Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Albums - Not been done in a while 19:21 - Jun 26 with 5745 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Jamie XX's 'In Colour'. Best I've heard in a while.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 20:45 - Jun 26 with 5711 viewsichbinnaughty

Not new (it's from 2014) but this year has been predominately spent under the shade of "Love" by Amen Dunes.
It has a beautiful slurred narcotic quality to it.
Repeated listens just seem to bring a different track to the fore for a spell.
It's brilliant.
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 21:49 - Jun 26 with 5679 viewskarl

Picking up Selector 'Sub-culture' tomorrow, heard a couple of tracks on Jo Whiley R2 show and thought they were good. Looking forward to it!
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 11:11 - Jun 27 with 5601 viewsR_from_afar

Chatma by Tuareg rockers Tamikrest is one of my favourite new albums. Like Tinariwen but rockier.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 11:15 - Jun 27 with 5598 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Album imminent but every track I've heard is stunning.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 20:11 - Jul 5 with 5518 viewsKernowRanger

Tobias Jesso Jr's album 'Goon' is really really good, as is Father John Misty's 'I Love You Honeybear'. The Novella's self-titled debut is well worth a listen to as is Jessica Pratt's 'On Your Own Love Again'.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2015 2:58]
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 22:50 - Jul 5 with 5449 viewskarl

Enjoying the Selector CD, its not an 80's retro, good solid album.

Picked up Lee Thompson Ska Orchestra CD yesterday and listened to it in the car once, sounds good but gentle stuff.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 22:54]
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 23:47 - Jul 5 with 5420 viewsqpr1976

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 22:50 - Jul 5 by karl

Enjoying the Selector CD, its not an 80's retro, good solid album.

Picked up Lee Thompson Ska Orchestra CD yesterday and listened to it in the car once, sounds good but gentle stuff.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 22:54]

Karl, if you enjoy Ska stuff (and I agree Selecter new one is good and more original than LT's Orchestra one) - May I point you in the direction of 'Specialized'

http://www.specializedproject.co.uk/latestnews/combat-cancer-pre-release/

Last 4 years they have been producing double CD or 4 disk sets of covers from well known bands covered by new upcoming bands (mostly ska or reggae tinged).

1st years nominated artist was Specials (thus the name)
2nd year was The Beat
Last year was Madness
This year (July, ish) will be The Clash who weren't adverse to some skanking themsleves.

Like the Madness 'Mad Not Cancer' edition in 2014, this year 'Combat Cancer' is 4 disk and 76 songs for about £16 - Best of all Profits go to 2 charities - Teenage Cancer & a Music for Youths set up. Some top draw acts, which give you a good flavour of getting other stuff by them.

Anyway, if that's your bag, check it out. They have a Facebook page also.
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 23:59 - Jul 5 with 5410 viewsqpr1976

Regards the OP -

Recent purchases -
Struggling with Paul Wellers new one, much like his last 3. Critics love them, but I think I prefer his first 3 albums (and a few singles) from his solo career. Fair play for still pushing boundaries though.
Blur album is quite good, a bit Gorillaz but a few good tracks that hark back to their Britpop (90's) days.
Kitty, Daisy & Lewis (The Third) is excellent.

Looking forward to -
Specialized 4 Combat Cancer - as above.
Frank Turner - Positive Songs For Negative People on August 7th
Stone Foundation - A Life Unlimited, again august 7th
Libertines - Anthems For Doomed Youth - September 4th
Login to get fewer ads

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 01:35 - Jul 6 with 5386 viewskarl

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 23:47 - Jul 5 by qpr1976

Karl, if you enjoy Ska stuff (and I agree Selecter new one is good and more original than LT's Orchestra one) - May I point you in the direction of 'Specialized'

http://www.specializedproject.co.uk/latestnews/combat-cancer-pre-release/

Last 4 years they have been producing double CD or 4 disk sets of covers from well known bands covered by new upcoming bands (mostly ska or reggae tinged).

1st years nominated artist was Specials (thus the name)
2nd year was The Beat
Last year was Madness
This year (July, ish) will be The Clash who weren't adverse to some skanking themsleves.

Like the Madness 'Mad Not Cancer' edition in 2014, this year 'Combat Cancer' is 4 disk and 76 songs for about £16 - Best of all Profits go to 2 charities - Teenage Cancer & a Music for Youths set up. Some top draw acts, which give you a good flavour of getting other stuff by them.

Anyway, if that's your bag, check it out. They have a Facebook page also.

Will do thanks mate, i havent been buying music for too long but made a decision to get off my a*se and start again.Perhaps surprisingly we do have a good independent 'record' shop (what do you call them now?) owned by a friend of mine up here and i do try and buy all my stuff from him, is this available through independents?
I will definitely buy one and take it from there, seems like a few Ska fans on here so hopefully a few more will give it a try for a good cause!
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 03:37 - Jul 6 with 5367 viewsqpr1976

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 01:35 - Jul 6 by karl

Will do thanks mate, i havent been buying music for too long but made a decision to get off my a*se and start again.Perhaps surprisingly we do have a good independent 'record' shop (what do you call them now?) owned by a friend of mine up here and i do try and buy all my stuff from him, is this available through independents?
I will definitely buy one and take it from there, seems like a few Ska fans on here so hopefully a few more will give it a try for a good cause!

I don't think so. I think online only.

I downloaded the 1st one from iTunes, but bourght the phyical CD sets. From what I can see iTunes still has :
1) Specialized: A Modern Take On Specials Classics (£15.99) 46 songs
2) Specialized 2: Beat Teenage Cancer (£15.99) 47 tracks. Physical 2 CD version is also available from Specialized.

But last years Specialized 3: Mad Not Cancer can only be bourght from the link I gave ealrier. 4 CD's and about 72 tracks in all.
I suspect this years Specialized 4: Combat Cancer will be much the same. 4 disks for sure & 72 to 76 tracks I think.

Maybe Indiependent shops can order them for you, but it's easy online. If you check the FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/simon.kingham.547#!/specializedprojects?fref=ts
Theres loads of detail including clips of the bands and songs included....... Enjoy.
And as you say, really good causes.
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 08:09 - Jul 6 with 5326 viewssimmo

Listening to Leon Bridges recently, love that southern soulful sound.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 12:14 - Jul 6 with 5283 viewsKonk

Good shout, Brian. That video makes me feel very nostalgic for my teens/twenties and piling out of a club, going for something to eat and fannying about in town/walking halfway across London to get home because we couldn’t afford cabs and night buses were irregular and full of lunatics. Good times.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 12:25 - Jul 6 with 5268 viewsultramagnetic

this good to see some real hip hop
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 13:00 - Jul 6 with 5250 viewsrobith

I'm really digging the Wolf Alice album

Also obsessed with this off Everything Everything's new album

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 19:55 - Jul 6 with 5171 viewsOutWestR

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 12:25 - Jul 6 by ultramagnetic

this good to see some real hip hop

Nice one ultra, sounds good.

I've played this loads

And the Large Professor LP is worth a listen.

Totally unrelated, but the reissue of the Phantasm soundtrack is great if you're into your old horror film soundtracks
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 21:19 - Jul 6 with 5131 viewsultramagnetic

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 19:55 - Jul 6 by OutWestR

Nice one ultra, sounds good.

I've played this loads

And the Large Professor LP is worth a listen.

Totally unrelated, but the reissue of the Phantasm soundtrack is great if you're into your old horror film soundtracks

I need hear the large pro album if its like his other albums will be dope. Check the fabreeze brothers bundle the vinyl is dope the cover way it opens and 2 coloured vinyls also a 7 and tape of the vinyl
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 21:47 - Jul 6 with 5113 viewsMonahoop

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 08:09 - Jul 6 by simmo

Listening to Leon Bridges recently, love that southern soulful sound.

I really like this album. Just when you thought old school US soul was dead on its knees, then up pops this guy from Austin, Texas. He's been labelled by some as the new Sam Cooke, but I hate comparisons. I hope to see him at Whelan's in Dublin in September.

I quite like Weller's new album Saturns Pattern, at least 7 of the 9 tracks on it. I think it's his best offering for quite some time, but will never compare as someone has said, to his first 3 solo albums. But at least he's out there still making music.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 23:33 - Jul 6 with 5071 viewsQPR_Nippon

Agree with your OP Brian. Jamie xx probably my album of the year so far.

Can't get into the new Blur album. Thought Albarn's solo effort last year was better.

Other albums I've enjoyed most so far this year:

Nice to have Leftfield and The Orb back and sounding like they were never away. Showing my age now!
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 00:48 - Jul 7 with 5052 viewsqpr1976

Mmmmm ! Sleaford Mods ?

I want to like them, but ......
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 08:41 - Jul 7 with 5016 viewsPeterHucker

really like the new CD by Algiers.

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 16:54 - Jul 7 with 4966 viewsrobith

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 23:33 - Jul 6 by QPR_Nippon

Agree with your OP Brian. Jamie xx probably my album of the year so far.

Can't get into the new Blur album. Thought Albarn's solo effort last year was better.

Other albums I've enjoyed most so far this year:

Nice to have Leftfield and The Orb back and sounding like they were never away. Showing my age now!

Saw leftfield a month ago at the forum, knowing little about them but wife loves them. They were awesome, tore the place down.

If you like that Panda Bear album maybe check out Dan Deacon's new effort

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 17:25 - Jul 7 with 4952 viewsHunterhoop

Not necessarily new, but go listen to Goat's latest album (2nd) and their debut album from 2012. Then read their wiki page. Fascinating. Saw them live at a Glastonbury too and they were bloody excellent.

I must also say, whilst it's not really my genre (sort of grunge/indie/folk), Wolf Alice's debut album is very very good. You really can't pigeon hole it and the album flows well. They were also strong live at Glastonbury.

Obviously Jungle have the best album of the last year or so. ;) I love it.

Gaz Coombes solo album is pretty good too. A few excellent tracks on there.
New Albums - Not been done in a while on 18:27 - Jul 7 with 4912 viewssimmo

New Albums - Not been done in a while on 17:25 - Jul 7 by Hunterhoop

Not necessarily new, but go listen to Goat's latest album (2nd) and their debut album from 2012. Then read their wiki page. Fascinating. Saw them live at a Glastonbury too and they were bloody excellent.

I must also say, whilst it's not really my genre (sort of grunge/indie/folk), Wolf Alice's debut album is very very good. You really can't pigeon hole it and the album flows well. They were also strong live at Glastonbury.

Obviously Jungle have the best album of the last year or so. ;) I love it.

Gaz Coombes solo album is pretty good too. A few excellent tracks on there.

Right, I am going to revisit this Jungle album again and check if there was something I missed first time.

EDIT: I'm sorry Hunter, I just don't get it.... Like a whimsical version of Disclosure...
[Post edited 8 Jul 2015 9:08]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024