Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems 13:49 - Aug 31 with 2835 viewsLblock

Right you technological gifted bunch of reprobates - who will advise me on the best purchase?

Been toying with the idea of upgrading my TV's sound for a while and I also quite like the idea of streaming music around the house.

Been looking at the SONO's system and also I do like the look of the (now okay and safe to purchase) Samsung offering of the R7 speaker that looks like a rugby ball. It's all a bit confusing to me as to pro's and con's.

I certainly dont want wires trailing anywhere and this put me off home cinema sound years agao
Watch a lot of sport on the box
Stream a few internet radio stations
Never used Spotify or Deezer etc (maybe I should??)
My phone is an iphone 5 (soon to be 6) and most of my music is in iTunes... or vinyl which is of no use in this scenario!!!

Advice from those more clued up gratefully received this dreary BH Monday

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:08 - Aug 31 with 2805 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

I've got a sonos and I love it. You can get the wireless speakers and/or if you can't bear to part with your much-loved amp and speakers in a particular room ( like me), you can get a "connect" that you um, connect to your amp.
The controller used to be this ugly looking unit but now you can download it to a tablet, smart phone etc. it's like having a jukebox on your lap.
One thing to consider though, you need to have your music library stored on a network-attached device, like a NAS drive or maybe a PC before you start. I think they miss a trick here and should sell their own branded storage device.
Happy to answer any Q's
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:10 - Aug 31 with 2775 viewsLblock

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:08 - Aug 31 by Cliff_Schitzinabag

I've got a sonos and I love it. You can get the wireless speakers and/or if you can't bear to part with your much-loved amp and speakers in a particular room ( like me), you can get a "connect" that you um, connect to your amp.
The controller used to be this ugly looking unit but now you can download it to a tablet, smart phone etc. it's like having a jukebox on your lap.
One thing to consider though, you need to have your music library stored on a network-attached device, like a NAS drive or maybe a PC before you start. I think they miss a trick here and should sell their own branded storage device.
Happy to answer any Q's

So can you play music from an iPhone over the SONOS?

I assume that if you're PC is on and has your iTunes library on it you can also access that via the SONOS??

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:28 - Aug 31 with 2748 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:10 - Aug 31 by Lblock

So can you play music from an iPhone over the SONOS?

I assume that if you're PC is on and has your iTunes library on it you can also access that via the SONOS??

Yes to both questions as long as the place where your sounds are stored are connected to your wifi. Gotta dash out now but feel free to ask anything else and I'll answer when I get back
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 14:29]
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:44 - Aug 31 with 2715 viewsMelakaRanger

I too have Sonos. 4 x Sonis 1. It's easy easy to set up and use. Be it PC Mac iPhone or Android.

I have uploaded all my CDs to iTunes and google play. That coupled with Spotify.

Oh and Radio via Tune In.

Great sound too.
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 2701 viewsPhildo

Invested in the sonos soundbar after seeking advice on here a year or so ago. Best gadget investment ever have bought a couple of ones for round the house since. Usually use spotify Amazon music iTunes Radio etc. can't recommend enough.
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 16:50 - Aug 31 with 2612 viewsMelakaRanger

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 14:08 - Aug 31 by Cliff_Schitzinabag

Happy to answer any Q's

Or just upload all your Cds to your iTunes or your Google (play - music) accounts. Both are free to do.

Then stream any of your music from either of these sites as long as you have an internet connection.

I have done this and archived all my CDs into the loft as I will probably never have call for them again
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 07:27 - Sep 1 with 2403 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I also bought a Sonos after asking for advice on here, LB. Incredibly good. Recommended without hesitation.

Sound quality is superb, you can move it from room to room with ease and you have access to all your own digital music plus Spotify if you become a member, which I would also recommend (cheaper to join than to carry on buying music the old-fashioned way).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 07:33 - Sep 1 with 2395 viewsLblock

Thanks to all.

I think decision made then - SONOS here we come

Login to get fewer ads

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 07:36 - Sep 1 with 2382 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 07:33 - Sep 1 by Lblock

Thanks to all.

I think decision made then - SONOS here we come

Good stuff. One tip: when you see your friends' eyes glaze over and the colour leaving their faces, then you've probably praised your new Sonos enough.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 07:45 - Sep 1 with 2371 viewslondonscottish

As per Brian's comments don't forget to look into Spotify. Pay your £10/month, select the high bitrate mode and you'll never have to find a CD case again. Plus there are loads of playlist on there.

For example I just searched on Frankie Knuckles and found a playlist called "Junior Boys Own Love Frankie" which Steve Hall of JBO own put together on the anniversary of Frankie's passing.

For something a bit more relaxed search for Chilltronica or Blank & Jones - something I've stumbled across recently.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 09:24 - Sep 1 with 2307 viewskingsburyR

Getting access to your music. - Technoidiot asking the question.

I too am really interested in a new sound system for music but also want better sound for my TV. Does SONO's double up to be a sound bar or is that a different conversation altogether.

Also, for the tekkies. I have all my music on itunes on a really old PC (which is dying). Can I:

a) Transfer my itunes to a new laptop
b) my wife has an iphone but I have always had samsungs (have an ipod for music when running hence iTunes). How can I get my music onto an android phone?
c) can I use other music apps with my current iTunes library?

Thanks

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 10:06 - Sep 1 with 2262 viewswestberksr

I've switched to Sonos and it's a very clever system and a piece of piss to use.

the TV soundbar also doubles up as a wireless music player when not on TV duty. mine is linked to the music library on the laptop (ITunes) and also Spotify. in addition the Sonos app holds all of your preferred radio stations to on a tablet or your mobile.

I can be playing stuff in the living room whilst the Mrs listens to her stuff upstairs. the tenner a month (sorry Blob, meant to send it to you) for Spotify is money well spent, just listening to odds and sods that a) i have on vinyl and haven't played for years or b) new releases that i can't be arsed buying and can 'soundcheck' and then decide if i need them as a permanent fixture in my life.

if you go the Sonos route for the sounbar a music system you shouldn't be disappointed. there are probably better soundbars but for me to link it to the other kit makes it worthwhile.
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 10:18 - Sep 1 with 2255 viewskingsburyR

Anyone of you available for a few PM's to help a non-tekkie out???

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 11:12 - Sep 1 with 2224 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 10:18 - Sep 1 by kingsburyR

Anyone of you available for a few PM's to help a non-tekkie out???

Sorry, can't help with any of the iTunes questions as I've always avoided going down that route.

But yes, you can use the Sonos soundbar to make your TV sound far better.

Most decent sounbars now combine their "traditional" use (which was replacing the crappy sound produced by the tiny speakers in flat screens) with various music streaming functions (be it from iTunes, a media server, Spotify, Tune In radio or whatever).

If no one here can easily answer your questions log onto avforums.com - tons of info over there

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 11:21 - Sep 1 with 2206 viewskingsburyR

So is Spotify a generic version of iTunes?

Ill google that!

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 11:29 - Sep 1 with 2183 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 11:21 - Sep 1 by kingsburyR

Ill google that!

Spotify is a music streaming service. You can access it for free but you get ads. Or you can pay your £10/month and just get pure music. You never "own" the content, neither do you have to store it locally - you just need a decent broadband connection to access it. Having said that you can download a certain amount and take it with you if you are travelling for example.

I love it. Me and the Mrs just roam around in there finding all sorts depending on our mood. And as Brain says you can use it to check out loads of new stuff without having to shell out for a CD.

I used to spend loads on CD's, the Mrs used to buy a lot on iTunes. Now we're 90% Spotify.

There are other options - Amazon now have a version and I'm sure there are loads of others but Spotify is the best established.

And the library is VAST.

Go and have a look. Just search anything that comes to mind and you'll see what's in there.

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 12:01 - Sep 1 with 2150 viewswestberksr

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 11:21 - Sep 1 by kingsburyR

Ill google that!

sign up for a free trial of Spotify. ther are loads of different services and Apple looked to move into it too when they bought Beats from Dr Dre as they also had a stremaing service.

for me spotify has the nicest interface and is easy to use. there are also some good compilations that other users have put on there and they have loads for different genres of music.

the sonos just looks for and finds your online music and services so will find your Itunes and anything else you use. then also the online radio stuff of Tunein etc.

happy to receive pm's but i sound a lot more knowledgeable than I actually am. more of techno fukkwit but read quite a bit and having spent a fair few quid on Sonos wanted to know how it works. it's very clever though and does a lot of the hard work for you.
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 12:58 - Sep 1 with 2113 viewskingsburyR

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 12:01 - Sep 1 by westberksr

sign up for a free trial of Spotify. ther are loads of different services and Apple looked to move into it too when they bought Beats from Dr Dre as they also had a stremaing service.

for me spotify has the nicest interface and is easy to use. there are also some good compilations that other users have put on there and they have loads for different genres of music.

the sonos just looks for and finds your online music and services so will find your Itunes and anything else you use. then also the online radio stuff of Tunein etc.

happy to receive pm's but i sound a lot more knowledgeable than I actually am. more of techno fukkwit but read quite a bit and having spent a fair few quid on Sonos wanted to know how it works. it's very clever though and does a lot of the hard work for you.

Nice one WB!

Ill drop you a line later this afternoon!

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 13:07 - Sep 1 with 2105 viewsDrewster

As an option, I'm looking seriously at the Cambridge Audio TV5, as it's highly rated by the bods at What HiFi magazine. £300 and you can hook your telly up to it as well as stream music from your phone/ tablet.
Mate has got one and he is a big music fan, all his cd's are in the loft now as the sound quality is so good.
Worth a look as an alternative to the Sonos.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 13:11]
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 15:08 - Sep 1 with 2018 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 13:07 - Sep 1 by Drewster

As an option, I'm looking seriously at the Cambridge Audio TV5, as it's highly rated by the bods at What HiFi magazine. £300 and you can hook your telly up to it as well as stream music from your phone/ tablet.
Mate has got one and he is a big music fan, all his cd's are in the loft now as the sound quality is so good.
Worth a look as an alternative to the Sonos.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 13:11]

Good shout - soundbases are also well worth a look.

I got as far as very buying one from Richer Sounds before the Mrs veto'd it on the basis that a soundbar with a wireless sub (that can be tucked away) is more subtle.

Pound for pound soundbases seem to make more sense to me - at the end of the day it's all about what you can package up and you can't beat twin downward-firing sub's. Like on one of these....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars-sound-base/canton/dm-50/cant-dm50-

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 10:55 - Nov 30 with 1668 viewsToast_R

Has anyone got a SONOS PLAY 3?

I'm thinking of getting one for my man cave/conservatory. I see it's one speaker but apparently decent enough for a room my size. My question is however, as it's one speaker does it still replicate stereo sound and a decent bass level?

At the moment I'm using a Tannoy 7.1 surround system with a YAMAHA amp, which sounds sharp and very bassy. Never cranked it up to 11 for fear of upsetting the neighbours but it would shake the foundations. The amp has a blue tooth connectivity to my Macbook/phone to stream music from which works wonders.

My problem is thus, because the amp is more for Home Cinema then music per say, if your watching TV via it (all HDMI ouput is from from the amp) but want to listen to music whilst say watching Soccer Saturday results etc, you cannot switch between music and TV, it only operates one mode at a time. Bit annoying. I'm thinking the SONOS system running separately will be a fix.
Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 09:16 - Dec 2 with 1545 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

Non-QPR - Soundbars / Wireless Home Music Systems on 10:55 - Nov 30 by Toast_R

Has anyone got a SONOS PLAY 3?

I'm thinking of getting one for my man cave/conservatory. I see it's one speaker but apparently decent enough for a room my size. My question is however, as it's one speaker does it still replicate stereo sound and a decent bass level?

At the moment I'm using a Tannoy 7.1 surround system with a YAMAHA amp, which sounds sharp and very bassy. Never cranked it up to 11 for fear of upsetting the neighbours but it would shake the foundations. The amp has a blue tooth connectivity to my Macbook/phone to stream music from which works wonders.

My problem is thus, because the amp is more for Home Cinema then music per say, if your watching TV via it (all HDMI ouput is from from the amp) but want to listen to music whilst say watching Soccer Saturday results etc, you cannot switch between music and TV, it only operates one mode at a time. Bit annoying. I'm thinking the SONOS system running separately will be a fix.

Hello Mate. Yeah, I've got one.

Obv it's best to see how loud it is in a shop but the Play3 should be plenty in a small/ med size room. One box yes, but two speakers within. If you've ever used one of those Bose iPod speakers, then it's that sort of standard.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2015 9:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024