Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal 15:28 - Jul 21 with 16442 viewssdm1508

Seen a picture of him on twitter with Palace Officials at their offices. Shame as I thought he was going to be a good keeper for us. Really thought he should have been number 1 this season
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 23:24 - Jul 21 with 3663 viewsTacticalR

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 18:30 - Jul 21 by Gloucs_R

Dont forget his pay cut.....dropping down a league would have meant a lower salary. So moving on again ensures he gets his £££££££££££££.

Dont know why everyone is bitching, nothing we can do.

I really don't see why that should stop us bitching.

Air hostess clique

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 23:30 - Jul 21 with 3639 viewsWilloW4

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 18:30 - Jul 21 by Gloucs_R

Dont forget his pay cut.....dropping down a league would have meant a lower salary. So moving on again ensures he gets his £££££££££££££.

Dont know why everyone is bitching, nothing we can do.

"Whose bitching"?.. You stupid tart.... You know everything , so let others have there say.!!
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 00:30 - Jul 22 with 3539 viewsJigsore

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 19:21 - Jul 21 by simmo

Possibly, if he ever does, it won't be whilst playing for QPR.

I think the difference here is that whilst I think Green has played very well for us generally, I don't rate him that highly in a lot of ways. I think he's an excellent shot stopper, but I also think he's mentally fragile, terrible at distribution and makes poor decisions about when to stay or leave his line. He constantly seems to put more pressure on his defence by not taking ownership and I am never confident when it comes to having to rely on him for anything.

Now I know that McCarthy has not exactly covered himself in glory with his last competitive appearance, but he's got 10 years on Green, and has already shown glimpses of being a really good keeper. I fully expect, once he has a chance to be out and out 1st choice, for him to become a brilliant all round keeper in the modern mould. I really wanted him to stay and for Green to go, but now it won't be that way - so let's wait and see.

If we're looking for alternatives, we can do worse than Alex Smithies at Huddersfield, good age and bags of experience at this level. Probably won't move for a number 2 spot but he's an example of a good alternative
[Post edited 21 Jul 2015 19:28]

Lets face it, as for as goalkeepers go £3.5m is good business for a keeper that made a few starts for us last season and isn't proven in the PL.

there's only so much in saying he's young and will get better too. Quite simply, he might not. McCarthy is not a young 'un, he's 26 in December and he has been playing his trade for over 10 years or more in one form or another. David de Gea and Courtois are both younger than that and are world class keepers...

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 02:01 - Jul 22 with 3484 viewsVancouverHoop

I'm not a massive fan of Green. I wish he looked more commanding, but maybe that's just body language. In spite of his drawbacks however, he should be one of the top two or three keepers in this league for at least another couple of seasons, barring injuries. On a young team coming together for the first time, it's important to have experienced heads in one or two key positions. Goal is one of them.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 02:54 - Jul 22 with 3466 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Not worried about McCarthy going - he hardly covered himself in glory in his 3 appearances.
Green is a good shot stopper but needs help with his distribution especially his kicking.
When Seaman joined us his kicking was awful too - but after a lot of coaching his kicking and distribution became a strength.
We need to coach Green the same way and get a back up younger keeper in.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 08:25 - Jul 22 with 3313 viewsGloucs_R

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 23:30 - Jul 21 by WilloW4

"Whose bitching"?.. You stupid tart.... You know everything , so let others have there say.!!

Lol. Forget your handbag today did you sweetie?

Poll: Are we staying up?

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 08:57 - Jul 22 with 3257 viewsblacky200

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 02:54 - Jul 22 by superhoopdownunder

Not worried about McCarthy going - he hardly covered himself in glory in his 3 appearances.
Green is a good shot stopper but needs help with his distribution especially his kicking.
When Seaman joined us his kicking was awful too - but after a lot of coaching his kicking and distribution became a strength.
We need to coach Green the same way and get a back up younger keeper in.

I think it might be too late to coach Green. Old dog new tricks etc. If he hasn't learnt by now then he is unlikely to.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 09:03 - Jul 22 with 3238 viewsDiscodroids

green comes off his line like a slinky toy and his distribution is more hap hazard than a UN worker chucking bengal famine relief mixture of flour, fats , salts and milk powder of the back of his truck. right club foot job.

he deals with crosses in the same manner as Salems lot MR Barlow , and goes down to low shots like a stop motion what- the- butler- saw animation , at the end of a victorian pier.

he earns in excess of £300 per week and looks like he should be broadening the horizons of the masses to a 14 day package tour to lloret der mar with chris kelly. commands the area like colonel Klink .

going down hill faster than franz klammer on silver surfers cosmic board.

having said that if mcarthy wants to fack off then fack off.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 9:11]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 09:08 - Jul 22 with 3224 viewsDiscodroids

if any one remembers 'Chigley' and the butler 'Brackett' walking down the hall for 5 minutes to answer the door at winkstead statley hall..thats rob green coming off his line that is.

[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 9:11]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 10:51 - Jul 22 with 3118 viewstimcocking

Damn and bloody blast. Sickening.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 12:37 - Jul 22 with 3065 viewsMvpeter

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 17:14 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

I do have an obsession with ludicrous hyperbole, yes.

Please I implore oh master of wisdom tell me how that was ludicrous hyperbole?

Just like how it was ludicrous to suggest that we'd struggle to get staff in right?

Or that Michael Harriman might not be up for an automatic first team spot?

Yes clearly I've been spouting mental theories. Should be committed.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 12:55 - Jul 22 with 3008 viewsAntti_Heinola

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 12:37 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

Please I implore oh master of wisdom tell me how that was ludicrous hyperbole?

Just like how it was ludicrous to suggest that we'd struggle to get staff in right?

Or that Michael Harriman might not be up for an automatic first team spot?

Yes clearly I've been spouting mental theories. Should be committed.

1. Your exact words:
Truly truly pathetic. Worst business of our summer by far if this happens.

- It's not a question of best or worst. He has a minimum fee release clause that can be activated if we go down. What you said there is ludicrous, because there's nothing the club can do about it because it's part of his contract. Hyperbolic because you're making out the club had a choice and that a better deal might be available or the club might be able to force him to stay. I suppose one way of doing that might be to guarantee that he'll start the season as first choice, but I'm not sure that's wise. The club might do better to take the money, a profit on what we paid a year ago, and look elsewhere. Hardly 'truly, truly pathetic' is it?

2. Staff is still an open issue - we don't know whether they're 'struggling' or not. That's simply your projection. We have Ramsey, Gallen, a temporary goalkeeping coach, and a fitness coach. Plus Les. I don't think they need to rush - they're better off making sure they get the right man/men in.

3. I always said if we had Harriman and Furlong we didn't need another right back because we have to start cutting our cloth a little more realistically and not continually buy players when we already have players in that position - even if they're not quite 'good enough'. Redknapp did a similar thing when he got BAE in at the expense of Yun, when we could have just played Yun (despite misgivings about his inexperience) and the season would have panned out in much the same way. Now Harriman has gone on loan, of course we need another right back in. I never argued that Harriman was some amazing player - or Furlong for that matter. I do wonder why we gave him another year if we were going to send him on loan, but that's a separate argument.

4. You would be better suited to Fantasy Island, yes.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 13:05]

Bare bones.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 13:00 - Jul 22 with 2987 viewsJuzzie

Not sure whether mentioned before (can't be arsed to trawl through 3 pages) but even if Green had gone, had any PL club come in and met the requirements of the buy-out clause, McCarthy would have gone even if he was to be #1 goalie at QPR in the Championship.

Seeing so many QPR-bashing posts it's ridiculous. "Only at QPR" "typical QPR" as though it's the clubs fault two of our opponents in Italy pulled out at the last minute. Please, tell me, how is it's QPR's fault the two clubs pulled out?
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 14:37 - Jul 22 with 2898 viewsMvpeter

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 12:55 - Jul 22 by Antti_Heinola

1. Your exact words:
Truly truly pathetic. Worst business of our summer by far if this happens.

- It's not a question of best or worst. He has a minimum fee release clause that can be activated if we go down. What you said there is ludicrous, because there's nothing the club can do about it because it's part of his contract. Hyperbolic because you're making out the club had a choice and that a better deal might be available or the club might be able to force him to stay. I suppose one way of doing that might be to guarantee that he'll start the season as first choice, but I'm not sure that's wise. The club might do better to take the money, a profit on what we paid a year ago, and look elsewhere. Hardly 'truly, truly pathetic' is it?

2. Staff is still an open issue - we don't know whether they're 'struggling' or not. That's simply your projection. We have Ramsey, Gallen, a temporary goalkeeping coach, and a fitness coach. Plus Les. I don't think they need to rush - they're better off making sure they get the right man/men in.

3. I always said if we had Harriman and Furlong we didn't need another right back because we have to start cutting our cloth a little more realistically and not continually buy players when we already have players in that position - even if they're not quite 'good enough'. Redknapp did a similar thing when he got BAE in at the expense of Yun, when we could have just played Yun (despite misgivings about his inexperience) and the season would have panned out in much the same way. Now Harriman has gone on loan, of course we need another right back in. I never argued that Harriman was some amazing player - or Furlong for that matter. I do wonder why we gave him another year if we were going to send him on loan, but that's a separate argument.

4. You would be better suited to Fantasy Island, yes.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2015 13:05]

'What you said is ludicrous because there's nothing that the club could have done except these things that are obviously possible' 'what you said is hyperbolic because there's nothing that the club could have done except these things that are obviously possible'

The club might do better with actually trying to keep the player they've invested in rather than to sell him at a significant loss.

Staff is still a completely open issue in that they haven't recruited a single person and its late July. Either they haven't attempted to hire anyone or they have struggled. The failure to meet several deadlines is a clear indication of that struggle.

And I always said that we should loan one of them out (I actually thought it should be Furlong) and bring in someone with experience. That was also dubbed a ludicrous idea.

Reality disagrees.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 15:14 - Jul 22 with 2862 viewsNorthernr

Good grief it's all terribly grown up in here isn't it
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 15:19 - Jul 22 with 2849 viewsAntti_Heinola

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 14:37 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

'What you said is ludicrous because there's nothing that the club could have done except these things that are obviously possible' 'what you said is hyperbolic because there's nothing that the club could have done except these things that are obviously possible'

The club might do better with actually trying to keep the player they've invested in rather than to sell him at a significant loss.

Staff is still a completely open issue in that they haven't recruited a single person and its late July. Either they haven't attempted to hire anyone or they have struggled. The failure to meet several deadlines is a clear indication of that struggle.

And I always said that we should loan one of them out (I actually thought it should be Furlong) and bring in someone with experience. That was also dubbed a ludicrous idea.

Reality disagrees.

1. How do you know they haven't tried? They likely have. Just as Reading probably did last year when we signed him. Not sure how we've had a 'significant loss' - we sold for more than we paid.

2. Several deadlines? What deadlines?

3. Never said ludicrous - it was needless, as I explained above.

Bare bones.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 16:01 - Jul 22 with 2774 viewsMvpeter

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 15:19 - Jul 22 by Antti_Heinola

1. How do you know they haven't tried? They likely have. Just as Reading probably did last year when we signed him. Not sure how we've had a 'significant loss' - we sold for more than we paid.

2. Several deadlines? What deadlines?

3. Never said ludicrous - it was needless, as I explained above.

1. Because we have openly declared that we want him 'for the future' repeatedly this summer. No we are selling for just over half of what we paid. He was reported to have signed for £6 million.

2. Players returning and the start of the tour. There is no way in hell that Les didn't want his staff ready by these dates. We've hired exactly 0 staff members. To believe it will be fine is one thing but to believe this doesn't indicate our struggle is truly ludicrous, of course they want the staff in now.

3. Ah needless! That's what it is now, ah well that explains the extreme reaction. And apparently it wasn't. And you still haven't provided an example of one instance in which a professional team entered a season without a single recognised senior player at a certain position. Why? Because it is not standard practice.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 16:20 - Jul 22 with 2711 viewsBluce_Ree

Cool. He may as well go and sit on Palace's bench. He's not displacing King Green any time soon.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 16:36 - Jul 22 with 2690 viewsdaveB

not sure what the confusion is, he had a release clause should we be relegated, probably wouldn't have signed without it. I think he was expected to be number one last season but Green did well and kept him out. I think he needs to be playing regular football and it's a poor move for him but his decision.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 17:44 - Jul 22 with 2612 viewsClive_Anderson

Not really that bothered he never looked all that good was on good money, happy to sit on the bench and getting a larger fee than we paid for him.
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 17:51 - Jul 22 with 2596 viewsterryb

Have I missed something, or is this "move" still just speculation?

I would argue that the club couldn't afford both goalkeepers last season, let alone in the Championship! At least half of the Premier clubs have a second choise 'keeper that we would not consider as anywhere near good enough for our first choice. Certainly, no Championship side would have a back up as good or as expensive as Green & McCarthy.

One of them has to go. The decision as to which one is not in our hands. The choice will be made by other clubs as to who they want & how much they are willing to pay.

McCarthy seems to be their choice. By definition, the reserve 'keeper is exactly that & anyone above that level would be a luxury. To pay Premier wages for around five appearances a season shouls not be part of our business model.

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/39852/alex-mccarthy-signs#ixzz3gdgpnRXq
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 17:56 - Jul 22 with 2584 viewsWallyRanger

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 16:01 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

1. Because we have openly declared that we want him 'for the future' repeatedly this summer. No we are selling for just over half of what we paid. He was reported to have signed for £6 million.

2. Players returning and the start of the tour. There is no way in hell that Les didn't want his staff ready by these dates. We've hired exactly 0 staff members. To believe it will be fine is one thing but to believe this doesn't indicate our struggle is truly ludicrous, of course they want the staff in now.

3. Ah needless! That's what it is now, ah well that explains the extreme reaction. And apparently it wasn't. And you still haven't provided an example of one instance in which a professional team entered a season without a single recognised senior player at a certain position. Why? Because it is not standard practice.

I like how you pulled a random figure out of thin air, undisclosed fees are great for when you want to spin the bullsh*t wheel
McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 18:11 - Jul 22 with 2561 viewsAntti_Heinola

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 16:01 - Jul 22 by Mvpeter

1. Ramsey: “At the moment I’m considering them both in contention to start the season and we’ll have to wait and see over the next few weeks what happens... he's part of our future plans.” But Green, deservedly, is the man in possession. I think Ramsey would have preferred him to stay, but he can't just guarantee him first team football. I think, as I said, that would be unwise. Ramsey also said he'd like to keep him but 'sometimes finances dictate otherwise.' Whether we paid £6m or closer to £2m, there's nothing the club can do if he has a relegation release clause. And if the club really did agree to a clause that was £2.5m less than they were paying at the time, then the bad deal isn't this summer, it was last summer. The £6m figure came from people saying he was 'rated' at £6m - it was undiscolsed, so none of us know. As far as I now, release clauses tend not to be half of a fee just paid, although I don't put it past the club to make such an unwise deal! Still, there's nothing Les, Ramsey or Hoos can do about it now - and none of them had anything to do with it last year.

2. I'm sure Les did want staff in by now. But all sorts of reasons could be delaying it. We haven't hired any coaching staff, but in terms of first team, we lost Jordan, Bond, Redknapp and Hitchcock. They have been replaced by Ramsey, Gallen, Suckling temporarily, and Les. As I said, I'm sure they want staff in now. My argument with you there was always your statement that you couldn't understand why anyone would want to work with Ramsey.

3. I'll try and explain slowly to you. If a club has two right backs, plus a centre back who has played about 100-odd games in that position in the Premier League, and that club is £200m in debt, and has a reasonably decent squad, it does not need to rush out and buy another one. It just doesn't. It's about accepting there will be some limitations in the squad and trying to do the best with what you have - like most clubs without the kind of stupid money we've been flinging about for years might do. I don't need to answer your question about the club entering a season without a single recognised senior player, because everyone else did it for me: Harriman has around 100 senior games under his belt. Maybe not in the Championship, but senior games nonetheless and he's 22, so hardly an inexperienced teenager, and as I pointed out, Onuoha, whether you like it or not and whether it's his best position or not, has played dozens of games as an RB at a higher level than the Championship.

However, in 2001-2, Arsenal only had one recognised left back, a very young Ashley Cole, who'd only played 15 PL games at that stage. A reasonable comparison with Harriman, although he's a better player, is Brentford's regular left back last year, Jake Bidwell, who'd never played at Champ level, having played about 60-odd games in League One, but was a regular last season. He was 21 at the start of the season. His likely back up (although wasn't needed) was likely Jack O'Connell, 20 at the start of last season, with loans at the likes of Rochdale previously. Brentford's two main central defenders, Harlee Dean (23 at start of season) and James Tarkowski (21 at start of season), had not played at champ level before either. Brentford came 5th last season. I can't be bothered to research every club's history over the last 10 seasons to find more examples.

Bare bones.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 07:05 - Jul 23 with 2387 viewsMvpeter

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 17:56 - Jul 22 by WallyRanger

I like how you pulled a random figure out of thin air, undisclosed fees are great for when you want to spin the bullsh*t wheel

Most widely quoted figure at the time. I checked.

McCarthy to Palace looks a done deal on 08:33 - Jul 23 with 2270 viewsDiscodroids

this fu cking thread is more irritating then charles dances spectacular attempt at a cockney accent in the film ' st georges day ', but at the same time strangely beguiling ..like the south bank show with melvyn Bragg.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024