Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations 03:52 - Sep 3 with 3287 viewsFredManRave

I'll start by claryfying that I want us to be playing in the Premier League, I think we've got a great chance of promotion and before yesterday I was going to back Ramsey as long as we never looked like getting relegated so I'll obviously continue to back him. So, I'm totally agreed with the euphoria of seeing our Prem quality players still playing for us and what that should mean, footballwise, for us at least this season.

However, I find the silence deafening from those that were pleading with the club to cut its cloth and accept, at the very least, one season in the best and most competitive league in the world and mortified at the thought of promotion back to the Premier League, hoping for sustainability with accompanying level headed/sensible plans for our short to mid term future, recognising that, more than anything, that's what we needed.

As a result of the window now being slammed shut the expectations on Chris Ramsey are absolutely huge. You only have to read almost every post on here to realise that. Despite some huge reductions it's fair to assume that we have the highest wage bill in the league. Despite all the stabilising talk from the owners I think their expectations are clear as day now.

Again, despite how this might read, personally I want us to get promoted, I'm pleased Austin, Green and Phillips are still with us but the change in attitude, outlook and expectations for this season has been turned on its head in the space of morning to night and it's going to be extremely hard to manage.

Bearing in mind the lack of caution and/or any fears being mentioned on here with our new dawn does it mean that the previous mention of hopes of stability, time in the championship, and financial prudence were not quite as heartfelt as they sounded. I think the positivity is great and the Premier League is where I want us to be but I think Ramseys job has just become a whole lot harder and the ride for most of us will get alot bumpier as a result of our "new" squad.

Just my pesos worth. Be interested to read how those who want stability and realistic expectations with the fans acting accordingly now feel about our head on charge to the Premier League with "The best squad (on paper) in the league" and "Anything outside top 6 being complete and utter failure".
[Post edited 3 Sep 2015 3:58]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 06:49 - Sep 3 with 2038 viewsdavman

We've still got January to negotiate yet...

My expectations remain the same - consolidation has to be the aim. If we over-achieve and go up, great, but the board should not spend another penny if that happens, pocket the cash and give the team that went up a chance.

If that means relegation, so be it, we go down, keep the squad and have another go.

For me the test is where we are in January. If we are showing potential to go up, will this lot revert to type and spend, spend, spend? Personally, I hope not. Having a club in 5 years time is far more into me than playing in that horrible"Big League" for one more season...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 06:59 - Sep 3 with 2023 viewsstevec

Yes, from some on here, the demand for mediocrity was somewhat baffling.

There just isn't this Utopia in football, whereby you bring in youth players over a designated time from some pool of as yet unspecified talent. That the big clubs then stand by on the basis that QPR are doing the right thing and therefore we must allow that to continue without plundering any individual talent they do eventually unearth. Sadly it's not 1972, things don't work like that any more.

As fun as it is in the Championship, every single clubs aim is to reach the promised land. If you don't then what is the point. Better to try and fail than not to try at all. In the end, it wasn't spending money that messed things up it was simply spending the money badly.

The plan should always be get promoted and then this time, spend the money wisely.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 07:34 - Sep 3 with 1939 viewsDorse

I demand mediocrity, turgidity and a sense of hopelessness. It's the QPR way. Give us our QPR back! Ramsey out!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:01 - Sep 3 with 1880 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 06:49 - Sep 3 by davman

We've still got January to negotiate yet...

My expectations remain the same - consolidation has to be the aim. If we over-achieve and go up, great, but the board should not spend another penny if that happens, pocket the cash and give the team that went up a chance.

If that means relegation, so be it, we go down, keep the squad and have another go.

For me the test is where we are in January. If we are showing potential to go up, will this lot revert to type and spend, spend, spend? Personally, I hope not. Having a club in 5 years time is far more into me than playing in that horrible"Big League" for one more season...

I agree with the slight exception that I will NOT be happy if we go down. All I really want is NOT to go down. I dont want us to go up - thats right, I said it. We've done so twice in recent years now and been dreadful, lost our identity and become vilified by the footballing world. We need to take stock and fans Im sorry but where have you been over the last 15 or so years if you think we deserve to go up and should now walk the league or find that promotion is a breeze!! Lots of people now expecting greatness...if we do THAT well then great, if we do go up then we had better have learned the lessons of seasons past otherwise we will come right back down and in a bigger mess than we did this time around.

My expectations remain low, I can (hopefully) only be pleasantly surprised.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:16 - Sep 3 with 1835 viewssimmo

I fail to see one redeeming feature that the Premier league can offer us. Even the money is tainted - it ends up making us worse.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:17 - Sep 3 with 1835 viewsDannyPaddox

Damn! You mean were gonna start winning. Ive just mentally consolidated all the fixtutes into one long 'bonus' season.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:20 - Sep 3 with 1821 viewsN12Hoop

The 90th minute playoff winner was the greatest moment in my 35 years of following the R's. I would love to experience that again. I would also love to see us win the league. There haven't been many opportunities to celebrate over the years and that's what it's all about isn't it.
But other than those last 5 home games in our 1 Premiership survival year, I have hated the whole experience. Celebrating a draw with Spurs or Man City; I mean what's the point of that? Now I look at all the money being spent by Prem teams in the hope that they can finish 17th and collect the pot of gold. And then what? Aim to come 16th? The PL is sh1t for all but the top 4 teams in my opinion.
I now find that as much as I want us to get promoted, I would rather stay in the Championship and know that every game is winnable. But then if were to become a mid-table Championship team, how boring would that be?
So like the OP I do now have greater expectations and for the first time since the Warnock days I am excited about going to see us play. But in my mind I'm very conflicted about where I want us to be come May.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:47 - Sep 3 with 1758 viewsstevec

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:16 - Sep 3 by simmo

I fail to see one redeeming feature that the Premier league can offer us. Even the money is tainted - it ends up making us worse.

Well, if we stay outside the Premier league, when the parachute payments have dried up, the owner throws the towel in and we're back losing to the likes of Grimsby, Bradford and Northampton again on a weekly basis you must let us know if you still feel the same way.

I get where you're coming from, I thoroughly enjoyed League One for the 3 years we were down there, I enjoyed the renaissance under Holloway. What I didn't enjoy was the downward spiral that followed relegation from the Premier league in 96, the Port Vale's at home in front of 7,000 people, losing at home to Norwich at Christmas, not in front of a bumper crowd, but in front of a totally demoralised support where you could sit practically any where you liked, preferably out of your kids inhalation range of those passing round funny fags to numb them from the fckin abortion that was being played out in front of us.

Be careful what you wish for.
Login to get fewer ads

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:54 - Sep 3 with 1737 viewsPinnerPaul

As I said yesterday, very little fun and excitement aiming for 11th
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:56 - Sep 3 with 1732 viewsenfieldargh

Like most qpr fans I want qpr to win every game they play and I'm right pissed off if we loose, even if it's a game which on paper we were the outsiders.

Having said that to see a swashbuckling marauding powerful style of play with pacey attacking football like the mid 70's team once more, mixed with the well drilled venables defence unit catching the opposition off side time after time with ball playing centre backs and whizzy fullbacks making flanking runs......

I don't see any reason that we could see this from this set of players. One shut out this season I know but it's a start. We are already seeing a better style of attacking play and an understanding of what CR wants the team to play.

He has signed chery, luongo, mackie all pacey players with an eye for goal and a football brain. Talking of brains to have ale back and tozser we actually have players who can see a pass, often the quick simple one unlike a Barton who always wanted the Hail Mary pass option.

Other teams have strengthened as well and dare I say Fulham are ones to watch but we have a great chance of being in the mix.

We got relegated with CR in charge but the damage was done by October. I thought the play improved for a while before the inevitability of defeat week in week out got into the jaded minds of players many passed their sell by dates or who had little care in their ability or for the club. Some came out having shown commitment to the bitter end.

We have the jan window again which may or may not see charlie go, depends who it it's who comes in for him but I expect the club to spend again prudently on shoring up areas of the team where needed.

I'm excited by this season and want to get to as many away games as I can because the buzz is well and truly back.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:00 - Sep 3 with 1722 viewsGloryHunter

I've been telling everyone I prefer the Championship because at least the games are all at 3pm on Saturdays. Now I see the Forest match has been switched to 1230, which annoys me intensely. And if we are near the top of the table all season I expect lots more games will be switched to stupid times for TV. So no difference there. Still, at least we won't be getting thumped 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 on a regular basis.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:11 - Sep 3 with 1696 viewsMaggsinho

I think the mess we have made of our seasons in the Premiership has tainted people's opinion of it.

If we had made a success of it like Swansea, Southampton and Palace I doubt we'd be talking about how much we miss the Championship.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:16 - Sep 3 with 1686 viewsWeaverQPR

The key is to get up and then not bankrupt the club through signing players who should be out of reach. With LF this could be achieved.

@WeavQPR

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:32 - Sep 3 with 1644 viewsEastR

We can all agree that we’ve spent the summer trying to off load players on ridiculous contracts (some of which were coming to an end anyway)
Publically we’ve put Fer, Traore, Holiett in the shop window, and at one point Green looked like he was potentially leaving too.
We’ve replaced those who have left with players from lower leagues and other Championship clubs, all of whom we can assume are being paid a fraction of those outgoing.

All of that has happened against a background of the huge losses we’ve made over the past 4 years, and had reached the point where it was no longer sustainable internally (the pockets are only so deep), and externally (FFP, legal or not, looming).

What really happened in the last few days?
Two players — Austin and Phillips — who the whole world thought would leave to PL clubs, stayed. One reason they are still here is that we held firm on what we thought they were worth, and refused to be the soft touch financially we’ve had the reputation for in the past.

Keeping those two has undoubtedly boosted the team by Championship standards and not unreasonably expectations have risen as a result. But it’s a temporary state of affairs in terms of sustainability for the club. The foundations for success beyond the short term remain very rocky, but the happy outcome of the transfer window aside, we appear to be moving in the right direction, in the right way.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:33 - Sep 3 with 1639 viewspaulparker

Lets get there first ,

if we do i hope we keep the same team as that got us up, if its this team bar the fullbacks and Henry we would have a good squad to build on
add about 3 players with sell on value, so if we do go down clubs will want to buy our players rather than go for loans
as DOF i trust les to do the homework on the players ,so we dont have the scenerios we have had with Sandro(injured) Caulker(off the field) Fer(who knows)
and if we stay up then great but if we go down at least we will be in a better place than the last 2 relegations

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:38 - Sep 3 with 1623 viewssimmo

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 08:47 - Sep 3 by stevec

Well, if we stay outside the Premier league, when the parachute payments have dried up, the owner throws the towel in and we're back losing to the likes of Grimsby, Bradford and Northampton again on a weekly basis you must let us know if you still feel the same way.

I get where you're coming from, I thoroughly enjoyed League One for the 3 years we were down there, I enjoyed the renaissance under Holloway. What I didn't enjoy was the downward spiral that followed relegation from the Premier league in 96, the Port Vale's at home in front of 7,000 people, losing at home to Norwich at Christmas, not in front of a bumper crowd, but in front of a totally demoralised support where you could sit practically any where you liked, preferably out of your kids inhalation range of those passing round funny fags to numb them from the fckin abortion that was being played out in front of us.

Be careful what you wish for.

Said it before, I would rather be a club that plays in front of 12,000 core support in league 1, playing attacking football with a team of players I like and can feel an affinity for, than be a West Brom or Stoke — permanently mid table without a chance of winning anything, patronising pats on the head from Ed Chamberlain when we manage to give Chelsea and Man City a game. The whole Premier League machine, coupled with Sky, is nauseating.

The recent premier league years have been the worst of my QPR supporting life, completely lost our identity, our soul, we abandoned the reasons I fell in love with QPR in the first place, there was nothing to be proud of anymore. I would rather be proud of the club I support and lose to Grimsby, Bradford and Northampton TBH.

It’s also changed our support, there’s a sense of entitlement now, like the younger generation of fans are spoilt and think we ‘deserve’ to achieve things because of the players we have and the money we’ve spent. I much preferred to be the spiky little club from Shepherds Bush, capable of an upset and dining out on maverick midfielders and cult centre backs. I know not everybody wants the same QPR as I do, and that’s perfectly understandable. I just don't see the point of being in a league you’ll never win — also, even the most passionate premier league fan has to admit that the Championship is MILES more fun!

Also, just for the record, I am loving this team as it is and although I don’t think we will beat that day at Wembley ever again in my life, I would rather achieve things with this team than the last one we took there!

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:48 - Sep 3 with 1603 viewswestberksr

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:11 - Sep 3 by Maggsinho

I think the mess we have made of our seasons in the Premiership has tainted people's opinion of it.

If we had made a success of it like Swansea, Southampton and Palace I doubt we'd be talking about how much we miss the Championship.

pretty much this. The consolidate logic was based on a massive clear out and trying to stablise the finances; the transfer window has given us an opportunity to look at things differently.

we want success for our club but i'd rather have had an experience like those mentioned above, or at worst like Burnley. At least they gave the players that got them up a chance and could at least sit back and not hate pretty much every player that had been shipped in to play in the 'promised land'. Not sure how they have got to where they are now though.

if we do well this season (and with the look of the squad, we should) and by some daft outcome get promoted; we should all have a big party, give the players that got us there a chance (could have done that twice before but what the fukk), pay off loads of debts and stick a finger up to Murdoch....

....and not sack the manager in October and give the gig to some prick that 'interviews' the club and demands a kings ransom in transfer funds.

still fundamentally opposed to the prem though; full of khunts
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:51 - Sep 3 with 1590 viewsNorthernr

I presume all the downplaying and consolidation talk over the summer was with the expectation that green, phillips, austin and fer would all be going. Having kept them all that's probably now changed. They've certainly shifted a chunk of the wage bill, but not as much as they'd planned to. I just hope we haven't put ourselves in a financial position where we now have to get promoted whether we're good enough and ready or not.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:58 - Sep 3 with 1570 viewsbosh67

Obviously with Charlie, Rob, Ned and Matty all retained the expectations would be to make the play offs. January is key. If we loose players then it could change the season and we would be looking to have a comfortable top half finish.

I think we have a better squad than the one that went up last time with Chery and Luongo looking absolute class at this level. And there is still Mackie, Fer and Gladwin to come back. Even JET and Polter are good options to have in games.

If we are in play off places come January I think everyone will stay in that window. It will then depend if we bounce back up or not. If not I think there would be enough by then in place to continue a rebuilding program around younger players.

I understand the Southampton and Swansea arguments. If we do what they do we would enjoy the Prem more. But, it is getting tougher for both sides to keep up in the top flight. It is mainly down to their managers that they are keeping up with the pace. I like this level. It is very entertaining. In the end it is about being entertained. If we go up we have to entertain and that is a lot more difficult against teams that are spending the value of your entire club and then some on one player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:00 - Sep 3 with 1568 viewsLewes_r

All hinges on our league position come Jan

Top 6 with chance of top 2 and we remain ambitious and go for it (esp if players are settled)

Top 10 and not looking like a promotion side then players may need to be shifted asap.. Ramsey must succeed QUICKLY

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:10 - Sep 3 with 1545 viewsstevec

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 09:38 - Sep 3 by simmo

Said it before, I would rather be a club that plays in front of 12,000 core support in league 1, playing attacking football with a team of players I like and can feel an affinity for, than be a West Brom or Stoke — permanently mid table without a chance of winning anything, patronising pats on the head from Ed Chamberlain when we manage to give Chelsea and Man City a game. The whole Premier League machine, coupled with Sky, is nauseating.

The recent premier league years have been the worst of my QPR supporting life, completely lost our identity, our soul, we abandoned the reasons I fell in love with QPR in the first place, there was nothing to be proud of anymore. I would rather be proud of the club I support and lose to Grimsby, Bradford and Northampton TBH.

It’s also changed our support, there’s a sense of entitlement now, like the younger generation of fans are spoilt and think we ‘deserve’ to achieve things because of the players we have and the money we’ve spent. I much preferred to be the spiky little club from Shepherds Bush, capable of an upset and dining out on maverick midfielders and cult centre backs. I know not everybody wants the same QPR as I do, and that’s perfectly understandable. I just don't see the point of being in a league you’ll never win — also, even the most passionate premier league fan has to admit that the Championship is MILES more fun!

Also, just for the record, I am loving this team as it is and although I don’t think we will beat that day at Wembley ever again in my life, I would rather achieve things with this team than the last one we took there!

Fully understand and in many ways I agree. The thing is, those 15 consecutive years out of the top League weren't all fun. We all remember the good things, the bad you tend to put to the back of your mind but there were some really dark days in those times.

The way we went about the Premier wasn't fun, knowing your position in that league seems almost predetermined within 4 or 5 places isn't fun either. But ultimately, the fun is in believing that the glass ceiling can be broken. It may not be reality but without the dream, what is the point?
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:24 - Sep 3 with 1499 viewsHitch

Good news is so fcken difficult to take.
Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:38 - Sep 3 with 1475 viewssimmo

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:10 - Sep 3 by stevec

Fully understand and in many ways I agree. The thing is, those 15 consecutive years out of the top League weren't all fun. We all remember the good things, the bad you tend to put to the back of your mind but there were some really dark days in those times.

The way we went about the Premier wasn't fun, knowing your position in that league seems almost predetermined within 4 or 5 places isn't fun either. But ultimately, the fun is in believing that the glass ceiling can be broken. It may not be reality but without the dream, what is the point?

If the 'dream' is finishing 9th or 10th, I'd rather stay awake.

Seriously, the ceiling can't be breached now, it's impossible. Unless the structure falls apart and starts again we will have the same teams in the same positions every single year - best case scenario seems to be exiting cups early to concentrate on the league and breaking into top 10. If you do that, like Saints did, you will get all your best players taken and have to rebuild your team accordingly.

Whereas in the Championship you have teams like Burnley getting automatic promotion, or Bournemouth, or Ipswich being rewarded with a play-off chance purely for being well run and with good acadmemy supplements.

Agree not every year in the lower leagues is great or as lovely as we remember, but at least it didn't also come at the cost of losing our identity.

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:38 - Sep 3 with 1471 viewslondonscottish

The trouble is that the income to expenditure ratio in the Championship is even worse than that in the prem. So the owners will feel they HAVE to get back up, I suspect.

And to Clive's point they might now feel that they have to try to do that this year rather than in, say, a couple of years even though the former is much more risky.

As a fan, however, I'd happily stay in the Championship indefinitely. 3.00 pm's, winnable fixtures, sensible ticket prices, more games, no Sky bollx and so on.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Stabilise Schmabilise, We've Got Greater Expectations on 10:53 - Sep 3 with 1439 viewsTonto

As one of those that was pleading with the club to cut its cloth and accept a season (or two) in the Championship and was mortified at the thought of promotion back to the Premier League, I suppose i should respond.

I will admit that my expectations have changed considerably as a result of the transfer window. Mainly because, like most people, I was expecting at least two, if not more of Phillips, Green, Sandro, Fer and Austin to move on.

The issue has always been that we were never building a team, always buying for the here and now in panic mode, and that needed to change. And, in terms of the players brought in, it most certainly has.

Does it worry me that we still have a wage bill the size of the national debt? Yes.
Did I enjoy the Premiership? No
Am I bothered if we go back up? not if its at the expense of enjoying football

So whilst I generally agree with what you are saying, I don't necessarily agree with describing the Championship as mediocrity...; I want to be entertained on a Saturday, not bored to death on less than Super Sunday. I guess Im saying that i dont see promotion as the be all or end all. Relegation is a disaster, staying the Championship is not.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024