Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James McClean. Thoughts 14:14 - Jul 20 with 17141 viewsHayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3167564/Republic-Ireland-int

Disrespectful cnt, or fair play for standing by his principles?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean. Thoughts on 12:59 - Jul 22 with 2302 viewsMvpeter

James McClean. Thoughts on 12:04 - Jul 22 by Watford_Ranger

And I don't doubt he knows that. But if it's a toss-up between offending your family/community or a load of people you don't know it's no contest.

Not saying that's definitely the case but that's how it comes across to me. It really would be easier if he just wasn't on the pitch until the actual match started.

I'd wager that his own community that sent 200,000 people off to fight in WW2 and are finally recovering from the unnecessary divisions during the Troubles wouldn't be too pleased. I know I'm not.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:06 - Jul 22 with 2292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean. Thoughts on 12:59 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

I'd wager that his own community that sent 200,000 people off to fight in WW2 and are finally recovering from the unnecessary divisions during the Troubles wouldn't be too pleased. I know I'm not.

It's hardly caused a ripple over here. It was in and out of the news briefly. The couple of people I spoke to about it and the couple of radio comments I heard were a bit non-plussed by the Daily Mailness of it all.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 13:12]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:07 - Jul 22 with 2283 viewsbob566

James McClean. Thoughts on 06:50 - Jul 22 by SpiritofGregory

I couldn't care less that's where his loyalty lies. I've had enough of people enjoying a great life here and showing disrespect to the culture and heritage of this country. We are too weak and people take advantage of that weakness, time to clamp down on this kind of nonsense, send him packing.

hang on a second. So you don't like him living in England not honouring the culture or heritage. I see that no different to somebody been on a qpr board and posting negative stuff about qpr all the time. Never anything positive to say or seem to like the club yet they still hang around.
James McClean. Thoughts on 13:19 - Jul 22 with 2264 viewsrichpr

Deserves every bit of hate mail / twitter / abuse he gets. If it was on the other foot - an englishman playing in Ireland and he turned his back to the Irish anthem - he would be mullered by press, fans, players etc. If he played in Turkey and did that to the Turkish NA - he probably wouldn't have been able to walk off the pitch. Sick of hypocrits in this country abusing our freedom of speech - disrespectful - sack him!
Will enjoy every bit of flak he gets in every game.
James McClean. Thoughts on 13:28 - Jul 22 with 2250 viewsbob566

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:19 - Jul 22 by richpr

Deserves every bit of hate mail / twitter / abuse he gets. If it was on the other foot - an englishman playing in Ireland and he turned his back to the Irish anthem - he would be mullered by press, fans, players etc. If he played in Turkey and did that to the Turkish NA - he probably wouldn't have been able to walk off the pitch. Sick of hypocrits in this country abusing our freedom of speech - disrespectful - sack him!
Will enjoy every bit of flak he gets in every game.

he's made his stance. Maybe he will get the crap knocked out of him. Would you have made Ali got on that plane to Vietnam. Didn't mean he hated his country.
James McClean. Thoughts on 13:44 - Jul 22 with 2219 viewsTheBlob

James who?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:03 - Jul 22 with 2195 viewsWallyRanger

James McClean. Thoughts on 11:30 - Jul 21 by 1BobbyHazell

I'll tell you what's nonsense - A grown man being forced to turn 90 degrees to the left to face a piece of cloth to satisfy the needs of over emotional frothy mouthed types. There are many countries where people are forced to do such things, this shouldn't be one of them. Absolutely pathetic.

Exactly, whatever happened to democracy?
James McClean. Thoughts on 14:07 - Jul 22 with 2191 viewsWallyRanger

James McClean. Thoughts on 12:37 - Jul 21 by PhilmyRs

Everyone’s entitled to their views and I have no problem with McClean’s stance on not wearing the poppy. I just find this latest incident so unnecessary. A lot of people don’t care much for national anthems, but you still stand and acknowledge them. You don’t need to sing along, hand on chest. He’s not an athlete that’s just won gold and having god save the queen played for him. All he had to do was stand there, looking down if he wanted and nobody would care. But no, he has to turn something very trivial into a big issue.

I’m all for protests, American athletes and the clenched fist etc. but really, would McClean’s community have thought any less of him for standing alongside his (a lot of them foreign) teammates whilst the anthem was played during a pre-season game? This protest seemed more petulant and less thought out than his stance on the poppy.

Just to add, I don’t care too much for all the political stuff, I can’t stand McClean for blatantly cheating and trying to get Green sent off in a crucial semi-final. What I find stranger is that after this attempted deceit a poster on here has claimed that he shook his hand after the game. I wonder if he’d done that had we’d lost as a result of the penalty and subsequent red card? I think if I’d bumped into him after the game shaking his hand would have been the last thing on my mind.

Stand there looking down is what he did though
Login to get fewer ads

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:15 - Jul 22 with 2186 viewsMvpeter

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:06 - Jul 22 by BrianMcCarthy

It's hardly caused a ripple over here. It was in and out of the news briefly. The couple of people I spoke to about it and the couple of radio comments I heard were a bit non-plussed by the Daily Mailness of it all.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 13:12]

I was more thinking in comparison to just facing forward and/or wearing a poppy on Remembrance Sunday.

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:38 - Jul 22 with 2158 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:15 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

I was more thinking in comparison to just facing forward and/or wearing a poppy on Remembrance Sunday.

Yes, I realise that.

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:47 - Jul 22 with 2139 viewsHayesender

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:15 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

Regarding wearing a poppy, no one should be forced to wear one, or to feel guilty about not wearing one.

I wear one out of choice. If we start demonising people who refuse to or won't wear one, then we're just belittling it imo.

On the other hand, those who choose to stand on our streets burning them should have the shite kicked out of them

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:58 - Jul 22 with 2121 viewsMvpeter

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:47 - Jul 22 by Hayesender

Regarding wearing a poppy, no one should be forced to wear one, or to feel guilty about not wearing one.

I wear one out of choice. If we start demonising people who refuse to or won't wear one, then we're just belittling it imo.

On the other hand, those who choose to stand on our streets burning them should have the shite kicked out of them

Nobody should be forced to wear one but nobody should be prevented from looking down on those that don't.

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:04 - Jul 22 with 2114 viewsDeepcutHoop

I'm still confused as to when facing the flag became a thing we have to do during the anthem, and when wearing a poppy wasn't necessary.

When did we all get so precious and judgemental about such minor things?

I don't wear a poppy, but I'll be damned if anyone will accuse me of lacking respect for the war dead. I don't need to show anyone else that I respect them, and remember them, I just do.

If wearing a poppy or facing a flag becomes something mandatory then what's the actual point. What is the gesture worth, if you don't have the choice of whether you do it or not?
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:10 - Jul 22 with 2098 viewsBklynRanger

This thread is still going? Fcuking hell. I wonder if he'e aware of this mass debate? Somebody should write to his mum and tell her.
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:11 - Jul 22 with 2093 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:10 - Jul 22 by BklynRanger

This thread is still going? Fcuking hell. I wonder if he'e aware of this mass debate? Somebody should write to his mum and tell her.

She would probably turn away from the letter and not listen while reading it.

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:17 - Jul 22 with 2087 viewsBklynRanger

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:11 - Jul 22 by BrianMcCarthy

She would probably turn away from the letter and not listen while reading it.

Ha. And she wouldn't be too fond of the stamp either. I've got an 'America Forever' stamp we can use. More neutral.
James McClean. Thoughts on 15:35 - Jul 22 with 2069 viewskensalriser

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:44 - Jul 22 by TheBlob

James who?

Excellent post Sir Blob.

More touchy than a menopause forum sometimes, LfW.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

James McClean. Thoughts on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 1958 viewsbob566

I thought Brian Reade wrote a good piece in the mirror on it

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-james-mcclean-611
James McClean. Thoughts on 10:53 - Jul 24 with 1947 viewslave16

James McClean. Thoughts on 10:38 - Jul 24 by bob566

I thought Brian Reade wrote a good piece in the mirror on it

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-james-mcclean-611

Kirk Broadfoot banned for 10 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33651775

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

James McClean. Thoughts on 11:23 - Jul 24 with 1929 viewsjohncharles

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:10 - Jul 22 by BklynRanger

Tell his mum about his mass debating ?

Strong and stable my arse.

James McClean. Thoughts on 13:52 - Jul 24 with 1850 viewskarl

James McClean. Thoughts on 10:53 - Jul 24 by lave16

Kirk Broadfoot banned for 10 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33651775

Good on the English FA for firmly dealing with this, far too lenient on this type of behaviour from both sides of the Old Firm.
As a side note Broadfoot is from a staunch Protestant area of Ayrshire and all his siblings have the initials KB - short for 'King Billy' (William of Orange for anyone blissfully unaware of the nonsense).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024