Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 15:39 - Sep 15 with 33152 viewskingsburyR

I don't think someone has started one yet.

Can't see past New Zealand but Ill have a cheeky £10 on the Aussies who always come good in a world cup.

And Bet of the week is for the Aussies to come top of England's group @ 2/1

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:42 - Sep 15 with 9824 viewsGloucs_R

I have tickets to USA v Japan @ Kingsholm and Wales v Fiji at the Mad Stad

Poll: Are we staying up?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:04 - Sep 15 with 9801 viewseasthertsr

Craven Cottage will look like a Ghost Town between now and Halloween!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:23 - Sep 15 with 9769 viewsToast_R

New Zealand can't seem to put it together outside their own shores.

Australia nowhere near the force they once were, I reckon it could well be time for another Northern Hemisphere side to win it and Ireland are surely overdue a decent World Cup. I'm really looking forward to it on Friday.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2015 16:26]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:30 - Sep 15 with 9764 viewsElHoop

I fancy England and Australia. Plus I'll back Scotland to do something surprising, but not sure what yet.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:45 - Sep 15 with 9748 viewsBlackCrowe

Going to two matches and will watch tons on tv apart from the non-England cannon fodder games.

I'd have NZ and England as joint favourites. NZ clearly the best but home advantage evens it up. South Africa and potentially France (depending which France turns up) could also do it. Think Irish and Welsh will come up short.

Would love Oz to fail to qualify from the group of death.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:45 - Sep 15 with 9715 viewseghamranger

Don't like rugby really but got tickets to see the all blacks in Cardiff and got 2 final tickets..... Which I'm hoping to sell to a red corduroy toft type person. Will easily pay for my yearly season ticket 😄
Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:29 - Sep 15 with 9692 viewsrobith

Ireland fan here.

Our group is basically a straight shoot out with France in the final game. I'm always nervous about France and our recent record (2 draws, 2 wins) doesn't stop me from bricking it.

*however* France are and have been an absolute rabble under PSA. Tight and structured teams do well, which is what we are.

My concern is about our squad depth. Schmidt sees it as a 22 man game, and Moore and Trimble are massive losses to our depth. Also Healy is recovering from an injury and without him we only really have O'Brien as a ball carrier, when we also need him to do all our tackling and all our rucking.

So we should beat France, which will give us a QF against Argentina. Arg have been improving so much from being in the Rugby Championship - they beat Aus last year and spannered SA this year. We should win but it'll be tough.

Sadly from there, we'd get a SF against a team who had to play Scotland in the QF, so that's probably where our story ends.

Overall winner - hard to look past NZ. They're not perfect but hard to see who'll beat them. I feel Wales won't get out of the group of death. Halfpenny is a loss, but they have decent players to cover, but the loss of Webb at 9 is devastating to them. The other 9s have 19 caps between them. Add in their fetid record against Aus and Eng's twickenham record, it's not good reading.

South Africa are in a right auld mess. Just QFs for them I reckon.

England are in a rock and a hard place - play Farrell at 10, and they'll kick all their points but create nothing as he sits so deep. Play Ford and they are a joy to watch, but so so so profligate - the Scotland game last year cost them the 6 Nations cos they butchered so many chances.

I think Aus will surprise people. If someone else can knock out NZ they're my choice. But really, the best team usually wins, 95 aside (and some rabble that dragged themselves to the final comes second) - it's NZ's to lose
Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:16 - Sep 15 with 9657 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:29 - Sep 15 by robith

Ireland fan here.

Our group is basically a straight shoot out with France in the final game. I'm always nervous about France and our recent record (2 draws, 2 wins) doesn't stop me from bricking it.

*however* France are and have been an absolute rabble under PSA. Tight and structured teams do well, which is what we are.

My concern is about our squad depth. Schmidt sees it as a 22 man game, and Moore and Trimble are massive losses to our depth. Also Healy is recovering from an injury and without him we only really have O'Brien as a ball carrier, when we also need him to do all our tackling and all our rucking.

So we should beat France, which will give us a QF against Argentina. Arg have been improving so much from being in the Rugby Championship - they beat Aus last year and spannered SA this year. We should win but it'll be tough.

Sadly from there, we'd get a SF against a team who had to play Scotland in the QF, so that's probably where our story ends.

Overall winner - hard to look past NZ. They're not perfect but hard to see who'll beat them. I feel Wales won't get out of the group of death. Halfpenny is a loss, but they have decent players to cover, but the loss of Webb at 9 is devastating to them. The other 9s have 19 caps between them. Add in their fetid record against Aus and Eng's twickenham record, it's not good reading.

South Africa are in a right auld mess. Just QFs for them I reckon.

England are in a rock and a hard place - play Farrell at 10, and they'll kick all their points but create nothing as he sits so deep. Play Ford and they are a joy to watch, but so so so profligate - the Scotland game last year cost them the 6 Nations cos they butchered so many chances.

I think Aus will surprise people. If someone else can knock out NZ they're my choice. But really, the best team usually wins, 95 aside (and some rabble that dragged themselves to the final comes second) - it's NZ's to lose

You're probably right EI, but I think England have got a shout. A combination of their fairly abject performance a couple of weekends ago and as you say not much beyond the 1st XV, is why I don't think Ireland will make the final.

But who knows eh?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:43 - Sep 15 with 9598 viewsToast_R

Saffie mate of mine reckons SA have no chance having seen the squad selection. He's not happy and reckons politics are playing an underhanded part in who gets in.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:50 - Sep 15 with 9593 viewsdaveB

quite fancy the Irish to do well and if England get out of the group they will be tough to beat at home
Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:05 - Sep 15 with 9545 viewsLblock

I've often said if a high level of rugby was being played in my back garden I'd draw the curtains

However as I've got older I've found watching England at wugger and cricket strangely passable
Got offered corporate ticket to Saffers v USA at Olympic Stadium so I'm popping along with 4 good lads from work and a yank Client
Oddly looking forward to it

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:03 - Sep 16 with 9525 viewsHitch

New Zealand to play England in the final.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:18 - Sep 16 with 9490 viewsRanger78

I think home advantage and a tough group, give England a great chance. NZ are clear favourites but they'll win their group without breaking sweat.

England need to be at thier best to get out and I think momentum will be with them .

Looking forward to it
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 7:19]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:56 - Sep 16 with 9479 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:18 - Sep 16 by Ranger78

I think home advantage and a tough group, give England a great chance. NZ are clear favourites but they'll win their group without breaking sweat.

England need to be at thier best to get out and I think momentum will be with them .

Looking forward to it
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 7:19]

Betfairodds this morning:

New Zealand 2.3
England 5.9
South Africa 8.4
Australia 10
Ireland 11.5
France 18
Wales 36
Argentina 90
Scotland 190

I think that England's strength in depth could be a factor - we really do seem to have a lot of players capable of performing at this level, and the size of the squads and number of subs allowed favours the big battalions, as we can rest or replace players without reducing our effectiveness. The longer we survive in the tournament, the more important this may become, but we have to get out of the group first of course. Wales won't be helped by two key injuries and they didn't have England's numbers in the first place. I think that the World Cup favours the countries with deep squads. So Wales logically are the most likely to fall by the wayside in the group, well i hope so anyway, if only it were that easy.

If we go through with Australia then we can't play them again until the final, which i think may be what happens.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:36 - Sep 16 with 9436 viewsstarfish

If you're excited for the Rugby World Cup, and would like to watch a great match at Twickenham, then we have the answer!

Starfish Greathearts Foundation is giving you the chance to win 2 tickets to the Rugby World Cup Quarter Final 1. The match between the winner of Pool B and the Runner Up of Pool A will kick off at 4pm on Saturday 17th October at the legendary Twickenham Stadium.

To be in with a chance of winnng the pair of tickets (value of £500), all you need to do is enter our fantastic raffle. Raffle tickets are £10 each and the more you buy, the better the bargain!

Click on the link below to see further details and buy your tickets!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...=rugbychampion
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:52 - Sep 16 with 9398 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:36 - Sep 16 by starfish

If you're excited for the Rugby World Cup, and would like to watch a great match at Twickenham, then we have the answer!

Starfish Greathearts Foundation is giving you the chance to win 2 tickets to the Rugby World Cup Quarter Final 1. The match between the winner of Pool B and the Runner Up of Pool A will kick off at 4pm on Saturday 17th October at the legendary Twickenham Stadium.

To be in with a chance of winnng the pair of tickets (value of £500), all you need to do is enter our fantastic raffle. Raffle tickets are £10 each and the more you buy, the better the bargain!

Click on the link below to see further details and buy your tickets!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...=rugbychampion

How about you give me £500 and we'll call it quits. PM for further details.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:00 - Sep 16 with 9395 viewsMrSheen

I finally realised that I preferred League to Union on the opening night of World Cup 2007. After half an hour of a truly dismal kicking marathon between France and Argentina, I flicked over in despair to Sky to see St Helens and Wigan getting stuck into a real classic. Union's tactics have improved since that low ebb (well England's have, Wales and Ireland have committed further to kick, chase and smother), but I'm looking forward to Friday night...Saints v Wigan.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:38 - Sep 16 with 9371 viewseastside_r

Personally, I am of the view ‘if they were playing it in my back garden………………………..’

However, it’s Wales all the way for me but I am completely biased as my cousin is in their squad.

I quite like the Any Parson’s view though, when he said that it is difficult to take a World Cup seriously when only 8 nations give a shit about the sport and four of them are us!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:01 - Sep 16 with 9359 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:38 - Sep 16 by eastside_r

Personally, I am of the view ‘if they were playing it in my back garden………………………..’

However, it’s Wales all the way for me but I am completely biased as my cousin is in their squad.

I quite like the Any Parson’s view though, when he said that it is difficult to take a World Cup seriously when only 8 nations give a shit about the sport and four of them are us!

The Yanks have a World Series of baseball in which only US teams compete.

I think this year's RWC is one of the most unpredictable ever.
But since the 2 teams that I can't stand losing to are in our group, if England fail to qualify I will probably check myself into a monastry for the next 4 years so I don't have to hear the gloating of my Aussie sister and various Welsh friends.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:58 - Sep 16 with 9333 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As with each and every world cup since 1987, the team with the best defence will win it.

NZ are the team to beat but as someone mentioned above, they do have the propensity to blow up. If they don't, then I think they will win it.

I actually think this tournament is wide open and, dare I say it, the team that really wants to win it the most, will. Been based in the south of France since the turn of the year and after watching our local team, Carcasonne play Perpignan recently, my wife and I struck up conversation with a French chap visiting the area in a bar and by the end of it, he had me convinced France would save embarrassment by not coming and that the Webb Ellis has England's name all over it.

I was at the 1991 final at Twickers, great day despite the result. I am hoping to snag some tickets when back in London next month.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:34 - Sep 18 with 9259 viewsToast_R

Bang up for this tonight, finished work, now off to Lidl to get some food and beer. They got that 5 litre German mini kegs on offer again. That'll do me for the weekend!
Come on England, get a firm start on this tournament!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:11 - Sep 18 with 9253 viewsLowerloftLad

Rugby what what now ???

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:15 - Sep 18 with 9248 viewsWatford_Ranger

Excuse my ignorance as more of a RL man. Just putting my fantasy team together- is Carter expected to kick for NZ when he's playing?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:35 - Sep 18 with 9213 viewsconnell10

Rugby is shite, thats about it really!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:59 - Sep 18 with 9198 viewsMonahoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:00 - Sep 16 by MrSheen

I finally realised that I preferred League to Union on the opening night of World Cup 2007. After half an hour of a truly dismal kicking marathon between France and Argentina, I flicked over in despair to Sky to see St Helens and Wigan getting stuck into a real classic. Union's tactics have improved since that low ebb (well England's have, Wales and Ireland have committed further to kick, chase and smother), but I'm looking forward to Friday night...Saints v Wigan.

Like you I much prefer League to Union. A bit more skill involved and faster than stop, start, often boring Union. I don't affiliate to any clubs, but just enjoy watching it now and again. However I shall probably watch some of the World Cup if not doing anything else. Haven't a clue who might win it. Loads of Irish going over to watch it. Always makes me laugh over here, the number of people who say they are rugger fans and haven't the foggiest about the rules or the history of the game. Many I have spoken to or know seem quite smug. Just enjoy denouncing football [ soccer over here, ugh! ] or even GAA sports.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024