Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 15:39 - Sep 15 with 33060 viewskingsburyR

I don't think someone has started one yet.

Can't see past New Zealand but Ill have a cheeky £10 on the Aussies who always come good in a world cup.

And Bet of the week is for the Aussies to come top of England's group @ 2/1

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:48 - Sep 27 with 3133 viewsJonDoeman

Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:46 - Sep 19 by JonDoeman

Not an expert but it seems to me this England side give away too many silly penalties .

Called that one.

It Is What It Is !!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:13 - Sep 27 with 3110 viewsozexile

Can someone please answer a question for me on rugby. Is it a ruck or a mail when they're on the ground? And why do the opposition team continually give away crucial penalties in this phase of the game by putting their hands on the ball? It always leads to a penalty so why do it?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:34 - Sep 27 with 3058 viewspastieR

Can't believe England lost that!
Too many meatheads in the England team.
Lancaster still needs to prove his worth, not really sure why he got the job in the first place. He should have given his players the advice so they could have taken the right decision at the end.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:30 - Sep 27 with 2997 viewsDiscodroids

Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:53 - Sep 24 by robith

FAO Disco

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/fans-petition-itv-to-replace-tru

Thanks me old mate!, i thought it was just me being a moany old git again..But i have to leave the room when it comes on.

are you gonna do a write up /blog of the england/wales game?

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Rugby World Cup Thread on 04:35 - Sep 28 with 2920 viewsTGRRRSSS

Enjoying it so far, still can't believe SA lost to Japan, but I think that was a flash in the pan scenario really, expect minnows to get crushed from here on in as sides start to flex muscles for the QF's which will be business as usual bar one from the Group A I think.

Partly surprised by Eng's defeat but says alot about Lancaster and his tenure that in the middle of the tournement in a key game he didnt really know his first choice team, though unlucky on injury to Joseph and tbf Farrell did play well I felt and in all honesty for me his kicking should have made the difference.
However partly all the changes of personell for all sorts of reasons during SL's 3 years suggest he is slightly too much a "flavour of the month" man.
Last year's picking of Rokadaguni against the All Blacks only to be dropped straight away and not appear again until this summer for a bit of training when it was obvious he was never going to get into the squad is one example, the ultimate example is Luther Burrell a key man for ages until he didnt do quite so well in the warm up tests in August then he's dropped entirely are my main examples but there are others such as last summer in NZ picking Tuilagi on the wing in one test which was a disaster.

Nevertheless England could well still win the group because they MUST beat Australia to remain in it and then I think Aus would beat Wales to go through in second I've worked out how this can happen based on BP's making a crucuial difference, however Eng must beat Aus as I say.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:04 - Sep 28 with 2874 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup Thread on 04:35 - Sep 28 by TGRRRSSS

Enjoying it so far, still can't believe SA lost to Japan, but I think that was a flash in the pan scenario really, expect minnows to get crushed from here on in as sides start to flex muscles for the QF's which will be business as usual bar one from the Group A I think.

Partly surprised by Eng's defeat but says alot about Lancaster and his tenure that in the middle of the tournement in a key game he didnt really know his first choice team, though unlucky on injury to Joseph and tbf Farrell did play well I felt and in all honesty for me his kicking should have made the difference.
However partly all the changes of personell for all sorts of reasons during SL's 3 years suggest he is slightly too much a "flavour of the month" man.
Last year's picking of Rokadaguni against the All Blacks only to be dropped straight away and not appear again until this summer for a bit of training when it was obvious he was never going to get into the squad is one example, the ultimate example is Luther Burrell a key man for ages until he didnt do quite so well in the warm up tests in August then he's dropped entirely are my main examples but there are others such as last summer in NZ picking Tuilagi on the wing in one test which was a disaster.

Nevertheless England could well still win the group because they MUST beat Australia to remain in it and then I think Aus would beat Wales to go through in second I've worked out how this can happen based on BP's making a crucuial difference, however Eng must beat Aus as I say.

Don't fancy their chances to be honest. Australia looked pretty keen against Uruguay. England have been sloppy in both their matches so far. Unless the discipline improves 100% we'll continue to be our own worst enemy and Australia will keep getting points.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:44 - Sep 29 with 2823 viewsrobith

My weekend round up again

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rugby-world-cup-2015-weekend-2-round-up-a4b03a73
Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:36 - Sep 30 with 2749 viewsHitch

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:13 - Sep 27 by ozexile

Can someone please answer a question for me on rugby. Is it a ruck or a mail when they're on the ground? And why do the opposition team continually give away crucial penalties in this phase of the game by putting their hands on the ball? It always leads to a penalty so why do it?

In a maul the ball is off the ground. In a ruck the ball is on the ground and must not be touched by the hands, it must be rucked by the feet. In a tackle situation a player will try to place the ball for his team. The opposition will attempt to reach in and grab the ball. If there are 2 or more players contesting the ball on the ground it is deemed a ruck and the referee will say "ruck no hands" and players must leave the ball or risk a penalty. The tackle ball is always hotly contested to either slow down the opposition ball or to create a turnover. Players must stay on their feet or its a penalty, they must also enter the ruck from behind their last player, or once again its a penalty. The tackle ball area does create a lot of penalties if the ref is over zealous.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:08 - Sep 30 with 2721 viewsPhildo

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:44 - Sep 29 by robith

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rugby-world-cup-2015-weekend-2-round-up-a4b03a73

Enjoyed that and agreed with almost all. Thought Reddan was pretty poor for Ireland and a bigger weakness is cover at 9 rather than 10 though?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:14 - Sep 30 with 2698 viewsStanisgod

Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:36 - Sep 30 by Hitch

In a maul the ball is off the ground. In a ruck the ball is on the ground and must not be touched by the hands, it must be rucked by the feet. In a tackle situation a player will try to place the ball for his team. The opposition will attempt to reach in and grab the ball. If there are 2 or more players contesting the ball on the ground it is deemed a ruck and the referee will say "ruck no hands" and players must leave the ball or risk a penalty. The tackle ball is always hotly contested to either slow down the opposition ball or to create a turnover. Players must stay on their feet or its a penalty, they must also enter the ruck from behind their last player, or once again its a penalty. The tackle ball area does create a lot of penalties if the ref is over zealous.

Blimey, and I thought the offside rule was complicated !

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:24 - Sep 30 with 2693 viewsWatford_Ranger

I've enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to as I've had no interest in the sport since playing it at school. The only thing I'd like to see is better spacing out of the games. Seems to be an overload on the weekends and hardly anything Monday-Thursday.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:58 - Sep 30 with 2662 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:08 - Sep 30 by Phildo

Enjoyed that and agreed with almost all. Thought Reddan was pretty poor for Ireland and a bigger weakness is cover at 9 rather than 10 though?

Reddan wasn't great. I find he's best off the bench raising the tempo in the final 20. Given the choice was bring Issac Boss or have Madigan chance his arm at 9 (apparently Schmidt's had him training at it for a year) and the cover Madigan provides across the back line it's a no brainer really.

Sexton however is the best 10 in the NH, probably 2nd best in the world. Madigan is decent but prone to the outrageous, PJ is a terrific passer but his place kicking is nowhere near test standard. If Sexton were to get injured our chances for success would diminish greatly
Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:54 - Sep 30 with 2618 viewsjohncharles

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:44 - Sep 29 by robith

Another great report Robith. Keep 'em coming.
A question ~ what do you think of the bonus points system. Seems ridiculous that Wales, New Zealand and France have played 2, won 2, have 9 points. SA have played 2, lost 1, won 1 and have 7 points.

Strong and stable my arse.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:05 - Sep 30 with 2611 viewsDWQPR

Off to Stadium MK tomorrow for the French speaking derby, corporate invite and to be frank only going for the beer!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:51 - Oct 1 with 2566 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:54 - Sep 30 by johncharles

Another great report Robith. Keep 'em coming.
A question ~ what do you think of the bonus points system. Seems ridiculous that Wales, New Zealand and France have played 2, won 2, have 9 points. SA have played 2, lost 1, won 1 and have 7 points.

Here's the thing - the bonus point system works great when there's teams of around parity. It's one of the reasons the Heineken Cup has built up the support it has.

However when there's a load of minnows just getting humped it doesn't really add much. However, it could be the difference in group A - Eng got the BP vs Fiji, Aus didn't. If Wales don't today, they could be in big trouble.

The weird thing with the SA situation is it's a bit of an anomaly. The 4 try BP is reward attacking play, the losing BP is to reward teams for keeping touch and making games comeptitive. The reward of both to a single team is pretty rare (how many teams in the NH score 4 tries and lose!). Maybe could be limited to just a single BP.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:30 - Oct 2 with 2522 viewsozexile

Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:36 - Sep 30 by Hitch

Thank you. Can an opposition player reach over and pick the ball up then as long as he's on his feet?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:48 - Oct 2 with 2497 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:30 - Oct 2 by ozexile

Thank you. Can an opposition player reach over and pick the ball up then as long as he's on his feet?

Basically when the tackle has been made, it's the breakdown - the first player there, or the tackler if they have released can go over and compete for the ball. Once an opposition player has bound it's a ruck and no hands are allowed while the ball is inside the back foot of the ruck. If however the ball has exited the ruck (i.e the player at the base of the ruck hasn't controlled it or the scrum half puts his hands on the ball) then it is fair game as long as the player is onside - that is they started from behind the back foot of their side of the ruck, or they came "through the gate", that is straight through the middle of the ruck (you can't join at the side).

A successful strategy is to counter ruck. After the oppo have set their ruck, then furiously pushing back with aim of disrupting the scrum half or to push back over and get the ball to the back of your side of the ruck. This takes a lot of effort and man power though so is high risk so people tend to no compete once the ball's been lost to fan out the defensive line

Sorry a lot of that was stuff you already knew I just had to get the order right in my head
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:51 - Oct 2 with 2495 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:05 - Sep 30 by DWQPR

Off to Stadium MK tomorrow for the French speaking derby, corporate invite and to be frank only going for the beer!

Was a terrifically fun game though!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:50 - Oct 2 with 2452 viewsHitch

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:48 - Oct 2 by robith

Basically when the tackle has been made, it's the breakdown - the first player there, or the tackler if they have released can go over and compete for the ball. Once an opposition player has bound it's a ruck and no hands are allowed while the ball is inside the back foot of the ruck. If however the ball has exited the ruck (i.e the player at the base of the ruck hasn't controlled it or the scrum half puts his hands on the ball) then it is fair game as long as the player is onside - that is they started from behind the back foot of their side of the ruck, or they came "through the gate", that is straight through the middle of the ruck (you can't join at the side).

A successful strategy is to counter ruck. After the oppo have set their ruck, then furiously pushing back with aim of disrupting the scrum half or to push back over and get the ball to the back of your side of the ruck. This takes a lot of effort and man power though so is high risk so people tend to no compete once the ball's been lost to fan out the defensive line

Sorry a lot of that was stuff you already knew I just had to get the order right in my head

You will see lots of situations where a player is contesting for the ball then more players join in and the ref will say ruck , let it go. The player involved will either not hear the ref or just not let it go because he has worked so hard to get the it. The result is a penalty. The tackle ball area needs an overhaul because it creates a lot of confusion for players, refs and spectators.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:59 - Oct 3 with 2402 viewsted_hendrix

Well that's this thread fcked then.

From what I saw tonight England could play Australia again tomorrow night or next week and the score would still be the same.

Totally beaten out of sight tonight all over the pitch by a far far better side.

Bollox.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:05 - Oct 3 with 2377 viewsconnell10

I still think rugby is shite, run 5 yards fall over, stop, discuss, run 5 yards fall over etc etc. Total rubbish sport! 😀

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:12 - Oct 3 with 2365 viewskomradkirk

watched a bit of the rugby tonight as ive heard about those wonderful athletes who spunk all over football with their hardness and ability....looked like 30 bouncers standing about for two hours waiting for the eighty minutes to pass.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:14 - Oct 3 with 2360 viewsMrSheen

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:05 - Oct 3 by connell10

I still think rugby is shite, run 5 yards fall over, stop, discuss, run 5 yards fall over etc etc. Total rubbish sport! 😀

NRL final tomorrow. Fingers crossed for Thurston and the Cowboys.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:38 - Oct 3 with 2311 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:05 - Oct 3 by connell10

Don't be a prick.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:46 - Oct 3 with 2298 viewsHooparoo

I thought it was a great game! 😃

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024