Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road 12:56 - Sep 5 with 9182 viewsloftboy

Usually a decent pub for a reasonable price pint, except they seemed to have handed it over to the bloody egg chasing fraternity for the next month, upper class,chinless pricks who seem to think everyone wants to here their tales of rogering cuthbert-smythe at boarding school.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 13:23 - Sep 5 with 5251 viewsthemodfather

rare they have sports on in there due to trouble.....i can't get too excited about ruggers, like many if england don't waltz into the q/fs there's no point in them being there....
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:11 - Sep 5 with 5120 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I quite like the Montague Pyke. Hate rugby though
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 19:15 - Sep 5 with 4942 viewsessextaxiboy

I have tried to "get it " but I just cant . If you are big and fit couldnt you just learn how to be good at it ?

There is no flair or magic in most positions at least, its just positioning and strength isnt it ?

Cant stand them lecturing football about discipline and respect when they bite each other and poke the oppo in the eye .
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:24 - Sep 8 with 4615 viewsrunningman75

If you want to avoid them and a want a decent cheap pint in town I would suggest going to Chandos. Normally my affordable drinking place in the west end.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:33 - Sep 8 with 4598 viewsrobith

That is an absolutely awful pub.

Though in my student days (when it was still the moon under water( did enjoy going in there on a Wednesday as there used to be a deaf group that met there and the pub would be full, be near silent as everyone spoke in sign. Also that cheapskates was around the corner so I wasn't far from 60p drinks.

Also rugby is great. Saying all their fans are posh and chinless is about as helpful as saying all football fans are hooligans. Pointless sterotypes that divide us. Also come down and play for my team in Surrey Merit League 2 and tell me rugby is a posh sport!
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:34 - Sep 8 with 4591 viewsGloryHunter

The Angel, St Giles High Street (just behind Centre Point). Ridiculously reasonable beer prices. Decent grub, too. And a dart board. Historic coaching inn. Can't work out how it's still there.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 13:11 - Sep 8 with 4453 viewsW12SG2

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:34 - Sep 8 by GloryHunter

The Angel, St Giles High Street (just behind Centre Point). Ridiculously reasonable beer prices. Decent grub, too. And a dart board. Historic coaching inn. Can't work out how it's still there.

Used to drink at the angel in the mid-nineties when I worked at Virgin records on Oxford St. Glad to hear it's still going - have to call in again soon. Surprised crossrail hasn't swallowed it up
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 13:48 - Sep 8 with 4387 viewsNorthernr

This is going to be a pain in the ars for the next six weeks. Pubs usually absolutely delighted to have you, falling over backwards to put the football on, suddenly don't want to know ou because Namibia are playing Romania in the fcking rugby world cup. Be glad to have us back and put the Championship football on in November though I'm sure.
Login to get fewer ads

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:27 - Sep 8 with 4312 viewspaulparker

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 13:48 - Sep 8 by Northernr

This is going to be a pain in the ars for the next six weeks. Pubs usually absolutely delighted to have you, falling over backwards to put the football on, suddenly don't want to know ou because Namibia are playing Romania in the fcking rugby world cup. Be glad to have us back and put the Championship football on in November though I'm sure.

Yep , spot on every single pub will have it and p1ss most off there custom base
it does my head in

My local has all the Prem games advertised, 90% of us regulars come in and watch the football , ( we have our own 1st scorer comp, prediction league etc , etc )
yet a couple of months back some random couple came in during the mersey side derby and insisted that Scotland vs France rugby game be shown, they got there way just sitting there nursing a diet coke between them ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:39 - Sep 8 with 4289 viewsWilloW4

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:27 - Sep 8 by paulparker

Yep , spot on every single pub will have it and p1ss most off there custom base
it does my head in

My local has all the Prem games advertised, 90% of us regulars come in and watch the football , ( we have our own 1st scorer comp, prediction league etc , etc )
yet a couple of months back some random couple came in during the mersey side derby and insisted that Scotland vs France rugby game be shown, they got there way just sitting there nursing a diet coke between them ,

Similar scenario in my old local boozer..2 posh couples sat down, never seen them before demanded, and I do mean demanded that England v Fiji (now be honest, we all give a shite), was shown on the big screen in front of them.. They ordered.. 1 tea, 1 coffee and , wait for it... 4, yes,4, pints of TAP water... Horrible people, I nearly wanted Fiji to win just to piss them off... It goes without saying that they left the pub straight after the final whistle.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:28 - Sep 8 with 4211 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I despise that place, for me it was my incarnation of the Marquee and when I think of the amazing nights there I shake my head in sorrow and feel like weeping.

Ok maybe I don't but I'm still fk'ed off they closed the club. 'Gigantic' Rock/Indie/metal bit of hip hop 6am Sunday morning finish and a 6ft4" beautiful Danish Barmaid called Anne whom I knew. Good times.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:32 - Sep 8 with 4197 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:39 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Similar scenario in my old local boozer..2 posh couples sat down, never seen them before demanded, and I do mean demanded that England v Fiji (now be honest, we all give a shite), was shown on the big screen in front of them.. They ordered.. 1 tea, 1 coffee and , wait for it... 4, yes,4, pints of TAP water... Horrible people, I nearly wanted Fiji to win just to piss them off... It goes without saying that they left the pub straight after the final whistle.

Leicester away a few years ago we ended up in the Walkabout (yes, yes, I know, hate the places too but Leicester is bad for pubs showing sports) on the day of Man Utd v Liverpool. It was also the day New Zealand ran 110 points through some no marks in an early RWC game. I'd say there were about 100 people in there, two of whom sat in All Blacks shirts in front of the biggest screen you've ever seen in your life with the sound turned up to ear splitting volume watching the cake walk. 98 of whom crowded round an 18 inch screen high up in the corner of the bar with the football on obscured by the commentary in subtitles.

PUTTING A FCKIING PLASTIC CROCODILE AND A SURF BOARD ON THE WALL DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE IN AUSTRALIA YOU CNTS.

Be even worse for us now The Crown has got rid of its Sky. Wall to wall kick and clap.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:42 - Sep 8 with 4174 viewsBlackCrowe

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:32 - Sep 8 by Northernr

Leicester away a few years ago we ended up in the Walkabout (yes, yes, I know, hate the places too but Leicester is bad for pubs showing sports) on the day of Man Utd v Liverpool. It was also the day New Zealand ran 110 points through some no marks in an early RWC game. I'd say there were about 100 people in there, two of whom sat in All Blacks shirts in front of the biggest screen you've ever seen in your life with the sound turned up to ear splitting volume watching the cake walk. 98 of whom crowded round an 18 inch screen high up in the corner of the bar with the football on obscured by the commentary in subtitles.

PUTTING A FCKIING PLASTIC CROCODILE AND A SURF BOARD ON THE WALL DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE IN AUSTRALIA YOU CNTS.

Be even worse for us now The Crown has got rid of its Sky. Wall to wall kick and clap.

Has it really? If so, that's grave news indeed and may seriously impact my Saturday routine.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:44 - Sep 8 with 4165 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:42 - Sep 8 by BlackCrowe

Has it really? If so, that's grave news indeed and may seriously impact my Saturday routine.

Keeping the BT apparently, so will still have the Saturday lunch time games, but Sky have kept the pub subscription at £1,400 a month despite no longer having the Saturday 12.45 game or any of the Champions League which were the biggest earners for pubs so apparently Fullers have pulled the Sky plug in most of their pubs and kept the BT only.

But, like I say, means that for the next 36 weeks or however long this cnt fest lasts we're going to be besieged with rugby coverage.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:50 - Sep 8 with 4144 viewsWilloW4

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:44 - Sep 8 by Northernr

Keeping the BT apparently, so will still have the Saturday lunch time games, but Sky have kept the pub subscription at £1,400 a month despite no longer having the Saturday 12.45 game or any of the Champions League which were the biggest earners for pubs so apparently Fullers have pulled the Sky plug in most of their pubs and kept the BT only.

But, like I say, means that for the next 36 weeks or however long this cnt fest lasts we're going to be besieged with rugby coverage.

Heard that about fullers too.. Not a bad thing, most fullers pubs are hugely ovverated, much like the slop they sale.. London Pride... Cat piss.. I say .
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:51 - Sep 8 with 4142 viewsBlackCrowe

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:44 - Sep 8 by Northernr

Good re: BT sports.

Also good re: RWC - I love it, except for the meaningless games against cannon fodder. Most meaningless RWC matches will be the early kick offs, so I can't see premier league matches giving way to those in the pubs.

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:54 - Sep 8 with 4133 viewspaulparker

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:50 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Heard that about fullers too.. Not a bad thing, most fullers pubs are hugely ovverated, much like the slop they sale.. London Pride... Cat piss.. I say .

Now , now Willo i normally agree with a lot you say my friend but im not having that
you get a decent pint of Pride or Chiswick bitter its like fecking Nector
i like Fullers, its a shame they have sold a few pubs off , i was told the other day that the Prince of Wales in Hillingdon has now gone , that had been there donkeys

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:58 - Sep 8 with 4120 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:50 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Right fcking bundle of joy this week aren't ya? Making me look like Mr Tickle.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:59 - Sep 8 with 4119 viewsMichael_Hunt

I know the landlord of a couple of Fullers pubs and he confirmed that Fullers had a "global" contract with Sky. Fullers tried to get the fee reduced (several million from memory) but they refused to negotiate and have therefore lost a shed load.
BUT they only see it as ONE subscriber leaving and don't give a flying!
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:00 - Sep 8 with 4118 viewsWilloW4

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:54 - Sep 8 by paulparker

Now , now Willo i normally agree with a lot you say my friend but im not having that
you get a decent pint of Pride or Chiswick bitter its like fecking Nector
i like Fullers, its a shame they have sold a few pubs off , i was told the other day that the Prince of Wales in Hillingdon has now gone , that had been there donkeys

Fair enough PP, I'm forever being told off by my bitter/ale drinking mates about the virtues of Pride etc... I've only had a couple of swigs over the years, and didn't get it... I'm a Guinness drinker, and obviously some folk hate the black stuff... So, each to their own mate... I'd happily drink too much with you😜.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:04 - Sep 8 with 4111 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:00 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Fair enough PP, I'm forever being told off by my bitter/ale drinking mates about the virtues of Pride etc... I've only had a couple of swigs over the years, and didn't get it... I'm a Guinness drinker, and obviously some folk hate the black stuff... So, each to their own mate... I'd happily drink too much with you😜.

Order ESB in a Fullers and see how you feel after 6 of 'em compared to any other beer/ale/stout.

I had remarkable findings

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:05 - Sep 8 with 4104 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:59 - Sep 8 by Michael_Hunt

I know the landlord of a couple of Fullers pubs and he confirmed that Fullers had a "global" contract with Sky. Fullers tried to get the fee reduced (several million from memory) but they refused to negotiate and have therefore lost a shed load.
BUT they only see it as ONE subscriber leaving and don't give a flying!

You'd like to think Sky would lose lots of money from it and see sense. Chances are what will happen is BT will simply start jacking their price up to a similar level.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:18 - Sep 8 with 4078 viewsBlackCrowe

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:05 - Sep 8 by Northernr

You'd like to think Sky would lose lots of money from it and see sense. Chances are what will happen is BT will simply start jacking their price up to a similar level.

If the £1400 per month is correct, then it's astonishing how back street local pubs can afford Sky. £350 a week when there's probably only max a game or two that will drive people in specifically to watch is a huge amount of incremental pint sales required just to break-even .

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:32 - Sep 8 with 4055 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:18 - Sep 8 by BlackCrowe

If the £1400 per month is correct, then it's astonishing how back street local pubs can afford Sky. £350 a week when there's probably only max a game or two that will drive people in specifically to watch is a huge amount of incremental pint sales required just to break-even .

That's what Gerry said. Basically the Crown was entirely reliant on the Saturdays to make Sky pay as nobody goes in there to watch it during the week. That in turn meant the first £1,400 of his Saturday each month wasn't his - he had to sell £1,400 worth of stuff before he'd even paid to have the TV on. This way they still have the Saturday lunch time and Champions League games.

Sucks for us though as we loved the two Sky box set up in there.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:38 - Sep 8 with 4042 viewsWilloW4

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:58 - Sep 8 by Northernr

Right fcking bundle of joy this week aren't ya? Making me look like Mr Tickle.

😜.. I'm actually a happy go lucky kind of guy.. Ironically I used to call my ex wife Mrs. Tickle... So I'm suspicious why you're Mr. Tickle.?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024