Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5p shopping bags 08:44 - Oct 5 with 12668 viewsexiled_dictator

shoppers will now be charged 5p for a plastic bag, if the retailer has more than 250 employees.
i am very happy that this long overdue change is coming into force from today.
many of our regular shoppers either reuse plastic bags, use bags for life, or even the ikea large bags. but inevitably, there are also donces who ask for a plastic bag having purchased a mars bar, or something that clearly does not require a bag.
i would love to have a no bag policy where you either enter the shop with a bag already, or simply don't use one at all. many purchases don't require them. i am talking specifically about convenience food purchases, not knicker buying in marks and sparks. i think most people already have enough bags at home, or in their car to justify such a policy.
stop providing plastic bags, just use what you have or purchase a bag for life.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 17:29 - Oct 5 with 2114 viewsbosh67

5p shopping bags on 10:49 - Oct 5 by Antti_Heinola

Come on Bosh - is that really a reason not to do it? Did Ireland say 'what's the point in us not doing it if England doesn't?'
Hate that argument, it makes zero sense. And at least China is investing huge amounts in clean energy tech, while our government is removing subsidies.

Dave. Just buy a small fold up bag. No bigger than your wallet. You can do it. It's easy.

No, I think I may have said that wrong. I am all for it and the UK should do it. No problem with it. The problem is making other nations do the same. If all nations agreed and did this, yes it would make a difference. We ingest god knows how much plastic now in the food chain and it will knacker every human and animal in the future if we don't do something. My only issue is can it make a long term difference if everyone doesn't sign up? That's all I am saying.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

5p shopping bags on 17:58 - Oct 5 with 2089 viewsstuabd

5p shopping bags on 09:48 - Oct 5 by simmo

As a man that uses old carrier bags in the bins at home, this is a double blow.

Me too. I justify this to myself by saying that the ever increasing number of carrier bags at home stops me using regular rubbish bags therefore saving the environment indirectly :)
5p shopping bags on 20:01 - Oct 5 with 2043 viewsTW_R

5p shopping bags on 13:43 - Oct 5 by BlackCrowe

If I was Mr Tesco or Mr Asda etc, I'd steal a march and pay for customers continuing using plastic bags by buying the bags for them by deducting it off their bill. Sure driver of footfall that would more than self-fund.

This and what Bluce said.

Taking 50p off the cost of 80 quids worth of shopping would be worth it for the gain in customers.

I've been going on for years about them using biodegradable bags. They put washing liquid in bags that dissolve in the wash, so I can't believe its that difficult to do something similar with shopping bags.
5p shopping bags on 20:35 - Oct 5 with 2030 viewskensalriser

Regardless of Metallica and his ale, what's wrong with using paper? Been doing that in the US for years.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

5p shopping bags on 21:09 - Oct 5 with 2011 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 20:35 - Oct 5 by kensalriser

Regardless of Metallica and his ale, what's wrong with using paper? Been doing that in the US for years.

Paper is more expensive to manufacture and transport, especially of the sort robust enough to carry groceries. A greater volume of space is also required for storage of the paper bags that they would need. Not sure why the US still uses them to such a great extent, perhaps tradition that people do not want to move away from.

Monetary reasons are why the supermarkets, when giving something for free, use plastic here. Might be interesting to see if any choose to switch to paper to get around this new law
5p shopping bags on 21:59 - Oct 5 with 1988 viewsmichael67

5p shopping bags on 21:09 - Oct 5 by GetMeRangers

Paper is more expensive to manufacture and transport, especially of the sort robust enough to carry groceries. A greater volume of space is also required for storage of the paper bags that they would need. Not sure why the US still uses them to such a great extent, perhaps tradition that people do not want to move away from.

Monetary reasons are why the supermarkets, when giving something for free, use plastic here. Might be interesting to see if any choose to switch to paper to get around this new law

Primark have been using paper bags for years. Go down Oxford Street and see how many paper handles break or the bags tear and the contents go everywhere. Best to go down the Irish way and go for bags for life. They adapted, why can't we.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

5p shopping bags on 22:10 - Oct 5 with 1980 viewsozranger

Living in a closed society where I am, we banned plastic bags from supermarkets a good few years ago. Many a tourist from interstate or overseas arrives at the supermarket here only to find that there are no standard plastic bags that they are used to and have to pay for the recyclable plastic-style bags available. We have had hessian bags prior to the beginning of the ban. Large department stores including Myers and DJs still have theirs and they are generally well reusable, but at the smaller department stores (BigW or Target) you have to bring your own bags. We were also one of the first places in Oz to ban smoking from pretty well everywhere, including, recently, the whole of the main university campus. Other than the politicians, I guess this place does have some advantages.
5p shopping bags on 22:18 - Oct 5 with 1973 viewsFredManRave

Don't see what the problem is personally. Just take your 3D printer with you when you go shopping and then when you're at the checkout print off as many bags as you need.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

5p shopping bags on 22:28 - Oct 5 with 1966 viewsPunteR

I'm just going to roll my wheelbarrow and rubble bags into the shop.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

5p shopping bags on 22:31 - Oct 5 with 1964 viewskarl

5p shopping bags on 22:10 - Oct 5 by ozranger

Living in a closed society where I am, we banned plastic bags from supermarkets a good few years ago. Many a tourist from interstate or overseas arrives at the supermarket here only to find that there are no standard plastic bags that they are used to and have to pay for the recyclable plastic-style bags available. We have had hessian bags prior to the beginning of the ban. Large department stores including Myers and DJs still have theirs and they are generally well reusable, but at the smaller department stores (BigW or Target) you have to bring your own bags. We were also one of the first places in Oz to ban smoking from pretty well everywhere, including, recently, the whole of the main university campus. Other than the politicians, I guess this place does have some advantages.

Took me a week or so to adapt, stick a bagful in your vehicle and you probably end up buying one 10p bag for life a fortnight through being in a different car or on foot etc.
We very rarely do a big weekly shop so in and out of shops all week so easier to forget?
Noticeable here is that every single retailer charges you, it is certainly not 250 employees and over. The small shops here generally have a donation jar on the counter with a nominated charity advertised and you are asked to make a small contribution for your bag, never heard an adverse comment about this and most people pay more than 5p in my experience.
I hope that Hollowayranger has been told that all the 5p's collected in England will be to subsidise cheaper groceries for us in Scotland, it's only fair!
5p shopping bags on 01:17 - Oct 6 with 1924 viewsisawqpratwcity

5p shopping bags on 22:10 - Oct 5 by ozranger

In Victoria, Target have gone back to free bags.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

5p shopping bags on 09:37 - Oct 7 with 1813 viewsBluce_Ree

5p shopping bags on 20:35 - Oct 5 by kensalriser

We live in England where it rains f**king constantly.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

5p shopping bags on 09:42 - Oct 7 with 1808 viewsBluce_Ree

If you're just buying a little bit of lunch in ASDA and there's no f**king bag slags about to hook you up, go to the fruit and veg bit and nick a bag from there. Sorted. Their little bags there still have handles even though they are tiny and just there for fresh produce.

I'm more than happy to pay my 5p if there are some actual f**king bags at the tills to buy but ASDA have f**ked up and so that's not an option so I'll nick a bag from there until they unf**k the system and stop acting as if we're all BP flooding the oceans with leaky oil shit.

That said, I think this whole thing is well positive. I work in a shit town where there are always plastic bags in trees and shit like that. If f**king chavs can't look after their environment then they don't deserve nice things (or plastic bags).

5p shopping bags on 10:04 - Oct 7 with 1794 viewsbob566

what I'd like to see is an end to plastic drinks bottles. No hope of that though. Go back to the old system of getting money back on your glass bottles. They still do this in Germany. Works a treat.
5p shopping bags on 10:06 - Oct 7 with 1789 viewsBluce_Ree

5p shopping bags on 10:04 - Oct 7 by bob566

what I'd like to see is an end to plastic drinks bottles. No hope of that though. Go back to the old system of getting money back on your glass bottles. They still do this in Germany. Works a treat.

England is full of c*nts. You give them all glass bottles and you'll be walking around piles of shattered glass all the f**king time.

People who leave smashed beer bottles on the floor for dogs and kids to walk into are the worst humans and should be executed in front of their families.

5p shopping bags on 10:27 - Oct 7 with 1771 viewsstevec

5p shopping bags on 12:17 - Oct 5 by daveB

I've no problem with them getting rid of plastic bags, what i object to is them profiting from it and not actually getting rid of them. All this will do is make everyone feel better about the problem rather than actually solving it and make a few quid for supermarkets along the way

Well said Dave, the voice of reason.

I'm amazed how easily people are led by huge corporations as soon as they mention the word 'environment' (and I include some charities in this).

If they really do believe in environmentalism then pack up all your used plastic containers, don't put them in your refuse bin, just dump them back outside your local supermarket for them to recycle. See how environmental they are then.
5p shopping bags on 18:02 - Oct 7 with 1697 viewsSimonJames

Got my first "bag free" home delivery from Sainsburys. Driver just comes to the door with everything in plastic tote bins and I take the stuff out, no problem.

HOWEVER, all the loose bottles of bourbon, beer and wine, now there are no bags, are delivered in those 6 pack cardboard bottle carriers - which I'm not being charged for

100% of people who drink water will die.

5p shopping bags on 18:06 - Oct 7 with 1691 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

5p shopping bags on 10:06 - Oct 7 by Bluce_Ree

England is full of c*nts. You give them all glass bottles and you'll be walking around piles of shattered glass all the f**king time.

People who leave smashed beer bottles on the floor for dogs and kids to walk into are the worst humans and should be executed in front of their families.

Your worst humans changes quite a lot.

You should organise them into a league table to avoid confusion.
5p shopping bags on 18:06 - Oct 7 with 1691 viewsElHoop

I'm sure that you could get round it if you were really determined.

What if you bought 6 loose apples and then put a couple in each of three carriers and then paid for them self-service and left the shop, put the apples in the car and then went back with the bags and met the wife who was in a queue at the checkout with the rest of the shopping?
5p shopping bags on 18:10 - Oct 7 with 1686 viewsWatford_Ranger

5p shopping bags on 18:06 - Oct 7 by ElHoop

I'm sure that you could get round it if you were really determined.

What if you bought 6 loose apples and then put a couple in each of three carriers and then paid for them self-service and left the shop, put the apples in the car and then went back with the bags and met the wife who was in a queue at the checkout with the rest of the shopping?

Seems a lot of effort for 15p. Just leave a few in the boot of the car or pay 5p occasionally if buying things on the go. I can't believe anyone has a big issue with this.
5p shopping bags on 19:32 - Oct 7 with 1656 viewsloftboy

Or just pay the 5p you tight bastards!!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

5p shopping bags on 20:06 - Oct 7 with 1638 viewsQPR1882

I had a little corner shop in Staines try and sell me a bag for 5p, i told him to fck off and that he had no right to try and charge me.

I got it for nothing in the end but i bet a lot of small shops try and make a profit off this.
5p shopping bags on 20:14 - Oct 7 with 1630 viewsQPR1882

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24862/Trolley-Bags

I have been using these for a while now when i go shopping at Tesco / Sainsbury . No breakage, fits in the back of the car and sort out the shopping as you pack.

Simples
5p shopping bags on 21:48 - Oct 7 with 1594 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Well if it's going to charity I'll buy an extra two bags and sleep well knowing I've done the right thing
5p shopping bags on 21:49 - Oct 7 with 1593 viewsTW_R

5p shopping bags on 10:06 - Oct 7 by Bluce_Ree

Yeah - just imagine if the players' drinks bottles were made of glass. There'd be a f*cking mess all over the LR penalty areas every time Rob Green let one slip through his fingers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024