Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5p shopping bags 08:44 - Oct 5 with 12654 viewsexiled_dictator

shoppers will now be charged 5p for a plastic bag, if the retailer has more than 250 employees.
i am very happy that this long overdue change is coming into force from today.
many of our regular shoppers either reuse plastic bags, use bags for life, or even the ikea large bags. but inevitably, there are also donces who ask for a plastic bag having purchased a mars bar, or something that clearly does not require a bag.
i would love to have a no bag policy where you either enter the shop with a bag already, or simply don't use one at all. many purchases don't require them. i am talking specifically about convenience food purchases, not knicker buying in marks and sparks. i think most people already have enough bags at home, or in their car to justify such a policy.
stop providing plastic bags, just use what you have or purchase a bag for life.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 08:48 - Oct 5 with 2805 viewsMrSheen

There was a survey that the average home had 40 bags. They brought this in in Ireland years ago, when every tree had a bag hanging from it. Seems to have made a difference.
5p shopping bags on 08:59 - Oct 5 with 2785 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I don't mind paying 5p.

As long as they don't try and phase out plastic for paper. I'm not carrying my booze in paper bags end of.

With special reference to Yank 'grocery' bags.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

5p shopping bags on 09:05 - Oct 5 with 2773 viewsElHoop

Why can't they sell cool 'bags for life' though. They're all boring and shite.
5p shopping bags on 09:13 - Oct 5 with 2745 viewsTacticalR

Is this where everyone is supposed to feel good about businesses charging extra for something?

Air hostess clique

5p shopping bags on 09:15 - Oct 5 with 2742 viewsexiled_dictator

5p shopping bags on 09:05 - Oct 5 by ElHoop

well, you could always become the next multi gazillionaire by designing an iconic bag.
one with blue and white hoops running across it .....
or 'i am the stig'
or 'i used to be a premiership manager before this'
or something equally amusing.

just imagine all those zeros on your bank statement.
on yours, they will be after the numbers, and before the full stop, as opposed to mine that are all before the numbers and after the full stop .......

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 09:15 - Oct 5 with 2742 viewsLadbrokeR

5p shopping bags on 09:05 - Oct 5 by ElHoop

This is being discussed on radio London now gripping stuff.
5p shopping bags on 09:23 - Oct 5 with 2724 viewssimmo

Does the 5p per bag go to the supermarkets, etc though? That's the part I don't really appreciate, why should they have another way to make profit for an environmental issue?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

5p shopping bags on 09:29 - Oct 5 with 2706 viewsWatford_Ranger

5p shopping bags on 09:23 - Oct 5 by simmo

Does the 5p per bag go to the supermarkets, etc though? That's the part I don't really appreciate, why should they have another way to make profit for an environmental issue?

It goes to "charity" once "reasonable costs" are deducted. Which charity and what amounts to a reasonable cost I don't know.

It's a good idea overall as eventually people will re-use bags which has to be a good thing I guess. I probably won't to be honest but I'm forgetful and a bit lazy.
Login to get fewer ads

5p shopping bags on 09:32 - Oct 5 with 2693 viewssimmo

5p shopping bags on 09:29 - Oct 5 by Watford_Ranger

It goes to "charity" once "reasonable costs" are deducted. Which charity and what amounts to a reasonable cost I don't know.

It's a good idea overall as eventually people will re-use bags which has to be a good thing I guess. I probably won't to be honest but I'm forgetful and a bit lazy.

Ah OK, I didn't realise that. Pleased it's not all going in the coffers and think it's fair enough that they are still compensated in some way for their inconveninece and having to transition. Hopefully that's regulated and goes towards the proble - happy to give 5p to help deal with the issue.

5p shopping bags on 09:35 - Oct 5 with 2682 viewsElHoop

5p shopping bags on 09:23 - Oct 5 by simmo

Oh yeah lets set up a government sponsored 'plastic bag 5p charge audit unit' and ask supermarkets to set up controls and procedures relating to the purchase and sale of every bag with supporting photos of fresh fish and meat to back up 'exempt' bags so that there's a proper infallible system going on.

On the other hand the bag money can just go into the supermarket's margins like parking charges and delivery charges and every other cost and revenue that occurs and they try to make a profit at the end of the day.
5p shopping bags on 09:37 - Oct 5 with 2678 viewsDWQPR

This was all started by the Daily Fail a few years back when they were showing picture of Dolphins suffocating with plastic bags stuck over their snouts. Yet the Fail will still provide their weekend magazines in a plastic bag.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

5p shopping bags on 09:41 - Oct 5 with 2669 viewsdaveB

it's an absolute con, if shops were so worried about the damage to the environments they would stop bloody using them altogether but instead will now charge people for not having enough hands to carry shopping. Of course if you are buying a mars bar or a newspaper you shouldn't get a bag but if I need to get a few bits on the way home, some dinner or a bottle of wine I am now given an extra charge to carry the things out of the shop. Genius idea from supermarkets, they'll make a fortune on this.
5p shopping bags on 09:42 - Oct 5 with 2663 viewsElHoop

5p shopping bags on 09:41 - Oct 5 by daveB

it's an absolute con, if shops were so worried about the damage to the environments they would stop bloody using them altogether but instead will now charge people for not having enough hands to carry shopping. Of course if you are buying a mars bar or a newspaper you shouldn't get a bag but if I need to get a few bits on the way home, some dinner or a bottle of wine I am now given an extra charge to carry the things out of the shop. Genius idea from supermarkets, they'll make a fortune on this.

Er it's not the idea of the supermarkets - it's actually legislation.
5p shopping bags on 09:44 - Oct 5 with 2657 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 09:42 - Oct 5 by ElHoop

Er it's not the idea of the supermarkets - it's actually legislation.

of course it is, i'm sure they had no say in the matter and didn't push for it at all.
5p shopping bags on 09:45 - Oct 5 with 2651 viewsKonk

5p shopping bags on 08:59 - Oct 5 by Metallica_Hoop

I don't mind paying 5p.

As long as they don't try and phase out plastic for paper. I'm not carrying my booze in paper bags end of.

With special reference to Yank 'grocery' bags.

You can’t go wrong with Waitrose’s jute wine-carrying bags that allow you to cart six bottles of wine and a couple of bottles/can of beer around, without any of the booze hound clinking you get with your standard carrier bag arrangement. I rarely venture out of the house without one, and the admiring glances and comments it attracts when I load up in shops, are quite something. The bloke in my local corner shop must have seen it about 200 times, but he still shakes his head and says, “That’s brilliant”, every time he sees me packing the shopping away. They are terrible with carrier bags in there, by the way; once saw them put a Mars bar in a carrier bag — what’s that all about?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

5p shopping bags on 09:48 - Oct 5 with 2638 viewssimmo

As a man that uses old carrier bags in the bins at home, this is a double blow.

5p shopping bags on 09:50 - Oct 5 with 2629 viewsMetallica_Hoop

5p shopping bags on 09:45 - Oct 5 by Konk

You can’t go wrong with Waitrose’s jute wine-carrying bags that allow you to cart six bottles of wine and a couple of bottles/can of beer around, without any of the booze hound clinking you get with your standard carrier bag arrangement. I rarely venture out of the house without one, and the admiring glances and comments it attracts when I load up in shops, are quite something. The bloke in my local corner shop must have seen it about 200 times, but he still shakes his head and says, “That’s brilliant”, every time he sees me packing the shopping away. They are terrible with carrier bags in there, by the way; once saw them put a Mars bar in a carrier bag — what’s that all about?

I've just googled that, looks good.

I have a St Michael carrots 'bag for life' at work if I go to Mark's to get ale but transfer to me rucksack at work.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

5p shopping bags on 09:51 - Oct 5 with 2627 viewsElHoop

5p shopping bags on 09:44 - Oct 5 by daveB

of course it is, i'm sure they had no say in the matter and didn't push for it at all.

Oh right, the voice of Dave has spoken then.
5p shopping bags on 09:55 - Oct 5 with 2613 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bags for life are working a treat in Ireland. I have one and I keep all my plastic bags in it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

5p shopping bags on 09:57 - Oct 5 with 2605 viewsKonk

5p shopping bags on 09:50 - Oct 5 by Metallica_Hoop

I've just googled that, looks good.

I have a St Michael carrots 'bag for life' at work if I go to Mark's to get ale but transfer to me rucksack at work.

It's a bag I'm happy to endorse. A subtle, discreet stitched Waitrose logo at the base, it's a lovely product. Rigid rather than floppy like too many jute shopping bags. It's a bag that says, this is a man who's taking six bottles of wine round to his friends house for dinner, but doesn't want the neighbours to hear. It might just be the best thing I've ever purchased.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

5p shopping bags on 09:57 - Oct 5 with 2605 viewsElHoop

If you go to Waitrose and want the free newspaper for spending £5 and you've only spent £4.90 or something then you can just buy a bag or two now as there's not much that they sell for 5p.
5p shopping bags on 10:02 - Oct 5 with 2588 viewsTheBlob

We've had this scheme in Wales for some time and it's become second nature to take some sort of carrier bag in.
What alarms me is this "bag for life" concept.It plainly implies that I'll fall to bits and die in six months or so.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

5p shopping bags on 10:07 - Oct 5 with 2575 viewsElHoop

5p shopping bags on 10:02 - Oct 5 by TheBlob

We've had this scheme in Wales for some time and it's become second nature to take some sort of carrier bag in.
What alarms me is this "bag for life" concept.It plainly implies that I'll fall to bits and die in six months or so.

In fairness telling the English to do this is something on a different scale completely. The bag for life will have to become some sort of fashion item - it can't just be a non-design bag with some shitty supermarket name on the side. If you're buying a box of sheep dip cleanser or something then a battered vintage tesco plastic carrier is fine, but this is on a different level.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 10:08]
5p shopping bags on 10:08 - Oct 5 with 2566 viewsBluce_Ree

Most people will just end up paying 5p more per bag because this is a massive ballache. I've got some bags for life things but I forget them far too often.

They should just make plastic bags biodegradable instead of dicking about.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

5p shopping bags on 10:37 - Oct 5 with 2507 viewsbosh67

5p shopping bags on 10:08 - Oct 5 by Bluce_Ree

Most people will just end up paying 5p more per bag because this is a massive ballache. I've got some bags for life things but I forget them far too often.

They should just make plastic bags biodegradable instead of dicking about.

Biodegradable would have been the sensible change.

We are f*cking up the seas with bags and sh*t so it is about time we did something. Problem is that USA, Japan, China, and half of Europe are not signed up to this so it will make f*ck all difference!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024