Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cycling Stasi 11:33 - Jun 19 with 29819 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I agree with quite a lot of this.

I'm the latter normal A-B type she talks about. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130690/SARAH-VINE-says-real-menaces-roa

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Cycling Stasi on 12:05 - Jun 22 with 1992 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 11:46 - Jun 22 by dolcelatte

If you ride with a cycling club then the chances are it will be affiliated to British Cycling and therefore you are covered by insurance whilst on group rides. Join British Cycling as an individual then you have insurance on all rides. Most of our club are members directly.

thats great for club cyclists but dosnt cover the guys who think they can do what they want when they want though, the club guys apart from taking most of the road up two abreats arent really the issue its the ones who bomb through traffic lights whenever they want

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Cycling Stasi on 12:31 - Jun 22 with 1966 viewsmase

But that's not how tax works. There's no hypothecation for roads any more, and hasn't been since the 1930s. I cycle and I drive, and I pay various forms of tax to do both in one way or another (not just income tax, but also upon buying the bike and accessories, there is VAT, ditto on servicing; for the car, car tax/VED, VAT on buying the car, duty and VAT on fuel, VAT on servicing). Likewise: I don't have children, but am happy to pay for schools, free school meals, and child benefits. I don't use the NHS, but am happy to pay for it. I don't use libraries, but am happy to pay for them. They all help make society better.

Why should cyclists in particular be made to pay for something in a way that no other group is? The fact is motorists still get a huge subsidy to use the roads when one considers the damage motor vehicles do to the road surfaces, not to mention the air pollution, noise pollution, the delay they cause with traffic jams, and the costs of the accidents they are involved in.

If you call for cyclists to pay this special levy then, fair’s fair. If cyclists were ever asked to contribute this way, any payment they made for the provision of excellent cycle facilities ought to be offset by the cost savings made by cyclists for the benefit of the economy. Going on just some of the externalities, it has been calculated by the University of California that cyclists in the UK could be due for a rebate of somewhere in the region of £50bn. This isn't far-fetched: in Norway, the Norwegian Public Roads Administration pay for employees to cycle to work instead of driving. In Copenhagen the city calculates that for every kilometre a citizen on a bicycle rides, society earns 1.22 kroner (25 US cents). For every kilometre a citizen drives in a car, society pays out .69 kroner 89 (13 US cents).
Cycling Stasi on 12:37 - Jun 22 with 1946 viewsmase

Cycling Stasi on 12:00 - Jun 22 by bob566

it's not a tax based on emissions. Its a charge that would go into a fund that would only be used for cyclists. Nothing else. If you have a bike you register it. You pay 20 quid a year. Money goes into building cycles lanes, cycle safety etc.

How much would it cost to set up, administer and monitor/enforce this comulsory registration. I would think well over £20. Switzerland tried something similar a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth it. No other country in the world has such a scheme. Why should it be any different here?

There need to be a sizeable change in the political wind before we see any significant building of proper cycling lanes and infrastructure. There are so many vested interests against it in this country that we are still light years behind some of our more enlightened European neighbours. Meanwhile we can continue enjoy the highest levels of inactivity and obesity in the EU, and a shameful road safety record.
Cycling Stasi on 12:43 - Jun 22 with 1932 viewsmase

Cycling Stasi on 00:00 - Jun 22 by HollowayRanger

I hate cyclists

and I dont even drive

though reds lights even when people trying to cross road and on pavements do my head in I always make sure im right in middle of pavement so they cant get by easily

that said I wouldn't ride a bike here in London way too dangerous

"I hate cyclists".

In what world is it OK to write a sentence like this? There is no collective responsibility and just because one person rides through a red light does not give you carte blanche to hate others who happen to have chosen to get around by the same means of transport.

You may also like to make the link between why people ride on the pavement, and the danger you perceive on the roads in London. Perhaps you should start campaigning to make the roads safer, less noisy and polluted, and more conducive to being 'people places' rather than trying to inconvenience your fellow man.
Cycling Stasi on 12:52 - Jun 22 with 1905 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 12:43 - Jun 22 by mase

"I hate cyclists".

In what world is it OK to write a sentence like this? There is no collective responsibility and just because one person rides through a red light does not give you carte blanche to hate others who happen to have chosen to get around by the same means of transport.

You may also like to make the link between why people ride on the pavement, and the danger you perceive on the roads in London. Perhaps you should start campaigning to make the roads safer, less noisy and polluted, and more conducive to being 'people places' rather than trying to inconvenience your fellow man.

cycling in other countries is better organised because they have more space and probably slightly more intelligent people riding bikes there, london is way to congested and the proposed new cylce lanes arent going to help that situation in any way shape or form great idea lets remove lanes for cars etc and replace it with a cycle lane hardly anyone will use. if they choose not to use it simple make sure they are fined , might make them think about a little more in future when they have to pay a 50 quid fine.

Cycling Stasi on 12:59 - Jun 22 with 1892 viewsQPunkR

Cycling Stasi on 12:52 - Jun 22 by wombat

cycling in other countries is better organised because they have more space and probably slightly more intelligent people riding bikes there, london is way to congested and the proposed new cylce lanes arent going to help that situation in any way shape or form great idea lets remove lanes for cars etc and replace it with a cycle lane hardly anyone will use. if they choose not to use it simple make sure they are fined , might make them think about a little more in future when they have to pay a 50 quid fine.

Why do you personally hate cyclists so much, like they're another race/species entirely? Do you have some deep-seated issue?
It's an emotive subject for cyclists because myself and many others have been hit by cars and injured to a greater or lesser extent. Some other poor sods (obv sometimes their own fault) have died. On the other hand, I do not know of one driver who's been killed or injured in a coming-together with a bicycle.

I really honestly can't compute how some drivers can have such high levels of hate because they're slightly inconvenienced by fellow human beings on small two-wheeled motorless vehicles.

QPR - "shit but local"

Cycling Stasi on 13:01 - Jun 22 with 1891 viewsTheBlob

Cycling Stasi on 12:43 - Jun 22 by mase

"I hate cyclists".

Haven't you rather done the same generalisation by branding all motorists?
The car is a useful tool for gathering goods and services - how much groceries can you transport on a bicycle?
As a dedicated pedestrian nobody speaks for us.As a minority we should be lauded to the heavens by the pc brigade who regard a tail wagging the dog as the preferred norm.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Cycling Stasi on 13:01 - Jun 22 with 1891 viewsmase

You might find this blog interesting: https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/the-physical-constraints-of

Or this one: http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2014/10/our-streets-are-too-narrow-for-cycl

People seem to have an insistent belief that London’s streets are ‘narrow’. At a guess I would imagine this belief stems from an assumption that because London has, in some places, a medieval street pattern, its streets are necessarily medieval in layout. But while the City of London, in particular, has largely retained its original layout, the history of construction in London is generally one of a desire to impose order with wide, grand streets.

Looking at these pictures it is worth noting both the huge distances between the building frontages in every single case, and also that, in the great majority of examples, the entire road width is given over to the passage and storage of private motor vehicles. The pictures tell us that the real issue in London is not ‘physical constraints’ or ‘a lack of space’ but rather how that space is allocated. In other words, how those ‘other road users’ might be affected.

In many places, they needn’t be affected at all, because the amount of space is vast. But I think Boris has to grasp the nettle and recognise that space will need to be reallocated if he is going to ultimately solve the problems of congestion in London.

Back in May, the author of the Cycalogical blog wrote that

Part of the congestion problem [in London] is that people don’t see a realistic alternative to driving. Buses aren’t much of an alternative if they’re caught up in the same congestion as the cars. For most people, cycling isn’t an alternative because even residential roads are perceived as too dangerous for cycling — mainly because they’re full of the rat-running traffic I referred to earlier trying to avoid the congestion hotspots. So people are driving distances of less than a mile in some cases, distances that are cyclable by anyone of average fitness. We know at least 50% of London car journeys could easily be cycled — we also know the main reason people don’t cycle is fear of traffic, although 30-40% of people would like to cycle. In simple terms, there is no good reason why London can’t be like Amsterdam.

… My appeal to Boris is this: stop treating cycling as some sort of expensive, taxpayer-funded play scheme. Cycling is not a game, it is a transport mode, and one that is well-adapted to the age of austerity by virtue of its low infrastructure and low end-user costs. This is a city that desperately needs a bold strategy to relieve it of congestion. Make cycling in London safe and that will stand as a worthy legacy, with lower transport costs, better public health and an improved environment. Do nothing and London will fall further behind its European competitors, who already have more efficient transport systems in which cycling is an increasingly integrated and important part.

Boris’s current strategy of dealing with congestion seems to involve tinkering around the edges with signal timings and junction capacity, which amount to little more than trying to squeeze every last drop of capacity for motor vehicles out of the current system. It is ultimately unsustainable as a strategy. He needs to drop the fairly insipid current approach of ‘selling’ cycling by means of ‘encouragement’ and get behind serious moves to shift people out of their cars and onto bicycles; serious strategies like London Cycling Campaign’s Go Dutch, that present a realistic solution to the transport difficulties London continues to face, by making cycling a safe, inviting and convenient option for all, rather than just a hardened minority.

The space is there.
Login to get fewer ads

Cycling Stasi on 13:06 - Jun 22 with 1876 viewsLewes_r

I don't cycle.. way too dangerous but i do push my kids around in a buggy loads.. I get really angry and overly aggressive with it.. its great.. you can get away with hell

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Cycling Stasi on 13:07 - Jun 22 with 1873 viewsmase

Cycling Stasi on 13:01 - Jun 22 by TheBlob

Haven't you rather done the same generalisation by branding all motorists?
The car is a useful tool for gathering goods and services - how much groceries can you transport on a bicycle?
As a dedicated pedestrian nobody speaks for us.As a minority we should be lauded to the heavens by the pc brigade who regard a tail wagging the dog as the preferred norm.

Where do I brand all motorists? I thought I had taken particular care not to do that.

Of course the car has its uses, and certain advantages, over bicycles, the easy transportation of certain goods being among them.

We can, nay should, do more to make life easier and more pleasant for pedestrians and all those who choose to travel actively.
Cycling Stasi on 13:12 - Jun 22 with 1854 viewsWatford_Ranger

Cycling Stasi on 12:59 - Jun 22 by QPunkR

Why do you personally hate cyclists so much, like they're another race/species entirely? Do you have some deep-seated issue?
It's an emotive subject for cyclists because myself and many others have been hit by cars and injured to a greater or lesser extent. Some other poor sods (obv sometimes their own fault) have died. On the other hand, I do not know of one driver who's been killed or injured in a coming-together with a bicycle.

I really honestly can't compute how some drivers can have such high levels of hate because they're slightly inconvenienced by fellow human beings on small two-wheeled motorless vehicles.

Still must be pretty horrific for a driver who ends up with a cyclist on their windscreen even if they don't suffer physical harm.
Cycling Stasi on 13:14 - Jun 22 with 1851 viewsR_from_afar

Cycling Stasi on 20:21 - Jun 20 by kensalriser

Of course, none of the holier than thou, high testosterone car drivers giving it the large one has never, ever, broken the law while driving, right?

I once decided to count the number of dangerous driving incidents I saw, on a car journey from Bracknell to Northampton.

I counted 18 in total, quite a lot I would say, but, embarrassingly, three of them were mine!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cycling Stasi on 13:19 - Jun 22 with 1837 viewsQPunkR

Cycling Stasi on 13:12 - Jun 22 by Watford_Ranger

Still must be pretty horrific for a driver who ends up with a cyclist on their windscreen even if they don't suffer physical harm.

Undoubtedly.
But my point is that I can't see why some drivers get so het up during these type of conversations. I let myself down the other day in this whole argument by using insults directed at a certain poster. However, I've suffered accident and injury being hit by cars and so I am wont to get pi$$ed off when others are flippant about the whole issue, especially as it appears that's the way they drive, from what they say.

QPR - "shit but local"

Cycling Stasi on 13:29 - Jun 22 with 1814 viewsTheBlob

Cycling Stasi on 13:07 - Jun 22 by mase

Where do I brand all motorists? I thought I had taken particular care not to do that.

Of course the car has its uses, and certain advantages, over bicycles, the easy transportation of certain goods being among them.

We can, nay should, do more to make life easier and more pleasant for pedestrians and all those who choose to travel actively.

As a pedestrian I've never broken any speeding laws(I wish),never tailgated a fellow walker,have never headbutted a motor and never suffered Pavement Rage.We are the most put upon souls in society.If God had meant us to thrash about the place clad in hideous garb with glazed expressions He would have equipped us with wheels.I was born with feet and the only times i consider utilising rubber is to repair shoes or put on the end of my knob.

Cycling Stasi on 13:53 - Jun 22 with 1777 viewsdolcelatte

Cycling abroad is often different because in the vast majority of countries it is the motorist who is at fault in a collision with a cyclist regardless of actual fault. Hence the drivers give cyclists a much wider berth.

On the subject of berth what is your issue with riding two abreast? Cyclists are allowed to, they take up less than a width of a car and you'd give a car a wide berth overtaking that so why not two cyclists?

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Cycling Stasi on 13:58 - Jun 22 with 1760 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cycling Stasi on 13:29 - Jun 22 by TheBlob

As a pedestrian I've never broken any speeding laws(I wish),never tailgated a fellow walker,have never headbutted a motor and never suffered Pavement Rage.We are the most put upon souls in society.If God had meant us to thrash about the place clad in hideous garb with glazed expressions He would have equipped us with wheels.I was born with feet and the only times i consider utilising rubber is to repair shoes or put on the end of my knob.

"never suffered Pavement Rage"

That's because you live in Wales and haven't had to walk down Oxford Street recently.

Neither have I thank God and the old blood pressure is responding nicely.
Cycling Stasi on 14:02 - Jun 22 with 1757 viewsTheBlob

Cycling Stasi on 13:53 - Jun 22 by dolcelatte

Cycling abroad is often different because in the vast majority of countries it is the motorist who is at fault in a collision with a cyclist regardless of actual fault. Hence the drivers give cyclists a much wider berth.

On the subject of berth what is your issue with riding two abreast? Cyclists are allowed to, they take up less than a width of a car and you'd give a car a wide berth overtaking that so why not two cyclists?

Motorists in general don't faff along at 10mph weaving back and forth in conversation .I slow down for horses but they're useful providers of manure.
I've had enough shit out of cyclists on our narrow roads.And it doesn't grow great rhubarb.

Cycling Stasi on 14:32 - Jun 22 with 1733 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 14:02 - Jun 22 by TheBlob

Motorists in general don't faff along at 10mph weaving back and forth in conversation .I slow down for horses but they're useful providers of manure.
I've had enough shit out of cyclists on our narrow roads.And it doesn't grow great rhubarb.

is that an apology PUNK ? ive no hatred for cyclists I have a dislike for they way they bleat on about how badly there are treated when many dont have a clue about road laws and because they are on a bike dont seem to think laws apply to them ,you think cycle lanes look pretty but dont actually use them you yourself seem proud of the amount of fights you have had with various drivers while cycling. funny I dont carry onm or seem pround about driving my car like a loon because somebody cut me up. then beating them up .

and still no ansa for my simple question about who does and dosnt pay insurance to use the roads.

my wifes rides a horse on public roads she has insurance shes has lost count of the times the weekend lycra bridgade bomb up behind her while riding from no where and causes the horses to spook and possibly cause a major accident to her the horse and the cyclist no hes bombing down a road obvlious to the world listening to something on his ipod.

id love to see her or friends horse kick out and double barrell said cyclist across a couple of fields he might not do it again dont you think

Cycling Stasi on 14:46 - Jun 22 with 1725 viewsQPunkR

Cycling Stasi on 14:32 - Jun 22 by wombat

is that an apology PUNK ? ive no hatred for cyclists I have a dislike for they way they bleat on about how badly there are treated when many dont have a clue about road laws and because they are on a bike dont seem to think laws apply to them ,you think cycle lanes look pretty but dont actually use them you yourself seem proud of the amount of fights you have had with various drivers while cycling. funny I dont carry onm or seem pround about driving my car like a loon because somebody cut me up. then beating them up .

and still no ansa for my simple question about who does and dosnt pay insurance to use the roads.

my wifes rides a horse on public roads she has insurance shes has lost count of the times the weekend lycra bridgade bomb up behind her while riding from no where and causes the horses to spook and possibly cause a major accident to her the horse and the cyclist no hes bombing down a road obvlious to the world listening to something on his ipod.

id love to see her or friends horse kick out and double barrell said cyclist across a couple of fields he might not do it again dont you think

It was in no way an apology - or a retraction - so please don't take it that way

QPR - "shit but local"

Cycling Stasi on 15:12 - Jun 22 with 1689 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 14:46 - Jun 22 by QPunkR

It was in no way an apology - or a retraction - so please don't take it that way

whats a supprise proves what a Pr/ck you are then really

still no reply on who needs to have insurance to use the roads umm what a supprise , ill clean the bull bars esp for you next season xx.

was it you that mentioned about getting a camera to record such incidents of bad driving ? remember a lot of cars also carry the same sort of equipment to record such incidents would hate you to be caught lamping somebody and end up on a GBH charge i wouldnt laugh one little bit
[Post edited 22 Jun 2015 15:23]

Cycling Stasi on 15:21 - Jun 22 with 1698 viewsQPunkR

Cycling Stasi on 15:12 - Jun 22 by wombat

whats a supprise proves what a Pr/ck you are then really

still no reply on who needs to have insurance to use the roads umm what a supprise , ill clean the bull bars esp for you next season xx.

was it you that mentioned about getting a camera to record such incidents of bad driving ? remember a lot of cars also carry the same sort of equipment to record such incidents would hate you to be caught lamping somebody and end up on a GBH charge i wouldnt laugh one little bit
[Post edited 22 Jun 2015 15:23]

If you could actually write in English it would be appreciated

QPR - "shit but local"

Cycling Stasi on 15:24 - Jun 22 with 1691 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 15:21 - Jun 22 by QPunkR

If you could actually write in English it would be appreciated

still no ansa professor lycra xx

Cycling Stasi on 15:25 - Jun 22 with 1689 viewsQPunkR

Cycling Stasi on 15:24 - Jun 22 by wombat

still no ansa professor lycra xx

wtf is 'ansa'?
[Post edited 22 Jun 2015 15:29]

QPR - "shit but local"

Cycling Stasi on 16:06 - Jun 22 with 1654 viewsNW5Hoop

There are pedestrians who acts like tits. There are cyclists who act like tits. There are drivers who act like tits.

The duty of care is always owed from the less vulnerable to the most vulnerable. So drivers should look out or cyclists - even the ones who are behaving like tits. And drivers and cyclists should look out for pedestrians - even the ones who are behaving like tits. Simple, really.
Cycling Stasi on 16:10 - Jun 22 with 1649 viewswombat

Cycling Stasi on 16:06 - Jun 22 by NW5Hoop

There are pedestrians who acts like tits. There are cyclists who act like tits. There are drivers who act like tits.

The duty of care is always owed from the less vulnerable to the most vulnerable. So drivers should look out or cyclists - even the ones who are behaving like tits. And drivers and cyclists should look out for pedestrians - even the ones who are behaving like tits. Simple, really.

agreed does that give cyclists the ok to smack anyone who they deem not fit to use the same road as the cyclist ?

PunkR u have mail buy the way !!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024