Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Place In England 04:25 - Oct 5 with 13740 viewsFredManRave

When you've been brought up in Crawley and then having moved around London, spent 8 years living in Croydon (Sorry Captain!), then most places in England, by comparison, seem good.

If I had to choose my favourite place to visit and one I'd actually like to end up living in then I'd choose Bexhill. It's like going back in time. First and foremost I would always choose a town/place by the coast and Bexhill has the added charm of being so laid back it's almost horizontal, it has a calm and tranquility about it that you can't begin to put a price on and the fish and chips are out of this world! The average age of the residents may well be 87 and there might not be any jobs there but a great place to be beside the seaside with my wife and two kids.

Yours?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Favourite Place In England on 06:08 - Oct 5 with 5909 viewsitsbiga

Grew up in Brixton and then all around the area ,Stockwell, Kennington, Clapham.
Loved it. I'm an R cuz my old man was from the bush before he moved to SE London.
Clapham feels like home for me, lived in Los Angeles the last 10
Years now. Still have loads of friends in the area that I love to visit when I come back.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Favourite Place In England on 06:40 - Oct 5 with 5875 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

Favourite Place In England on 06:08 - Oct 5 by itsbiga

Grew up in Brixton and then all around the area ,Stockwell, Kennington, Clapham.
Loved it. I'm an R cuz my old man was from the bush before he moved to SE London.
Clapham feels like home for me, lived in Los Angeles the last 10
Years now. Still have loads of friends in the area that I love to visit when I come back.

My favourite place in England has to be Cornwall. Some of the best beaches i have ever been to. Beauty all over the place and some of the nicest people you will meet.
Favourite Place In England on 07:20 - Oct 5 with 5841 viewsfreddieeddie

We keep mising each other FREDMANRAVE.

Grew up and lived in Lewisham until I was 18, then lived in Hastings until 24, Surrey until now but moving to Crawley next month.

My mum and dad love Bexhill, I used to like a walk there but not sure about living in Bexhill for good.

I have always just loved Scotland and especially Edinburgh. Can't see it happening but I just feel so at home there. I currently live in Reigate and it is a lovely place to live (voted 3rd in country) but so expensive. 2 bed house on my road or surrounding are up for £500-£600k.

I have worked in Croydon for the last 7 years, hell on earth.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 7:21]

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

Favourite Place In England on 07:39 - Oct 5 with 5815 viewsloftboy

Grew up in Bracknell, did two years in sunbury, and have been in chertsey for 21 years, my favourite place has to be Weymouth and all along the Jurassic coast, Cornwall comes a close second though.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Place In England on 08:10 - Oct 5 with 5781 viewsQPRDEL

Love Southwold in Suffolk, bit like going back in time
Favourite Place In England on 08:22 - Oct 5 with 5765 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I loved Chester, I assume it's much the same.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite Place In England on 08:45 - Oct 5 with 5717 viewsToast_R

I'm with Loftboy, Weymouth is a great place, I like most of Dorset to be honest. The wife and I have a 10 year plan in which to be living there.
Brought up in Morden, wasn't too bad in 80s and have fond memories my mum taking me shopping in the the local shops but over the years they've all closed down, it's horrible now.
Moved to Carshalton Beeches for 6 years and now live in Molesey since 2012 and I really like it. Just far out enough to be away from the hussle and bussle but 20 Minutes up the A3 and your in town again.

Great thread by the way, I think an a favourite place will often require a connection from your past. For me Dorset and Devon the scene of many a happy family holiday back in the early 80s.

I've been thinking about a particular place in West Ward Ho! North Devon we had two wonderful family holidays there in what must have been 1984 and 1985. The holiday park was new when we went the first time, it was all wooden chalet's, had a small fun fair and arcade and the clubhouse had the old Star Wars Arcade machine in the foyer and those higher or lower card game machines. I've been meaning to re-visit one day with my brother but for the life of me I can't find it.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 8:54]
Favourite Place In England on 08:50 - Oct 5 with 5712 viewsMrSheen

Along the Wye Valley by the Welsh border is so peaceful. When your biggest town within 30 minutes drive is Hereford, you've found the middle of nowhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Place In England on 08:54 - Oct 5 with 5703 viewsPommyhoop

Born in Battersea, early years there then edged further West. Chiswick.>Hammersmith.>Southall/Heston.>Isleworth. finishing up in Harlington.before coming down here.Sister left the smoke to go down to Zzzzzumerzzett so Ive been down to her village loads and love it down there. Also a long term girlfriends Dad moved to North Devon so we visited there quite a bit.Very nice. Cornwall is lovely too.
You cant go wrong if the place's name ends in Combe it seems. Unless its that place in Croydon

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Favourite Place In England on 09:35 - Oct 5 with 5641 viewsDWQPR

Love the southbank of the Thames around Southwark/Bankside. A great place for food and drink, the Globe Theatre and a general stroll.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Favourite Place In England on 09:39 - Oct 5 with 5632 viewsElHoop

I love Chester and Cheltenham and most places beginning Che aren't too bad are they?

Oh hold on a minute....
Favourite Place In England on 09:42 - Oct 5 with 5624 viewsCroydonCaptJack

No offence taken Fred re Croydon.
I actually live in Purley but more people have heard of Croydon. The centre is extremely dated and ugly (but undergoing transformation courtesy of Westfield etc) but there are some nice places in the surrounding areas. And to call it 'hell on earth' is just playing to the traditional view of Croydon. I am surprised someone working here says that.

But Bexhill on sea? Seriously?? Get your pipe and slippers mate.
Favourite Place In England on 10:04 - Oct 5 with 5596 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Always wanted to spend some holidays surfing in Cornwall. Was watching some housey programme on C4 last night about it and it looked unreal.

Apart from that, I spent a couple of weeks on barge trips around Northamptonshire and loved it.

I've lived in Engalnd for seventeen years, mostly around Harrow. I'm not into city or big town life so it's not for me anymore but happy memories all the same.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite Place In England on 11:01 - Oct 5 with 5527 viewsPhildo

i love the bush and hammersmith as they were in about 1985. Actually the Askew Road in about 1985. Cant move for organic muesli weaving down there now though,

Hat tip to a posh bloke i met at a wedding who i asked the same question to a while ago and he said without hesitation 'Shropshire 1954'
Favourite Place In England on 11:29 - Oct 5 with 5480 viewsbatmanhoop

I live just up the road from Lyme Regis just inside Devon. You can't dispute the beauty of it here in the SW, but boy, the night life is non-existent, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Favourite Place In England on 11:44 - Oct 5 with 5454 viewsgordanoR

I was born & spent a lot of years in Swindon so everywhere else is nice to me.

I do love where we live in Gloucestershire though & for UK holiday destinations the current favourite is Shaldon in Devon.
Favourite Place In England on 12:45 - Oct 5 with 5385 viewshopphoops

Favourite Place In England on 08:50 - Oct 5 by MrSheen

Along the Wye Valley by the Welsh border is so peaceful. When your biggest town within 30 minutes drive is Hereford, you've found the middle of nowhere.

It's where my parents retired to, a really lovely area. Often you can look out and see the rain falling on Hay Bluff and the Welsh mountains while you're bathed in sunshine. It's still like the 1970s because its just too far from London, Brum or Brizzle for commuters. Now both my parents have died we've got to sell the house, I hope i don't lose touch with the place.

Can't disagree about Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, all great, but I think the moneyed tourists and downsizers might do my head in if I ever lived in Cornwall.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Favourite Place In England on 13:01 - Oct 5 with 5352 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I have spent so much of my adult life living/working and travelling all over the planet. And yet, when I come back to the UK, I am often astounded by some of the incredible beauty we have. some of which can rival most places I have been to.

Fave places, Lyme Regis/Dorset and the south west. I lived in Manchester for many years and as a result, I had the wonderful Lakes, Peak District and Moors on my doorstep, and if you ever get the chance, then walk Hadrian's Wall.

I was born in Greenford, maybe not the prettiest place in the world. But when I go home to visit the mother, I find the walk down the Grand Union to Paddington or, wandering around Horsenden Hill and then popping into the Black Horse for a pint of London Pride has a certain magic about it.

Matchday in Shepherd's Bush when we had the Bushranger, Goldhawk too some beating as well!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Favourite Place In England on 13:24 - Oct 5 with 5315 viewshopphoops

Favourite Place In England on 13:01 - Oct 5 by PlanetHonneywood

I have spent so much of my adult life living/working and travelling all over the planet. And yet, when I come back to the UK, I am often astounded by some of the incredible beauty we have. some of which can rival most places I have been to.

Fave places, Lyme Regis/Dorset and the south west. I lived in Manchester for many years and as a result, I had the wonderful Lakes, Peak District and Moors on my doorstep, and if you ever get the chance, then walk Hadrian's Wall.

I was born in Greenford, maybe not the prettiest place in the world. But when I go home to visit the mother, I find the walk down the Grand Union to Paddington or, wandering around Horsenden Hill and then popping into the Black Horse for a pint of London Pride has a certain magic about it.

Matchday in Shepherd's Bush when we had the Bushranger, Goldhawk too some beating as well!

Exactly, and I say that from Switzerland which is no slouch on the views front.

I wouldn't choose to go back to live in London but the thread on walking to Charlton got me all nostalgic for its unlimited potential for urban discovery.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Favourite Place In England on 13:39 - Oct 5 with 5279 viewsbosh67

My girlfriend's bed!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Favourite Place In England on 13:46 - Oct 5 with 5266 viewsaston_hoop

Cambridge was always a special city for me as I used to go there lots as a kid. That and the Devon coast are both beautiful. In fact, living outside the UK I always really appreciate the green fields and English countryside when coming in to land back there. Then the reality hits and I've landed in Luton. But its nice up until then.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Favourite Place In England on 13:57 - Oct 5 with 5240 viewsMonahoop

Though I live in Ireland now, I was born and bred in Sussex, so I still have a bias towards the place. Crawley and Burgess Hill aside there are still some nice places. I love the South Downs and when I come back to visit, I still like trundle around various locations on them. I agree with FredManRave about Bexhill. I have a QPR supporting cousin living there. Not the most spectacular place on Earth, but it does have dated charm as a few Sussex coastal towns do.

I also like the north Norfolk coast area. Weird and wild and that's not just the locals!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Favourite Place In England on 15:24 - Oct 5 with 5154 viewsfreddieeddie

Favourite Place In England on 09:42 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

No offence taken Fred re Croydon.
I actually live in Purley but more people have heard of Croydon. The centre is extremely dated and ugly (but undergoing transformation courtesy of Westfield etc) but there are some nice places in the surrounding areas. And to call it 'hell on earth' is just playing to the traditional view of Croydon. I am surprised someone working here says that.

But Bexhill on sea? Seriously?? Get your pipe and slippers mate.

Well mate, yes a few parts are Ok. If you knew what I done for a living and what an insight I had to Croydon you'd know why it is 'hell on earth'.

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

Favourite Place In England on 15:35 - Oct 5 with 5139 viewsMedwayR

Gatwick Airport, every time I go there I jump on a plane and end up somewhere nice & warm!!

Poll: Who’s better?

Favourite Place In England on 15:40 - Oct 5 with 5132 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 15:24 - Oct 5 by freddieeddie

Well mate, yes a few parts are Ok. If you knew what I done for a living and what an insight I had to Croydon you'd know why it is 'hell on earth'.

What would I know, I have only lived here 44 years (apart from three years in Hong Kong)
Seems quite a few people disagree it is 'hell on earth' given it is the most populous borough as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 15:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024