Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! 11:37 - Jul 25 with 35484 viewsSpiritofGregory

Has anyone else on here been following the American election?

Trump has got all the lefties wound up with his no nonsense, unpolitically correct straight talking.

The Democrats have also got their own version on Corbyn who is rivalling Hilary Clinton.

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:36 - Aug 7 with 3855 viewsAntti_Heinola

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:50 - Aug 7 by SpiritofGregory

Inspectors now have to give 24 days notice before they can inspect their plants, Iran will also make billions out of this deal. No doubt some of it will be used to fund terrorism - so much for making the world a safer place.

Obama has a habit of announcing such deals as a success and everyone buys into it until they look through all the gloss and then think, oh shit.

The Iranians openly laughed at America after the deal was signed.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2015 9:52]

Openly laughed? Are you sure? Or did they laugh behind their hands, or pretend to turn it into a cough. What were they laughing at? 'hee hee, you think we're friends but we're going toBOMB THE SH!T OUT OF YOU! Heehee!' Which Iranians? The politicians or the public? Or everyone?
Miserable SoG, you do say some funny things.

Bare bones.

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 12:08 - Aug 7 with 3806 viewsR_from_afar

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:50 - Aug 7 by SpiritofGregory

Inspectors now have to give 24 days notice before they can inspect their plants, Iran will also make billions out of this deal. No doubt some of it will be used to fund terrorism - so much for making the world a safer place.

Obama has a habit of announcing such deals as a success and everyone buys into it until they look through all the gloss and then think, oh shit.

The Iranians openly laughed at America after the deal was signed.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2015 9:52]

All the pointless wars that the US has started and the 70th anniversary of them dropping the bomb - sorry, bombs - and you are fretting about the Third World War the Iranians are about to start? Man alive!

But perhaps you're right: After all alienating nations is renowned as a sound strategy for fostering peace.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 13:04 - Aug 7 with 3773 viewsTacticalR

To return to the matter at hand, a book published a couple of years ago about America's decline by Edward Luce (the American correspondent of the Financial Times) 'Time to Start Thinking: America in the Age of Descent' describes two camps within the American establishment - those who want to continue with a free market policy, and those who want an industrial policy. One of his interviewees is Jeff Immelt the CEO of General Electric...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Broadly speaking there are two groups: those who hold on to the conventional [free market] wisdom, including most of Washington’s leading economists, but with waning ardor; and those who challenge it with an increasingly conventional alternative of their own. The latter includes many business leaders, such as Jeff Immelt, of General Electric, and numbers more public scientists and engineers than economists. They believe that America can maintain its global economic supremacy only if it regains an innovative – and jobs-rich – manufacturing sector. Sometimes, such as on the need to overhaul U.S. education, the two camps overlap.

Their biggest gulf is over industrial policy. Those arguing for the alternative conventional wisdom have gained little ground. But they have become more strident as America’s great contraction continues. Immelt even slapped down Jack Welch, his legendary predecessor, who infamously boasted about GE’s ability to shift jobs overseas at a moment’s notice. “Ideally, you’d have every plant you own on a barge to move with currencies and changes in the economy,” Welch said in 1998.

It took me a while to get an interview with Immelt, who became more wary of such requests after the New York Times published a piece breaking down GE’s minuscule annual tax payments. The company’s army of lawyers and tax advisers had used every loophole to ensure that GE paid a grand total of zero federal taxes on its $5.1 billion of U.S. profit in 2010.11 The company even claimed a rebate from the Internal Revenue Service. That’s what a thousand-strong tax department can do for its employer.

Among Immelt’s implicit targets were economists such as Lawrence Summers, who was Obama’s senior economic adviser during 2009 and 2010 and who has always been impatient with any hint of industrial policy. But Immelt could have meant any number of others. To judge by the strength of Immelt’s feelings, the less tutored ones should tread warily when they next meet him. “I read all of these Washington reports and think tank studies that say, Let the market work, except that the guys who are writing the books in China think it’s f***ing bullshit: ‘Please let those guys in Washington, D.C., keep reading those books. Things are going just fine.’”

By the standards of most modern-day business leaders, Immelt’s words were forceful, even if they seem to clash with what Immelt himself has done at GE. In spite of disowning his predecessor’s unsentimental approach to the U.S. labor force, Immelt has only extended the globalization of GE that Welch had begun. More than half of GE’s workforce of nearly three hundred thousand are now employed outside of America – up from a third when Immelt took over in 2001. Immelt argues that he has had little choice. “I would like nothing more than to create more jobs in America,” he said. “But we have to pay attention to where the markets are.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The point is that although Immelt doesn't like his predecessor's 'let it rip' economics, in practice, driven by the imperatives of the world market, he does exactly the same thing.

By the way, Luce is a quite naive about this debate as another author has pointed out that the US state has always been heavily interventionist in certain sectors:

'Moreover, even when it shifted to freer (if not absolutely free) trade, the US government promoted key industries by another means, namely, public funding of R&D. Between the 1950s and the mid-1990s, US federal government funding accounted for 50-70% of the country’s total R&D funding, which is far above the figure of around 20%, found in such 'government-led' countries as Japan and Korea. Without federal government funding for R&D, the US would not have been able to maintain its technological lead over the rest of the world in key industries like computers, semiconductors, life sciences, the internet and aerospace.'

Ha-Joon Chang Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism (2008)

Air hostess clique

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 13:31 - Aug 7 with 3726 viewsBluce_Ree

Tomorrow this forum will be all football chat.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:13 - Sep 9 with 3543 viewsTacticalR

I've experienced a new level of racism since Donald Trump went after Latinos
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/09/donald-trump-racism-increas

One thing the article shows is that racism, far from being natural, is a creation of the elites (although that is not necessarily the way it appears to the author of the article).

Air hostess clique

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 08:54 - Sep 10 with 3459 viewsDiscodroids

Hopefully The redneck states will soon be free, From fighting, violence and People crying in the street. With Donald coming down from above and spreading his wigs like doves, we can walk hand in hand brothers and sisters and make it to the Promised land .

Joe smooth,
UKIP popular front of north chingford.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:02 - Sep 10 with 3453 viewsKonk

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 08:54 - Sep 10 by Discodroids

Hopefully The redneck states will soon be free, From fighting, violence and People crying in the street. With Donald coming down from above and spreading his wigs like doves, we can walk hand in hand brothers and sisters and make it to the Promised land .

Joe smooth,
UKIP popular front of north chingford.

Donald Trump seems like a really, really, really offensive version of Prince Philip. The fact that he can be the leading candidate for the Republicans is thoroughly depressing.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:32 - Sep 10 with 3443 viewsDorse

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:02 - Sep 10 by Konk

Donald Trump seems like a really, really, really offensive version of Prince Philip. The fact that he can be the leading candidate for the Republicans is thoroughly depressing.

Makes you long for the days of MILFy wolf-huntress Sarah Palin....

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 06:13 - Sep 17 with 3361 viewsFDC

Here's hero of Mexican workers having a solid go at doing every emoji face in under 7 seconds.

[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 6:13]
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 19:27 - Sep 17 with 3289 viewsBklynRanger

Those face are good but I was looking for more from The Donald last night. He was made to look like a bit of naive muppet over some things, particularly foreign policy. I'm sure he'll be around for a while yet.

That saucy minx Carli Fiorino was the most improved player, with sweaty man Marco Rubio second on the most improved. Fiorino also won the "I hate abortion more than you" competition by getting really angry and tearful about it and the "I'm an expert on drugs" competition by having a child who'd died from them.

Jeb Bush was his usual steady, tedious self, and you know you're looking at 11 lunatics when Rand Paul is the only one talking sense.
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 20:05 - Sep 17 with 3269 viewseasthertsr

All of that shower would be an utter disaster! What planet are they on? Its like being in a 1950's time warp!
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 04:08 - Sep 18 with 3203 viewsFDC

Bloody hell.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/sep/18/donald-trump-correct-questi
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 05:46 - Sep 18 with 3192 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 13:35 - Jul 25 by Bluce_Ree

Sake!

Trump's a c*nt, SoG. You think you get that much money buy being an okay guy? He loves one thing: money. If doesn't give a f**k about American and even if he did, if you believe that one man can change America and "make it great", then you're an idiot.

The guy is going to suck corporate c0ck for all he's worth and he'll make a few strategic partners incredibly rich. IF the American public is stupid enough to vote for him, which even they aren't.

Still, I guess this thread is proof that a bit of good ol' Mexican hating will win you fans somewhere.

This is just a blip, which I am sure we shall overcomb.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:58 - Sep 18 with 3158 viewsTHEBUSH

Phew, America great country, shame about the people, especially the political class
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:01 - Sep 18 with 3159 viewsKonk

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 09:58 - Sep 18 by THEBUSH

Phew, America great country, shame about the people, especially the political class

Most of the Americans I know and have met have actually been really sound. And it's not like there aren't plenty of idiots in the UK too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:24 - Sep 18 with 3146 viewsTHEBUSH

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:01 - Sep 18 by Konk

Most of the Americans I know and have met have actually been really sound. And it's not like there aren't plenty of idiots in the UK too.

Hi Konk, I've worked in America and perhaps it was just the Americans I worked with, but I found them quite ignorant of what goes on in the outside world.
Perhaps it's the education system and the media, but imo the general public know very little about what's really happening on this planet or ours.
I've met quite a few of the American military who've traveled and they are so much more clued up about the outside world.
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 11:11 - Sep 18 with 3129 viewsisawqpratwcity

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:24 - Sep 18 by THEBUSH

Hi Konk, I've worked in America and perhaps it was just the Americans I worked with, but I found them quite ignorant of what goes on in the outside world.
Perhaps it's the education system and the media, but imo the general public know very little about what's really happening on this planet or ours.
I've met quite a few of the American military who've traveled and they are so much more clued up about the outside world.

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

Ambrose Bierce

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 15:13 - Sep 18 with 3103 viewsBklynRanger

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 10:24 - Sep 18 by THEBUSH

It's definitely true that Americans grasp of geography etc is really poor. The most telling example is people who I know who are really clever but start screwing up their faces when you mention any kind of smaller foreign country. It's mainly due I'd say to a certain type of insular thinking - it's a big country and for many the individual states are what they focus on - they learn the state capitals rather than the world capitals. Some of that insular stuff feeds into the social stuff: Americans like to be friendly but they also prefer to spend a lot more time with their own families and one or two close friends. There's really very little pub culture at all here, despite what Cheers might have led us to believe. I know that stuff is waning in the UK anyway these days with the advent of 12 quid pints.*

*NB: All of the above are my own biased generalisations based on 16 years of living here.
*NNB: Donald Trump is still, definitely, a fcukwit.
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:00 - Sep 18 with 3025 viewskensalriser

'merican once asked me if Paris was in London. True story.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:26 - Sep 18 with 3012 viewsHollowayRanger

trump wont win he's leading as all the nutters are voting for him

everyone else voting for others

as they drop out their votes will go to the other normal ones standing

trump will stay at around 20-25%

Christ imaging a world with president trump and president putin

WW3 before 2020

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:56 - Sep 18 with 2993 viewsFredManRave

[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 23:01]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 23:08 - Sep 18 with 2987 viewsBklynRanger

Both of those are great Fred. There is one definite flaw with the second one though - the 'Curry' place. Most Americans are not big fans of Indian food. That might be better off being called 'The Shits' or 'Yoga Land'.
Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 23:16 - Sep 18 with 2979 viewsTacticalR

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:26 - Sep 18 by HollowayRanger

WW3 before 2020

Is Donald Trump an American Putin?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/is-donald-trump-an-american-putin/2015/0

Air hostess clique

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 07:48 - Sep 19 with 2919 viewsisawqpratwcity

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 22:26 - Sep 18 by HollowayRanger

WW3 before 2020

"WW3 before 2020"

Damn, you had me looking forward to the 2020 Corbyn-led British Moslem Workers Paradise.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Donald Trump - Make America Great Again! on 16:14 - Sep 19 with 2829 viewsDylanP

Is it time for a sub? Mackie for Phillips?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024