Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Story Songs 13:39 - Jul 28 with 23488 viewsjamois

I totally respect the varied and deep muso knowledge held by everyone on this forum. Therefore I was interested in suggestions you have for tracks where the lyrics tell a story or have a very specific meaning/philosophy.

My 8yr old girl is massively into music, real music, which is great. She hasn't a clue what X Factor or 1D is in fact and I intend to keep it that way! But where she hooks into songs is in the lyrics. She likes stuff that tells a story or has a clear meaning (and obviously the tune needs to be great too). Examples of stuff she likes now...

Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles
Children's Story - Slick Rick
Chuck Es in Love - Rikki Lee Jones
War Pigs - Black Sabbath

Your suggestions could help make a great playlist, thankee sirs!...

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Story Songs on 11:49 - Jul 29 with 2811 viewslondonscottish

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Story Songs on 11:52 - Jul 29 with 2801 viewslondonscottish

Story Songs on 11:55 - Jul 29 with 2796 viewslondonscottish

Love the intro. Proper story.

Story Songs on 12:40 - Jul 29 with 2771 viewslondonscottish

So many Steely Dan/Donald Fagan songs to choose from. I'll take this one; pure pastiche of US optimism in the 60's. Particularly amusing that it comes for a cynical old f*ck like Fagan :-)

Ninety minutes from NewYork to Paris
(More leisure for artists everywhere)
A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

Story Songs on 13:22 - Jul 29 with 2747 viewsjamois

I'm overwhelmed by the response here, amazing. So much to choose from, so much variety. I hoped it would make a good thread. Here's one of my favourites that I think qualifies as a story song.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Story Songs on 13:42 - Jul 29 with 2738 viewsR_from_afar

Nice thread! Primus and Half Man Half Biscuit have written tons of story songs. Here are a couple of examples:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Story Songs on 14:03 - Jul 29 with 2723 viewsTacticalR

Story Songs on 13:22 - Jul 29 by jamois

I'm overwhelmed by the response here, amazing. So much to choose from, so much variety. I hoped it would make a good thread. Here's one of my favourites that I think qualifies as a story song.

But do we want to burden young girls with stories about people getting beaten up on public transport? Because young girls, they do get weary.

Air hostess clique

Story Songs on 14:19 - Jul 29 with 2704 viewsscot1963

I think young girls are fairly resilient - I can recall singing lots of songs that I've only understood as I've got older and then you remember singing away not having a clue. In fact, I've only just found out what a 'red light off the wrist' meant because Blob told me and I thought I was pretty well versed in dodgy lyrics

(ps I did get Tactical's song reference above but was just adding a general comment on understanding song lyrics at a young age)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 18:02]
Login to get fewer ads

Story Songs on 14:24 - Jul 29 with 2693 viewsTheBlob

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Story Songs on 15:21 - Jul 29 with 2675 viewsMetallica_Hoop

'Godspeed on the Devil's Thunde'r by Cradle of Filth is one massive story about Gilles de Rais.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais

Great album but deffo not one for the kids.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Story Songs on 08:18 - Jul 30 with 2616 viewsTacticalR

Story Songs on 14:19 - Jul 29 by scot1963

I think young girls are fairly resilient - I can recall singing lots of songs that I've only understood as I've got older and then you remember singing away not having a clue. In fact, I've only just found out what a 'red light off the wrist' meant because Blob told me and I thought I was pretty well versed in dodgy lyrics

(ps I did get Tactical's song reference above but was just adding a general comment on understanding song lyrics at a young age)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 18:02]

This is where a man of the world like Blob comes in handy.

Air hostess clique

Story Songs on 08:43 - Jul 30 with 2589 viewslondonscottish

Story Songs on 13:22 - Jul 29 by jamois

I think so many people have posted because it's such a great idea for a thread.

I also have an eight year old girl and can't stand getting in the car when she and her older brother have switched the radio to Kiss and all that horribly over-manufactured bilge come pouring out. Mind you, they complain if I put on house music or Talk Sport.....

At home we keep it pretty varied, mainly thanks to Spotify. There's so much good stuff out there old and new if you know where to look.

Story Songs on 10:21 - Jul 30 with 2571 viewswestberksr

Prince - sign of the times
Specials - too much too young
Bobby Womack - i wish he didn't trust me so much
wilton felder - no matter how high
Booby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart

in fact pretty much most of Bobby Womack's catalogue as that was one fukked up life laid down on vinyl.

maybe none of these for an 8 year as i'm getting melancholy/depressed just thinking about the content!
[Post edited 30 Jul 2015 10:22]
Story Songs on 10:58 - Jul 30 with 2543 viewslondonscottish

Gotta to have some Ray Lamontagne

Story Songs on 11:00 - Jul 30 with 2539 viewslondonscottish

"I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left".

Story Songs on 11:06 - Jul 30 with 2534 viewslondonscottish

Bonny Prince Bill aka Will Oldham. (actually he's affectionately known as Bumface in my house). Anyway, great story song.

Story Songs on 11:40 - Jul 30 with 2524 viewslondonscottish

More beardy folky stories...

Story Songs on 11:43 - Jul 30 with 2521 viewslondonscottish

Whilst we're doing folky/county stuff this one cracks me up. Scissor Scissors/serial killer crossover.

Story Songs on 11:49 - Jul 30 with 2512 viewsTheBlob

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Story Songs on 11:59 - Jul 30 with 2500 viewshopphoops

Great stuff on here. Here's a story about a song... I used to work with the granddaughter of a sheriff in Mississippi that had some run-ins with Charley Patton, who immortalised him in Tom Rushen Blues. He was famous for being athletic - you couldn't outrun him - and fair and not racist. Charley Patton gave him a copy of the song.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Story Songs on 12:01 - Jul 30 with 2502 viewslondonscottish

My Dad loved that :-)

Story Songs on 12:09 - Jul 30 with 2491 viewsade_qpr

Couple I don't think have been mentioned
Coming Dancing by The Kinks
Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
America by Simon and Garfunkel
The River by Bruce Springsteen
Piano Man by Billy Joel

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Story Songs on 12:27 - Jul 30 with 2478 viewsrobith

If you can get over how maudlin his stuff is, Casiotone For The Painfully Alone was amazing at this

Also not a single song, but one of the great albums of the last decade The Monitor by Titus Andronicus is a really interesting story of the narrator imaging his life if he had lived during the American Civil War. It's an incredible piece of work
Story Songs on 12:29 - Jul 30 with 2471 viewsrobith

Actually my favourite Casiotone

Story Songs on 13:42 - Jul 30 with 2452 viewsR_from_afar

Some crackers on here!

Here's a gem from Barnsley's greatest bard:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024