Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does Fer fit in? 12:24 - Sep 4 with 6148 viewsDando

With Luongo impressing so far, especially further forward in the side - how does Fer slot in when hes back? Of course he needs to fight his way into the side, but i think its clear that if hes played in an advanced role, in a central position - he is class. Surely he cant be benched, but then again how can you drop Luongo either?

Never seen this Angella guy play before, but sounds like a certain starter a well. Hall however has really boosted our defence and would be difficult to drop him either.

Some big decisions for Ramsay to make!
Where does Fer fit in? on 12:28 - Sep 4 with 3831 viewsTonto

those in possession should continue if they keep playing well. Selection should be based on a meritocracy...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Where does Fer fit in? on 12:31 - Sep 4 with 3811 viewswhittocksRs

It's a long, long season and everyone will get plenty of playing time, especially in the midfield and up front.
Where does Fer fit in? on 12:47 - Sep 4 with 3722 viewsRBlock

If we really are going for the jugular at times my suggestion would be to drop Luongo back next to Faurlin and play Fer in the whole. I think the more fluid and mobile style we now employ may suit him and we he could improve us.

That said we have been playing well and I would be reluctant to alter things now. A midfield of Faurlin and Luongo would leave the defence extremely exposed.
Where does Fer fit in? on 12:49 - Sep 4 with 3702 viewsMedwayR

Apparently Fer had a big reputation as a defensive CM in Holland and picked up the nickname 'The Bouncer' whilst at Feyenoord and FC Twente.

Would be interesting to see him alongside Faurlin in a defensive role.

Poll: Who’s better?

Where does Fer fit in? on 12:51 - Sep 4 with 3690 viewssimmo

Where does Fer fit in? on 12:47 - Sep 4 by RBlock

If we really are going for the jugular at times my suggestion would be to drop Luongo back next to Faurlin and play Fer in the whole. I think the more fluid and mobile style we now employ may suit him and we he could improve us.

That said we have been playing well and I would be reluctant to alter things now. A midfield of Faurlin and Luongo would leave the defence extremely exposed.

Exactly this. Maybe with Tozser over Faurlin though, as much as I love Ale he hasn't got the legs to do his job and cover the person next to him when they commit to attacks.

Like I have said already, it's a 'nice problem' for Ramsey and there will be hard decisions when everyone is fit. Especially with Sandro in the mix...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Where does Fer fit in? on 12:56 - Sep 4 with 3645 viewsDando

Glad that we now have "good" headaches ahead. Before it felt like we had a very flat midfield, with no options or threat. Now it feels like we have plenty of options all over the park! I wouldnt drop anyone at the moment for Fer to play in the advanced role, but I cant help feeling that we would be even better than we already are if he was starting there. Hes a goal threat, composed on the ball and with classy players around him now, I think he will be excellent for us. Last year he was constantly played out of position and we didnt see anything near his best until he was finaly accomodated to the middle but then got injured.
Where does Fer fit in? on 13:01 - Sep 4 with 3614 viewsJonDoeman

Hope Fer is up for it, & doesn't just bide his time avoiding injury till he can fck off in January.

It Is What It Is !!

Where does Fer fit in? on 13:25 - Sep 4 with 3484 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree, Luongo could drop back or Fer could possibly play that more defensive role too, as long as Toszer/Faurlin/Doughty/Henry covers.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Where does Fer fit in? on 13:31 - Sep 4 with 3461 viewsqueensparker

I reckon he could be a good option up front if we need it - great shot, strong, good in the air, can spot a through ball to the likes of Chery.

Less keen on him as an enforcer in centre mid based on his history of switching off and watching people ghost past him / jogging back at a snail's pace when we're defending.
Where does Fer fit in? on 13:32 - Sep 4 with 3452 viewsRBlock

To be honest I can't see Fer working well in the defensive midfield role. He got untold stick last season for appearing lethargic and failing to track back. Playing him in a purely defensive role might well expose this even further, and when we have seen Luongo is happy to play the box to box role, has the legs to do it and gets his tackles in I believe he would be more suited to dropping deeper as opposed to crowbarring Fer in there.

In regards to the midfield partner Simmo I think you are right about Faurlin not having the legs in there, however from what I have heard about Toszer he is somewhat similar in that he lacks pace and stamina. I think to get the best of both worlds, i.e. legs and a decent passing range coupled with a solid defensive contribution Doughty may be the answer. He has more energy and pace than Faurlin and a better passing range than Henry or Sandro.
Where does Fer fit in? on 13:41 - Sep 4 with 3407 viewsHunterhoop

Fer can't play that "defensive" role as one of the 2 holding. His off the ball positioning is poor and he completely switches off when he should be tracking runners (see countless goals as evidence last yr).

However, in the no. 10 role, he's class.

Luongo could drop back in the 2 holding midfield spots. At home, I'd be balls out aggressive and play 2 from him, Faurlin and Toszer there and see if we look wide open to a silly extent. If so, you know we need a Sandro/Henry/Doughty type in there. If we dominate and tear teams apart, leave as is. Away from home, I think you have to play a Sandro/Henry/Doughty type.

Simmo, Toszer, by all accounts is worse defensively than Ale in terms of legs, pace and strength....so doubt it'll work playing him! They're both "quarterbacks" who orchestrate the team. Toszer has no pace or strength. At least Ale is strong in the tackle and air.

Of course, we'll pick up injuries and suspensions so most weeks the options will be depleted, but it's cracking strength in depth, especially for this league! Exciting.
Where does Fer fit in? on 13:47 - Sep 4 with 3379 viewsJamie

---Luongo---Toszer

Phillips----Fer----Chery

--------Austin--------

Sandro, Henry, Gladwin, Faurlin also around to provide further legs.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2015 13:48]
Where does Fer fit in? on 13:55 - Sep 4 with 3326 viewssimmo

Accept that Tozser and Faurlin are very similar, but I would be surprised if Tozser's legs are as depleted as Ale's have become, he's lost none of his passing, but his manouverability is almost zero now. Still, let's see how it plays out.

As Hunter says, I would happily play Luongo next to Faurlin/Tozser as the deeper lying 2 and Fer ahead of them, when at home. I also like Fer there because he can support Austin in the air, Phillips putting crosses in for Austin and Fer to head?? There's definitely goals there.

It's a premiership midfield

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Where does Fer fit in? on 14:02 - Sep 4 with 3290 viewsJonDoeman

Where does Fer fit in? on 13:47 - Sep 4 by Jamie

---Luongo---Toszer

Phillips----Fer----Chery

--------Austin--------

Sandro, Henry, Gladwin, Faurlin also around to provide further legs.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2015 13:48]

Be surprised if one or the other of Sandro & Henry doesn't start, that 4 2 3 1 system needs a proper holding midfielder , no?

It Is What It Is !!

Where does Fer fit in? on 14:14 - Sep 4 with 3237 viewsJamie

Where does Fer fit in? on 14:02 - Sep 4 by JonDoeman

Be surprised if one or the other of Sandro & Henry doesn't start, that 4 2 3 1 system needs a proper holding midfielder , no?

I would imagine Sandro has to play if fit to justify those wages. Toszer was brought in to play the holding told though so would expect he is cover for Sandro's inevitable injuries and Faurlin to be used incredibly scarcely
Where does Fer fit in? on 14:23 - Sep 4 with 3191 viewsWatford_Ranger

Five minutes of Championship football and I expect he'll be crying off for a few months anyway.

Luongo deserves to keep his place in his strongest position IMO. The team becomes unbalanced without Henry/Sandro/Doughty though maybe Toszer can do that sort of job. Don't know enough about him to say.
Where does Fer fit in? on 14:36 - Sep 4 with 3138 viewsHunterhoop

Where does Fer fit in? on 14:14 - Sep 4 by Jamie

I would imagine Sandro has to play if fit to justify those wages. Toszer was brought in to play the holding told though so would expect he is cover for Sandro's inevitable injuries and Faurlin to be used incredibly scarcely

Don't write off Faurlin.

He is still, and in my view will remain, our best "passing and moving" centre midfielder in the club. He makes us tick better than anyone. He simply won't be able to play Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues. But, when fit, for the big games, he'll start. I think Ramsey, based on recent selections, is of the same view.
Where does Fer fit in? on 14:41 - Sep 4 with 3109 viewsHunterhoop

Where does Fer fit in? on 13:55 - Sep 4 by simmo

Accept that Tozser and Faurlin are very similar, but I would be surprised if Tozser's legs are as depleted as Ale's have become, he's lost none of his passing, but his manouverability is almost zero now. Still, let's see how it plays out.

As Hunter says, I would happily play Luongo next to Faurlin/Tozser as the deeper lying 2 and Fer ahead of them, when at home. I also like Fer there because he can support Austin in the air, Phillips putting crosses in for Austin and Fer to head?? There's definitely goals there.

It's a premiership midfield

It absolutely is.

There are many permutations and all looks pretty strong and all look miles better than any combination we've had in our recent failed forays into the Prem.

I like Fer in that no. 10 role too for the exact reason you give as well as his fantastic long range shooting. With him, Chery and Phillips, we should score one hell of a lot of 20+ yard goals! On top of that Chery and Fer play together in the Dutch national squad too so I'd hope to see a good understanding.

However, I wouldn't rush to shoehorn him in at 10 until he is fully fit and raring to. Luongo is doing a really good job there and we've got lots of cover for the 2 holding roles anyway.

It's all very exciting!!
Where does Fer fit in? on 15:55 - Sep 4 with 2999 viewsJamie

Where does Fer fit in? on 14:36 - Sep 4 by Hunterhoop

Don't write off Faurlin.

He is still, and in my view will remain, our best "passing and moving" centre midfielder in the club. He makes us tick better than anyone. He simply won't be able to play Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues. But, when fit, for the big games, he'll start. I think Ramsey, based on recent selections, is of the same view.

Don't think anyone is writing off Faurlin. Think we can all agree though that the plan was for Toszer the horrible Tuesday night slogs in a downpour, Faurlin to be used when needed and Sandro loaned/sold.

Now that the latter hasn't happened, we have a very good, albeit very injury probe midfielder on big wages and he's likely going to have to play when fit, which will mean reduced opportunities for Faurlin.
Where does Fer fit in? on 15:58 - Sep 4 with 2987 viewswombat

Where does Fer fit in? on 15:55 - Sep 4 by Jamie

Don't think anyone is writing off Faurlin. Think we can all agree though that the plan was for Toszer the horrible Tuesday night slogs in a downpour, Faurlin to be used when needed and Sandro loaned/sold.

Now that the latter hasn't happened, we have a very good, albeit very injury probe midfielder on big wages and he's likely going to have to play when fit, which will mean reduced opportunities for Faurlin.

tozer alongside faurlin to start , drop henry to the bench Fer to come on if we need a goal or if chery is injured luongo is going a great job as the roving midfield player so why change it

weak link is henry so drop him for tozer and keep the rest as it is until the usual 17 ACL injuries which usually arrive around sept oct time

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Where does Fer fit in? on 16:07 - Sep 4 with 2961 viewsHunterhoop

Where does Fer fit in? on 15:55 - Sep 4 by Jamie

I just don't understand why you keep saying "scarce" or "reduced" opportunities for him. That is absolutely writing him off. Wages have nothing to do with who should start.

In one of those two holding role, Faurlin is still the best pass and move player at the club. I think you'll find, if fit, he'll start more often than not. But, because of his injury record and age, will be rested every so often. I imagine the situation might reduce the amount if times Toszer plays, but in reality, I would think injuries, suspensions and resting of players will mean they'll all play a fair bit.

I just don't think they'll be limited opportunities for Faurlin, as you allude to, because he makes us tick when we've got the ball. He's also the "right sort" and is the longest serving player at the club, and a leader in the dressing room judging by his behaviour on the pitch against Wolves.
Where does Fer fit in? on 16:07 - Sep 4 with 2959 viewsMedwayR

I wouldn't write Fer off in the defensive midfield position until I'd seen him play a few games, he can't have been bad at it to pick up a nickname like that and play in the defensive midfield position for so long in Holland whilst gaining admirers from some top clubs.

He doesn't have the engine for box-to-box midfield as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't chase back but in a N0.10 role or a defensive role this won't get exposed.

I like Luongo further forward so I'd be happy for us to try Fer in defensive CM before moving Luongo back.

Where does Fer fit in? on 16:14 - Sep 4 with 2942 viewsHunterhoop

Where does Fer fit in? on 16:07 - Sep 4 by MedwayR

I wouldn't write Fer off in the defensive midfield position until I'd seen him play a few games, he can't have been bad at it to pick up a nickname like that and play in the defensive midfield position for so long in Holland whilst gaining admirers from some top clubs.

He doesn't have the engine for box-to-box midfield as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't chase back but in a N0.10 role or a defensive role this won't get exposed.

I like Luongo further forward so I'd be happy for us to try Fer in defensive CM before moving Luongo back.

He played enough in a two man midfield last year (when we played 4-4-2 a lot) and was a liability when we didn't have the ball. When out wide left he was still a liability without the ball but less so. In the number 10 role he's ace.

Naaawich fans also all said the same shout his tracking back. And the Dutch national team isn't very good.

So, yes, I will write him off as a holding CM, thanks. Could obviously be proved wrong, but I doubt it.
Where does Fer fit in? on 16:25 - Sep 4 with 2910 viewsMedwayR

Where does Fer fit in? on 16:14 - Sep 4 by Hunterhoop

He played enough in a two man midfield last year (when we played 4-4-2 a lot) and was a liability when we didn't have the ball. When out wide left he was still a liability without the ball but less so. In the number 10 role he's ace.

Naaawich fans also all said the same shout his tracking back. And the Dutch national team isn't very good.

So, yes, I will write him off as a holding CM, thanks. Could obviously be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

So you're writing him off as a defensive CM based on his performances out wide and in a box-to-box role. As I said box-to-box doesn't suit him, but as a defensive CM he won't need to chase back as he won't be going forward.

Agree that No.10 is probably his best position but to write him off as a defensive CM without even seeing him play there is a bit daft imo.

Where does Fer fit in? on 16:48 - Sep 4 with 2861 viewsjohnhoop

Where does Fer fit in? on 13:31 - Sep 4 by queensparker

I reckon he could be a good option up front if we need it - great shot, strong, good in the air, can spot a through ball to the likes of Chery.

Less keen on him as an enforcer in centre mid based on his history of switching off and watching people ghost past him / jogging back at a snail's pace when we're defending.

Agree with you on this .Keeping Charlie is great and more than I would have dared to hope for before Tuesday evening. If he is out for any reason however, we are conspicuously short of anyone of sufficient quality to fill the main striker role. if that happens I would really like to see Fer given a go as he holds the ball up well, is a good header of the ball and has a great shot on him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024