Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5p shopping bags 08:44 - Oct 5 with 12590 viewsexiled_dictator

shoppers will now be charged 5p for a plastic bag, if the retailer has more than 250 employees.
i am very happy that this long overdue change is coming into force from today.
many of our regular shoppers either reuse plastic bags, use bags for life, or even the ikea large bags. but inevitably, there are also donces who ask for a plastic bag having purchased a mars bar, or something that clearly does not require a bag.
i would love to have a no bag policy where you either enter the shop with a bag already, or simply don't use one at all. many purchases don't require them. i am talking specifically about convenience food purchases, not knicker buying in marks and sparks. i think most people already have enough bags at home, or in their car to justify such a policy.
stop providing plastic bags, just use what you have or purchase a bag for life.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 10:49 - Oct 5 with 1189 viewsAntti_Heinola

5p shopping bags on 10:37 - Oct 5 by bosh67

Biodegradable would have been the sensible change.

We are f*cking up the seas with bags and sh*t so it is about time we did something. Problem is that USA, Japan, China, and half of Europe are not signed up to this so it will make f*ck all difference!

Come on Bosh - is that really a reason not to do it? Did Ireland say 'what's the point in us not doing it if England doesn't?'
Hate that argument, it makes zero sense. And at least China is investing huge amounts in clean energy tech, while our government is removing subsidies.

Dave. Just buy a small fold up bag. No bigger than your wallet. You can do it. It's easy.

Bare bones.

5p shopping bags on 10:59 - Oct 5 with 1177 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Joking aside, this has been a huge success in Ireland. Usage of plastic bags went down an incredible 95% immediately. Apart from the wastage factor, it has helped Ireland's very successful fight against litter.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

5p shopping bags on 11:18 - Oct 5 with 1147 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 10:49 - Oct 5 by Antti_Heinola

Come on Bosh - is that really a reason not to do it? Did Ireland say 'what's the point in us not doing it if England doesn't?'
Hate that argument, it makes zero sense. And at least China is investing huge amounts in clean energy tech, while our government is removing subsidies.

Dave. Just buy a small fold up bag. No bigger than your wallet. You can do it. It's easy.

I just don't see why if they are such a danger to the planet that we keep on making them, just stop making them and make a bag that's safer but shops can't make money out of that so a small charge to make out they are doing something makes everyone feel better
5p shopping bags on 11:20 - Oct 5 with 1142 viewsbatmanhoop

all for it, the oceans are awash with plastic
5p shopping bags on 11:23 - Oct 5 with 1137 viewsTonto

5p shopping bags on 10:08 - Oct 5 by Bluce_Ree

Most people will just end up paying 5p more per bag because this is a massive ballache. I've got some bags for life things but I forget them far too often.

They should just make plastic bags biodegradable instead of dicking about.

when my wife and i decided to bring our own bags, we used to forget them too - but its all about getting into a routine.

One idea is to leave some bags in the car. we have about 6 reusable bags, but normally only need 3 or 4, so by having some in the cupboard and some in the car, we have one with us 99% of the time.

So stop making excuses and just reuse the bags !

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

5p shopping bags on 11:32 - Oct 5 with 1126 viewsexiled_dictator

5p shopping bags on 11:20 - Oct 5 by batmanhoop

most oceanographers agree that approx 8% of the pacific ocean is covered in one form of plastic or another. but it is almost impossible to accurately measure the size of the plastic islands, as a lot of the plastic is actually below the surface. but what is not in dispute is the ecological damage it is causing. we have all seen those nasty pictures of dead or suffering marine wildlife caught up in bags and six-pack plastic holders.
you can blame whoever you want, or say it's too late to do anything about it, and there is plenty of sand to stick your head in, but doing nothing is the worst thing you could do.
if say 4p out of every 5p bag sold goes on the cleanup of the plastic, something might happen. or this morning there was some burke interviewed who said just shove them into space so they float away, or towards the sun.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 11:35 - Oct 5 with 1123 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 11:18 - Oct 5 by daveB

I just don't see why if they are such a danger to the planet that we keep on making them, just stop making them and make a bag that's safer but shops can't make money out of that so a small charge to make out they are doing something makes everyone feel better

You dont want shops making money?:I know I am stretching your argument, but it is a poor one to make.

I can not really understand the objection to reducing waste, biodegrable or otherwise. Ireland is an excellent example and I have no idea why it has taken so long for this country to follow its lead. That 95% reduction also reduces the lorries on the road ferrying these things around, as well as the energy and resources needed to produce them.

You do have a choice here. No one is insisting that you have to buy plastic bags on each shopping trip. it is a bit like arguing that you shouldnt have to pay such high electricity bills because you forget to turn lights off in rooms you arent using

On profit question. Do you think the supermarkets are being given the bags for free themselves? Do you think they base their profit/loss model on having 'to swallow' giving bags away for free? They try to maximise profits wherever they can, just in the same way BOGOF isnt really giving you the second item free
5p shopping bags on 11:38 - Oct 5 with 1118 viewsHantsR

I took a big box of apples to the pub last week and invited one and all to help themselves - I now realise they were just after the plastic bags I supplied rather than the tasty Bramleys!
Login to get fewer ads

5p shopping bags on 12:17 - Oct 5 with 1088 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 11:35 - Oct 5 by GetMeRangers

You dont want shops making money?:I know I am stretching your argument, but it is a poor one to make.

I can not really understand the objection to reducing waste, biodegrable or otherwise. Ireland is an excellent example and I have no idea why it has taken so long for this country to follow its lead. That 95% reduction also reduces the lorries on the road ferrying these things around, as well as the energy and resources needed to produce them.

You do have a choice here. No one is insisting that you have to buy plastic bags on each shopping trip. it is a bit like arguing that you shouldnt have to pay such high electricity bills because you forget to turn lights off in rooms you arent using

On profit question. Do you think the supermarkets are being given the bags for free themselves? Do you think they base their profit/loss model on having 'to swallow' giving bags away for free? They try to maximise profits wherever they can, just in the same way BOGOF isnt really giving you the second item free

I've no problem with them getting rid of plastic bags, what i object to is them profiting from it and not actually getting rid of them. All this will do is make everyone feel better about the problem rather than actually solving it and make a few quid for supermarkets along the way
5p shopping bags on 12:24 - Oct 5 with 1073 viewsAntti_Heinola

5p shopping bags on 11:18 - Oct 5 by daveB

So you're saying you need the chance to have a free bag because you never have one with you, so you resent paying 5p for it, but that the answer is don't make them at all?
I can't see your logic Dave. How will you do your shopping then? You'll have to buy a bag. Which is what you're saying you can't/won't do.
Bit weird mate!

Bare bones.

5p shopping bags on 12:24 - Oct 5 with 1072 viewsR_from_afar

5p shopping bags on 11:20 - Oct 5 by batmanhoop

Yes! Don't read this next bit if you are easily depressed: Around 8 million metric tonnes go into the oceans each year, according to the first rigorous global estimate published in Science.

Where does it all end up? Some of it ends up in the food chain, then we eat it.

Think of it this way: There were shops before there were plastic bags. The plastic bag is not the key scientific breakthrough which has finally enabled us to have Arndale Centres.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

5p shopping bags on 12:25 - Oct 5 with 1070 viewsAntti_Heinola

5p shopping bags on 12:17 - Oct 5 by daveB

I've no problem with them getting rid of plastic bags, what i object to is them profiting from it and not actually getting rid of them. All this will do is make everyone feel better about the problem rather than actually solving it and make a few quid for supermarkets along the way

But Dave - in Ireland it DID solve it. (not completely, obviously - but by an enormous degree). That's the point, isn't it?

Bare bones.

5p shopping bags on 12:36 - Oct 5 with 1055 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 12:17 - Oct 5 by daveB

It is claimed that they wont profit from them, believe that if you want. You maybe right and British people will remain addicted to plastic bags, but the case in Ireland shows that there can be a massive reduction. Incidentally, this is in place in Wales, or at least where I go on holiday. First holiday shop, I buy bags, because I forget every year. Almost everybody else in the supermarket seems to bring their won. I wonder if there are any figures from there?

On profit again. Why exactly shouldnt they profit from them. Do you object to them making a profit on the food you buy too? As with anything, this is passing responsibility back to the individual. If you dont want them to 'profit' from you, then bring your own bags

You are normally the most reliable person on here for sensible comment. On this occasion, I can not see the logic of your argument. Guess we will just have to disagree on this
5p shopping bags on 12:37 - Oct 5 with 1054 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 12:24 - Oct 5 by Antti_Heinola

So you're saying you need the chance to have a free bag because you never have one with you, so you resent paying 5p for it, but that the answer is don't make them at all?
I can't see your logic Dave. How will you do your shopping then? You'll have to buy a bag. Which is what you're saying you can't/won't do.
Bit weird mate!

I just think if they want to stop people using these bags the easy answer is to stop making them. What they have done it continued making them but now they are going to make money on it. I don't see how that solves anything.
5p shopping bags on 12:38 - Oct 5 with 1052 viewssimmo

5p shopping bags on 12:37 - Oct 5 by daveB

I just think if they want to stop people using these bags the easy answer is to stop making them. What they have done it continued making them but now they are going to make money on it. I don't see how that solves anything.

But what happens if you don't have a bag with you and then the supermarket don't have any for you to use because they've stopped making them? What happens then?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

5p shopping bags on 12:45 - Oct 5 with 986 viewsR_from_afar

5p shopping bags on 10:49 - Oct 5 by Antti_Heinola

"...while our government is removing subsidies": For renewables, yes, but interestingly, not for fossil fuels or nuclear. The UK spends 1.45% of total GDP on fossil fuel subsidies, according to the IMF.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

5p shopping bags on 12:46 - Oct 5 with 983 viewsDeepcutHoop

5p shopping bags on 12:37 - Oct 5 by daveB

This charge will definitely encourage people to use re-usable bags and the number of plastic bags needed will reduce over time, as has happened elsewhere.

This isn't rocket surgery....
5p shopping bags on 12:46 - Oct 5 with 982 viewsPommyhoop

5p shopping bags on 12:38 - Oct 5 by simmo

But what happens if you don't have a bag with you and then the supermarket don't have any for you to use because they've stopped making them? What happens then?

whalebone and ivory shopping baskets?

I'll get me coat..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

5p shopping bags on 12:47 - Oct 5 with 981 viewskingsburyR

How am I going to pick up my dog's shite now?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

5p shopping bags on 12:47 - Oct 5 with 981 viewsGetMeRangers

Thats easy. Pop in your car, get angry with yourself, for forgetting, or the government for banning the sale of plastic bags and drive home to collect your plastic bags that are no longer made and drive back to the supermarket because you dont want to shop locally because those shops are more expensive and dont have the range you want or your preferred prawn sandwich. Simples
5p shopping bags on 12:50 - Oct 5 with 975 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 12:36 - Oct 5 by GetMeRangers

It is claimed that they wont profit from them, believe that if you want. You maybe right and British people will remain addicted to plastic bags, but the case in Ireland shows that there can be a massive reduction. Incidentally, this is in place in Wales, or at least where I go on holiday. First holiday shop, I buy bags, because I forget every year. Almost everybody else in the supermarket seems to bring their won. I wonder if there are any figures from there?

On profit again. Why exactly shouldnt they profit from them. Do you object to them making a profit on the food you buy too? As with anything, this is passing responsibility back to the individual. If you dont want them to 'profit' from you, then bring your own bags

You are normally the most reliable person on here for sensible comment. On this occasion, I can not see the logic of your argument. Guess we will just have to disagree on this

i just don't think it's right they can use an environmental issue like this to make money, they should just stop making them rather than charging people for them.
5p shopping bags on 12:50 - Oct 5 with 974 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 12:47 - Oct 5 by kingsburyR

How am I going to pick up my dog's shite now?

More importantly, how are you going to hang your plastic bag filled with dod shite from a hedge or tree, as people seem to think is acceptable in the countryside, if the alternative, that you can buy, doesnt have handles
5p shopping bags on 13:00 - Oct 5 with 950 viewssimmo

I want to go Sainsburys but only have a Tesco carrier bag - what do I do??

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

5p shopping bags on 13:05 - Oct 5 with 939 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 12:50 - Oct 5 by daveB

i just don't think it's right they can use an environmental issue like this to make money, they should just stop making them rather than charging people for them.

Yet, it is an environmental issue. If people are not prepared to do what is relatively easy (bring re-usable bags with them) then you have to present them with a carrot. It is the same argument about tax on cigarettes. While the government are 'profiting' (though i know the argument over costs to the nation etc is long and fraught with counter points), most accept that raising the price of tobacco is a good thing, not only for discouraging those foolish enough to smoke but that it makes a contribution to the cost to the nation of caring for those that then develop tobacco related diseases. I speak as a smoker/ex smoker, dependant upon how sensible or otherwise I am at the time

Even if the supermarkets are going to profit from this, it is only from those that are either too disorgnaised, who arent bothered by the piddling charge or accept that it is a price they will have to pay for something they want
5p shopping bags on 13:05 - Oct 5 with 937 viewsQPR_Jim

Plastic bag touts outside the shops, that's what!

... or you buy a bag for life for 10p+ from those money grabbing sods.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024