Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading Festival 21:28 - Aug 27 with 7593 viewsMrSheen

Any other GCSE dads with kids behind the wire? My two, plus seemingly all their friends, are camping out tonight. They were at the gates when they opened at 8am this morning, even though the first band takes the stage at 11am tomorrow. Nevertheless, the place was packed with people who'd bought "early bird" tickets to camp out two days early. They've told us that everything is fine, but that's what we know they're going to say up to the point that they ring up crying for us to get them in the middle of the night. Any other reports?
Reading Festival on 11:23 - Aug 28 with 2414 viewsBlackCrowe

Reading Festival on 08:39 - Aug 28 by TheBlob

Did the '71 festival.Al Kooper was a nice bloke.

Ahhh...Rory Gallagher...teenage memories for this ageing rocker. RIP Rory.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Reading Festival on 12:18 - Aug 28 with 2371 viewsMonahoop

Reading Festival on 08:39 - Aug 28 by TheBlob

Did the '71 festival.Al Kooper was a nice bloke.

It's good to see this festival is still going strong. My nephews all went in recent years and I used to attend in the late 70's and early 80's. The bottle battles were legendary and some bands were on the receiving end of them. Someone mentioned punk bands getting a right bottling and the Angels causing mayhem,but I saw none of that. It was usually crap metal bands like Tank, Twisted Sister or the like that were on the receiving end of the crowds drunken ire. I remember the Hansworth based reggae band Steel Pulse getting a right pelting, just because they were different from the usual rock/punk scene there. They gave up after a couple of numbers. Stevie Ray Vaughan came in for some too when he came on, then the crowd wizened up, listened to and witnessed in my view, the best band I ever saw there.
Some great times were had. Swimming and 'washing' in the Thames, getting stoned, spreading rumours about people drowning in the Thames, taking over the pubs in Reading, frolicking with fair and not so fair maidens. Great days.

I see on that poster Accrington Stanley were playing. What were they like?? And Genesis were labled a minor act!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Reading Festival on 12:21 - Aug 28 with 2369 viewsdoogi55

went 75 doobie brothers and some punk band that got the treatment they was so crap. frankie miller band rory gallegher it gets a bit vague after that
Reading Festival on 13:31 - Aug 28 with 2328 viewsTheBlob

Reading Festival on 12:18 - Aug 28 by Monahoop

It's good to see this festival is still going strong. My nephews all went in recent years and I used to attend in the late 70's and early 80's. The bottle battles were legendary and some bands were on the receiving end of them. Someone mentioned punk bands getting a right bottling and the Angels causing mayhem,but I saw none of that. It was usually crap metal bands like Tank, Twisted Sister or the like that were on the receiving end of the crowds drunken ire. I remember the Hansworth based reggae band Steel Pulse getting a right pelting, just because they were different from the usual rock/punk scene there. They gave up after a couple of numbers. Stevie Ray Vaughan came in for some too when he came on, then the crowd wizened up, listened to and witnessed in my view, the best band I ever saw there.
Some great times were had. Swimming and 'washing' in the Thames, getting stoned, spreading rumours about people drowning in the Thames, taking over the pubs in Reading, frolicking with fair and not so fair maidens. Great days.

I see on that poster Accrington Stanley were playing. What were they like?? And Genesis were labled a minor act!!

I only went on the Sunday so missed Accrington Stanley,no idea what they were like.
Genesis were goddam boring - we had them down the Underhill rehearsal studios,we all went down the pub to avoid the tedium.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Reading Festival on 14:28 - Aug 28 with 2301 viewsMonahoop

Reading Festival on 13:31 - Aug 28 by TheBlob

I only went on the Sunday so missed Accrington Stanley,no idea what they were like.
Genesis were goddam boring - we had them down the Underhill rehearsal studios,we all went down the pub to avoid the tedium.

That's understandable Blob. I saw, well I say I saw them at Glastonbury in '79, I was doing other things while they were performing. Can't say with all honesty they were a band I ever wanted to see. Someone gave me one of their albums. Let's say it didn't remain in my collection for too long.

Reading Festival on 14:58 - Aug 28 with 2274 viewsfrancisbowles

Reading Festival on 11:23 - Aug 28 by BlackCrowe

Ahhh...Rory Gallagher...teenage memories for this ageing rocker. RIP Rory.

Glad to see I'm not the only Rory fan on this board. I missed this one as I was only 13 but did get to a Friday evening once and a Saturday in 1976 where it lashed with rain, (long hot summer!) both times RG was top of bill. Great performer and musician.
Reading Festival on 15:07 - Aug 28 with 2262 viewsTheBlob

Reading Festival on 14:58 - Aug 28 by francisbowles

Glad to see I'm not the only Rory fan on this board. I missed this one as I was only 13 but did get to a Friday evening once and a Saturday in 1976 where it lashed with rain, (long hot summer!) both times RG was top of bill. Great performer and musician.

Yeah,Rory was always 100% full on - like his mate Gary Moore.Saw him with Taste and his later bands - Marquee Club etc.PA at Reading was lousy then,hope it's improved.

Reading Festival on 15:58 - Aug 28 with 2219 viewsMonahoop

Yes, what a great musician he was. I saw Rory at The Venue in London in 1980, loads of sweat, so many hairy checked shirt types, great gig. If memory serves me still, I think he busted two strings on his guitar and just carried on. Something like that happened anyway. Top performer. His live performances always outweighed his studio output, but much of that to was pretty good too.
Irish Tour'74 album remains a testament to the man. No Rory fan should be without it. One of the all time great live albums imo.

Login to get fewer ads

Reading Festival on 16:48 - Aug 28 with 2190 viewsWilloW4

Reading Festival on 15:58 - Aug 28 by Monahoop

Yes, what a great musician he was. I saw Rory at The Venue in London in 1980, loads of sweat, so many hairy checked shirt types, great gig. If memory serves me still, I think he busted two strings on his guitar and just carried on. Something like that happened anyway. Top performer. His live performances always outweighed his studio output, but much of that to was pretty good too.
Irish Tour'74 album remains a testament to the man. No Rory fan should be without it. One of the all time great live albums imo.

Absolutely spot on about Irish tour '74 monahoop..one of my favourite live albums..."nice one Rory, nice one son, nice one Rory let's have another one". Great stuff.
Reading Festival on 17:21 - Aug 28 with 2160 viewsfrancisbowles

Reading Festival on 15:58 - Aug 28 by Monahoop

Yes, I was at that gig, don't recall that specific incident but I have a feeling that this was normal for him. I saw him about twenty times over the years and have all his output as Rory, Taste and some boots as well. Recently, got the 7cd and 1dvd version of 'Irish Tour' which is excellent. Now that reminds me I must check to see if the new Taste box set is out yet. I was 18 in 1975 and what a time for Rangers and Rory. Come on u RRs!
Reading Festival on 19:19 - Aug 28 with 2109 viewsted_hendrix

Much as I loved his music It's when he played his old National Resonator that I was in my element, the bloke was a fabulous blues-man just fabulous.
The programme on the beeb a while back about Rory and his sadly short life was excellent.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Reading Festival on 23:50 - Aug 28 with 2058 viewsMrSheen

Jeez, just seen a bit of nu-look Mumford & Sons on BBC3. Like Dire Straits without the raw sexual energy. Already complained about the audience.
Reading Festival on 11:50 - Aug 31 with 1927 viewsMrSheen

Both back home safe, hosed down and in bed. Royal Blood voted best in show.
Reading Festival on 14:45 - Aug 31 with 1855 viewsW13R

Reading Festival on 11:50 - Aug 31 by MrSheen

Good to hear MrSheen, my boy has just walked in looking like an extra from the Walking Dead!
Reading Festival on 14:50 - Aug 31 with 1842 viewsW13R

Reading Festival on 09:29 - Aug 28 by paulparker

Leave off W13R , who you trying to kid

you would have been at this do and that club back in the day and throwing all sorts down your neck
getting in on a Sunday afternoon in time for sunday lunch after 2 days clubbing was a speciality for a while

Ha Ha................... PP, what do you take me for, I was a good lad back then. You can ask my good mates Barry 'the pill' and Steve 'the e' if you don't believe me!
Reading Festival on 15:00 - Aug 31 with 1753 viewsTheBlob

I just caught a replay of a band announced as "the best band in the world"...
The Libertines.
Pete Doherty strumming a guitar out of tune,and some geezer(out of tune) going..."aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and another geezer(out of tune) going "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

and all of us at home going.Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
are you f*cking surrrrrrrrrrrre....."

In fact we're thinking of starting up a tribute band called The Listerines to get that 'orrible taste out of yer mouth.

Reading Festival on 16:44 - Aug 31 with 1696 viewsSimonJames

Reading Festival on 11:50 - Aug 31 by MrSheen

My 16 year old went on Saturday and also voted Royal Blood best, despite not usually liking that sort of music. He was mortified to discover I already had their first album.

My 17 year old was there from Thursday. The younger one saw him on Saturday and said he looked like a tramp. Not sure what state of putrefaction he was in when he finally got back this afternoon, but I hear that he has gone into hibernation.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Reading Festival on 23:02 - Aug 31 with 1580 viewsmartinm

I seen Charlie Austin and Rob Green both at Reading yesterday haha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024