Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
N/T - Gall Bladder advice 21:28 - Jul 28 with 2082 viewsdanehoop

OK chaps,

drawing on the huge amount of experience on this board Just been told that I need to have this done (having spent 2 days in and out of A&E with an infected gall bladder after a third flare up in a year). The pain was unbelievable and absolutely wiped me out.

Now looking at the options but read a few horror stories and the leaflets from the doctors seem to indicate that it isn't without risks/side effects.

I'd be grateful for any advice or experiences from anyone has gone through it.

Never knowingly understood

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 21:42 - Jul 28 with 2048 viewsoldmeadoniansR

Hello mate.

My dad has just got back from the hospital today. They recommend that he has the operation. Apparently keyhole surgery and can be done in a day. He spoke to two people who had had it done and was really positive. I know for a fact that their next door neighbour has had it and she remains as cranky as ever.

He is due to have it removed in a month.

Good luck
N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 21:43 - Jul 28 with 2047 viewsBucksRanger

Can't offer much advice. Had my gallbladder removed about 30 years ago - pre keyhole surgery. Got an 'S' shaped scar across the right hand side of my stomach. Never had any kind of problem subsequent to the surgery although the stomach muscles took time to repair. Definitely not as strong as before.

Hope it all goes well for you.
N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 22:02 - Jul 28 with 2015 viewsLblock

My Mum had this done 18 months ago after living with unbearable pain for months and months
I saw the largest stone her German surgeon took out and I was shocked - it looked like a miniature cannon ball.

If you need it done get it done asap. A woman in the bed a couple down from my Mum left her's too long and developed pancreatitus -- proper nasty
In terms of the op it all went brilliantly for my Mum. The Jerry lady who did it was, as you'd imagine, very matter of fact, precise and clinical and big respect to Hammersmith Hospital on that. Post op she was in hospital about a week and back to her self in probably 2 months after that.
She still has issues now and then if she eats stuff she shouldn't - spicy stuff effects her plus cherries, tomatoes, mince pies, chocolate and a few other things but these are very much down to the individual and some have no such side effects.

The sad thing for me is.... I just know this awaits me! With the issues I've had with kidney stones, my G.I. bleed and ongoing acid reflux caused by hiatus hernia combined with my "lifestyle" I'll be coming to an operating table near you soon.

Good luck mate and just remember EVERY procedure comes with a risk and the quacks HAVE to point this out for fear of this fcukin claims culture this worls is gripped in. Sure you'll be just fine as it's a common op these days

G.W.S

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 22:32 - Jul 28 with 1950 viewspomanjou

I had mine removed about 10 years ago, keyhole with three small incisions. No regrets after sometimes suffering intense attacks similar to having a coronary.

One you have had it you do have to respect the fact that too much fatty food or acid food will make you fell rather ill and sometimes have 'phantom' pains on the right side although with no gall bladder there are no stones.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 22:47 - Jul 28 with 1933 viewsAgedR

Had mine out three years ago after suffering repetitive pain. It was inflamed and bloody sore.

Keyhole surgery, in and out same day, back to work in a couple of days. Back playing a some sport in a month. Absolute doddle.

The only downside is, as it effectively removes the bile duct, you will find certain food and drink combinations can cause, ahem, the shits and pain. So lay off too much ESB and chicken dhansak.

Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend the operation. For me (and you I guess) it also removed an organ that had a chance of becoming cancerous in the long term.

Good luck!

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 23:11 - Jul 28 with 1905 viewsdanehoop

Thanks guys,

this has been a nasty experience so far, not helped by being misdiagnosed early on do I have had a year of discomfort. The positive so far is that I have lost 10 Kilos in 6 months from this, albeit I wouldn't recommend the gall bladder diet to anyone!

I was interested in hearing of the after effects, and hearing the experiences so far is really encouraging. Having altered my diet so much to go low fat and avoid anything which may upset me, I think I'd find it difficult to eat what I used anyway, so hearing that I'd probably should keep avoiding them feels encouraging.

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 23:28 - Jul 28 with 1884 viewsTheBlob

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 22:32 - Jul 28 by pomanjou

I had mine removed about 10 years ago, keyhole with three small incisions. No regrets after sometimes suffering intense attacks similar to having a coronary.

One you have had it you do have to respect the fact that too much fatty food or acid food will make you fell rather ill and sometimes have 'phantom' pains on the right side although with no gall bladder there are no stones.

My disabled brother has had his done and still suffers mysterious pains in the side which may be residuals still there though scans show nothing.
It's an easy routine procedure so don't worry.And you get to keep the stones in a jar to entertain your relatives.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 23:55 - Jul 28 with 1852 viewsisawqpratwcity

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 23:28 - Jul 28 by TheBlob

My disabled brother has had his done and still suffers mysterious pains in the side which may be residuals still there though scans show nothing.
It's an easy routine procedure so don't worry.And you get to keep the stones in a jar to entertain your relatives.

My unemployment counsellor was going to try to sell his on eBay, reckons they are Chinese medicine!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 00:07 - Jul 29 with 1844 viewsBrightonhoop

My fathers caused major ructions in the family, just do it as they say, outcomes were positive. Apart from him being burgled whilst in recovery, so hide your silver from M25 types, that's all I can recommend. The very same man has outlived his family by 30 years. Not sure that is a triumph or curse, but fear fck all.
Go for it, come out the other side more comfortable.
Good luck,man. Sincerely.
Let us know how you get on.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2015 0:10]
N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 08:21 - Jul 29 with 1736 viewsbrendan

I had mine out 4 years ago after suffering serious pain for years. It was supposed to be a one day job but the gallbladder was fused to my liver so it took a bit of serious yanking to get it out.
The absence of pain really made it worth it.
A low fat diet is recommended afterwards, which is a good thing
Also, a biopsy on a piece of my liver that came away with the gallbladder showed liver damage due to drinking, so my alcohol intake has had to be modified.
Definitely recommended getting it out
N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 09:31 - Jul 29 with 1698 viewsnix

I had mine done ten years ago after suffering similar pains to childbirth (so now you know!) off and on for twelve months and being misdiagnosed with an ulcer. I also ended up getting pancreatitis when a stone got stuck in one of the ducts, which is when I got the correct diagnosis. That's very nasty and makes you really ill - I wasn't allowed to eat for a week to let everything settle down - and frankly I didn't want to risk it. Because of the risk of infection by not getting it done, I really recommend you go ahead.

The op wasn't too bad at all - I had keyhole. I felt a bit feeble for a couple of weeks but since then the only real symptoms are when I need to go, I really need to go and I can't eat too much fat in one sitting. It's definitely worth that just to avoid that awful pain.

Good luck and keep us posted!
N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 10:12 - Jul 29 with 1675 viewsdanehoop

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 09:31 - Jul 29 by nix

I had mine done ten years ago after suffering similar pains to childbirth (so now you know!) off and on for twelve months and being misdiagnosed with an ulcer. I also ended up getting pancreatitis when a stone got stuck in one of the ducts, which is when I got the correct diagnosis. That's very nasty and makes you really ill - I wasn't allowed to eat for a week to let everything settle down - and frankly I didn't want to risk it. Because of the risk of infection by not getting it done, I really recommend you go ahead.

The op wasn't too bad at all - I had keyhole. I felt a bit feeble for a couple of weeks but since then the only real symptoms are when I need to go, I really need to go and I can't eat too much fat in one sitting. It's definitely worth that just to avoid that awful pain.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nix,

thanks. That really does sound familiar (although I cant compare the childbirth bit). I was being treated for a year with suspected ulcer and acute gastritis. Endoscopes kept coming up blank and I had to insist on an ultrasound which turned up a 2cm gallstone in March. The consultant cancelled my meeting with him in April and put it back to July. I then ended up in A&E with severe infection. Didnt eat for 6 days to allow it to settle down and for drugs to work. Now gone BUPA, another dose of AB's and infection has cleared and been switched to very low fat diet. All settled down but Dr is uber keen to get the operation done, but I was concerned by all that I had read. Everyones comments on here have been hugely helpful and feel quite a bit happier getting experiences from those who have had the procedure.

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 10:16 - Jul 29 with 1672 viewsDiscodroids

gawd blimey , just seen this mate.

get well soon

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 10:55 - Jul 29 with 1635 viewskingsburyR

This board never ceases to amaze me. There is never a question that is ignored or remains unanswered. I salute you all!

I know nothing of gall bladders but wish you the very best Dane.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 09:03 - Jul 30 with 1508 viewsdanehoop

Thanks for all of the advice people (and well wishes). Booked the op now and going ahead in a few weeks time. Means I will miss the start of the season (Rotherham had been pencilled in with Danehoop junior) but hopefully will get to a game in September all being well.

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 09:19 - Jul 30 with 1494 viewspomanjou

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 09:03 - Jul 30 by danehoop

Thanks for all of the advice people (and well wishes). Booked the op now and going ahead in a few weeks time. Means I will miss the start of the season (Rotherham had been pencilled in with Danehoop junior) but hopefully will get to a game in September all being well.

FWIW Dane I recommend getting it done sooner rather than later as the attacks don't get any easier; on the contrary.......

As you are with BUPA that should not be difficult.

Good luck

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 11:43 - Jul 30 with 1435 viewsade_qpr

Have an ultrasound done once a year for the last 4 years as I have 2 small stones. So far no problems but may be one day may have to have them out. Would recommend for anyone for peace of mind and been able to keep on top of things, so if things turn bad I and doc know what needs to happen very quickly.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 11:53 - Jul 30 with 1429 viewsTheBlob

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 11:43 - Jul 30 by ade_qpr

Have an ultrasound done once a year for the last 4 years as I have 2 small stones. So far no problems but may be one day may have to have them out. Would recommend for anyone for peace of mind and been able to keep on top of things, so if things turn bad I and doc know what needs to happen very quickly.

Didn't realise they had gall bladders in Australia.Always thought it would be some kind of marsupial type pouch.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 11:59 - Jul 30 with 1418 viewsade_qpr

N/T - Gall Bladder advice on 11:53 - Jul 30 by TheBlob

Didn't realise they had gall bladders in Australia.Always thought it would be some kind of marsupial type pouch.

Careful I'll get my boxing kangaroo on to you.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024