Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA officials arrested 06:31 - May 27 with 7117 viewsWatfordR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32895057
FIFA officials arrested on 14:41 - May 27 with 2506 viewsthemodfather

any surprise?????
does anyone trust blatter? why he is so keen to keep in, something to hide?? not wanting a new person to check the books??
they will blame england and our media, of course.
FIFA officials arrested on 16:07 - May 27 with 2464 viewsQPR1882

Blatters theme tune

FIFA officials arrested on 20:22 - May 27 with 2406 viewsbosh67

9 arrests via the FBI and Swiss BI investigating the 2018 and 2022 awards.

FIFA are a football organisation run as a mafia. Mafias get broken up.

Surely if found guilty the FBI and SBI have to wind FIFA up once and for all.

Has to be the best thing for world football.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

FIFA officials arrested on 00:39 - May 28 with 2349 viewseastside_r

Really pleased to see that one of those arrested, as reported by the NY Times, is that odious prick Jack Warner.

Can't see old fanny Blatter surviving this.
FIFA officials arrested on 08:08 - May 28 with 2294 viewseasthertsr

I fell out of love with international football years ago. FIFA are corrupt from top to bottom, World Cups are no longer worth watching , and the England team has been appalling for years. The whole system needs a total overhaul with a new administrative organisation in place. If it doesn't happen then the FA should pull out of FIFA organised tournaments and try to get as many other countries to join us as possible. If England pulled out of the next World Cup would you really be bothered? I wouldn't!
FIFA officials arrested on 08:14 - May 28 with 2290 viewsdanehoop

FIFA officials arrested on 00:39 - May 28 by eastside_r

Really pleased to see that one of those arrested, as reported by the NY Times, is that odious prick Jack Warner.

Blatter is unlikely to go willingly. The whole upper echelon of FIFA is set up to support him (its a personality cult almost) and large parts of the organisation rely on his largesse to keep them wealthy. They will vote for him and endorse him because he keeps the checks rolling in and any threat to that is not something they would accept. The whole organisation is corrupt.

As I mentioned in a previous thread the only thing that will threaten his position is the cash being turned off by sponsors. Aside from the damage to their brands by association, there is always the risk that they too might get drawn into the mire if any of their sponsorship agreements prove to be less than squeaky clean or it can be shown they have knowingly allowed bribery to have taken place. For some of them that is a real risk.

The Times journalists who have been all over this story for about 5 years really do deserve credit for what is happening. If the other elements of their stories are picked upon by other law agencies (which now seems inevitable given the Swiss authorities going after the Qatar and Russian WC bids) then this could really hurt FIFA.

The trouble is that Blatter simply has nothing to gain from doing the decent thing, indeed everything screams that he will look to force through a vote with his cronies backing him for a further 4 years and then use that platform to obstruct change.

Never knowingly understood

FIFA officials arrested on 09:21 - May 28 with 2259 viewsTheBlob

FIFA officials arrested on 00:39 - May 28 by eastside_r

Always sad when an elderly and well respected copper goes bad.
"Evenin' all " I believe was your favourite phrase?
Watch your arseole in the showers mate.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

FIFA officials arrested on 09:27 - May 28 with 2247 viewsCiderwithRsie

FIFA officials arrested on 08:14 - May 28 by danehoop

Blatter is unlikely to go willingly. The whole upper echelon of FIFA is set up to support him (its a personality cult almost) and large parts of the organisation rely on his largesse to keep them wealthy. They will vote for him and endorse him because he keeps the checks rolling in and any threat to that is not something they would accept. The whole organisation is corrupt.

As I mentioned in a previous thread the only thing that will threaten his position is the cash being turned off by sponsors. Aside from the damage to their brands by association, there is always the risk that they too might get drawn into the mire if any of their sponsorship agreements prove to be less than squeaky clean or it can be shown they have knowingly allowed bribery to have taken place. For some of them that is a real risk.

The Times journalists who have been all over this story for about 5 years really do deserve credit for what is happening. If the other elements of their stories are picked upon by other law agencies (which now seems inevitable given the Swiss authorities going after the Qatar and Russian WC bids) then this could really hurt FIFA.

The trouble is that Blatter simply has nothing to gain from doing the decent thing, indeed everything screams that he will look to force through a vote with his cronies backing him for a further 4 years and then use that platform to obstruct change.

The other people who deserve respect are the Yanks. As with Libor and other scandals, they are the only people in the world who seem willing to take on organised international crooks who otherwise shelter behind their global status to avoid enforcement by any one nation.

At risk of bringing politics into it, a similar approach is needed if anyone is really going to get serious about tax avoiders like Apple or Starbucks; unfortunately, I don't see that happening since the worst offenders are big US-based corporations. Blatter's big mistake was not to send some of the bribes to US presidential election campaigns. And to be even more riskily political, this is both the best reason to be in the EU - the fact that only something that size can equal the Americans' approach, but without being subject to the way US politics is bought by big business - and a big reason to leave the EU - because, despite all the rhetoric, it completely fails to do any of this stuff.
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA officials arrested on 09:50 - May 28 with 2229 viewsdanehoop

I agree on the effectiveness of the US to a point. But, the issue is about the effectiveness of the regulator and their jurisdiction. It also is in someway because the US regulators see fraud and corruption as serious criminal activity with very heavy penalities including long custodial sentances.

The interesting thing is that the EU has often proved to be a far more effective regulator than domestic regulators in the individual nation states of the EU. That was proven in cases taken against Microsoft in its bundled software and against Google for how it set up its search engines. It also hit them hard around data transparency and useage. In each case the fines imposed and effectiveness of sanctions against them were effective and punitive. Having a single market has made it much easier for the EU Commision to take coordinated action across the whole of the EU to protect consumers and enforce regulation.

The sudden focus on the tax practices of multinational businesses is another good example where a single regulatory approach for the whole market has brought change (see Amazons announcements this week). It was indvidual member states who had sought to distort the market through low/no tax deals and companies arguing they were obeying the law. By taking action at an EU level the deals that member states had created were classed at unfair state aids and therefore illegal under EU law. That has also enabled more coordinated information sharing between tax bodies both within the EU and externally.

Compare that against the actions of bilateral regulators in individual members states. When it was clear that many rich individuals were using Switzerland and other places to avoid paying revenue individually the member states found it touch to push Switzerland to do anything. Once leaks came out though it provided evidence to tackle the tax evasion which had taken place and the data was shared through member states and with the US. Whilst French, German and US authorties went after and prosecuted tax evaders and through EU and US action forced the Swiss to open up their books, HMRC did nothing to prosecute one individual for tax evasion. HMRC also lost revenue by agreeing one off deals with some of the UK's biggest companies (e.g. Vodaphone) rather than effectively pursue them for the revenue lost to you and me by their actions.

So I think be wary about taking for granted that regulation will be better for the UK as a seperate entity from the EU. All the evidence so far is quite the reverse.

Never knowingly understood

FIFA officials arrested on 11:56 - May 28 with 2192 viewsCiderwithRsie

FIFA officials arrested on 09:50 - May 28 by danehoop

I agree on the effectiveness of the US to a point. But, the issue is about the effectiveness of the regulator and their jurisdiction. It also is in someway because the US regulators see fraud and corruption as serious criminal activity with very heavy penalities including long custodial sentances.

The interesting thing is that the EU has often proved to be a far more effective regulator than domestic regulators in the individual nation states of the EU. That was proven in cases taken against Microsoft in its bundled software and against Google for how it set up its search engines. It also hit them hard around data transparency and useage. In each case the fines imposed and effectiveness of sanctions against them were effective and punitive. Having a single market has made it much easier for the EU Commision to take coordinated action across the whole of the EU to protect consumers and enforce regulation.

The sudden focus on the tax practices of multinational businesses is another good example where a single regulatory approach for the whole market has brought change (see Amazons announcements this week). It was indvidual member states who had sought to distort the market through low/no tax deals and companies arguing they were obeying the law. By taking action at an EU level the deals that member states had created were classed at unfair state aids and therefore illegal under EU law. That has also enabled more coordinated information sharing between tax bodies both within the EU and externally.

Compare that against the actions of bilateral regulators in individual members states. When it was clear that many rich individuals were using Switzerland and other places to avoid paying revenue individually the member states found it touch to push Switzerland to do anything. Once leaks came out though it provided evidence to tackle the tax evasion which had taken place and the data was shared through member states and with the US. Whilst French, German and US authorties went after and prosecuted tax evaders and through EU and US action forced the Swiss to open up their books, HMRC did nothing to prosecute one individual for tax evasion. HMRC also lost revenue by agreeing one off deals with some of the UK's biggest companies (e.g. Vodaphone) rather than effectively pursue them for the revenue lost to you and me by their actions.

So I think be wary about taking for granted that regulation will be better for the UK as a seperate entity from the EU. All the evidence so far is quite the reverse.

Well, you've got me on the detail there, and I'm not at all surprised that the EU is more effective than individual states. But I'm impressed with the more serious view the US seems to take on the issue of fraud and corruption, and I think there's a lot of ground to be made up there.

But I really don't want to turn this into an EU thread!

Off to dig out a torch and pitchfork before popping round to Mr Blatter's house; I see he's dodged out of some conference, probably having a quiet lie down in his coffin.
FIFA officials arrested on 19:23 - May 28 with 2154 viewskensalriser

All over the news tonight. This guy is like the Robert Mugabe of football.

Time for the major football nations to grow some balls and resign from FIFA. Even if just UEFA resigned it would be enough to end FIFA. I don't want to watch the next World Cup, it's too tainted now. 1200 construction workers killed in Qatar...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA officials arrested on 10:09 - May 29 with 2090 viewsRangers67

So it seems our police are now co-operating with the FBI as there does seem to have been some wrong doing on British soil. As I said earlier our FA have been absolute cowards on this but that is nothing new for these incompetent clowns. As we will see after the FIFA presidential vote later, there are a lot of pigs with their snouts in the trough and they don,t want the gravy train to stop running. I think you have to be suspicious of anyone who gets the unreserved backing of Mr Putin. And the scandal of the slave labour that is going on in Qatar and the poor souls dying to build the stadiums is beyond belief. How this is aloud to go on with not one of the member nations of FIFA making a stand is an international disgrace. Is there no end to these peoples greed ?
Lastly I reiterate, I have never had a very expensive watch left in my hotel room gratis.
FIFA officials arrested on 13:28 - May 29 with 2064 viewsTheBlob

This is is beginning to smell of external politics,more specifically the US and Russia.Maybe we're going to see,as with the Moscow olympics,pressure put on England to pull out of the World Cup.I hope we've got the nuts to tell the Yanks to f*ck off.One also wonders if the Shermans would have been so zealous over one of their domestic sports rather than an alien one.
Having said that they've done the sporting world a right favour.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

FIFA officials arrested on 13:49 - May 29 with 2041 viewsQPunkR

FIFA officials arrested on 13:28 - May 29 by TheBlob

This is is beginning to smell of external politics,more specifically the US and Russia.Maybe we're going to see,as with the Moscow olympics,pressure put on England to pull out of the World Cup.I hope we've got the nuts to tell the Yanks to f*ck off.One also wonders if the Shermans would have been so zealous over one of their domestic sports rather than an alien one.
Having said that they've done the sporting world a right favour.

tbf maybe that's why the Septics have managed to do this, precisely because they're kind of on the outside of soccerballman. Either way, good on 'em for having a crack.

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024