant do it. According to LVG 433 is the best system to use due to the amount of passing lanes available to each player.....however after seeing us pass this year im not sure that is a good thing! We just need goal scorers and big center backs that's what wins the championship.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Formation Next Season on 14:10 - May 27 with 949 viewsMvpeter

NO NO NO You define the system you'll use and THEN YOU SIGN PLAYERS TO MATCH IT.

It's idiotic to suggest otherwise. I don't mean to offend but it's like suggesting that you don't need a goalkeeper. That level of ridiculousness.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Formation Next Season on 14:17 - May 27 with 939 viewsPinnerPaul

Formation Next Season on 14:10 - May 27 by Mvpeter

NO NO NO You define the system you'll use and THEN YOU SIGN PLAYERS TO MATCH IT.

It's idiotic to suggest otherwise. I don't mean to offend but it's like suggesting that you don't need a goalkeeper. That level of ridiculousness.

Really............?

In what "system" would you NOT have Charlie Austin for example?

Midfielders? - Can pretty much adapt to any system, is any squad NOT going to contain one or two wide players?

Central defenders - yep, need those? Full backs? Yep need those - Decent GK with a decent back up? Yep need those.

Likewise without insulting you it IS daft to say you can't sign any players until you have worked out your "system"

In any case you will need to adapt as season goes on because of injuries, oppo etc etc etc

As I said before this is just another stick to bash Ramsey with.
Formation Next Season on 14:23 - May 27 with 926 viewsdaveB

I wouldn't pay much attention to what is being said, They have also said they haven't looked at transfer targets yet look they we are about to sign two players. Perhaps the club are doing something different and just going to do things rather than talk about them. I'm pretty sure Ramsey will have an idea of what tactics he wants to play next season and will sign players to fit that system.
Formation Next Season on 14:57 - May 27 with 896 viewsRBlock

Formation Next Season on 14:17 - May 27 by PinnerPaul

Really............?

Midfielders? - Can pretty much adapt to any system, is any squad NOT going to contain one or two wide players?

Central defenders - yep, need those? Full backs? Yep need those - Decent GK with a decent back up? Yep need those.

Likewise without insulting you it IS daft to say you can't sign any players until you have worked out your "system"

In any case you will need to adapt as season goes on because of injuries, oppo etc etc etc

No, I'm completely with MVPeter here. A CM is a CM but if we are playing a 4-2-3-1 we need midfielders to sit deep and shield the back four allowing the forward players to attack. However a 4-4-2 needs CMs that are more able to go box to box. Likewise an old-school 4-4-2 is more likely to require old-school wingers to go wide and get the crosses in and Austin style forwards who are strong in the air. You would not want to play Charlie Austin alone up-top having to do all the hold up and link up play that he had to this last year. Not that he is bad at it, but it is not playing to his strengths. Sorting out a formation and way we intend to play is key. We then buy players that suit this philosophy so we can play to their strengths.
Formation Next Season on 15:51 - May 27 with 863 viewsingeminate

Formation Next Season on 14:57 - May 27 by RBlock

No, I'm completely with MVPeter here. A CM is a CM but if we are playing a 4-2-3-1 we need midfielders to sit deep and shield the back four allowing the forward players to attack. However a 4-4-2 needs CMs that are more able to go box to box. Likewise an old-school 4-4-2 is more likely to require old-school wingers to go wide and get the crosses in and Austin style forwards who are strong in the air. You would not want to play Charlie Austin alone up-top having to do all the hold up and link up play that he had to this last year. Not that he is bad at it, but it is not playing to his strengths. Sorting out a formation and way we intend to play is key. We then buy players that suit this philosophy so we can play to their strengths.

it is reasonable for them to sit down look at which players are going to stay on.

Then look at the teams we will be up against next year - strengths/weaknesses, what formations worked well for the more successful teams.

Match up with who is available on the transfer market and also who realistically they see breaking through from youth next year and after weighing that up (and probably a load of other factors I've not thought of) make a call on what shape they want to aim for.

I say aim because after that the club tries to recruit players to work within that system - but if for whatever reason it can't then there has to be some flexibility.

That is if you are just talking about set ups - 3-52, 4-4-2 etc.

If you are looking at style then you can make up your mind earlier - i.e regardless of formation we are going t be a passing team back to front, or v high tempo pressing team - then you can look at players who either have the technical ability or say stamina and recruit like that.

Anyone suggesting Ramsay should already have all the answers already is just looking for a reason to have a pop at him.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Formation Next Season on 16:12 - May 27 with 825 viewsMvpeter

Formation Next Season on 14:17 - May 27 by PinnerPaul

Really............?

A system that requires possession. A system that requires fast counter attacking. Anything that isn't lumping it tbh. Which is why Swansea the likes of Swansea won't consider him.

Midfielders cannot adapt to any system. Extremely simplistic. A squad that doesn't use wide players wouldn't contain wide players. That could be because of a midfield diamond, a system with five at the back or one with three at the back.

Do you need quick defenders? Stoppers? How important is passing ability? What foot do you need them to use? Are they going to be in a three or a two? Where in the three or the two will they play?

Do we need full backs or wing backs? Do we need pace or solidarity? Do we require them to be attacking or more defensive? How important is their passing ability going to be?

I cannot believe after the season we just suffered through I've had this response.
Baffling.

Formation Next Season on 16:19 - May 27 with 809 viewsPinnerPaul

Formation Next Season on 16:12 - May 27 by Mvpeter

A system that requires possession. A system that requires fast counter attacking. Anything that isn't lumping it tbh. Which is why Swansea the likes of Swansea won't consider him.

Midfielders cannot adapt to any system. Extremely simplistic. A squad that doesn't use wide players wouldn't contain wide players. That could be because of a midfield diamond, a system with five at the back or one with three at the back.

Do you need quick defenders? Stoppers? How important is passing ability? What foot do you need them to use? Are they going to be in a three or a two? Where in the three or the two will they play?

Do we need full backs or wing backs? Do we need pace or solidarity? Do we require them to be attacking or more defensive? How important is their passing ability going to be?

I cannot believe after the season we just suffered through I've had this response.
Baffling.

Its a 46 game season - you're not going to stick to one system.

Just one example - you say you "don't need wide players" if you don't intend to play that way.

So you get injuries/suspensions you are about to play a team with not very quick full backs = then what - you stick to your beloved "system"?

Quick defenders - yes please - I'll have them whatever "system' you use - what's the alternative - saying to a defender - "Sorry not signing you, you're too quick"

I presume you wouldn't want to commit to Hill or Faurlin until the "system" is in place?

"Baffling" indeed
Formation Next Season on 16:41 - May 27 with 773 viewsMvpeter

Formation Next Season on 16:19 - May 27 by PinnerPaul

Its a 46 game season - you're not going to stick to one system.

Just one example - you say you "don't need wide players" if you don't intend to play that way.

So you get injuries/suspensions you are about to play a team with not very quick full backs = then what - you stick to your beloved "system"?

Quick defenders - yes please - I'll have them whatever "system' you use - what's the alternative - saying to a defender - "Sorry not signing you, you're too quick"

I presume you wouldn't want to commit to Hill or Faurlin until the "system" is in place?

"Baffling" indeed

You're confusing formation with system.

Yes you keep to the same system. You can exploit weaknesses without abandoning your system. In the example you've given, you may commit your full backs more for example.

The alternative is signing players that you need as it may not be a choice between an obese 6"5 centreback and a 6"5 sprinter. Maybe it's a choice between a quick 5"10 centreback with good ball skills and a 6"5 brickshithouse. Maybe you plan to play direct with a deep line? Who do you pick?

I wouldn't particularly want to commit to either of them regardless.

It is extremely baffling considering we just received a 38 game lesson in what happens when you don't buy players to fit a system and what happens when you assume all players can simply adapt.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024