Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Place In England 04:25 - Oct 5 with 13662 viewsFredManRave

When you've been brought up in Crawley and then having moved around London, spent 8 years living in Croydon (Sorry Captain!), then most places in England, by comparison, seem good.

If I had to choose my favourite place to visit and one I'd actually like to end up living in then I'd choose Bexhill. It's like going back in time. First and foremost I would always choose a town/place by the coast and Bexhill has the added charm of being so laid back it's almost horizontal, it has a calm and tranquility about it that you can't begin to put a price on and the fish and chips are out of this world! The average age of the residents may well be 87 and there might not be any jobs there but a great place to be beside the seaside with my wife and two kids.

Yours?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Favourite Place In England on 09:28 - Oct 6 with 3896 viewsPommyhoop

Favourite Place In England on 09:24 - Oct 6 by londonscottish

True and I guess Burnham Market is a bad example what happens when posh London types decide to colonise somewhere. It's all black 4x4's with privacy glass, Hunter wellies and expensive dress shops. Might as well go to Fulham (apologies Konk but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Outside of there, to a visitor at least, it mostly looks fairly unspoilt.

I think they are called 'grockles 'down where my sister lives..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Favourite Place In England on 13:40 - Oct 6 with 3804 viewsFredManRave

Favourite Place In England on 01:38 - Oct 6 by isawqpratwcity

I can't hear Bexhill-on-Sea without thinking of the sublime "Adolf Hitler and My Part in His Downfall".

Oh, Cornwall for me. Maybe some of the Neolithic sites in Wiltshire and Devon.

This song reminds me of Bexhill, mainly due to the fact it's about and filmed in Bexhill.

And if anymore proof were needed abut how great Bexhill is just check out the comments;

I've got the Power.

Favourite Place In England on 13:55 - Oct 6 with 3791 viewseastside_r

Favourite Place In England on 14:06 - Oct 6 with 3778 viewsscot1963

I'm in Penzance in Cornwall, a trip advisor contributor says that it would be a nice holiday resort but it's as if all the people you would not want to live in a place caught a train to Cornwall and got off there. It's got a lot of character(s)

I've not actually stopped at the area between Exeter and Teignmouth, Dawlish etc, with the red rocks, beautiful scenery and the bird life, but it's my favourite place to pass through on the train and I am going to visit there one day.

I have really fond memories of Falmouth as my gran lived there

My favourite place is actually in Wales sitting on Blob's bench (ooer) looking out at the Welsh hills
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:08]
Favourite Place In England on 14:13 - Oct 6 with 3771 viewsbatmanhoop

Favourite Place In England on 17:48 - Oct 5 by PunteR

Richmond park is high up on my list. Born in Roehampton,spent my first few years in Barnes then my folks moved to Richmond. They still live there.
Love going back now and then and visit the park which is about a 5 min walk from my folks house. A beer on Richmond hills The Roebuck is a treat.
Agree with what's already been said that there are stunning places to visit all over England.
Devon and Cornwall especially.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 8:51]

I spent my first 7 years working in Richmond. The view of the Thames meandering in the distance from Richmond Hill takes some beating
Favourite Place In England on 14:29 - Oct 6 with 3758 viewsTheBlob

Favourite Place In England on 14:06 - Oct 6 by scot1963

I'm in Penzance in Cornwall, a trip advisor contributor says that it would be a nice holiday resort but it's as if all the people you would not want to live in a place caught a train to Cornwall and got off there. It's got a lot of character(s)

I've not actually stopped at the area between Exeter and Teignmouth, Dawlish etc, with the red rocks, beautiful scenery and the bird life, but it's my favourite place to pass through on the train and I am going to visit there one day.

I have really fond memories of Falmouth as my gran lived there

My favourite place is actually in Wales sitting on Blob's bench (ooer) looking out at the Welsh hills
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:08]

Not in this weather though Scotty.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Favourite Place In England on 14:59 - Oct 6 with 3742 viewsTheBlob

Some day I'm going back to Poldhu Cove where I spent magical summers as a boy.
That old caravan propped up on bricks where they served warm Pepsi and the wind that ruffled your hair was the voice of drowned sea farers,and their souls would come to sit with you and tell tall stories of battes won and lost,cannon blasted galleons filled with caskets of treasure jealously guarded by giant squid.......
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 15:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Favourite Place In England on 16:40 - Oct 6 with 3696 viewsfreddieeddie

Favourite Place In England on 15:40 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

What would I know, I have only lived here 44 years (apart from three years in Hong Kong)
Seems quite a few people disagree it is 'hell on earth' given it is the most populous borough as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 15:46]

No offence but some people are a little oblivious to things that go on around them. Trust me, I get to know EXACTLY what goes on in Croydon every single day and trust me most things do not get mentioned in the press.

Thornton Heath, Norbury, Norwood, Broad Green, Town Centre, Selhurst etc etc, you could offer me a £400k house with no mortgage and I wouldn't even consider living in those areas.

Only last week an OAP on his front drive at 0950 hours cleaning his car was robbed of his wallet and mobile by hooded youths. Two months ago, 6 large scale gang fights in the town centre in one day involving whites, afghans, black, asian, the lot. Not even reported my friend.

Each to there own....each to there own.

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Place In England on 17:27 - Oct 6 with 3674 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 16:40 - Oct 6 by freddieeddie

No offence but some people are a little oblivious to things that go on around them. Trust me, I get to know EXACTLY what goes on in Croydon every single day and trust me most things do not get mentioned in the press.

Thornton Heath, Norbury, Norwood, Broad Green, Town Centre, Selhurst etc etc, you could offer me a £400k house with no mortgage and I wouldn't even consider living in those areas.

Only last week an OAP on his front drive at 0950 hours cleaning his car was robbed of his wallet and mobile by hooded youths. Two months ago, 6 large scale gang fights in the town centre in one day involving whites, afghans, black, asian, the lot. Not even reported my friend.

Each to there own....each to there own.

Each to their own as you say. I work in Thornton Heath and it is one of the worse parts of town. Not sure how many houses they are giving away unencumbered though.
Those things can happen anywhere I am afraid and do you really thing everything is reported everywhere?
To say I am oblivious does cause a little offense because I know the area well. Loads of places have bad and good parts. You live in Reigate which is lovely but like Purley is only a few miles from central Croydon.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 17:46]
Favourite Place In England on 18:19 - Oct 6 with 3641 viewsPunteR

Favourite Place In England on 17:27 - Oct 6 by CroydonCaptJack

Each to their own as you say. I work in Thornton Heath and it is one of the worse parts of town. Not sure how many houses they are giving away unencumbered though.
Those things can happen anywhere I am afraid and do you really thing everything is reported everywhere?
To say I am oblivious does cause a little offense because I know the area well. Loads of places have bad and good parts. You live in Reigate which is lovely but like Purley is only a few miles from central Croydon.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 17:46]

Agree mate. Like I say I was brought up in the affluent Richmond,a lovely part of the world. But trust me , there was a lot going on behind the scenes. Drugs and crime was rife. Sadly its everywhere.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Favourite Place In England on 18:33 - Oct 6 with 3634 viewsfreddieeddie

Favourite Place In England on 18:19 - Oct 6 by PunteR

Agree mate. Like I say I was brought up in the affluent Richmond,a lovely part of the world. But trust me , there was a lot going on behind the scenes. Drugs and crime was rife. Sadly its everywhere.

A good friend of mine was a cop in Richmond and h said how quiet and boring it was working there. He elft that borough as just no crime really going on. He went to Wandsworth for some action.

Favourite Place In England on 18:42 - Oct 6 with 3629 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 18:33 - Oct 6 by freddieeddie

A good friend of mine was a cop in Richmond and h said how quiet and boring it was working there. He elft that borough as just no crime really going on. He went to Wandsworth for some action.

A lady who used to work with me over in West Byfleet has a son who joined up and got posted in the Croydon area. She e mailed me to ask what New Addington was like as that was where it was. That was a tricky one to respond too!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 18:43]
Favourite Place In England on 18:52 - Oct 6 with 3621 viewsFredManRave

Favourite Place In England on 18:42 - Oct 6 by CroydonCaptJack

A lady who used to work with me over in West Byfleet has a son who joined up and got posted in the Croydon area. She e mailed me to ask what New Addington was like as that was where it was. That was a tricky one to respond too!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 18:43]

Right, that's it. New Addington being mentioned on a favourite place in England thread is the final straw. Stop bringing down this thread and start your own "Hell on Earth in South East London" thread.

So, the Lake District...

I've got the Power.

Favourite Place In England on 19:44 - Oct 6 with 3589 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 18:52 - Oct 6 by FredManRave

Right, that's it. New Addington being mentioned on a favourite place in England thread is the final straw. Stop bringing down this thread and start your own "Hell on Earth in South East London" thread.

So, the Lake District...

Ambleside for me Fred.
Favourite Place In England on 20:49 - Oct 6 with 3544 viewsBrightonhoop

Living in Spain this thread risked making me feel nostalgic. There's one place I miss most, and that's LR. Second is aspects of Sussex. Third is Hay on Wye, and Berwick, which until recently disputed border boundaries, left it war with Russia.

Beyond England's direct borders, i love Portmerion and the Snowden villages around Ffestiniog, grey, grim slate and rain. The Highlands north of Inverness too are great for walking. Take a small tent and fck off for a few nights mid-summer, there's nowhere on earth quite like it.
Favourite Place In England on 22:00 - Oct 6 with 3509 viewsPunteR

Favourite Place In England on 18:33 - Oct 6 by freddieeddie

Wasn't boring for me mate. I am talking 20 years ago mind.

Favourite Place In England on 22:09 - Oct 6 with 3503 viewsizlingtonhoop

What is a "direct border"?
Favourite Place In England on 00:05 - Oct 27 with 3284 viewsPunteR

Visited my brother and sister in law up in Birmingham this weekend. They've just recently moved there. We had a day out today ,to a place called ,funnily enough Clent Hills.
What an absolutely stunning place,we had panoramic views and could see for about 27 miles out . Stunning scenery,especially this time of year.
I never knew this place existed in the midlands.we all talked about how beautiful this country is,even in the midlands. Yes me and my kids started singing Clent Hills,we just like visiting Clent Hills....
There's a cafe that does the best bacon sarnies as well.
Worth a visit if your in the area.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 0:07]

Favourite Place In England on 10:17 - Nov 10 with 3163 viewsfreddieeddie

Favourite Place In England on 15:40 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

What would I know, I have only lived here 44 years (apart from three years in Hong Kong)
Seems quite a few people disagree it is 'hell on earth' given it is the most populous borough as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 15:46]

Morning Captain Croydon Jack.....This is just in the last few days in Croydon......as I said, hell on earth. This is just what get's reported. Trust me a lot more has happened over the last week.

SHOT FIRED INTO THORNTON HEATH NEWSAGENT WHILE MOTHER AND CHILD SHOPPED
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Shot-fired-Thornton-Heath-newsagent-missed-mo

GIRL, 14, ARRESTED OVER ATTACK ON 87-YEAR-OLD WOMAN ON COULSDON BUS
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Girl-14-arrested-87-year-old-punched-face/sto

MAN, 20, IN SERIOUS CONDITION AFTER STABBING IN SELHURST
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Man-aged-20-condition-stabbing-Selhurst/story

GIRL, 11, FROM CROYDON APPEARS IN COURT CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED ROBBERY 'NEAR THE SWINGS' IN PARK
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Girl-11-Croydon-appears-court-charged-attempt

Favourite Place In England on 23:59 - Nov 12 with 3023 viewsdistortR

Favourite Place In England on 10:17 - Nov 10 by freddieeddie

Morning Captain Croydon Jack.....This is just in the last few days in Croydon......as I said, hell on earth. This is just what get's reported. Trust me a lot more has happened over the last week.

SHOT FIRED INTO THORNTON HEATH NEWSAGENT WHILE MOTHER AND CHILD SHOPPED
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Shot-fired-Thornton-Heath-newsagent-missed-mo

GIRL, 14, ARRESTED OVER ATTACK ON 87-YEAR-OLD WOMAN ON COULSDON BUS
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Girl-14-arrested-87-year-old-punched-face/sto

MAN, 20, IN SERIOUS CONDITION AFTER STABBING IN SELHURST
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Man-aged-20-condition-stabbing-Selhurst/story

GIRL, 11, FROM CROYDON APPEARS IN COURT CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED ROBBERY 'NEAR THE SWINGS' IN PARK
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Girl-11-Croydon-appears-court-charged-attempt

'kin hell, little ray of sunshine you are.
Favourite Place In England on 01:10 - Nov 13 with 2993 viewsfreddieeddie

Favourite Place In England on 23:59 - Nov 12 by distortR

'kin hell, little ray of sunshine you are.

People blinded by life and people that talk shi* just get on my ti*s.

Add a murder and in total 8 stabbing a in Croydon this month. Shi* hole of a place.

Favourite Place In England on 01:17 - Nov 13 with 2990 viewsBrightonhoop

South west beyond Dorset is a miserable place at best, the most un friendly locals anywhere, you'll get a better welcome in Coventry. Dont get off that train in Dawlish/Exeter, best thing is the train journey out,on a high tide. Inbreds that make Norwich look high cultured. The same DNA exists in the petri dish going back generations.....

I love Brighton, it has the same energy of London but is still parochial, like a village, but offers escape routes both back to London and onto the Downs. Bexhills an interesting one, mad almost cave houses on the seafront near the art building De La vier? Locals not very welcoming though. Hastings and its environs are not far enough away...

i cant stand the cold so i'll settle for this odd corner of Spain that feels as much a part of Europe as Dar es Salem. It's very odd. I miss LR. and the Bush on a saturday. England for me is somewhere in my heart only, welsh borders are interesting still, bit not Malvern.
Favourite Place In England on 01:33 - Nov 13 with 2982 viewsPunteR

Favourite Place In England on 01:10 - Nov 13 by freddieeddie

People blinded by life and people that talk shi* just get on my ti*s.

Add a murder and in total 8 stabbing a in Croydon this month. Shi* hole of a place.

People blinded by life...?
What does that mean Freddieddie?
You've put a downer on a perfectly good thread. You old bill by any chance?

Favourite Place In England on 01:46 - Nov 13 with 2975 viewsitsbiga

Loftus Road

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Favourite Place In England on 08:19 - Nov 13 with 2942 viewsSuffolkHoop

Waterloo Bridge
Loftus Road
Suffolk
Nottingham
-----------
Abroad - Playa Amadores (Canary Islands)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024